Notices
C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Easy fix for banged up splitter

Old 06-30-2019, 09:58 PM
vetten76
CF Senior Member

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Easy fix for banged up splitter

I bought at least 6 carbon fiber splitters for my lowered C6 GS. I could not stop smashing parking blocks. I was so stoked when my new C7 rarely bottomed out. Iím hell bent on NOT covering the car in carbon fiber. I have the plain black plastic splitter in front. Well, I still keep hitting **** even though I have these wonderful cameras. My splitter had 3 bad gouges in 3 areas. I took it off and sanded down all the rough spots. Hereís the good part. I hit it with truck bed covering. With two carefully sprayed coats, you can not tell it isnít just a new splitter. Itís perfect. If I bang it up again, I can mask everything off and do a touch up. Am I the only one who smacks that sucker regularly?
Old 06-30-2019, 10:26 PM
Dcasole
CF Senior Member

Received 824 Likes on 683 Posts

Nope that's why I covered my poverty splitter with Carbon wrap. if I hit it I will just re-wrap it

Dave

The following 3 users liked this post by Dcasole:
427C62013A (07-02-2019), Krenath (07-03-2019), tiborrules (07-09-2019)
Old 06-30-2019, 10:33 PM
robert miller
CF Senior Member

Received 1,205 Likes on 1,096 Posts
Default Ttt

This will be what I will do also but I take my time in the front & turn my camera on & dont get per say that close to stuff.. So far so good.. Robert
Old 06-30-2019, 11:06 PM
vetten76
CF Senior Member

Tthis is the poverty splitter? It looks fantastic. Wrap is incredible today. I’ve tried wrapping a few times. I suck. I would have paid to have that covered. It looks outstanding.
The following users liked this post:
Dcasole (07-01-2019)
Old 06-30-2019, 11:11 PM
vetten76
CF Senior Member

This is after the truck bed spatter paint. Looks like plastic.
Originally Posted by robert miller View Post
This will be what I will do also but I take my time in the front & turn my camera on & dont get per say that close to stuff.. So far so good.. Robert
The following 5 users liked this post by vetten76:
427C62013A (07-02-2019), Ammo (06-30-2019), donkeyhoeti (07-01-2019), Powelltc1 (07-07-2019), Scoobydoobydoo (07-01-2019)
Old 06-30-2019, 11:46 PM
Ammo
CF Senior Member

Received 171 Likes on 134 Posts

I do the same, using back to black paint for plastic car parts.
Old 07-01-2019, 06:45 AM
Dcasole
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by vetten76 View Post
Tthis is the poverty splitter? It looks fantastic. Wrap is incredible today. Iíve tried wrapping a few times. I suck. I would have paid to have that covered. It looks outstanding.
Yep, it took me a while , lot of pulling , stretching , heating but it still looks good , had to small "lifts" right where that bend is in the center , I stretched it to far , . I had to reheat it and press down . It wrinkled but you can't see it from a foot away

Dave
Old 07-01-2019, 12:33 PM
Mr. Jones
CF Senior Member

Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

Nice,
I tried some wrap last week, results were not even close.
Painted it with black plastic paint.
Installed and it will do for now.
The following users liked this post:
Dcasole (07-01-2019)
Old 07-01-2019, 01:33 PM
Dcasole
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Mr. Jones View Post
Nice,
I tried some wrap last week, results were not even close.
Painted it with black plastic paint.
Installed and it will do for now.
When you say "not even close" , what was not close the results of the wrap or the match to any other carbon fiber

I tried painting it and did not like the look ( I am terrible with paint lol ) wrapping it took a lot of time , stretching and heating , always had to think about what was my next move was going to be and what did I need to do ...

As far as the matching the wrap to what's on the car , man there were so many choices on Amazon I was not sure what to get that would match my carbon fiber side skirts so I just took a chance . The wrap is not as shiny and if I cover it again I would purchase a wrap with more gloss but it's close enough

I have already hit the splitter on a concrete parking bumper and the only thing that happened is the plastic bent when hit which caused the wrap to "lift" and tear a bit right where it bends to go up towards the bumper , a little heat and I was able to press it back down , I can see it but 99% of the people who look at it don't. One of these days I will recover it but it is still better than paying the insane amount of money and then hit it and its destroyed 😁😁😁😁

Dave
Old 07-01-2019, 03:39 PM
Mr. Jones
CF Senior Member

Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

My skill at installing the wrap was not close to yours.
It was my first attempt.
I have plenty of material should I try again.
As for painting I am not to bad at it.
I have some air brush experience and basic painting skills and tools.
Time was short so rattle can this time.
Old 07-07-2019, 08:48 AM
69 L46 4 Speed
CF Senior Member

Received 119 Likes on 99 Posts

I hit a high sidewalk curb and put a pretty deep gouge along with some smaller one on the right side. I sanded it all out and then used the plastic renew coating to bring it back to the matte finish. It looks good and will last a long time. I will probably order a replacement to have on hand because I know as careful as I try to be, stuff happens. I replaced the splitter on my 13 GS at 30,000 miles. The lower edge looked like someone took a cheese grater to it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Easy fix for banged up splitter

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: