C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

C7 Z vs 800 HP Viper

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 10:20 PM
HolyRoller
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Kamauxx
All that extra power and the car won't go down or around a track any faster.

What's the point?
wash your mouth out with soap!
Old 08-20-2014, 10:26 PM
HolyRoller
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Charlie M
Who are you calling "you people"?
Old 08-20-2014, 11:13 PM
JackTripper
Turn 12!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 498 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by shagsc7
Viper smiper...The next generation Z08 will probably be a 1000 hp....who cares ....live in the moment and enjoy...
Spoken like a true prodigy.
Old 08-21-2014, 12:40 AM
dwward
Jukebox Graduate
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

What's the point?
Someone else is always going to be bigger. I'm really amazed at the endless obsession in this forum over whose might be more powerful.

Live in the now and be happy with what you have.

Last edited by dwward; 08-21-2014 at 12:42 AM.
Old 08-21-2014, 08:19 AM
PDCjonny
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

What's the point?
Let me write this down.
You're saying that with 150HP more the car won't be any faster than now?
That's very deep thinking.
Old 08-21-2014, 08:53 AM
fang
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PDCjonny
Let me write this down.
With that logic the new Z06 won't be any faster than a 500hp Z06 either
Old 08-21-2014, 09:06 AM
camirocz
Melting Slicks

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts

So let me get this right.They cant sell a $120 000 Viper so now they re going to have one for $150 000?I dont think so.Mopar did the right thing introducing the Hellcat cars.Viper is a dead dog.
Old 08-21-2014, 09:15 AM
svtkeith
Melting Slicks

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

Let me write this down.

That one got you too huh??........I don't understand that logic!!
Old 08-21-2014, 09:22 AM
Crabbers
Le Mans Master

Received 116 Likes on 79 Posts

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/othe...-up-chevy.html
Old 08-21-2014, 11:48 AM
Kamauxx
Racer

Let me write this down.

Let me dummy things down a bit for you then.

American car makers like adding extra power to engines without upgrading any other component of a car. Dodge being who Dodge is my guess is this rumored car would consist of nothing more than engine/transmission changes.

Adding extra power to a car that's already living at the limits of it'straction without doing any other work to it won't make it a faster car. The car will be more powerful, sure, so it will be a great spectacle as it sits on a line burning through tires or going sideways through turns. But none of that will make it faster.

Imagine a bodybuilder that never works on his legs...

Lets dig a little deeper to help you understand.

A quick comparison of a 2011 M3 and a 2012 GT500.

Mustang is slower to 60, slower to a quarter mile, quite a bit softer in lateral acceleration, and obviously slower on a track that bothers to have turns. The Mustang also has 140 hp more than the M3.

In other words, simply throwing more power in a car won't make it faster. Supporting modifications actually DO make a difference. And since the rumorers are saying this will be a dealer installed blower there most likely won't be a bit of modifications being made outside of the engine bay.

If you are still confused I want you to:

Win the lottery.
Buy a current 640 hp Viper.
Run it around Laguna Seca and record your time.
Buy a 800 hp Viper.
Report back here with your findings.

I'd wager every dime to my name your time won't be faster with the supercharged version.

Last edited by Kamauxx; 08-21-2014 at 12:06 PM.
Old 08-21-2014, 12:09 PM
foreverfuelie
Burning Brakes

Received 197 Likes on 144 Posts

Kinda along the lines of what "blackvetter" said, do you thing that the reason Viper sales have fallen to record lows is the lack of HP? IMHO, Viper sales are low due to perceived diminished value. Would the adding of 200+ HP and subsequent $10-20k to the basic same car sell better?
Old 08-21-2014, 01:39 PM
Hirohawa
Le Mans Master

Received 248 Likes on 158 Posts

There are so many false equivalencies and mixed metaphors in your post my head is spinning. Why stick your foot in your mouth in one sentence when you can do it over and over in multiple paragraphs.

The Viper ain't no Mustang - I'll dummy things down for you now. Check out 'Ring times and Laguna Seca times on the Viper and the Corvette. Besides being near the top of both lists for fastest production cars - notice how they both got faster with more HP.

Let's not dig very deep at all to see how - "American car makers" who "like adding extra power to engines without upgrading any other component" - have two of the fastest models at Laguna Seca and Nurburgring with the Corvette and Viper beating Ferrari, Porsche, Lambo, BMW, Mercedes, Aston, etc, etc. And the previous C6 Z06 with only 505hp is faster around Laguna - even though it is down 60+ horse power - to the 458 Italia and the Nissan GTR.

If this alleged Viper does comes out it will be a beast on any track putting other marques to shame. Basically business as usual for the Viper and "Dodge being who Dodge is".

If you are still confused check out this fancy new website called "Google" to corraborate everything and help you out.

American car makers like adding extra power to engines without upgrading any other component of a car. Dodge being who Dodge is my guess is this rumored car would consist of nothing more than engine/transmission changes.

