C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C7 Z06 Reduced Power Code P16F3

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2020, 12:23 PM
tiborrules
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Default C7 Z06 Reduced Power Code P16F3

I have a 15 Z06 with Edelbrock eforce 2300 supercharger, head work, comp cam with 711whp. Typically at a road course, I can get around 15 minutes of track time before my IAT reaches 175 and my car goes into reduce power mode. In session 4, I only got 1.5 laps or a little over 2 minutes when it went into reduced power mode. My IAT was 156, coolant temp was 205. Code P16F3 (control module redundant memory performance) was stored, which is the same code stored when my IAT hits 175 after 15 min of track time. Any ideas?

I cleared the code and the engine ran normal afterwards. I decided not to do any more track sessions that day. I data logged this session with HP Tuners and can post it if needed.
Old 11-29-2020, 02:12 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,958 Likes on 5,346 Posts

Originally Posted by tiborrules
I have a 15 Z06 with Edelbrock eforce 2300 supercharger, head work, comp cam with 711whp. Typically at a road course, I can get around 15 minutes of track time before my IAT reaches 175 and my car goes into reduce power mode. In session 4, I only got 1.5 laps or a little over 2 minutes when it went into reduced power mode. My IAT was 156, coolant temp was 205. Code P16F3 (control module redundant memory performance) was stored, which is the same code stored when my IAT hits 175 after 15 min of track time. Any ideas?

I cleared the code and the engine ran normal afterwards. I decided not to do any more track sessions that day. I data logged this session with HP Tuners and can post it if needed.
I don't see any relationship between that code and IAT. The code is telling you to replace the transmission control module. The conditions required to set that DTC are when the TCM detects an internal failure or incomplete programming during TCM initialization. If you are also getting P0602 that means the TCM programming is screwed up and it should be reprogrammed. If you continue to get P16F3 after reprogramming then you need to replace the TCM. Replacing the TCM also means you have to do solenoid valve recharacterization programming and a transmission service fast learn procedure.

Bill
Old 11-29-2020, 02:30 PM
tiborrules
Racer

I am not getting any other codes at this time. My chevy dealer told me that it was ECM related so I had them replace the ecm and then I reflashed my tune. I did this several months ago and still get the code periodically. A tuner told me it wasn't unusual for that code to be set after a vehicle has been tuned and to not worry about it. This code shows up every time my vehicle goes into reduced power mode. Sounds like I need to go to a different chevy dealer and have them check out that code. Thanks Bill!!
Old 11-29-2020, 03:56 PM
MCK_Z06
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

Yeah, I think the trans module is causing limp mode as some safety measure. You did not say which IAT reading that was but I have seen higher temps on the track and not triggered limp mode in a 860whp(M7) car.
You did not post oil and MAT temps but based on you engine temps I don't think the delta in oil temp would be high enough to cause limp mode.

During the summer my water and oil temps run much higher than that every session with MAT/IAT3 temps exceeding 200* when going WOT.
This pulls a lot of timing and causes some additional heat in the fluids but everything stabilizes around 230* engine, 261+ oil & trans. Only the IAT/MAT temps fluctuate from there depending on throttle application.
During cooler months everything can run 30* lower in a similar scenario.
As a reference nobody I know personally with a tuned trans throw any codes that cause limp mode as a matter of operating the car.

EDIT: Wait maybe I misread, is this an automatic that has a tuned trans? or did you just tune the ECU and not the trans or neither? lol..

Last edited by MCK_Z06; 11-29-2020 at 04:06 PM.
Old 11-29-2020, 04:12 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by tiborrules
I am not getting any other codes at this time. My chevy dealer told me that it was ECM related so I had them replace the ecm and then I reflashed my tune. I did this several months ago and still get the code periodically. A tuner told me it wasn't unusual for that code to be set after a vehicle has been tuned and to not worry about it. This code shows up every time my vehicle goes into reduced power mode. Sounds like I need to go to a different chevy dealer and have them check out that code. Thanks Bill!!
I am including a couple of dimly lighted pictures of the FSM pages showing this code. If you read the Action Taken section I think you will agree the code is what is causing your reduced power issue.

Bill
Old 11-29-2020, 07:33 PM
tiborrules
Racer

Sorry guys, I forgot to mention it is a manual trans car. I thought I included that important detail but didn't. During my 15 minute session with ambient temp around 65 degrees, oil temps around 240, coolant 210 and trans 230. I am accelerating down a straight each time the car goes into reduced power mode.

Last edited by tiborrules; 11-29-2020 at 07:49 PM.
Old 11-29-2020, 11:00 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Sort of the same thing except the affected module is the ECM, not the TCM. From the FSM:

When the code is applied to a manual transmission car it involves the ECM and indicates there is an internal fault in the ECM. As noted in the Diagnostic Aids you will have to check the charging system and the power and ground connections to the ECM as an intermittent open/glitch in the ground or power could cause the code to show up. If the power and ground supply is in good shape you are left with a programming issue or a failed ECM. The only way that temperature is involved is if higher operating temps cause an issue with the wiring or the ECM itself. Sometimes solid high conductivity connections aren't as solid and conductive as they need to be when they are hot.

Bill
Old 11-30-2020, 04:13 PM
TJC333
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

Assuming your battery is original might be time to replace it. Weak batteries can cause big problems with these cars. Fully charge the new battery before installing it. Don't know if this will solve the problem though.
Old 11-30-2020, 08:07 PM
tiborrules
Racer

Ok, thanks. I'll have to check with the chevy dealer as they supposedly checked everything and said the ecm needed replaced. I'll double check this out. Thanks Bill.

Get notified of new replies

To C7 Z06 Reduced Power Code P16F3

Quick Reply: C7 Z06 Reduced Power Code P16F3