C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel sensor re-calibration?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2019, 10:12 AM
Bajaholic
Burning Brakes

Received 388 Likes on 199 Posts
Default Wheel sensor re-calibration?

Weird situation? I took the car out for a run yesterday after sitting for a couple of months (winter) Received an alert on the DIC of low tire pressure,(happened as soon as I stared the car) checked all pressures and they were fine. I thought maybe run it for a bit and see if it works itself out. Nope...

Does any one know how to reset the sensors, short of taking it in? Yes I also checked my manual pressure gauge(s) , I tried 3 different ones and they all had same readings. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Old 03-17-2019, 03:28 PM
RonC7
Melting Slicks

Received 1,298 Likes on 859 Posts

Try the procedure in this thread:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ere-s-how.html

If this doesn't work you may have a bad sensor.

Good luck!

Ron
Old 03-17-2019, 05:23 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Received 2,241 Likes on 1,634 Posts

Bad sensor...
Old 03-17-2019, 05:40 PM
Bajaholic
Burning Brakes

I aired up all the tires to 35psi today and went for another ride. It brought up the tire readout to 27 on each tire, so the flat tire and check tire warning is gone, but they are all reading the wrong psi. I will try the reset mode next. Thanks for the link.
Old 03-17-2019, 09:33 PM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,396 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by Bajaholic
I aired up all the tires to 35psi today and went for another ride. It brought up the tire readout to 27 on each tire, so the flat tire and check tire warning is gone, but they are all reading the wrong psi. I will try the reset mode next. Thanks for the link.
What the heck? All 4 tires reading 8 psi low? How weird. Take it to the dealer.

Last edited by BrunoTheMellow; 03-17-2019 at 09:33 PM.
Old 03-18-2019, 10:36 AM
ersatz928
Melting Slicks

Received 714 Likes on 457 Posts

Or your mechanical gauge is reading 8 PSI too high......
Old 03-18-2019, 11:50 AM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

Received 911 Likes on 727 Posts

I've had problems. You can manually pair with a Kent-Moore EL-50448 TPMS Tire Pressure Monitor Sensor Activation Tool. It's about 100 bucks but for me well worth it. I have 3 sets of wheels and tires and always keep at least one of the spare sets in the garage with the car. I'm sure that's why I occasionally have an issue when I switch wheels.
Old 03-18-2019, 02:14 PM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ersatz928
Or your mechanical gauge is reading 8 PSI too high......
He did say he checked with 3 gauges ..
Old 03-19-2019, 09:05 PM
ersatz928
Melting Slicks

Received 714 Likes on 457 Posts

I looked thru the factory service manual, I see no procedure to change the "calibration" of the displayed pressure value. The only thing you can do is pair the sensor with the car.

It is just weird that all 4 sensors are inaccurate.

Did you drive the car a few miles and recheck against your gauge?

Last edited by ersatz928; 03-20-2019 at 10:08 AM.
Old 03-23-2019, 01:01 AM
Bajaholic
Burning Brakes

Re-checked all tires again today,

Tires were reading 35 on all 4 tires on the mechanical gauge,(pictured) and the hand help Ryobi hand held air compressor. Car readout (DIC) stated 25 in all 4 tires when started car. Went out for 1/2 hour ride, when got back tires showed 26 on fronts, 27 on rears. No warning notices. rechecked w/Mechanical and showed no noticeable difference.

I have it scheduled for an oil change next week, will mention to dealership and see what they say.

My question is: If the car is reading the low pressure for the tires on most cars and people don't check it w/gauge (assuming gauge is correct) could this be the reason for bending wheels, over inflated and making things too stiff??? Hmmmmmm?
Old 03-23-2019, 01:45 AM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Bajaholic
Re-checked all tires again today,

Tires were reading 35 on all 4 tires on the mechanical gauge,(pictured) and the hand help Ryobi hand held air compressor. Car readout (DIC) stated 25 in all 4 tires when started car. Went out for 1/2 hour ride, when got back tires showed 26 on fronts, 27 on rears. No warning notices. rechecked w/Mechanical and showed no noticeable difference.

I have it scheduled for an oil change next week, will mention to dealership and see what they say.

My question is: If the car is reading the low pressure for the tires on most cars and people don't check it w/gauge (assuming gauge is correct) could this be the reason for bending wheels, over inflated and making things too stiff??? Hmmmmmm?
You're the only one who's had this problem as far as we know. And no one fills tires blind. Usually the tire pump has a pressure gauge.
Old 03-23-2019, 08:45 AM
Bajaholic
Burning Brakes

I agree, but when weird things happen, makes your mind wonder.

Will be interesting to see what the dealership finds and if possibly it is just a system update thing?
Old 03-26-2019, 11:46 PM
Bajaholic
Burning Brakes

The mystery continues? Took the car out today, rechecked and everything was normal. I guess the car fixed itself? My only thought is the learn mode apparently worked, but took about 60+ miles to re calibrate it self.

I am going with the old line: Really it wasn't working... until I brought it in to be fixed....
Old 03-27-2019, 10:04 AM
subieworx
Pro

Received 130 Likes on 94 Posts

What year is yours? There was a change in the TPMS system I believe in 17 that got rid of the relearn procedure and uses different sensors.

I would be that not having being driven in a while caused the batteries to run low and read inaccurately. Once you started driving it more the sensors started reading properly again.
Old 03-27-2019, 03:40 PM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

Received 911 Likes on 727 Posts

Mine has done that. It would show the tire pressure even though it wasn't connected to the tires on the car. I just got one more set of wheels so I know it will go crazy now!
Old 03-27-2019, 05:43 PM
Bajaholic
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by subieworx
What year is yours? There was a change in the TPMS system I believe in 17 that got rid of the relearn procedure and uses different sensors.

I would be that not having being driven in a while caused the batteries to run low and read inaccurately. Once you started driving it more the sensors started reading properly again.
My car is a 17 GS. Sorry, I need to clarify, I did not run the car in the relearn procedures as shown in the earlier link. I just drove the car and it worked it self out... The car had been sitting for about 3 months due to the season(s) but it was on a tender.
I have not taken it in yet for my spring oil change, I still plan on having them scan it to see if there is any error codes that may clarify what/why it had issues. But for now, it is working correctly.

Get notified of new replies

To Wheel sensor re-calibration?

Quick Reply: Wheel sensor re-calibration?