C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question on harmonic balancer removal

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2019, 11:57 AM
Tennispro1986
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Question on harmonic balancer removal

I'm gonna be doing a cam swap in my Z06 soon and had a quick question on removing the harmonic balancer. I have the Matco GM harmonic balancer removal tool, so I have the right tool for it, but my question is which adapter to use to press against the snout. Do I use a regular cone shaped adapter or do I use one of those really long thin ones that goes into the crank? Thanks in advance.
Old 02-18-2019, 02:36 PM
laserdude2215
Burning Brakes

Received 389 Likes on 273 Posts

I don't know which kit you have, but you need to push on the surface of the crankshaft end - not anywhere near the threads. If you don't have the correct end protector, you can use a thick washer to protect the threads.

The procedure in the service manual has some very detailed requirements for correct removal and replacement!
Old 02-18-2019, 03:04 PM
Ghostnotes
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Use the cone. It is inherently softer than the crank and wont hurt it. I use one all the time.
Old 02-18-2019, 11:46 PM
Tennispro1986
Racer

Yeah I was gonna use the cone but the kit comes with some long pushrod looking adapters that appear to go in the crank and push on it somewhere inside. I was wondering if using one of those is the correct method.
Old 02-19-2019, 07:10 AM
Yourconfused
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Tennispro1986
Yeah I was gonna use the cone but the kit comes with some long pushrod looking adapters that appear to go in the crank and push on it somewhere inside. I was wondering if using one of those is the correct method.
I usually use the rod or a 1/4" extension, depending on which was missing at the time. lol
Old 02-19-2019, 07:23 AM
Tennispro1986
Racer

Originally Posted by Yourconfused
I usually use the rod or a 1/4" extension, depending on which was missing at the time. lol
Right. So instead of pushing against the end of the crank, you are pushing against the inside of the crank with that adapter, right? This as my specific question to this thread.
Old 02-19-2019, 08:20 PM
Yourconfused
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Tennispro1986
Right. So instead of pushing against the end of the crank, you are pushing against the inside of the crank with that adapter, right? This as my specific question to this thread.
Yes. Only thing you want to avoid is touching the threads, so depending on the taper of the cone adapter, it could be used as the other person said, or the fool proof way is to use the rod to push with. Good luck and don't worry too much about it as it is not all that hard. I hope you have a kick-*** impact to remove the bolt with though. Sometimes they can be a real pain. A long breaker bar with cheater also works if you keep the crank from spinning. Other easy and quick way is to use the starter to bump the motor over and use the breaker bar, already affixed in a way that will not allow it to move/rotate to break the bolt loose. Be careful with the starter method as it can lead to a @#$%#@# moment if care isn't taken. lol

Get notified of new replies

To Question on harmonic balancer removal

Quick Reply: Question on harmonic balancer removal