C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports
View Poll Results: Why is the C7 Z06 so Polarizing???
I bought a Z because it's the best performance value on the market
38.30%
I'm buying a performance car, but not a Z, because it's not fast enough
6.38%
I'm buying a performance car, but not a Z, because it's not engineered and/or built well
6.81%
I'm planning to buy a Z when the time is right
40.43%
I don't plan to buy a Z or any other performance car now
8.09%
Voters: 235. You may not vote on this poll

POLL: Why is the Z06 so polarizing???

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2014, 04:01 PM
Hirohawa
Le Mans Master

Received 248 Likes on 158 Posts

Can't really add to this outdated list but thank you for posting this breaking news about the 2002 C5 Z06.

The world has become accustomed to all of your points over the last 14 years and 3 generations of Z06 so don't really understand the added benefit of reiterating these long standing truths. I am assuming you are referring to the C5 Z06 because only an ignorant non enthusiast would ever accuse the C5 Z06 and C6 Z06 of being "the "dumb" muscle car with straight line nonsense".

But I guess it is "informative" in a kitschy retro kinda way. I mean the only people who continued to believe the Corvette couldn't handle around a racetrack for the last decade and a half are senior citizens used to garbage Vettes from the late 70's and early eighties.

Originally Posted by dio55
Because
1. The Z represents the complete overshadowing of all other American sports cars as a track car, WHICH IS WHAT IT WAS BUILT FOR..And that angered the last gen owners

2. Corvette has left the realms of the "dumb" muscle car with straight line nonsense and gone for refined handling rather than "roll on racing" and that gave the butt hurts some handle for a "gotcha moment"

3. The Corvette has now met and surpassed it's European rivals and has NO weak points like poor interior and that angered the "euro is always better butt hurts"

4. Some have recently paid 100-130k for Vipers and ZR1's and have buyers remorse so are rooting for the the Z to FAIL

5. EVERY single auto mag review even by traditional haters like the European ones have been heaping praises and awards on the Z and that has the butthurts on suicide watch

6. People always hate WINNERS and Chevy can't build them fast enough with no end in sight

Whenever you hear the "I wanted to like it " , It's overhyped " ," look at my viper" , "It's no (insert foreign car name here", "The sky is falling" yadda yadda yadda ..you know they fall in one or more of the above categories

Feel free to add to the list
Old 12-23-2014, 04:05 PM
Divexxtreme
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry if I gave that impression. The ACR is the single BEST production car I have ever driven on a track and its a PURE drivers car ..One of my top 5 favorite cars of all time . I would buy an untouched one in a second but those are like unicorns almost impossible to find .
The new one is out and will be waiting in line at the dealership to get one.
Late model Vipers have just gotten stale and poorly put together after the government bailout and that lost them many fans AND buyers
Not all of the records are held by ACRs. A GTS holds the record at Reno-Fernley, and the Gen V TA has the record at Thermal Club. The TA also held the record at Laguna Seca until the 918 beat it a few months ago.

All Vipers, regardless of model, are track cars. No Vipers are straight-line only cars. But they do happen to be very fast in straight-lines.

Last edited by Divexxtreme; 12-23-2014 at 04:21 PM.
Old 12-23-2014, 04:35 PM
SteveDoten@ARH
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

$78 for Z06
$120 for Viper

C7 Z06 looks better.

That sums it up.
Old 12-23-2014, 04:41 PM
Glenn Quagmire
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 604 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by Divexxtreme
Not all of the records are held by ACRs. A GTS holds the record at Reno-Fernley, and the Gen V TA has the record at Thermal Club. The TA also held the record at Laguna Seca until the 918 beat it a few months ago.

All Vipers, regardless of model, are track cars. No Vipers are straight-line only cars. But they do happen to be very fast in straight-lines.
Like others here, I'm a fan of American power. Definitely not a GM Kool-Aid drinker. I want to like to the Viper, mainly because of it's not something one sees everyday. But, I'm just not married to the lines of the car. Many love it. I think it looks like a clown shoe. Before ordering my Z07, I did give it some thought...but just couldn't pull the trigger.

I hope that Fiat doesn't destroy the Viper, but rather, gives it a revolutionary update, because I might be persuaded to give one a try. An updated GT could be an interesting choice as well. As it stands, I've got a deposit on a ZR1/Zora and am thinking about the possibility of also buying an NSX.
Old 12-23-2014, 04:53 PM
NineBall
Safety Car

Received 107 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveDoten@ARH
$78 for Z06
$120 for Viper

C7 Z06 looks better.

