C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

C7 Z06=Old News - 707 HP Dodge Hellcat=C7 ZR1 with 750hp

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 04:58 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,214 Posts

Originally Posted by Snorman
The Hellcat weighs 4449#.
S.
Where did you come up with that weight? I checked Dodge.com and could not find the official curb weight listed for the 2015 Challenger Hellcat. I did not use the weights that are "estimated" or "guessed" by various other sites/magazines etc. for the Hellcat.

I did go to Dodge's site and looked at this official pdf

http://www.drivesrt.com/assets/docs/...ifications.pdf

where it spec's the 2014 SRT8 curb weight at 4253 pounds. As I posted, I'm guessing that the additional weight of the supercharger will be around 80 pounds for a total curb weight of 4333 pounds.
Old 07-03-2014, 05:04 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
where it spec's the 2014 SRT8 curb weight at 4253 pounds. As I posted, I'm guessing that the additional weight of the supercharger will be around 80 pounds for a total curb weight of 4333 pounds.
Supercharger AND all of the plumbing/intercooling as well of course.
Larger (aka: HEAVIER) brakes/rotors/calipers?
Heavier duty transmissions?
Heavier duty suspension pieces?
More standard luxury accoutrements?
Old 07-03-2014, 05:11 PM
svtkeith
Melting Slicks

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Theta
Man, I hope so. With the sales figures being absurdly low, they need to put life back into the line.

I love the Viper, absolutely love it. I was stunned to see such poor sales figures, but perhaps a blown powerplant with ~750hp will rejuvenate their market.

You can bet it would I don't understand why it wasn't released with at least 700HP anyway.
Old 07-03-2014, 05:13 PM
rob62
Safety Car

Received 1,737 Likes on 876 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
Still not sure why everyone is automatically assuming that there will even be a C7 ZR1?
Yes, there may be. Or there may not be.
To me it seems more people automatically assume there wont. But short of a complete melt down of the economy or a nuclear war, a BIG BROTHER to the Z06 is coming.
Old 07-03-2014, 05:14 PM
svtkeith
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Foot on the floor
One thing to keep in mind. He says the fastest muscle car in history. Not the fastest sports car in history.

They are being smart and basically only comparing it to other muscle cars.

Exactly!!..should be compared to all other MUSCLE cars not sports cars APPLES to APPLES!!
Old 07-03-2014, 05:16 PM
svtkeith
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by rob62
To me it seems more people automatically assume there wont. But short of a complete melt down of the economy or a nuclear war, a BIG BROTHER to the Z06 is coming.

I believe there will be a C7 ZR1 also.
Old 07-03-2014, 05:31 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
Supercharger AND all of the plumbing/intercooling as well of course.
Larger (aka: HEAVIER) brakes/rotors/calipers?
Heavier duty transmissions?
Heavier duty suspension pieces?
More standard luxury accoutrements?
Any "facts" to back up your assertions, and not "guesses"?

I "guessed" at the weight of the supercharger, as I posted. Do you have "facts' that it will weigh a hundred pounds more than I "guessed"?

The hellcat gets a tremec manual transmission(along with an auto). Do you have any "facts" that show that the transmission used in the Hellcat weights more than the transmission in the SRT8?

Any "facts" that the suspension pieces in the hellcat weigh more than the suspension pieces in the SRT8?

Any "facts" that the brakes in the hellcat weigh more than the brakes used in the SRT8?

Any "facts" that the Hellcat has more "Luxury accoutrements" that the SRT8 doesn't have.

I might be off with the weight of the supercharger, but I based my opinion of the weight of the hellcat on the official Dodge curb weight of SRT8(which appears to be pretty close to the hellcat except for the supercharger on the Hellcat) plus my 'guess' of the weight of the supercharger.

