C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

8 speed review

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 02:33 PM
Z07 Ed
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Default 8 speed review

Check this out. Good news if your thinking of getting the 8 Speed'

http://autoweek.com/article/car-news/2015-corvette-stingray-eight-speed-automatic-first-drive?utm_source=DailyDrive20140820&utm_ medium=enewsletter&utm_term=headline-top&utm_content=body&utm_campaign=awdail ydrive[/URL]
Old 08-20-2014, 02:38 PM
BOBSZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 319 Likes on 205 Posts

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c7-z...-slushbox.html

Lots of reviews!!!
Old 08-20-2014, 02:38 PM
js59
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Z07 Ed
Check this out. Good news if your thinking of getting the 8 Speed'

http://autoweek.com/article/car-news/2015-corvette-stingray-eight-speed-automatic-first-drive?utm_source=DailyDrive20140820&utm_ medium=enewsletter&utm_term=headline-top&utm_content=body&utm_campaign=awdail ydrive[/URL]
Wow. 2 tenths off of 0-60 time - pretty impressive. This probably bodes well for 0-60 for the Z06 - although traction might be more of a limiter than gearing.
Old 08-20-2014, 02:40 PM
JackTripper
Turn 12!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 498 Likes on 217 Posts

Glad to hear since I will be ordering one without testing the car in real time.
Old 08-20-2014, 03:25 PM
Z07 Ed
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

[Autoweek has a good video!
Old 08-21-2014, 04:37 PM
SRTRick
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Somewhat faster lap than some.

Not sure who journalist, Manoli Katakis is, but he seems to have gotten going a bit faster than others - this video and comments from the driver has me a bit more confident about ordering the A8 without driving it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...mLq1thanFI#t=0

He stated that on this run he let the trans do the work, but on a previous run he shifted manually and it was more fun and incredibly sharp.
Old 08-21-2014, 06:07 PM
BOBSZ06
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by SRTRick
Not sure who journalist, Manoli Katakis is, but he seems to have gotten going a bit faster than others - this video and comments from the driver has me a bit more confident about ordering the A8 without driving it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...mLq1thanFI#t=0

He stated that on this run he let the trans do the work, but on a previous run he shifted manually and it was more fun and incredibly sharp.

This has been discussed some in the other Thread with multiple reviews and videos of the A8 being tested....here:

You mention that one of the laps was with the paddle shifters? Not according to what is said in the article quoted below. It was left in D mode for the video.

I was wondering where did you see it mentioned that he took laps with the paddle shifters and found it to be "fun and sharp"?

I know at the very beginning it is mentioned ...but not much explanation about their performance.

"Bang. A twitch of the upshift tab on the 2015 Corvette Stingray jolts me into the seat bolsters.

Bang. Third gear now. A blink, a shift.

Bang. Fourth gear. Triple-digit speeds. All eyes forward.

And there are still four more gears to go."

Here is the link for the video you provided.

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2014/08/...e-first-drive/

"For the sake of the demonstration, I let the car shift itself to see how well it computed. I set the car in Track, with the Sport 1 traction setting. And with a chirp of the wheels and the unmistakable growl of its LT1 V8, I fired into turn 1.

The trick to get the transmission to know its on a track is to be heavy on the throttle and braking. Otherwise, the computers may revert to thinking its cruising on the highway. It doesn’t matter on what driving mode you’re in. When driven properly, the transmission kicks into the lowest gear possible at the current speed. When braking heavily, it will instinctively drop as much as three gears. And it will hold the RPMs when the throttle is steady around a turn. If the driver does things right, the transmission will, too. The video below will give you an auditory and visual example of how the transmission behaves when in D and in track conditions, as well as an impression of how fast the 8L90 shifts.

Like a gun. That’s how."
Old 08-21-2014, 11:56 PM
SRTRick
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BOBSZ06
This has been discussed some in the other Thread with multiple reviews and videos of the A8 being tested....here:

You mention that one of the laps was with the paddle shifters? Not according to what is said in the article quoted below. It was left in D mode for the video.

I was wondering where did you see it mentioned that he took laps with the paddle shifters and found it to be "fun and sharp"?

I know at the very beginning it is mentioned ...but not much explanation about their performance.

"Bang. A twitch of the upshift tab on the 2015 Corvette Stingray jolts me into the seat bolsters.

Bang. Third gear now. A blink, a shift.

Bang. Fourth gear. Triple-digit speeds. All eyes forward.

And there are still four more gears to go."

Here is the link for the video you provided.

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2014/08/...e-first-drive/

"For the sake of the demonstration, I let the car shift itself to see how well it computed. I set the car in Track, with the Sport 1 traction setting. And with a chirp of the wheels and the unmistakable growl of its LT1 V8, I fired into turn 1.

The trick to get the transmission to know its on a track is to be heavy on the throttle and braking. Otherwise, the computers may revert to thinking its cruising on the highway. It doesn’t matter on what driving mode you’re in. When driven properly, the transmission kicks into the lowest gear possible at the current speed. When braking heavily, it will instinctively drop as much as three gears. And it will hold the RPMs when the throttle is steady around a turn. If the driver does things right, the transmission will, too. The video below will give you an auditory and visual example of how the transmission behaves when in D and in track conditions, as well as an impression of how fast the 8L90 shifts.

Like a gun. That’s how."

You have to look down in the comments/Replies section beneath the video on the actual you tube page. He said there that the manual shifting was more fun. I asked him more specifically about the manual shifting, but I'm not sure he understood what I was asking. I have rephrased the question and hopefully he will clarify further. Just look in the replies section on the You tube page.
Old 08-22-2014, 10:09 AM
BOBSZ06
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by SRTRick
You have to look down in the comments/Replies section beneath the video on the actual you tube page. He said there that the manual shifting was more fun. I asked him more specifically about the manual shifting, but I'm not sure he understood what I was asking. I have rephrased the question and hopefully he will clarify further. Just look in the replies section on the You tube page.

Thanks!

Last edited by BOBSZ06; 08-22-2014 at 10:15 AM.
Old 08-22-2014, 08:54 PM
ChucksZ06
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 23 Posts

In other words drive the car hard. Late aggressive braking and rolling into the throttle as hard as the traction permits on exit. Should be fun if we can keep the trans from overheating.

Get notified of new replies

To 8 speed review

Quick Reply: 8 speed review