C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake pads for track

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2019, 01:07 PM
prosdoc
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Brake pads for track

I just got my C7 Z06 last summer and took it to the track once. It has the Z07 package and is totally stock. I generally do 4-7 track days a year and I'm wondering what you guys recommend for a track worthy pad? Is there a pad that satisfies both daily driving and track or will I need to swap out each time I go to the track? I have the ceramic rotors so are there certain pads to look at or stay away from? TIA
Old 02-24-2019, 06:06 PM
Oh4GTO
Drifting

Received 230 Likes on 131 Posts

I bought a few sets of nearly new stock pads off of members on here. Run PowerStop on the street. They do great and they serve me well at 8/10 speeds. Not trying to set records with them.
Old 02-24-2019, 06:09 PM
prosdoc
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I guess I should clarify that I’m looking for a solid track day pad more than anything else. So far, the Carbotech XP10 and Pagids look like good options but I’d like to hear from other members.
Old 02-24-2019, 08:30 PM
The HACK
Burning Brakes

Received 686 Likes on 338 Posts

Z07 package? As in Carbon Ceramic Matrix rotors?

You can only use the factory pads or Pagid RSC pads IMO. Anything made for steel rotors will ruin your expensive, $4,000+ a set rotor.

I track with my stock pads and they work FINE.
Old 02-25-2019, 09:19 AM
dfettero
Burning Brakes

Received 219 Likes on 136 Posts
Default Raybestos ST-43

Raybestos ST-43. On a base model with DBA 4000 slotted rotors they stop on a dime and give you change.
Just don't drive with them on the street except perhaps to and from the track.
Not sure if they make a ceramic rotor compatible pad.

Last edited by dfettero; 02-25-2019 at 09:22 AM.
Old 02-25-2019, 09:41 AM
fleming23
Melting Slicks

Received 594 Likes on 408 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C3 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by The HACK
Z07 package? As in Carbon Ceramic Matrix rotors?

You can only use the factory pads or Pagid RSC pads IMO. Anything made for steel rotors will ruin your expensive, $4,000+ a set rotor.

I track with my stock pads and they work FINE.
This and only this advice. The OEM pad is the best street/track combo pad you can get. Pagid does make a compatible pad as well, but at a significantly higher price that I am not sure is worth the price of admission.
Old 02-25-2019, 10:14 AM
KNSBrakes
Supporting Vendor

Received 362 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by fleming23
This and only this advice. The OEM pad is the best street/track combo pad you can get. Pagid does make a compatible pad as well, but at a significantly higher price that I am not sure is worth the price of admission.
I second that.

There has been some success with mid range track compounds like the GLoc R10 but the CCM brakes can become a struggle on track. Many users convert to iron.

Ken
Old 02-25-2019, 10:19 AM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,153 Likes on 5,984 Posts

If you have carbon brakes my input is moot, but if you swap to iron rotors I run Carbotech XP12/10 F/R and have for many years. Ran them on my C5 race car as well. Super easy on rotors and fantastic stopping power and feel. Carbotech makes an XP20, but it just chewed up rotors with no increase in stopping power. I run them on the street when I'm too lazy to put my street pads back in. They work, but tons of brake dust and squeel bad at times.
Old 02-26-2019, 04:01 PM
X25
Sr.Random input generator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,465 Likes on 1,022 Posts

My big problem with carbotech brakes is that they last a lot less than some of the other pads. I also prefer ST43s.
Old 02-27-2019, 09:57 AM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,153 Likes on 5,984 Posts

Originally Posted by X25
My big problem with carbotech brakes is that they last a lot less than some of the other pads. I also prefer ST43s.
Did you get rid of your white Stingray for a GS in your avatar?
Old 02-27-2019, 01:04 PM
X25
Sr.Random input generator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,465 Likes on 1,022 Posts

I got a Z06 w/Z07, and started a new build. Here are the links : )
The following users liked this post:
RapidC84B (02-27-2019)
Old 02-27-2019, 06:07 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by prosdoc
I just got my C7 Z06 last summer and took it to the track once. It has the Z07 package and is totally stock. I generally do 4-7 track days a year and I'm wondering what you guys recommend for a track worthy pad? Is there a pad that satisfies both daily driving and track or will I need to swap out each time I go to the track? I have the ceramic rotors so are there certain pads to look at or stay away from? TIA
I had the stock CCMs on my car through several track days. Since the pads were wearing fast and were over $500 from Amazon I decided to try some XP10s for the front. The XP10s wore down just as fast but I think they accelerated the degradation of my rotors. First thing I noticed was the pad material was further inboard than the stock brakes although both sets of pads were using the same backing plate. After 6 track days I noticed a deep groove starting to form on the inboard portion of the rotor just outside of the rotor ring bolts. This groove was on both sides of both front rotors. I also noticed the rotors starting to pock mark which increases pad wear. That is when I switched back to stock pads but it was too late. Here are several pictures of my rotors when I replaced them. The groove is hard to see in the rotor due to the patterns of the rotor but the last picture shows what happened to the stock pad I used after the groove started. Notice the ridge on the pad. That ridge was on both pads at both front brakes. Carbotech indicates they don't think their pad caused the issue but I think the placement of the pad material on the backing plate caused it to rub on the rotor differently than the stock pad does.

