C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Soler Engineering TB and TC review

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2019, 08:49 AM
Exact1
Burning Brakes

Received 184 Likes on 114 Posts
Default My Soler Engineering TB and TC review

2019 GS, A8. My previous Vette was a 2013 C6, M6. Manual shifting was great fun, and I do miss it, but I also missed the simplicity of an automatic in traffic. So, A8 with the triple flush and a Range. So far, so good.

I had read just about every post about throttle bodies and throttle controllers and decided to give Soler Engineering a try. FYI, I messaged Mike and inquired about a CF discount, and received one, so give it a try. I purchased the LT1 TB and added the TC for an extra $75.

First up was the TB installation:

I won't post pics of the TB installation, because it is so easy to follow the well documented instructions that anyone can do it. Plenty of pics to help you understand but it's 4 bolts, a sensor, and 2 screw clamps. It took all of 10 minutes.

I didn't want to disconnect the battery, and didn't want to go to a dealership, so I opted for option B, the Abbreviated relearn procedure. It's very well documented, and quite simple.

First thing that I noticed upon start up was an initial rough idle that only lasted a few seconds. Then it smoothed right out. RPMs for the A8 stayed right at 650, M7 should be slightly lower at 600.

Followed the rest of the procedure, then took it out for a test drive. Off idle low speed response was much improved, I was pretty happy. No stumble exhibited.

On to the TC installation:

Again well documented and pretty simple. At first I mounted the display too low, and couldn't see it while driving. I rerouted the cable and attached the display just to the right of the HUD buttons.

Mounted too low. Couldn't see display while driving.

Remounted display. I fished the cable thru a small opening left of the steering column.

Completed installation.

The TC really compliments the performance of the TB. The off idle response now is incredible, much, much smoother. Acceleration now seems quicker, lots more fun.

Hope the pics help, I didn't find many on the Forum when I went to install mine.
The following 3 users liked this post by Exact1:
kevstaarr (02-05-2020), MDmotorman (06-01-2020), Mike@SolerEngr (10-22-2019)
Old 10-22-2019, 09:41 AM
The Successful Plumber
Burning Brakes

Received 577 Likes on 358 Posts

Under the carpet and behind the pedal mounting suggestion.

The following 3 users liked this post by The Successful Plumber:
kevstaarr (02-05-2020), MDmotorman (06-01-2020), Mike@SolerEngr (10-22-2019)
Old 10-22-2019, 11:05 AM
Mike@SolerEngr
Supporting Vendor

Received 530 Likes on 270 Posts

Thank you Exact, Plumber. Lots of possibilities.

Plumber, about the first picture, that is as concealed as it can get. I guess you had to make a little cut or puncture on the carpet; right?
www.solerengineering.com

Old 10-22-2019, 11:21 AM
The Successful Plumber
Burning Brakes

Not at all Mike. I just connected it though the hole in the carpet that already exists at the base of the pedal, behind the pedal. It’s completely hidden and does not come in contact or interfere with the travel of the pedal. Very clean! Also I did not stick the controller to the carpet so I can turn and look at it to change the setting. Great device Mike, Thanks!

Last edited by The Successful Plumber; 10-22-2019 at 11:22 AM.
Old 10-22-2019, 11:33 AM
Mike@SolerEngr
Supporting Vendor

Very clean, indeed. We have been asked by customers to extend the controller-connector harness for this purpose, but doing it the way you have, that may not be necessary. Thanks for posting.
Old 10-22-2019, 11:37 AM
The Successful Plumber
Burning Brakes

If the wires were a couple of inches longer it would make it a bit easier to install, it’s a little tight back there.

Last edited by The Successful Plumber; 10-22-2019 at 12:03 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Mike@SolerEngr (10-22-2019)
Old 10-22-2019, 11:45 AM
Mike@SolerEngr
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by The Successful Plumber
If the wires were a couple of inches long it would make it a bit easier to install, it’s a little tight back there.
I'll try to do it and determine the extra length, but would like to know your opinion too; how much longer you reckon it would need to be?
Old 10-22-2019, 12:02 PM
The Successful Plumber
Burning Brakes

Corrected my previous post...

If the wires were a couple of inches longer it would make it a bit easier to install, it’s a little tight back there.”

I’m thinking just 2 more inches longer would be good.

Last edited by The Successful Plumber; 10-22-2019 at 12:05 PM.
Old 10-22-2019, 01:16 PM
Exact1
Burning Brakes

Mike, I wanted to conceal my controller as well, but didn't think that I'd have enough harness length to get it behind the carpet. I may try again now that I see that it can be done, but a longer harness wouldn't hurt.
Mike@SolerEngr (10-22-2019)
Old 10-22-2019, 03:56 PM
08velocity
Drifting

Received 121 Likes on 88 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Mike, I currently have the Tony Mamo TB and its fantastic ! Just curious how your TC unit would work with this TB or has anyone else used your're Tc with a TB other than yours? Thanks Scott.
Old 10-22-2019, 04:31 PM
Mike@SolerEngr
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by 08velocity
Mike, I currently have the Tony Mamo TB and its fantastic ! Just curious how your TC unit would work with this TB or has anyone else used your're Tc with a TB other than yours? Thanks Scott.
Hi, Scott. Yes, it works with any TB. That is, it will sweep along whichever TB characteristic curve you have, OEM or aftermarket.

