C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Z06: The Most Aerodynamic Corvette Ever

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2014, 12:44 PM
MavsAK
Melting Slicks

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

That sound. I think the LT series sounds even better than the LS series. Much more American and visceral.
Almost as cool sounding as a Gen 1 engine sound wise!
Old 11-10-2014, 03:16 PM
Daekwan06
Safety Car

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Never seen RoadATL so empty.

Cant wait for this car to get released and kick some *** on local streets/tracks.
Old 11-10-2014, 05:27 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,805 Likes on 1,145 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by Snorman
Also, it appears that we finally have a picture of the Stage 1 rear spoiler.
I made a suggestion to my engineering contact back in August that they consider publishing pics or a vid of the different aero stages because of the confusion here on the forums. It took 'em a little while, but they finally delivered.

Ya'all can thank me later. No applause necessary.

(Cash accepted, though).
Old 11-10-2014, 05:51 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by jvp
I made a suggestion to my engineering contact back in August that they consider publishing pics or a vid of the different aero stages because of the confusion here on the forums. It took 'em a little while, but they finally delivered.

Ya'all can thank me later. No applause necessary.

(Cash accepted, though).
So is that the final, final rear spoiler?
I only ask because elegant was on the tour today, and said the Stage 1 cars they saw appeared to have what looked exactly like a Z51 rear spoiler, albeit 3" wider. Of course, this was on a tour, so they weren't right up on the cars.
In any case, thanks.
S.
Old 11-11-2014, 12:51 PM
skank
Melting Slicks

Received 1,156 Likes on 516 Posts

Originally Posted by Snorman
So is that the final, final rear spoiler?
I only ask because elegant was on the tour today, and said the Stage 1 cars they saw appeared to have what looked exactly like a Z51 rear spoiler, albeit 3" wider. Of course, this was on a tour, so they weren't right up on the cars.
In any case, thanks.
S.
S
I would think and hope that the Stage 1 doesn't have that screwed together look that this video is showing. Maybe that is their Stage 1 prototype to only test the wicker bill height that would be transferred to final profile. A monolithic spoiler like the Z51 spec is certainly a handsome look. A slightly more aggressive Stage 1 spoiler than the Z51 spec would be ideal to give it that integrated GT look. Leave the Stage 2 and 3 for the adjustable utilitarian racer look.

Last edited by skank; 11-11-2014 at 12:54 PM.
Old 11-12-2014, 01:37 PM
Detroit Steel
CorvetteForum Editor

Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts
Default New Z06 is the most aerodynamic Corvette ever

The 2015 Corvette Z06 with the Z07 package holds the distinction of having the most aerodynamic downforce ever measured on a production car.

Read the rest on the Corvette Forum homepage. >>
Old 11-12-2014, 03:48 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by Detroit Steel

The 2015 Corvette Z06 with the Z07 package holds the distinction of having the most aerodynamic downforce ever measured on a production car.

Read the rest on the Corvette Forum homepage. >>
I believe that GM said the Z06 had the most downforce of any production car THEY tested. That implies that they did test some other production cars, besides the Z06, in order to make that statement.

That also means that GM should have the downforce numbers recorded for those cars they tested in addition to the Z06.

How much difficulty would it be for GM to actually tell us what the numbers are for each of the NAMED cars they tested so we can see how the Z06 compares, instead of some generic statement.
Old 11-13-2014, 06:45 AM
descartesfool
Burning Brakes

Received 296 Likes on 155 Posts

The Z06 at the SEMA show from last week absolutely had Z07 embossed into the adjustable part of the rear spoiler. Here is a zoomed in section of a picture I took of the rear end. I also noticed that clear plastic piece is really quite flexible, and easily bends back and forth with little hand pressure. Was not so impressed with that.

Like others have said, it's nice to see all the puff pieces about the Z06's aero, but when will they actually give numbers on downforce and drag? So far it's all just marketing talk. If they are so proud of their work, why don't they just publish the hard numbers to let all see how good their aero is compared to others they have tested? I've heard Tadge say the same stuff over and over about the aero, it's getting old. Anybody can say "Ours is the best ever made".
Old 11-13-2014, 06:56 AM
descartesfool
Burning Brakes

Received 296 Likes on 155 Posts

Here is a proper technical piece on downforce of a sports car by a major manufacturer, Honda. They took the NSX and made a special edition with downforce, called the NSX Type R, version 2, and then they published details of how much downforce each addition to the aero package added.

http://world.honda.com/NSX/technology/t3.html

Plus a whole lot more technical detail about the car on the other pages. GM could take a lesson from that set of web pages. If Honda can publish all that technology info, surely GM can as well.

I also saw a Porsche 918 at the SEMA show and a LaFerrari at the Wynn hotel. Is GM trying to say the Z06 makes more downforce than those cars?
Old 11-13-2014, 12:59 PM
URBAN LEGEND
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by descartesfool

I also saw a Porsche 918 at the SEMA show and a LaFerrari at the Wynn hotel. Is GM trying to say the Z06 makes more downforce than those cars?
Highly unlikely.
Old 11-13-2014, 01:54 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

The Z06 at the SEMA show from last week absolutely had Z07 embossed into the adjustable part of the rear spoiler.
A nice touch IMO.

I also noticed that clear plastic piece is really quite flexible, and easily bends back and forth with little hand pressure.
WHA????????

Like others have said, it's nice to see all the puff pieces about the Z06's aero, but when will they actually give numbers on downforce and drag? So far it's all just marketing talk. If they are so proud of their work, why don't they just publish the hard numbers to let all see how good their aero is compared to others they have tested?
No doubt the mag reviews will publish the numbers.

NO, they didn't say that at all.
However, they did say it has more downforce than any other GM car yet made.
Old 11-13-2014, 02:00 PM
BOBSZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 319 Likes on 205 Posts

The Z06 at the SEMA show from last week absolutely had Z07 embossed into the adjustable part of the rear spoiler. Here is a zoomed in section of a picture I took of the rear end. I also noticed that clear plastic piece is really quite flexible, and easily bends back and forth with little hand pressure. Was not so impressed with that.

That is one of the original show cars with the Z07 package and spoiler.
That clear wickerbill is being changed to "Z06".
Old 11-14-2014, 12:35 PM
MavsAK
Melting Slicks

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Here is a proper technical piece on downforce of a sports car by a major manufacturer, Honda. They took the NSX and made a special edition with downforce, called the NSX Type R, version 2, and then they published details of how much downforce each addition to the aero package added.

http://world.honda.com/NSX/technology/t3.html

Plus a whole lot more technical detail about the car on the other pages. GM could take a lesson from that set of web pages. If Honda can publish all that technology info, surely GM can as well.

No what they said was the car generates more downforce than any production vehicle they have ever tested.

I highly doubt Ferrari, and Porsche let them get ahold of a 918 or LaFerrari. The 918, isn't exactly a high production car. The latter...well Ferrari doesn't even lend out cars for Magazine Comparos. You think they're going to let GM get their hands on one?
Old 11-14-2014, 01:06 PM
freeman1215
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by dio55
2015 Corvette Z06: The Most Aerodynamic Corvette Ever | Chevrolet - YouTube

I know this is a video about Aerodynamics but it's the SOUND that really gets me and that track looks yummy
Thanks Dio! This is the first picture and/or video I've seen that really lets you look at a "Stage 1" cars splitter and spoiler. As the CFV Ground Effects package is typically put on "constraint", I'm ordering a Stage 1 car and will add to that with aftermarket parts. Which I'm seeing is also less costly than the GM package.

Quick Reply: Z06: The Most Aerodynamic Corvette Ever