C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Little Frank Reality Check for Challenger vs C7 Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 09:40 PM
corvettesa
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Little Frank Reality Check for Challenger vs C7 Corvette

How much power do you think that the Challenger SRT Hellcat would need to beat the C7 Corvette Z06 in a drag race?
Old 06-04-2014, 10:07 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

lol...who cares. Complete apples and oranges, but considering that boat is going to weigh ~4500#, it would need a lot...as in over 800 hp to have a comparable power to weight ratio.
S.
Old 06-04-2014, 10:10 PM
Foot on the floor
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In a drag race its more a matter of who can get of the line while laying down the most power efficiently and of course reaction time. I have seen 300hp cars spank 500hp cars just because they could get the power to connect and get off the line. When both cars can hook up and are geared the same hp makes a big difference though. It's just to early to tell with what little information we have on both cars. If you were wanting to compare them in the mile it would be more debatable. At higher speeds the aerodynamics play a bigger part and can only be overcome by correcting the aero or more power.
Old 06-04-2014, 10:36 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

I thought this was going to be about Little Frank.
Old 06-04-2014, 10:49 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Foot on the floor
In a drag race its more a matter of who can get of the line while laying down the most power efficiently and of course reaction time. I have seen 300hp cars spank 500hp cars just because they could get the power to connect and get off the line. When both cars can hook up and are geared the same hp makes a big difference though. It's just to early to tell with what little information we have on both cars. If you were wanting to compare them in the mile it would be more debatable. At higher speeds the aerodynamics play a bigger part and can only be overcome by correcting the aero or more power.
You're kidding, right? There is plenty of info out there about both cars. And who compares standing mile runs?
Exactly how much drag racing have you done to think that a rwd car with approximately 7.5 lb/hp and 285's would have anywhere near a fighting chance against a car with approximately 5.5 lb/hp, rwd and 325's on it?
S.
Old 06-05-2014, 12:03 AM
SpryGeezer
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Challenger by a car length, but only if Little Frank is driving.
Old 06-05-2014, 12:14 AM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

That Challenger Hellcat will be FAST no doubt. But equal drivers on the same day at the same track (drag strip or road course), the C7 Z06 will still win EVERY time.
Old 06-05-2014, 12:14 AM
CarBoy
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SpryGeezer
Challenger by a car length, but only if Little Frank is driving.
Did you not pay attention to the post above yours?
Old 06-05-2014, 12:18 AM
Foot on the floor
Instructor

Originally Posted by Snorman
You're kidding, right? There is plenty of info out there about both cars. And who compares standing mile runs?
Exactly how much drag racing have you done to think that a rwd car with approximately 7.5 lb/hp and 285's would have anywhere near a fighting chance against a car with approximately 5.5 lb/hp, rwd and 325's on it?
S.
My family and I have been racing sense I was little. 10.5 cars have been laying it down for quite a while now. That's why you don't see as many pro street cars anymore. Tire technology has gotten way better. That's why your not seeing bias ply tires at the track as much anymore. If you ever ran the mile you might change your mind. The record for a street driven car in the mile in Texas right now is @ 265mph. I have switched from the quarter to the mile. It's 4 times the fun. But I understand you want to be the authority on all things auto. That's why you always put your 2 cents in and attack others. No big deal
Old 06-05-2014, 12:25 AM
Foot on the floor
Instructor

Just a reminder. All the info we think we know IS pre production and not defiant. No hard official numbers have been given and are subject to change without notice. So yes there isn't enough info to truly know.
Old 06-05-2014, 12:29 AM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

My family and I have been racing sense I was little. 10.5 cars have been laying it down for quite a while now. That's why you don't see as many pro street cars anymore. Tire technology has gotten way better. That's why your not seeing bias ply tires at the track as much anymore. If you ever ran the mile you might change your mind. The record for a street driven car in the mile in Texas right now is @ 265mph. I have switched from the quarter to the mile. It's 4 times the fun. But I understand you want to be the authority on all things auto. That's why you always put your 2 cents in and attack others. No big deal
Yeah, you're right. The 7.5 lb/hp Challenger might put up a fight against the 5.5 lb/hp Z06 with superior aero and a tire/wheel package more suitable to the power the car is making. Especially with its .380 coefficient of drag.
Do you have anything of value to add, or are you going to continue whining like you did when glass slipper pointed out how ignorant you were relative to the ZR1/LT5? Or you could regale us with your accomplishment in the standing mile.
BTW...the OP asked about a "drag race". Which is not the standing mile.
S.
Old 06-05-2014, 12:52 AM
Foot on the floor
Instructor

