C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

First Drive: My New Z07 vs. my C6 ZR1

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2014, 06:23 PM
Glenn Quagmire
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 604 Likes on 283 Posts

Default First Drive: My New Z07 vs. my C6 ZR1

First let me say that while it's mild right now in MN (~30º F), it's too risky to do freeway runs at WOT. Now, when it's 30 degrees warmer, and I've had a few growlers of my favorite IPA, I plan to earn a featured role on Super Speeders...

Until my dealer dropped the car off for me yesterday, I had never seen a C7 Z06 in person. I should mention that when it comes to cars, I'm seldom completely satisfied with the interior and exterior fit and finish from the factory. This C7 Z is my fourth vette, and three previous cars all had extensive mods. The C6 ZR1 I have is so loaded with aftermarket stuff (APR CF rear diffuser, HRE wheels, Katech CF rear spoiler, complete Caravaggio interior, Halltech CAI & beehive, Akrapovic Ti exhaust w/ CF tips, custom Lingenfelter CF headlights w/ LED's, MGW shifter, etc.) that I would be an idiot to sell it. In fact, this car has already been passed to my six year old son. Anyway, based on many photos of Z's, I had already developed a strategy for what I wanted to change...right away.

After walking around the car, studying at different angles, I'm left wondering what there really is to do. New wheels are being made as we speak, and I have a Weapon X CF rear diffuser to install. But, outside of a clear bra, window tint and maybe exhaust, I'm not sure that it needs anything else. I was pleasantly surprised at the overall appearance and quality of materials.

One of the things I was most keen to observe is the ride quality of the Z07. I like a little stiffer ride in my sports cars. But, I don't like the ride quality of a race car/lumber wagon. Let me be clear in saying that the Z07 has a better ride quality than my ZR1. More specifically, even in Sport Mode, the Z07 is more supple than Sport Mode in the ZR1. The Z feels "tighter" in the sense that it's a bit more connected to the road, but not in a feel every bump sort of way. I drive my ZR1 in Sport Mode all the time and have never had the sense that it was too stiff. Long trips were never an issue. I feel like the the Z is even better.

With the Z in Track mode, the steering definitely tightens a bit. A little too much for my liking for street work, but I can see it being fantastic on the track. It's very responsive. Definitely leaps beyond my ZR1 in this area. The ride quality in Track mode wasn't substantially different than Sport. I would describe it as being a tick firmer than Sport, but no where near as stiff as some of the exotics I've driven. Overall, for street purposes, the ride quality gets an "A".

The competition seats are a VAST improvement over the stock seats that were in all three of my C6's. As I mentioned, I have Caravaggio Daytona's in my ZR, and the quality of John's seats are still better than the stock competition seat. BTW, my Z is a 3LZ with the suede option. But, I have to hand it to GM with this new seat, because it isn't even in the same league as the old rockers I was used to.

The interior is certainly a big improvement over what we've been accustomed to in the past. The suede steering wheel is really nice. But, the carbon fiber/leather/Alcantara wheel John made for my ZR is on another level. In fact, this is probably something I will change. The quality of materials and workmanship has definitely been turned up a few notches with the interior...which is a welcomed change. Although it reminds me a bit of the C4 layout, I quite like Z's innards.

The front sight lines of the Z are better than the ZR. However, the rear is waaay better in the ZR. Without the clear wickerbill, half of the visibility would be gone. Thankfully, the backup camera works well. So, as long as you're driving close to the speed limit, you shouldn't have to worry about becoming entangled in a mulit-car police chase resulting in a road block, because you can't see the sirens behind you.

Curiously, the turning radius of the Z doesn't seem as tight as the ZR. I've found the front wheels rolling over a bit during tight maneuvering, in areas that weren't an issue in the ZR. Nothing scientific to prove this, just an observation after having driven the in and out of the same parking spots hundreds of times over the years.

In Tour mode, the exhaust was very low. Definitely lower than my ZR (which has NPP). In Sport and Track modes, the exhaust comes alive. But, it's still not as strong as my tastes prefer.