Kindly give a more detailed explanation of your opinion that the Hellcat will weigh more than the 4333 pounds that I estimated, instead of a general off the cuff comment that I'm wrong.
Old 07-03-2014, 05:40 PM
BOBSZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 319 Likes on 205 Posts

http://www.torquenews.com/106/revisi...er-srt-hellcat

Hellcat vs Z06 – a Tale of the Tape it is official – the 2015 Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat will make 707 horsepower and 650lb-ft of torque – making It the most powerful American production car of all time. It is also official that the 2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 will make 650 horsepower and 650lb-ft of torque. Based on the fact that the Challenger has a massive advantage in horsepower, Mopar lovers are clamoring that I was wrong and that the Hellcat will indeed outrun the Z06. The problem with that argument is that the Challenger is much, much heavier than the new Z06. We don’t have official weight figures for the 2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 or the 2015 Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat, but we can make some guesses based on the curb weight of previous models. The 2012 Chevrolet Corvette ZR1 weighed 3,333lbs and it is expected that the 2015 Z06 will be in the same ballpark if not a little lighter. For the sake of discussion, we will use 3,300lbs as the possible Z06 curb weight. The 2014 Dodge Challenger SRT with the 6.4L Hemi V8 weighs 4,160lbs and while there might be some weight saving changes made for 2015, the Hellcat’s supercharged system likely adds at least a little weight. People are expecting that the Hellcat could weigh as much as 4,300lbs, but since we don’t have any sort of official figures on the Hellcat model’s curb weight, we will use the weight of the current Challenger SRT as that is really a best case for the Hellcat model. In other words, the 2015 Z06 will likely weight around 3,300lbs while the Challenger SRT Hellcat will likely weight around 4,200lbs.

Based on those estimated weight figures, the 2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 has a power to weight ratio of 5.08 pounds per horsepower while the 2015 Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat will likely have a ratio of 6.08 pounds per horsepower – giving the Corvette a clear advantage. The Hellcat Challenger will pack lots more power, but at roughly 900 pounds heavier, the Z06 will still have a significant advantage power to weight ratio.
Old 07-03-2014, 05:58 PM
Tour18
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

BOBSZ06, great reply!
Old 07-03-2014, 06:08 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Where did you come up with that weight? I checked Dodge.com and could not find the official curb weight listed for the 2015 Challenger Hellcat. I did not use the weights that are "estimated" or "guessed" by various other sites/magazines etc. for the Hellcat.

I did go to Dodge's site and looked at this official pdf

http://www.drivesrt.com/assets/docs/...ifications.pdf

Having discussions with you about curb weights is a pointless endeavor based on my experiences in the past where you've been so blatantly wrong and never admitted it (especially the ridiculous GVWR claim and your claim that A6 Z51's would weigh 3500#+).
But anyway...
http://www.allpar.com/cars/dodge/cha.../2015-SRT.html

What's comical about your claim that it will be only 80# heavier than an SRT8 is that if this discussion was about the C7 Z06, you'd have already listed a line item accounting of what you think adds weight rather than just stating "I'm guessing that the additional weight of the supercharger will be around 80 pounds for a total curb weight of 4333 pounds".
S.
Old 07-03-2014, 06:12 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by BOBSZ06
http://www.torquenews.com/106/revisi...er-srt-hellcat

Hellcat vs Z06 – a Tale of the Tape it is official – the 2015 Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat will make 707 horsepower and 650lb-ft of torque – making It the most powerful American production car of all time. It is also official that the 2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 will make 650 horsepower and 650lb-ft of torque. Based on the fact that the Challenger has a massive advantage in horsepower, Mopar lovers are clamoring that I was wrong and that the Hellcat will indeed outrun the Z06. The problem with that argument is that the Challenger is much, much heavier than the new Z06. We don’t have official weight figures for the 2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 or the 2015 Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat, but we can make some guesses based on the curb weight of previous models. The 2012 Chevrolet Corvette ZR1 weighed 3,333lbs and it is expected that the 2015 Z06 will be in the same ballpark if not a little lighter. For the sake of discussion, we will use 3,300lbs as the possible Z06 curb weight. The 2014 Dodge Challenger SRT with the 6.4L Hemi V8 weighs 4,160lbs and while there might be some weight saving changes made for 2015, the Hellcat’s supercharged system likely adds at least a little weight. People are expecting that the Hellcat could weigh as much as 4,300lbs, but since we don’t have any sort of official figures on the Hellcat model’s curb weight, we will use the weight of the current Challenger SRT as that is really a best case for the Hellcat model. In other words, the 2015 Z06 will likely weight around 3,300lbs while the Challenger SRT Hellcat will likely weight around 4,200lbs.

