C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Two New Motors...???Maybe #3

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2019, 01:42 PM
steve8003
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Two New Motors...???Maybe #3

I traded my 2006 convertible for a 2016 Stingray with only 3668 miles on it....heck the inside looked brand new....... got a decent deal on it price was in line with other low mile 16's..... I purchased from a dealer who specializes in Corvettes, ................ after about 1000 miles I took it in to my chevy dealer Nash Chevrolet in Lawrenceville GA for a slight metallic noise that was similiar to a metal shroud hitting something ...................service manager called me up and told me that my VIN revealed it had the torque tube replaced in a WV Dealer and they had done the job wrong and I would need a new engine.......After 3 weeks I got my car back and after a couple of weeks I had the car to lose all electrical and it shut down along a highway had it towed back to Nash, the service manager called me back in a few days to say they had replaced the starter, the 60 amp fuse block and the battery when they took it for a test drive it stalled out on them and they got it back to the shop after checking it out....... I had metal shavings in the oil and would need another engine........it has been 5 weeks this time because GM has been involved heavily in the repair..... they have had some VP of Brand Quality for Corvettes involved and all sort of documentation has had to be submitted to GM.......granted all these repairs are on GM and under warranty so far there is approximately 35,000.00 in work they have done.......it was supposed to be ready yesterday and when they took it for a test drive they heard a "noise" is this engine number 3......I guess when is GM gonna say enough is enough.......
Old 03-19-2019, 01:48 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,169 Likes on 5,991 Posts

Jesus dude... I've read about the bad torque tube swaps in the auto causing the crank to have improper runout and destroying the engine so that's not terribly uncommon. Apparently there's a very specific procedure to torque some input shaft clamp with a new TTY bolt and if not done just right it will mess up. But to have Motor 3 start messing up too. Might want to look into lemon laws in your state.

Last edited by RapidC84B; 03-19-2019 at 02:05 PM.
Old 03-19-2019, 02:01 PM
steve8003
8th Gear

That error in installation of that tube is exactly what has happened and this time they replaced the transmission and the Torque converter along with the motor.....in GA since I bought it used, the state's Lemon Law does not pertain to this car.......if I had bought new from the dealer there would have been a GM buy-back situation trust me I looked after this second motor............. but if they can just get this one right I will be happy........ mine is a Stingray that came with a 3LT interior and I love it .........I have had three vettes and this one has been a bear .......I just wonder if GM will say we need to just take this back........
Old 03-19-2019, 02:06 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,169 Likes on 5,991 Posts

An engine replacement shouldn't be rocket science for a GM tech, normally it's not. My father bought a 2004 Z06 that had a new motor from a dropped valve after a spring broke. Car was 100% trouble-free during the time he owned and the gentleman who bought it from him had it another 6-7 years.
Old 03-20-2019, 11:22 AM
JHEBERT
Drifting

Received 311 Likes on 220 Posts

Is it a z51? If so, do you think they cleaned out the dry sump when they replaced the engine?
Old 03-20-2019, 11:26 AM
steve8003
8th Gear

Nope it is a 2016.....I just picked it up I was told that a number of GM execs had to sign off on all the documentation and the dealer is having to submit 60 pages of pictures and documentation to get reimbursed for the work they have done.....we'll see how it goes....
Old 03-20-2019, 12:54 PM
Maxpowers
Le Mans Master

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,829 Posts

At least it sounds like your dealer is working with you and not against you. Good luck.
Old 03-20-2019, 02:38 PM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Received 1,086 Likes on 657 Posts

If it was me, after they installed the 3rd engine I would drive it our of the service department and around front of the dealer and trade it in or directly to CarMax to sell it.
Old 03-21-2019, 07:15 AM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Received 2,242 Likes on 1,635 Posts

I know exactly how you feel , I had the motor blow at 34,000 on my 2015 LT1 , broken valve spring ....dropped valve into motor , instant carnage ....Blew the fuses , so no electrical power to anything , after some initial confusion where they replace fuses and starter and I was going to have to pay for it all ... they realized the motor was locked up

Rick Henrick in Buford GA had the new motor in the car and ready to go in 10 days from the time the motor blew......all covered by warranty

I still worry about every little noise but what are you going to do .....I still love the car

Dave

Get notified of new replies

To Two New Motors...???Maybe #3

Quick Reply: Two New Motors...???Maybe #3