Rev matching might take a bit to get used to. I'm trying to like it, but am not yet sold. It's a neat feature and I certainly like the exhaust note component of it, but I've grown so accustomed to heal/toe, that it might require some "retraining."

The gear pattern is something else that I'm not quite used to. I find myself reluctant to hit 7th, for fear I'm jamming it into where 6th was on my ZR. The shifter and gearbox feels a little "softer" than my ZR, and the throws are definitely longer than what I'm used to with the MGW in my ZR. So, that will get changed soon.

One of the first things I noticed when going from my C6 Z07 to my C6 ZR1, was the clutch weight. The ZR was much lighter. When I got into the C7 Z, I was surprised that the clutch in it felt a fair bit lighter yet than the ZR. Somebody smarter than me will probably come along and tell me I'm wrong, but it certainly feels lighter to me.

Based on my initial impressions of the car as a whole, the Z gets an "A-" compared to the ZR, which gets a "B". The Z is very much an evolution of the ZR, and feels like it picks up where the ZR left off. But, right now, the ZR is still the more comfortable glove to wear. I'm sure that will change in due time. After all, the Z is for my two year old son, and it's time to start making memories with him now.

PS - mom's going out for girl's night, which means I've got to get home to play Mr. Mom (220-221, whatever it takes)...so, no time for spelling or grammar checks. You guys are on your own.

EDIT: I forgot to mention one thing. The wheel gap is about 1" more on the Z than the ZR. So, tomorrow that gets changed.

Last edited by Glenn Quagmire; 12-11-2014 at 07:04 PM.
Old 12-11-2014, 06:32 PM
BOBSZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 319 Likes on 205 Posts

Glen, that really looks sharp, and I for one am pleased you like the ride quality of the Z07 package.
Old 12-11-2014, 06:32 PM
blackvetterzo6
Le Mans Master

Received 1,018 Likes on 567 Posts

I'm not a yellow guy, but admit that looks friggin sweet, especially with those wheels.
Old 12-11-2014, 06:33 PM
TARANTULA
Melting Slicks

Received 1,035 Likes on 468 Posts

Car looks good congrats
Old 12-11-2014, 06:34 PM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

Thanks for the interesting review. Nice looking car also.
Old 12-11-2014, 06:35 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Nice write up!
Dat yellow.
Did you end up with the CFZ (carbon flash) aero?
S.
Old 12-11-2014, 06:38 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,447 Likes on 2,272 Posts

Glenn,

Thanks for the feedback and comparison the ZR. Congrats on the new Z. Stunning color combo, too.

Old 12-11-2014, 06:40 PM
Denstoy968
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow very nice! Congrats and thanks for taking time to compare to the ZR - interesting!
Old 12-11-2014, 06:41 PM
freeman1215
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by blackvetterzo6
I'm not a yellow guy, but admit that looks friggin sweet, especially with those wheels.
Thanks for the comprehensive review! Really appreciate this coming from an actual Corvette guy and not, um, others.
Old 12-11-2014, 06:41 PM
Hirohawa
Le Mans Master

Received 248 Likes on 158 Posts

Congrats!
Old 12-11-2014, 06:46 PM
mirage2991
Safety Car

Received 250 Likes on 163 Posts

it will be interesting to see comparisons after the honey moon is over and after you have put miles on it….a new car always ride "nicer" than the one you've driven for a while. Can't go wrong with yellow and black….(or red and black my runner up of fav colors). I'm glad gm figured out to make the touring mod an actual softer "tour" mod vs the ZR1 which is hard and hard lol.
Old 12-11-2014, 06:52 PM
RedZ4me
Le Mans Master

Received 422 Likes on 257 Posts

The perfect yellow !!! In fact, got my co-worker to paint his '78 vette the same color this past summer - came out sharp !!
Old 12-11-2014, 07:01 PM
Glenn Quagmire
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by BOBSZ06
Glen, that really looks sharp, and I for one am pleased you like the ride quality of the Z07 package.
I noticed that you changed your avatar. Did you ditch the black/red idea for TR? If so, was it because I like the black/red combo you had going? Be honest

Originally Posted by Snorman
Nice write up!
Dat yellow.
Did you end up with the CFZ (carbon flash) aero?
S.
Yes, CFZ. I was one of the lucky 38 who had a bite at the CFV in the first consensus, but chose CFZ instead. I'm kinda kicking myself a little, but could certainly opt for aftermarket if/when it becomes available.