I understand he did and if you were able to comprehend what you read. You would have noticed I said hp comes more into play if you have 2 cars with equal traction and aero. But of corse you just saw my name on the post so you decided to try and take a jab. The mile came in to play when I was talking about the drag coefficient or aero. That's why no aero cars like the turbo LS1 powered ****** jeep are so fast in the quarter. It wouldn't be able to beat cars in the mile that it can in the quarter. The aero won't allow it.

If you could get over your ego. And think more about what is being said you might just find people have more in common than you think and find you might actually get along or even like others. Most people just want to get on this sight and enjoy discussions with others and not just troll around for ways to make them selfs feel important or better than others.
Old 06-05-2014, 01:02 AM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

I understand he did and if you were able to comprehend what you read. You would have noticed I said hp comes more into play if you have 2 cars with equal traction and aero. But of corse you just saw my name on the post so you decided to try and take a jab. The mile came in to play when I was talking about the drag coefficient or aero. That's why no aero cars like the turbo LS1 powered ****** jeep are so fast in the quarter. It wouldn't be able to beat cars in the mile that it can in the quarter. The aero won't allow it.

If you could get over your ego. And think more about what is being said you might just find people have more in common than you think and find you might actually get along or even like others. Most people just want to get on this sight and enjoy discussions with others and not just troll around for ways to make them selfs feel important or better than others.

S.
Old 06-05-2014, 01:04 AM
Foot on the floor
Instructor

S.
Nice try. The only one that makes look childish is you. Good job.
Old 06-05-2014, 01:05 AM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

C'mon...admit it.
You're 14-years old, aren't you?
When you tried the same takes in response to glass slipper, who has provided more value to this site in one post than you have in total, you showed your @ss.
S.
Old 06-05-2014, 01:07 AM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Sorry, as much as you want to sound like you have clues, you don't. The race WILL NOT even be close. COMMON SENSE.
Old 06-05-2014, 01:12 AM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

I understand he did and if you were able to comprehend what you read. You would have noticed I said hp comes more into play if you have 2 cars with equal traction and aero.
Great. But you're obviously ignoring the fact that the Z06 has a ~37% power to weight advantage. It's also got a substantial traction advantage with 325's vs. 285's.
But let's talk about the mile, where not only does the Z06 have a gearing advantage, but an aero advantage over the .380 cD Challenger.
So yeah...let's say they have "equal traction and aero" (which they don't). The Z06 still has a 37% power to weight advantage.

Your point?
S.

Get notified of new replies

To Little Frank Reality Check for Challenger vs C7 Corvette

Old 06-05-2014, 01:16 AM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Racer
Sorry, as much as you want to sound like you have clues, you don't. The race WILL NOT even be close. COMMON SENSE.
Using the simple formula for calculating trap speed from weight and horsepower (MPH = ((HP ÷ Weight).333) × 234), the Z06 will run ~131 mph and the Hellcat ~119 mph. That's pretty close.
S.
Old 06-05-2014, 01:17 AM
Foot on the floor
Instructor

Originally Posted by Racer
Some times you have to learn you can't always fallow your emotions about things including your favorite car. I am buying a ZO6 or ZO7. I haven't made my mind up yet. But to say without a doubt that it isn't possible would be foolish. Granted the challengers are heavy and not very aerodynamic the cars are not on the street or track yet. GM already said they are going to run a high ratio in the diff. If Mopar can make the challenger hook up and gear it low enough with the right power they could out run the vett in the quarter. It would be much more difficult in the mile because of the aero disadvantage. That being said the challengers in the past have been heavy and slow. So it is unlikely they will outrun the ZO6 but nevertheless possible.
Old 06-05-2014, 01:19 AM
Foot on the floor
Instructor

Using the simple formula for calculating trap speed from weight and horsepower (MPH = ((HP ÷ Weight).333) × 234), the Z06 will run ~131 mph and the Hellcat ~119 mph. That's pretty close.
S.
That is why I said that is where hp will make a difference. We still don't know what the final numbers on either car will be.

Quick Reply: Little Frank Reality Check for Challenger vs C7 Corvette