C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bought used Z06 cammed, headers but feels slower than stingray help

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2020, 10:34 PM
charlezthegreat
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bought used Z06 cammed, headers but feels slower than stingray help

I just bought a Z06 has had some work done. I can hear that is cammed, it has headers, cold air intake and honestly I don't know what else.

It sounds insane in a good way but the only problem is that it feels slow. It feels slower than my stock stingray I traded it in for.. Then the other I tried my 0-60 timer and I was hitting 0-60 in 5 seconds..

Anyways I was wondering if anyone had suggestions in what could be wrong. I'm thinking just needs a new tune. By the I have bridgestone S007a as my rear tires. I'm thinking they should be fine. My buddy has Z06 with pilot sports 4s and says he hits 0-60 3.1 seconds on his manual.. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 08-18-2020, 11:16 PM
Signman150
Cruising

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Something is definitely wrong. I see no way to diagnose this on a forum.

You need to take your Vette to a reputable shop to trouble shoot the problem.
The following 3 users liked this post by Signman150:
charlezthegreat (08-19-2020), MeanRay1 (08-20-2020), robert miller (08-20-2020)
Old 08-19-2020, 12:38 AM
Creatre
Burning Brakes

Received 254 Likes on 188 Posts

Get a tune and the car on the dyno to see what’s up.

Sounding like it has a cam can also be just the car having an issue like only firing on 7 cylinders or something. Or timing could be off. Do you have a cam card or know the details?
The following 2 users liked this post by Creatre:
charlezthegreat (08-19-2020), raylo (08-19-2020)
Old 08-19-2020, 01:27 AM
dmaxx3500
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,183 Likes on 748 Posts

turn the nannies off
Old 08-19-2020, 02:00 AM
charlezthegreat
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Creatre
Get a tune and the car on the dyno to see what’s up.

Sounding like it has a cam can also be just the car having an issue like only firing on 7 cylinders or something. Or timing could be off. Do you have a cam card or know the details?
No, I don't have much details. I'll have to look into what is a cam card. I hope its nothing major.
Old 08-19-2020, 02:02 AM
charlezthegreat
Intermediate

Do you mean the traction control? I tried launching without traction control and man it did a fat burnout.
Old 08-19-2020, 02:05 AM
charlezthegreat
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Signman150
Something is definitely wrong. I see no way to diagnose this on a forum.

You need to take your Vette to a reputable shop to trouble shoot the problem.

I'm glad i'm not the only one thinking something is definitely wrong. I setup an appointment Tuesday for a data log.
Old 08-19-2020, 10:14 AM
Internets_Ninja
Safety Car

Received 1,290 Likes on 849 Posts

Does it have cats? Are they clogged?
Old 08-20-2020, 03:00 AM
charlezthegreat
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Internets_Ninja
Does it have cats? Are they clogged?
I don't have cats
Old 08-20-2020, 01:49 PM
cdq85
Instructor

Received 142 Likes on 73 Posts

Have you checked to make sure they put the supercharger back on?
The following users liked this post:
MeanRay1 (08-20-2020)
Old 08-20-2020, 03:00 PM
charlezthegreat
Intermediate

Originally Posted by cdq85
Have you checked to make sure they put the supercharger back on?
well, I see the PSI gauge go up..
Old 08-20-2020, 03:08 PM
Sloblk8
Drifting

Received 129 Likes on 88 Posts

Just out of curiosity how does it feel when you do a highway pull, does it feel slow there as well? You should do a something like a 40 to 80 pull on the timer and see how it compares to others. You won't have to worry about traction being an issue then. Worse case you'll have a good baseline when it's running better to compare it to.
Old 08-20-2020, 03:59 PM
cdq85
Instructor

Received 142 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by charlezthegreat
well, I see the PSI gauge go up..
I was joking lol. I agree with doing a highway pull. If you have nannies on, it can really kill the power on these monsters. I'm not saying something isn't wrong, but all that power is pretty easy to get traction control taking over.
charlezthegreat (08-21-2020)
Old 08-20-2020, 10:32 PM
black.z51.c6
Drifting

Received 92 Likes on 67 Posts

Maybe have air in the supercharger coolant, may need to purge that
Old 08-21-2020, 12:05 AM
charlezthegreat
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Sloblk8
Just out of curiosity how does it feel when you do a highway pull, does it feel slow there as well? You should do a something like a 40 to 80 pull on the timer and see how it compares to others. You won't have to worry about traction being an issue then. Worse case you'll have a good baseline when it's running better to compare it to.
I'll try that. My tires seem new though. Maybe the tires aren't to good? I have bridgestone potenza s007a on both rears right now.
Old 08-21-2020, 08:51 AM
Elk
Le Mans Master

Received 3,257 Likes on 1,723 Posts

The tires are fine.