Dealer told me that A8 orders are open. Did you get yours in? If so, what are you going with? Did you choose the newly announced "Freeway Edition"? Supposedly it's got 1,800 hp on jet fuel, laser guided smart bombs, and a chrome brush guard. It doesn't discriminate. It will literally blow Viper's, Abarth's, and garbage trucks into a fifth dimension. No, I'm serious. Literally.
Old 12-11-2014, 07:01 PM
jksvet
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 15 Posts

Saw your twin on I-44 today. What a head turner, looked fantastic.
Old 12-11-2014, 07:06 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Glenn Quagmire
Yes, CFZ. I was one of the lucky 38 who had a bite at the CFV in the first consensus, but chose CFZ instead. I'm kinda kicking myself a little, but could certainly opt for aftermarket if/when it becomes available.

Dealer told me that A8 orders are open. Did you get yours in? If so, what are you going with? Did you choose the newly announced "Freeway Edition"? Supposedly it's got 1,800 hp on jet fuel, laser guided smart bombs, and a chrome brush guard. It doesn't discriminate. It will literally blow Viper's, Abarth's, and garbage trucks into a fifth dimension. No, I'm serious. Literally.
I like the CFZ because it eliminates another color/texture on the vents and aero. Plus, it'll be easy to repair if you ever ding up the splitter or a side skirt.
Yep...my order is in and will lock on Tuesday. Spoke with Mike@Criswell this morning at 8:50. Ordered a blade silver/adrenaline red 3LZ A8. I am very on the fence about the Z07 package, but right now have ordered without it.

I spent about 20-minutes looking at that yellow Z07 at the local dealer last week. That thing just explodes in the sunlight.
S.
Old 12-11-2014, 07:12 PM
Glenn Quagmire
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Snorman
I like the CFZ because it eliminates another color/texture on the vents and aero. Plus, it'll be easy to repair if you ever ding up the splitter or a side skirt.
Yep...my order is in and will lock on Tuesday. Spoke with Mike@Criswell this morning at 8:50. Ordered a blade silver/adrenaline red 3LZ A8. I am very on the fence about the Z07 package, but right now have ordered without it.

I spent about 20-minutes looking at that yellow Z07 at the local dealer last week. That thing just explodes in the sunlight.
S.
I've got a friend coming over tomorrow to see mine. He's on the fence about ordering a Blade Silver Z, or buying this...

A rare manual Murci. Sweet, but not for $549K.
Old 12-11-2014, 07:13 PM
Yellow03Z06
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Giggidy Giggidy!

Get notified of new replies

To First Drive: My New Z07 vs. my C6 ZR1

Old 12-11-2014, 07:17 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Received 551 Likes on 311 Posts

I can't believe the clutch is even lighter than the ZR1. That thing was too light already. So I should expect the brakes and throttle to snap my neck and the clutch to have no pressure.

First world problems again. Better than a drag clutch I drove for a while.
Old 12-11-2014, 07:17 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Glenn Quagmire
I've got a friend coming over tomorrow to see mine. He's on the fence about ordering a Blade Silver Z, or buying this...

A rare manual Murci. Sweet, but not for $549K.
But will it beat a Gen V Viper from 60-160?
S.
Old 12-11-2014, 07:23 PM
CORVETTEZL1001
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

The velocity is the highest impact color on the Z06 and the reason GM used it as there first display vehicle. The Z06 will get 10 times more attention than your ZR1 ever did. Enjoy it!

Quick Reply: First Drive: My New Z07 vs. my C6 ZR1