Adding extra power to a car that's already living at the limits of it'straction without doing any other work to it won't make it a faster car. The car will be more powerful, sure, so it will be a great spectacle as it sits on a line burning through tires or going sideways through turns. But none of that will make it faster.

Mustang is slower to 60, slower to a quarter mile, quite a bit softer in lateral acceleration, and obviously slower on a track that bothers to have turns. The Mustang also has 140 hp more than the M3.

In other words, simply throwing more power in a car won't make it faster. Supporting modifications actually DO make a difference. And since the rumorers are saying this will be a dealer installed blower there most likely won't be a bit of modifications being made outside of the engine bay.

Win the lottery.
Buy a 800 hp Viper.

I'd wager every dime to my name your time won't be faster with the supercharged version.

Last edited by Hirohawa; 08-21-2014 at 01:52 PM.
Old 08-21-2014, 01:45 PM
Hemi Dave
Melting Slicks

Received 459 Likes on 212 Posts

Win the lottery.
Buy a 800 hp Viper.

Are you willing to draw up a contract?...and I need to know how many dimes you got too
Old 08-21-2014, 01:50 PM
Boba Fett
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 485 Likes on 347 Posts

Win the lottery.
Buy a 800 hp Viper.

fail
Old 08-21-2014, 01:51 PM
Boba Fett
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 485 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by Hirohawa
There are so many false equivalencies and mixed metaphors in your post my head is spinning. Why stick your foot in your mouth in one sentence when you can do it over and over in multiple paragraphs.

The Viper ain't no Mustang - I'll dummy things down for you now. Check out 'Ring times and Laguna Seca times on the Viper and the Corvette. Besides being near the top of both lists for fastest production cars - notice how they both got faster with more HP.

Let's not dig very deep at all to see how - "American car makers" who "like adding extra power to engines without upgrading any other component" - have two of the fastest models at Laguna Seca and Nurburgring with the Corvette and Viper beating Ferrari, Porsche, Lambo, BMW, Mercedes, Aston, etc, etc. - And the previous C6 Z06 with only 505hp beats many of those cars around Laguna being down anywhere from 50-150 horse power - like the 458 Italia and the Nissan GTR.

If this alleged Viper does comes out it will be a beast on any track putting other marques to shame. Basically business as usual for the Viper and "Dodge being who Dodge is".

If you are still confused check out this fancy new website called "Google" to corraborate everything and help you out.

its a shame some of these boys just dont get this...
Old 08-22-2014, 10:57 AM
EdwardETraylorIII
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I can personally attest that a Gen V viper with nothing more than "150 more HP" (150 RWHP over stock is 3-4 PSI on the Gen V motor) is HELLACIOUSLY faster than OEM. It runs mid/low 10's @ 136 MPH on OEM tires at 720 RWHP. (Guess what it runs at 10 PSI on radials! LOL)

I'm afraid the assertion that, "more power won't make it faster" is wholly inaccurate when speaking about these cars. I'm not trying to be a d!ck, and I can see where your statement is accurate regarding SOME cars.. But it doesn't hold true on these cars which still have plenty of room for more power.
Old 08-22-2014, 11:15 AM
starchedup
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by dwward
Someone else is always going to be bigger. I'm really amazed at the endless obsession in this forum over whose might be more powerful.

That's because those are the types that use their cars as phallic symbols. LOL

I've accepted a long time ago that there's always someone with more money, faster car and a bigger Johnson. I'm OK with that.

Last edited by starchedup; 08-22-2014 at 11:17 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To C7 Z vs 800 HP Viper

Old 08-22-2014, 11:41 AM
svtkeith
Melting Slicks

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by EdwardETraylorIII
I can personally attest that a Gen V viper with nothing more than "150 more HP" (150 RWHP over stock is 3-4 PSI on the Gen V motor) is HELLACIOUSLY faster than OEM. It runs mid/low 10's @ 136 MPH on OEM tires at 720 RWHP. (Guess what it runs at 10 PSI on radials! LOL)

I'm afraid the assertion that, "more power won't make it faster" is wholly inaccurate when speaking about these cars. I'm not trying to be a d!ck, and I can see where your statement is accurate regarding SOME cars.. But it doesn't hold true on these cars which still have plenty of room for more power.

You're not being a dick you're stating a fact..how anyone can think that any car making 150 extra hp over stock will not be faster is simply not thinking at all it's going to be faster some way some how traction may be an issue but the bottom line it WILL be faster.
Old 08-22-2014, 11:49 AM
TBIRD57
Race Director

Received 235 Likes on 178 Posts

Default dodge too dumb

Originally Posted by Wulverine
Imagine a blown V10 viper matted to an A8 transmission.
to ever offer an auto tranny version.
Old 08-22-2014, 12:05 PM
fang
Advanced

Originally Posted by EdwardETraylorIII

You stated you have laid hands on this supercharged viper. How is the comment I made incorrect? Is it going to be a factory option on new vipers? Will it be available thru dealerships or aftermarket?

Quick Reply: C7 Z vs 800 HP Viper