C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front wheel hop

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2019, 07:28 AM
wolfie5254
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Front wheel hop

I have a ‘14 C7 convertible with just over 20k miles. This is my seventh Corvette and so far the best! My problem is, and this just started, when I turn the steering wheel fully in either direction and engage the clutch to make a slow turn, the front wheels seem to hop? It doesn’t matter if the road surface is wet or dry. The tires are in good condition and at the correct pressures. I have asked this same question in Corvette Magazine but so far the Tech Nerd hasn’t responded.

I would appreciate any help from anyone out there who may have had a similar experience. Thanks in advance!
Old 03-16-2019, 07:37 AM
k24556
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 205 Likes on 171 Posts

Normal for Michelin PSS tires. Surprised you just now noticed it. Usually people notice it driving off the dealer's lot first time. The cure is to switch to all season tires, or avoid turning the steering wheel
The following users liked this post:
Avanti (03-16-2019)
Old 03-16-2019, 08:56 AM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,822 Likes on 2,066 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Called Ackerman effect. Details can be found in the Owner's Manual.

Elmer

Last edited by eboggs_jkvl; 03-16-2019 at 09:12 AM.
Old 03-16-2019, 03:46 PM
wolfie5254
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Thank you all

Just want to thank everyone that replied. It sure takes a load off my mind. One thing I didn’t mention, which might be why I didn’t notice it before, was the temperature. After reading more about the Ackermann Effect, the article states the wheel hopping is exacerbated by colder temperatures, around 40 degrees or less. When I took the car out of winter hibernation on Tuesday, I had to drive it around the development where I live in north central PA. It was colder than 40 degrees!

Thanks again!

Originally Posted by wolfie5254
I have a ‘14 C7 convertible with just over 20k miles. This is my seventh Corvette and so far the best! My problem is, and this just started, when I turn the steering wheel fully in either direction and engage the clutch to make a slow turn, the front wheels seem to hop? It doesn’t matter if the road surface is wet or dry. The tires are in good condition and at the correct pressures. I have asked this same question in Corvette Magazine but so far the Tech Nerd hasn’t responded.

I would appreciate any help from anyone out there who may have had a similar experience. Thanks in advance!
Old 03-16-2019, 06:02 PM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,217 Likes on 3,459 Posts

Just the nature of the beast (tires), as stated... and, in the Manual. So, GM knew it would drive people nuts and covered their corporate A*S. .

Get notified of new replies

To Front wheel hop

Quick Reply: Front wheel hop