If you go the Pagid web site you will see they make race pad compounds specifically to match CCM rotors. Maybe they are providing misleading info but I doubt it. http://www.pagidracing.com/en/produc...amily-rsc.html . As mentioned above these pads are expensive and run about 50% more than the cost of stock pads from Amazon. By the way the C6 ZR1 front pads will work well. The only thing different about them is the wear sensor wiring harness length which is too short for the C7. The C6 ZR1 rotors will work as well but they don't have the hole for the little bolt that holds the rotor to the hub. On my car those little bolts got so hot they froze in place and I had to drill them out to remove the rotors so I could weigh them.

Bill
The following users liked this post:
JerryU (02-27-2019)
Old 02-27-2019, 10:33 PM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,396 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
I had the stock CCMs on my car through several track days. Since the pads were wearing fast and were over $500 from Amazon I decided to try some XP10s for the front. The XP10s wore down just as fast but I think they accelerated the degradation of my rotors. First thing I noticed was the pad material was further inboard than the stock brakes although both sets of pads were using the same backing plate. After 6 track days I noticed a deep groove starting to form on the inboard portion of the rotor just outside of the rotor ring bolts. This groove was on both sides of both front rotors. I also noticed the rotors starting to pock mark which increases pad wear. That is when I switched back to stock pads but it was too late. Here are several pictures of my rotors when I replaced them. The groove is hard to see in the rotor due to the patterns of the rotor but the last picture shows what happened to the stock pad I used after the groove started. Notice the ridge on the pad. That ridge was on both pads at both front brakes. Carbotech indicates they don't think their pad caused the issue but I think the placement of the pad material on the backing plate caused it to rub on the rotor differently than the stock pad does.

If you go the Pagid web site you will see they make race pad compounds specifically to match CCM rotors. Maybe they are providing misleading info but I doubt it. http://www.pagidracing.com/en/produc...amily-rsc.html . As mentioned above these pads are expensive and run about 50% more than the cost of stock pads from Amazon. By the way the C6 ZR1 front pads will work well. The only thing different about them is the wear sensor wiring harness length which is too short for the C7. The C6 ZR1 rotors will work as well but they don't have the hole for the little bolt that holds the rotor to the hub. On my car those little bolts got so hot they froze in place and I had to drill them out to remove the rotors so I could weigh them.

Bill
My friend had the same problem with the stock pads. I think that's more of a "the rotor is worn and chewing up pads and ready to go" than anything.
Old 06-07-2019, 04:46 PM
ShahulX
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 61 Posts

best iron/steel rotors to replace the ccm's with and pads? xp12 front/xp10 rear?
Old 03-24-2022, 02:10 PM
JRRZR1
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by RapidC84B
If you have carbon brakes my input is moot, but if you swap to iron rotors I run Carbotech XP12/10 F/R and have for many years. Ran them on my C5 race car as well. Super easy on rotors and fantastic stopping power and feel. Carbotech makes an XP20, but it just chewed up rotors with no increase in stopping power. I run them on the street when I'm too lazy to put my street pads back in. They work, but tons of brake dust and squeel bad at times.
Curious, which model Corvette are you running on the track? How many track days are you getting out of the Carbotech?
Old 03-24-2022, 02:12 PM
JRRZR1
Instructor

Now that ST43's are impossible to get, what pads are you running and how many track days do you get out of them?
Old 03-24-2022, 03:20 PM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 492 Likes on 419 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Originally Posted by JRRZR1
Now that ST43's are impossible to get, what pads are you running and how many track days do you get out of them?
What is your specific car and what tires are you on?
PH:216-780-8825.
Email: sales@ampdautosport.com
Web Site & Direct ordering http://ampdautosport.com/
All major CC and Pay Pal accepted.
Check out Promo code:z28
Old 03-24-2022, 03:40 PM
JRRZR1
Instructor

2019 zr1 with cup 2 tires. I run advanced with HPDE clubs

Get notified of new replies

To Brake pads for track