Based on those estimated weight figures, the 2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 has a power to weight ratio of 5.08 pounds per horsepower while the 2015 Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat will likely have a ratio of 6.08 pounds per horsepower – giving the Corvette a clear advantage. The Hellcat Challenger will pack lots more power, but at roughly 900 pounds heavier, the Z06 will still have a significant advantage power to weight ratio.
This info completely disputes what Tadge/GM have stated...that the C7 Z06 would weigh more than the C6 ZR1. Not only would 3300# be less than the ZR1, it would be less than a Z51. That's not happening.
Furthermore, I seriously doubt the Hellcat will come in lighter than the current SRT8. It's going to gain lots of weight.
S.
Old 07-03-2014, 06:19 PM
Hemi Dave
Melting Slicks

Received 459 Likes on 212 Posts

Lets just wait until the official performance numbers are released for the Hell Cat....but they are talking like it's faster than the GT500 ...so we will see.......

I personally don't think we should be comparing a C7 Z06 and a Hell Cat....2 different animals..............

I love Challengers so I will most likely trade the one I have... and suffer with the 707 HP pig/hippo Hell Cat

Last edited by Hemi Dave; 07-03-2014 at 06:21 PM.
Old 07-03-2014, 06:42 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Having discussions with you about curb weights is a pointless endeavor based on my experiences in the past where you've been so blatantly wrong and never admitted it (especially the ridiculous GVWR claim and your claim that A6 Z51's would weigh 3500#+).
But anyway...
http://www.allpar.com/cars/dodge/cha.../2015-SRT.html

What's comical about your claim that it will be only 80# heavier than an SRT8 is that if this discussion was about the C7 Z06, you'd have already listed a line item accounting of what you think adds weight rather than just stating "I'm guessing that the additional weight of the supercharger will be around 80 pounds for a total curb weight of 4333 pounds".
S.

Is that an official Dodge document that you copied and pasted?

You have to be joking. That site you posted up the info is not an official Dodge site.

At least my estimate(and I clearly made I clear in my posting that it was my opinion, and I did not state the hellcat's weight at fact as you did). "The Hellcat weighs 4449#.
S."

So, what does the 2015 hellcat have that the 2014 SRT8 does not have(that adds weight), that I used as my base weight(before adding my estimate of the blower)?

Are you saying the blower adds 196 pounds over the weight of the 2014 SRT8? If you are not, then what weight does the blower add and where does the additional weight come from that makes you state that the 2015 hellcat weighs 4449 pounds.

Oh, and the 80 pounds weight that I guessed is based on the additional weight of an Edelbrock supercharger(with coolers, piping, etc,) when added to a LS3. While the two superchargers are not identical, the 80 pounds weight I used as my guess is based on real life weights of a supercharger(installed).

Last edited by JoesC5; 07-03-2014 at 06:57 PM.
Old 07-03-2014, 06:52 PM
Foot on the floor
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any "facts" to back up your assertions, and not "guesses"?

I "guessed" at the weight of the supercharger, as I posted. Do you have "facts' that it will weigh a hundred pounds more than I "guessed"?

The hellcat gets a tremec manual transmission(along with an auto). Do you have any "facts" that show that the transmission used in the Hellcat weights more than the transmission in the SRT8?

Any "facts" that the suspension pieces in the hellcat weigh more than the suspension pieces in the SRT8?

Any "facts" that the brakes in the hellcat weigh more than the brakes used in the SRT8?

Any "facts" that the Hellcat has more "Luxury accoutrements" that the SRT8 doesn't have.

I might be off with the weight of the supercharger, but I based my opinion of the weight of the hellcat on the official Dodge curb weight of SRT8(which appears to be pretty close to the hellcat except for the supercharger on the Hellcat) plus my 'guess' of the weight of the supercharger.