There is no street tire which will retain traction from a stop upon WOT with these cars. A highway pull will tell you whether the car is making power.
Old 08-21-2020, 10:43 AM
Sloblk8
Drifting

Received 129 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by charlezthegreat
I'll try that. My tires seem new though. Maybe the tires aren't to good? I have bridgestone potenza s007a on both rears right now.
It's just taking the potential for inconstancy out of the equation. Basically something that you can match with others without having to worry about if you launched it well, street with good traction, etc. Just a good way to get data. Is it spinning at all? I have a GS and even with traction control on I spin quite a bit. And don't quote me as it's been a while but I think my car did a 40 to 80 in 3.6 if memory serves. Yours should be much faster, if it isn't then I'd say there's definitely an issue. Also do you have a manual or auto?

Get notified of new replies

To Bought used Z06 cammed, headers but feels slower than stingray help

Old 08-21-2020, 07:42 PM
DreamMachine7
Instructor

Received 69 Likes on 37 Posts

First thing I'd do is try to pull any stored codes in the computer. If no stored codes then datalog if there are any misfires. If you don't have the ability to do that then take it to a shop that will do it for you, preferably one with a dyno and can also graph baseline power and torque.

Some possible causes of low power are: ignition misfires, timing retard due to knock or faulty knock sensors, unmetered air entering the combustion chamber, bad sensors (O2, MAF, MAP) putting the car into limp mode though those usually throw codes and limp mode is an obvious very low power situation not just slightly underpowered. Clogged CATs, but you said there are no CATs on it. None at all? There are four stock right?

Let's see what else...air restriction, fuel restriction. Clogged fuel injector(s) or bad fuel injector(s). Loss of compression in one or more of the cylinders. Can't think of any more right now. Good luck, please let us know what it was when you find out. It may help someone else someday searching for what is wrong with his ride.
charlezthegreat (08-22-2020)
Old 08-22-2020, 01:01 PM
-ZEEOHSIX-
Burning Brakes

Received 540 Likes on 285 Posts

A buddy of mine recently purchased a C7Z that came with some modifications. The car was traded in without cats and the dealership (legally required to) put cats in there. However, in their messing about, they unplugged an O2 sensor and didn't plug it back in. He, too, was putting down some abysmal power and wasn't able to figure out what was going on until he went and had codes scanned and thoroughly went through the car. He took off the generic cats, replaced the O2 (the wire had gotten singed from just dangling there) and now his car runs like a champ.

If they sold you a car without cats, that is rather illegal but, if that's the case, then the car has to be tuned if it doesn't have a check engine light. From there, go step by step as you would when it comes to diagnosing any issue. You'll find it eventually--worst case scenario, bring it to a shop that specializes in LTx engines and have them check over the car.
Old 08-26-2020, 07:03 PM
charlezthegreat
Intermediate

In case anyone was wondering. My car is working good now! I took it to the tuner yesterday. They had a look at it, found the problems and tuned it.

The first issue I had with my car it had no intercooler fluid. I have this intercooler expansion tank and there is a lever on there that if you twist it open, it dumps out all the fluid. Well, it was twisted open. The lid also did not seal on the expansion tank. My rear tires were on the high side low 40s psi. We dropped it down to lower 30s. Then My car also was low on oil...

I really should of check a lot of this stuff out before hand. I just thought the dealer would of made sure the fluids were right before trying to sell it. Anyways, I am going to get an oil change soon even though it shows i'm at 90%. I just don't trust what the dealer could have put in for oil at this point.

My cars baseline was at 437whp. That's why it felt so slow. Once we put in the intercooler fluids and oil it went up to around 600whp. It still wasn't running as good as it should. After that we had it tuned and got it up to 668whp. Now it feels like it has power the way it should 😁
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
668whp.pdf (514.0 KB, 67 views)
File Type: pdf
Baseline.pdf (673.9 KB, 44 views)

Last edited by charlezthegreat; 08-28-2020 at 12:47 AM.

Quick Reply: Bought used Z06 cammed, headers but feels slower than stingray help