C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Valve Cover PCV/Breather

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2024, 04:37 PM
bravo.charlie
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Valve Cover PCV/Breather

I've been chasing down a bit of an oil leak for a bit and seem to believe it is coming from the fitting on the valve cover on the driver side going to the dry sump reservoir.

Am I able to eliminate the line and just do hose without the OEM fitting? Is it in fact a PCV or check valve?

GM doesn't seem to sell the one line on its own (only the full kit), so I thought this may be an acceptable solution?

Also searched high and low to try and find aftermarket solutions with no luck. I have however found images of people adding SC kits and using hose like this:

Thanks in advance!

Old 05-11-2024, 04:09 AM
ZMC2001
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 75 Posts

For the line that goes from the driver side valve cover to the dry sump, there isn't a check valve if we are talking about the same line. There are only check valves in the radiator overflow line as well as the vacuum line. If you want to replace it with hose, you absolutely should be able to. Most supercharger kits say to and my Magnuson supercharger required me to do it for various lines on the valve covers. Almost all of my lines are hose and I'm in the process of seeing if I can't convert them all over to an lines/fittings.
Old 05-11-2024, 02:46 PM
bravo.charlie
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks for the reply!

Correct, it is the drivers VC to dry sump. I managed to find a low profile 90 deg brass PEX fitting and hit it with high temp black paint. Just ran some vibrant heater hose line for now to test and see if this was indeed the source of the leak.

I’m a bit shocked nobody makes kits for these in AN. Would love to see what you put together once completed.

The other concern with my routing under the throttle body is oil pooling potentially. It’s a cleaner run this way vs above the TB. Just not sure if this is a wise move!

Originally Posted by ZMC2001
For the line that goes from the driver side valve cover to the dry sump, there isn't a check valve if we are talking about the same line. There are only check valves in the radiator overflow line as well as the vacuum line. If you want to replace it with hose, you absolutely should be able to. Most supercharger kits say to and my Magnuson supercharger required me to do it for various lines on the valve covers. Almost all of my lines are hose and I'm in the process of seeing if I can't convert them all over to an lines/fittings.
Old 05-12-2024, 03:41 PM
ZMC2001
Racer

I wouldn't really worry about oil puddling. I think its mostly oil vapor that gets pulled out here, so the bend shouldn't be an issue. Going an with eh stock covers is a little hard since there really isn't a way to get an orb to an fitting in there. Ill attach an image of an adaptor that I saw on here once, but since I went with aftermarket covers, I didn't need it. I will also either post some pictures here or make a thread about all the an I did with everything once I finish it within the next week or two. I did AN for everything and bumped the blower/exchanger lines to -16 with a high flow pump and the temps and flow is amazing. Not to mention it looks so much better than the stock heater hose line. All of the odd fittings that were necessary are a bit jumbled up, but overall it looks great.

The following users liked this post:
H Watkins (05-12-2024)
Old 05-13-2024, 09:03 AM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,923 Likes on 1,124 Posts

With my increased redline (7000rpm) I was seeing too much pressure in the crankcase and the stock system couldn't keep up. The GSpeed guys came up with this for me which works perfect on track:

Old 05-13-2024, 08:13 PM
Random Dan
Instructor

Received 75 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by ZMC2001
The elbows on the valve covers do have a check on them. Just a ball, no spring.
Old 05-14-2024, 02:59 PM
ZMC2001
Racer

I would definitely recommend stepping up the size of the connections to at least 3/8 or larger hose like was mentioned above.

Get notified of new replies

To Valve Cover PCV/Breather

Quick Reply: Valve Cover PCV/Breather