Kindly give a more detailed explanation of your opinion that the Hellcat will weigh more than the 4333 pounds that I estimated, instead of a general off the cuff comment that I'm wrong.
According to the video. Dodge made the new brakes with aluminum sections to reduce weight. So you might not see an increase in weight because of the improved 2 piece design.
Old 07-03-2014, 06:56 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Is that an official Dodge document that you copied and pasted?

You have to be joking. That site you posted up the info is not an official Dodge site.

At least my estimate(and I clearly made I clear in my posting that it was my opinion, and I did not state the hellcat's weight at fact as you did). "The Hellcat weighs 4449#.
S."

So, what does the 2015 hellcat have that the 2014 SRT8 does not have(that adds weight), that I used as my base weight(before adding my estimate of the blower)?

Are you saying the blower adds 196 pounds over the weight of the 2014 SRT8? If you are not, then what weight does the blower add and where does the additional weight come from that makes you state that the 2015 hellcat weighs 4449 pounds.
Sorry Joe, even when I have engaged in these discussions with you in the past and proved you wrong, you wouldn't admit it. As I stated, it's a pointless endeavor.
This is confirmed by the fact that me stating the Hellcat is even heavier than your (flawed) claim actually supports your original point. But you are more interested in an argument.

S.
Old 07-03-2014, 07:07 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Sorry Joe, even when I have engaged in these discussions with you in the past and proved you wrong, you wouldn't admit it. As I stated, it's a pointless endeavor.
This is confirmed by the fact that me stating the Hellcat is even heavier than your (flawed) claim actually supports your original point. But you are more interested in an argument.

S.
So, "Oh, look over there" is your answer to my questions? Can't you even discuss something with intellectual honesty?

No, you can't as you don't have anything to back up your "fact" that the hellcat weighs 4449 pounds other than a copy and paste from a fan site, so you want to end the discussion without having to answer any questions.
Old 07-03-2014, 07:11 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Would it make you feel better if I go back and add "IMO" to my original post?
S.

Get notified of new replies

To C7 Z06=Old News - 707 HP Dodge Hellcat=C7 ZR1 with 750hp

Old 07-03-2014, 07:15 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Foot on the floor
According to the video. Dodge made the new brakes with aluminum sections to reduce weight. So you might not see an increase in weight because of the improved 2 piece design.
The 2014 SRT8 has 14.2" diameter front rotors made from one piece cast iron(and 4 piston calipers). The 2015 hellcat(and the 2015 SRT8) has 15.4" two piece rotors with the aluminum hat(as you pointed out) with 6 piston calipers. I don't know the actual weight of either brake package, but I suspect that the lighter weight of the aluminum hat will not completely negate the weight added by the larger diameter front rotors combined with the larger calipers. the larger brakes might increase the weight a few pounds but I doubt by very much.

Both the 2014 SRT8 and the 2015 Hellcat use the Tremec TR-6060 transmission, so I doubt that there is a weight change in the transmission. Both the 2014 SRT8 and the hellcat have an iron block with aluminum heads so I doubt that there is a weight change there.

There may be something that adds significant weight to the Hellcat, but from what I've read, I don't see anything other than the addition of the supercharger that will add any significant weight, surely not 196 pounds as Snorman claims.

The slightly wider wheels 9.5X20 on the hellcat with 275 tires will add a few pounds over the 9.0X20 wheels and 245 tires used on the 2014 SRT8.

The 2015 hellcat has an aluminum hood and I believe the 2014 SRT8 has a steel hood. That weight saving should also negate some of the weight gains from the supercharger and larger tires.

Last edited by JoesC5; 07-03-2014 at 07:42 PM.
Old 07-03-2014, 07:16 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Would it make you feel better if I go back and add "IMO" to my original post?
S.
Still trying to deflect, I see.
Old 07-03-2014, 07:27 PM
Theta
Tech Contributor

Received 219 Likes on 110 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Ahem....

Quick Reply: C7 Z06=Old News - 707 HP Dodge Hellcat=C7 ZR1 with 750hp