C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C7 Differential Whine and Failures

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2024, 03:05 PM
LT1GMC
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Default C7 Differential Whine and Failures

How many C7 Differential issues have occurred on under 50 k cars that had never had the rear lube changed? Reason I ask is I've seen several videos of differential lube changes on lower mileage cars which the lube was grimy dirty with quite a collection on the magnets. That was how mine was at 40K miles. Never have I seen that dirty or dark lube even on my Yukon's changed for the first time at 120K miles. Wondering if that is a contributor to differential failures and if it is a one time first change dirtyness or after the second change as well. And maybe related to the electronic differential since it may allow more slip and more often than the older locked up all the time until forced unlocked on a turn differentials, meaning more wear particles.
Could be more regular rear lube changes may be in order?
Old 04-21-2024, 10:06 AM
AnotherNorskie
Pro

Received 287 Likes on 180 Posts

It certainly wouldn't hurt. I have 81k on my C7 and have no service records that it was done before I did it at 75k. What came out looked like molten lead (I like to call it unicorn blood). But my non-electronic diff is fine (so far).

On other cars I've been doing diff fluid changes about every 50k and it was never that silvery.

The early diff failures might be related to factory underfill of the diff.
Old 04-21-2024, 02:56 PM
Random Dan
Instructor

Received 65 Likes on 43 Posts
Default I think I'm starting to hear mine whine

So I did a flush. It was not low but the plugs were certainly only just barely tight enough to stop a drip. It was wicking out. Magnets were covered in metal. Might be looking at a wavetrac soon. 56,000 when I changed the fluid.

Get notified of new replies

To C7 Differential Whine and Failures

Quick Reply: C7 Differential Whine and Failures