It is designed so it is quasi-linear at the center of its range when used with our TB's, but I bet you can find a spot you'll prefer rather than stock even if not used with our TB's.

Thanks,
Old 10-22-2019, 07:53 PM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

Received 911 Likes on 727 Posts

Originally Posted by 08velocity
Mike talked me into taking my Mamo TB off and trying his. I sold my Mamo. It's worth it. I got the TC as well and mounted mine behind the carpet. I ran the cable up the console and mounted the controller inside the compartment in the center console beside the usb ports. Works great there.
Old 10-22-2019, 08:02 PM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,396 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by badhabit_wb
Mike talked me into taking my Mamo TB off and trying his. I sold my Mamo. It's worth it. I got the TC as well and mounted mine behind the carpet. I ran the cable up the console and mounted the controller inside the compartment in the center console beside the usb ports. Works great there.
I've never felt an issue with throttle response but can be swayed. What improved ?
Old 10-22-2019, 08:06 PM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

Originally Posted by BrunoTheMellow
I've never felt an issue with throttle response but can be swayed. What improved ?
Bruno, Mike told me to try his throttle body and if I didn't like it to send it back. I really didn't have anything to lose so I gave it a shot. I liked it better so I sold the Mamo. I'm fairly sure he'd do the same for you. I added the throttle controller a couple of days later and love the combo. The car is much more responsive. In tour mode I keep it at 2.5 in track mode I still haven't decide exactly where it needs to be. Right now I'm running with it at 1.3.
Mike@SolerEngr (10-23-2019)
Old 10-22-2019, 09:55 PM
Exact1
Burning Brakes

Default Rerouted the TC harness under the carpet.

Tucked the harness back behind the carpet. The carpet is already factory split to accomodate the factory pedal connector. Tight fit. I checked and double checked to ensure that the Soler harness was not pinched.

Well hidden and looks factory.

Still prefer this location for the display.

Last edited by Exact1; 10-22-2019 at 09:59 PM.
Old 10-23-2019, 07:26 AM
C7LOU
Drifting

Received 147 Likes on 69 Posts

Just placed an order for the TC. I have the TB already and it made a huge change to the off idle stumble. I've been driving manual transmission cars for many years and I still stall my Z06 more than any other car I've owned. I'm not sure why I can't figure it out, but it sure is embarrassing! Maybe the TC will help.
Old 10-25-2019, 01:37 PM
TCRVETTES
Advanced

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

I installed a Throttle Control a few weeks ago in my 19 GS M7. Sure could of used it when I had my 14 Stingray M7. The delay when in Touring mode was very frustrating. If Touring was like the Track throttle setting it would be bearable. But with the new TC I can adjust for rain or dry and enjoy what seems like a lot more power.

I ran the wires under the carpet using the existing hole, then ran the control in the center console by drilling a hole large enough for the connector.

Solar has a great product here and I would highly recommend the TC.

I know it needs to be vacuumed out : )

Get notified of new replies

To My Soler Engineering TB and TC review

Old 10-25-2019, 08:16 PM
FRED HAMBLE
Melting Slicks

Received 169 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by TCRVETTES
I installed a Throttle Control a few weeks ago in my 19 GS M7. Sure could of used it when I had my 14 Stingray M7. The delay when in Touring mode was very frustrating. If Touring was like the Track throttle setting it would be bearable. But with the new TC I can adjust for rain or dry and enjoy what seems like a lot more power.

I ran the wires under the carpet using the existing hole, then ran the control in the center console by drilling a hole large enough for the connector.

Solar has a great product here and I would highly recommend the TC.

I know it needs to be vacuumed out : )
How did u get the wire to the console?? Did u have remove some of he console??
Fred
Mike@SolerEngr (10-26-2019)
Old 10-26-2019, 03:30 PM
Mike@SolerEngr
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by BrunoTheMellow
Bruno, everything, it feels like a different car, specially if you do both mods. There is a lot of technical info here at CF and on our website, but the way I like to describe it, in short, is that the car now drives the same way its styling suggests. A true drivers car; nimble, responsive, and confidence inspiring. Feel free to call if you have any questions.

You can't go wrong, try them. We are confident about swaying your opinion. If you do not think this it is worth it, we'll send you a return label and give a full refund. No questions, no grief, as simple as that.

Thanks,
Old 10-26-2019, 03:55 PM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Mike@SolerEngr
Bruno, everything, it feels like a different car, specially if you do both mods. There is a lot of technical info here at CF and on our website, but the way I like to describe it, in short, is that the car now drives the same way its styling suggests. A true drivers car; nimble, responsive, and confidence inspiring. Feel free to call if you have any questions.

You can't go wrong, try them. We are confident about swaying your opinion. If you do not think this it is worth it, we'll send you a return label and give a full refund. No questions, no grief, as simple as that.

Thanks,
Careful Bruno. That's how he sold me and I already had a Mamo throttle body. Seriously though the 2 together are well worth the money. I sold my other tb to defray part of the cost.
Mike@SolerEngr (10-26-2019)

Quick Reply: My Soler Engineering TB and TC review