C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dual fuel pumps - failsafe strategies if one pump fails?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2022, 04:47 AM
gumpx
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Dual fuel pumps - failsafe strategies if one pump fails?

What kind of failsafe strategies exist if of two fuel pumps are used and one of it happens to fail?

In such a scenario one fuel pump would continue working but only supply ~50% of the required flow.

This would result in a possible engine damage as the engine will continue to run but too lean.

If you run only one pump in your car and it fails the engine will simply stop working on its own, preventing a lean running condition.

Does the E92 ECM has any failsafes from factory or can failsafes be programmed via hptuners for such a situation?

Something like lean running afr or low fuel pressure values will lead to the ECM going into limp mode?

The hellcat demon/redeye has two pumps installed from factory but the amperage of both is measured by the ECM and if an amerage drop or spike is detected the engine will go into limp mode.

However with aftermarket fuel pump solutions for the C7 that doesnt seem to be possible.

I contacted DSXtuning and Fore but only received rather generic answers like: "I suggest you consult with your tuner on failsafe methods and products available for your ECU" and "you have to monitor combustion process via AFR and EGT".
Old 07-28-2022, 07:27 PM
Cordes Performance Racing
Supporting Vendor

Received 1,232 Likes on 775 Posts

ZERO. OEM PCM will let you stay wot if stuff is going south. You will need a wideband to have some sense of what's going on.
www.facebook.com/cordesperformanceracing.com
joe@cordesperformanceracing.com
480-359-5914

Old 08-02-2022, 09:20 PM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,242 Likes on 3,474 Posts

I'm not sure what you are doing that this is a concern... Granted, I have some ideas, but... ???
Old 10-28-2022, 11:58 AM
nfm
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Hello Art,

Call me about the fuel pump parts that you asked me for. I can't send you a PM because your mailbox is full.
I have both parts you asked about.

Regards,
Nick
803-630-7322
Old 10-28-2022, 03:17 PM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,832 Likes on 2,072 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

I've run dual pumps when the car was FI. Used one pump to run the car normally and when it went into boost, a hop switch would turn on the 2nd pump for the fuel needs. The only "fail safe" that system offered was my ability to easily get at the wiring and switch the pumps around to keep the car going. Of course, no way in hell I'd try boost on 1 pump. I suppose you could do that to our cars but it might be a bear to switch the wiring to the back up pump. I've only seen dual pumps when the engines are using forced induction.

ELmer

Get notified of new replies

To Dual fuel pumps - failsafe strategies if one pump fails?

Quick Reply: Dual fuel pumps - failsafe strategies if one pump fails?