C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2019, 09:38 PM
seCen
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Clutch replacement

Has anyone changed their own clutch? Any tips? Did you drop the rear cradle or took out the engine to change? or would it be better to have a shop install? How much does it cost for a clutch change on a c7?

Mantic twin disc or Monster SC triple?
Old 04-04-2019, 09:02 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 561 Posts
Tech Contributor

I do all my own work so I can chime in. First, the Mantic is the best out there. Its a little more expensive, but it feels stock and holds great and has great road manners. I would recommend pulling the engine to do the clutch. It may be hard to get the bell housing off and have it clear the clutch assembly with the tight fit of the tunnel if you decided to try to do it from the backside.
Old 04-05-2019, 12:15 AM
seCen
Racer

Originally Posted by FYREANT
I do all my own work so I can chime in. First, the Mantic is the best out there. Its a little more expensive, but it feels stock and holds great and has great road manners. I would recommend pulling the engine to do the clutch. It may be hard to get the bell housing off and have it clear the clutch assembly with the tight fit of the tunnel if you decided to try to do it from the backside.
I've seen your how to's and it seems like taking the engine out is the way to go for me. I installed the A&A supercharger kit myself so it wont be the first time for me working around the engine. I do not have a lift so I can picture it being a pita if I dropped the rearend on jackstands.
Old 04-05-2019, 07:26 AM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by seCen
I've seen your how to's and it seems like taking the engine out is the way to go for me. I installed the A&A supercharger kit myself so it wont be the first time for me working around the engine. I do not have a lift so I can picture it being a pita if I dropped the rearend on jackstands.
Sounds like you already have a plan then!
Old 04-05-2019, 12:20 PM
seCen
Racer

Originally Posted by FYREANT
Sounds like you already have a plan then!
Taking the engine out and installing a clutch is on another level then putting in a supercharger though.

Which mantic do you have? The double or triple?
Old 04-05-2019, 01:47 PM
blue_bomber697
Drifting

Received 1,296 Likes on 479 Posts
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

I would also hands down recommend the Mantic. I had the twin-disk and it felt just like stock but way stronger. First time the clutch was installed the motor was already out.

My clutch is now out and being upgraded to a Triple disk, and the shop just dropped the rear end and brought the clutch out that way. Wasn't overly difficult on the lift apparently, but at home on jackstands might be another story.

Anyways, either option will work, just depends what is easier in your space. But definitely recommend Mantic.
Old 04-05-2019, 02:01 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by seCen
Taking the engine out and installing a clutch is on another level then putting in a supercharger though.

Which mantic do you have? The double or triple?
I have a triple.

Originally Posted by blue_bomber697
I would also hands down recommend the Mantic. I had the twin-disk and it felt just like stock but way stronger. First time the clutch was installed the motor was already out.

My clutch is now out and being upgraded to a Triple disk, and the shop just dropped the rear end and brought the clutch out that way. Wasn't overly difficult on the lift apparently, but at home on jackstands might be another story.

Anyways, either option will work, just depends what is easier in your space. But definitely recommend Mantic.
I wish them luck Mark.. lol. The triple is big and fills most the bellhousing. When I had the torque tube off and was looking at the bellhousing and clutch I was worried I wouldn’t be able to pull the housing away from the clutch enough to clear without hitting the chassis..

Get notified of new replies

To Clutch replacement

Quick Reply: Clutch replacement