That sums it up.
$78k base Z06
$85k base Viper

The TA msrp is $105k, about like a Z07.

Prices have become negligible differences, between the two.
Old 12-23-2014, 04:56 PM
ALLANB
Pro

$78 for Z06
$120 for Viper

C7 Z06 looks better.

That sums it up.
Can get a Viper for a lot less after the new price drop.

I think they are both great looking cars . And Vipers will probably be a lot less common out there as time goes by. Way higher production and sales on the Corvettes. But wouldn't kick either one out of my garage.
Old 12-23-2014, 05:26 PM
Divexxtreme
Pro

Originally Posted by Glenn Quagmire
Like others here, I'm a fan of American power. Definitely not a GM Kool-Aid drinker. I want to like to the Viper, mainly because of it's not something one sees everyday. But, I'm just not married to the lines of the car. Many love it. I think it looks like a clown shoe. Before ordering my Z07, I did give it some thought...but just couldn't pull the trigger.

I hope that Fiat doesn't destroy the Viper, but rather, gives it a revolutionary update, because I might be persuaded to give one a try. An updated GT could be an interesting choice as well. As it stands, I've got a deposit on a ZR1/Zora and am thinking about the possibility of also buying an NSX.

I hear you. I love the looks of the Viper, always have, but looks are subjective.

Truth be told, I really like the C7 Z06. I think it's nearly as sexy as the Viper is, but in a different way. I'm honestly considering getting a A8 Stage 1 aero package to drive as a daily. I won't get rid of my Viper for one, because I think it excels in ways that the Z06 does not.

But...I do like the Z. My issues with the Z are the excessive weight (which really annoys me), the quality issues we are seeing, the underwhelming performance relative to the claims from GM, and the glaring ECU issue that GM seems to be perfectly content to not fix. I'm not a hater at all. Just someone who is trying to be honest about both cars.
Old 12-23-2014, 05:32 PM
Hirohawa
Le Mans Master

Received 248 Likes on 158 Posts

Funny how the original point of this and many thread specifically about the C7 Z06 turn into straw man shenanigans about the Viper and the C6.

So the C7 Z06 may be polarizing because of Viper/C6? Makes sense.
Old 12-23-2014, 05:42 PM
mammoth713
Melting Slicks

Received 555 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by Hirohawa
Weight/Supercharger - The Z06 Ethos has been Lightest and fastest of all Corvettes with a higher performing Naturally Aspirated engine. Both of those are gone. The approx. 400 lbs gained is shocking. I think many on here would have chosen a higher performing NA engine even with slightly less HP. A slight weight gain would have been acceptable as the C6 gained 80lbs over the C5 variant. But at almost 5X that amount added abandons the original ethos and performance benefits to this model. Plus as someone who likes to track their car on a road course on occasion eating through brakes, tires and other consumables at a higher rate is a big no no for my needs.
Old 12-23-2014, 05:54 PM
Blvdbrawler
Melting Slicks

Received 226 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by 94Lt1Vette
Seriously? Magazine racing?
So you trust cheesy illegal street racing fish stories and fixed videos to base your car performance knowledge huh?

I tell you what, Im a prince from a country that has not been discovered yet and have $1 Billion in my account. But while Im in the states, I just need $10,000 to hold me over at the Trump Plaza until my money gets here. If you send me the cash, Ill gladly give you $1 Million for your help as soon as the money deposits.

Cash only please kind fool...
Old 12-23-2014, 06:02 PM
Blvdbrawler
Melting Slicks

Received 226 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by red2012
Here is something to chew on. Forgetting about all the seemingly failures of the new Z my question is why would anyone drop 100k on this mass produced,
dime a dozen resale tanking car when you can get a Viper T/A for around the same money that only 150 of were built in 2014 and from what I hear only 99
will be built in 2015. A car that is N/A, no heat soak, proven drivetrain, amazing hand built and painted fit/finish, exclusivity, world class components and
the performance to back it all up. Maybe not the best out there but certainly the best car on the market by far for its price point and quality. Put a loaded
up Z next to a T/A and unless you are purely GM bias how could anyone pick the Z, unless of course you’ve drank too much Tadge-Aid.
I would get it simply because somebody like YOU is advising everybody not to!
Old 12-23-2014, 06:29 PM
Carnut12
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

Because
1. The Z represents the complete overshadowing of all other American sports cars as a track car, WHICH IS WHAT IT WAS BUILT FOR..And that angered the last gen owners

2. Corvette has left the realms of the "dumb" muscle car with straight line nonsense and gone for refined handling rather than "roll on racing" and that gave the butt hurts some handle for a "gotcha moment"

3. The Corvette has now met and surpassed it's European rivals and has NO weak points like poor interior and that angered the "euro is always better butt hurts"

4. Some have recently paid 100-130k for Vipers and ZR1's and have buyers remorse so are rooting for the the Z to FAIL

5. EVERY single auto mag review even by traditional haters like the European ones have been heaping praises and awards on the Z and that has the butthurts on suicide watch

6. People always hate WINNERS and Chevy can't build them fast enough with no end in sight

Whenever you hear the "I wanted to like it " , It's overhyped " ," look at my viper" , "It's no (insert foreign car name here", "The sky is falling" yadda yadda yadda ..you know they fall in one or more of the above categories

Feel free to add to the list

I am not sure if this is sarcasm or not, but if not it is plain ignorance.

Everyone that continues to think those with a Viper or European car are butt hurt ( I honestly can't believe I just used that absurd word term) or jealous in any way make absolutely no sense. If that was the case why wouldn't they just buy a Vette? They obviously can afford any Vette made.

Last edited by Carnut12; 12-23-2014 at 07:12 PM.
Old 12-23-2014, 06:31 PM
355Spider
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Z51/z06
Patients, wait until spring, numbers will come out. When I was taking delivery of my z06 at Bowling Green, I was told about testing that will be taking place in spring. They will be testing against all the cars that you're familiar with, Ferraris, Lamborghinis and such and we'll see how it does. GM has always said this car is a track car, not a drag car. And perhaps GM wants to get a better track time than the car has already done, and is waiting till spring to give an official time. I don't understand why they have to operate on your schedule. 😀
Well I think that would be acceptable but that's not true either. We already found out it flames out after a few laps.
Old 12-23-2014, 06:34 PM
Carnut12
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

$78 for Z06
$120 for Viper

C7 Z06 looks better.

That sums it up.
Ummmmm

Vipers are going for $90K, some lower, some higher. Where did you get $120K from??? If you pay $120K for a Viper today you did zero research and are very foolish.
Old 12-23-2014, 06:57 PM
1991Z07
Safety Car

Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by 355Spider
Well I think that would be acceptable but that's not true either. We already found out it flames out after a few laps.
Really?

Exactly WHERE did we "find this out"?

Since...nobody with a Z06 has had it on a track yet...

Rumors and supposition...gotta love it. It's now become fact.

I guess you all should just go CANCEL your orders now...
Old 12-23-2014, 07:06 PM
SteveDoten@ARH
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by NineBall
$78k base Z06
$85k base Viper

The TA msrp is $105k, about like a Z07.

Prices have become negligible differences, between the two.
I'm in the wrong income bracket for this thread. /removed.
Old 12-23-2014, 07:20 PM
dio55
Racer

Received 190 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Hirohawa
Can't really add to this outdated list but thank you for posting this breaking news about the 2002 C5 Z06.

The world has become accustomed to all of your points over the last 14 years and 3 generations of Z06 so don't really understand the added benefit of reiterating these long standing truths. I am assuming you are referring to the C5 Z06 because only an ignorant non enthusiast would ever accuse the C5 Z06 and C6 Z06 of being "the "dumb" muscle car with straight line nonsense".

But I guess it is "informative" in a kitschy retro kinda way. I mean the only people who continued to believe the Corvette couldn't handle around a racetrack for the last decade and a half are senior citizens used to garbage Vettes from the late 70's and early eighties.

I agree with you it did start with the C5 and followed with the C6 and progressed again with the C7 all three cars have graduated from "muscle car "status ...The first time I got my a$$ handed to me with the 12C on a track by an untouched ZR1 was like

Get notified of new replies

To POLL: Why is the Z06 so polarizing???

Old 12-23-2014, 07:49 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

$78 for Z06
$120 for Viper

C7 Z06 looks better.

That sums it up.
Regardless of the list price a 2014 or 2015 viper can be purchased for 85 to 90k maybe even as low as 75 or 80k.

At first i thought the c7z06 looked better than a viper, the more I see the c7 the more l like the looks of the Genv viper. C7 looks like it will make it in to the avis rental car fleet soon, just as the C6 did.
Old 12-23-2014, 07:54 PM
355Spider
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 1991Z07
Really?

Exactly WHERE did we "find this out"?

Since...nobody with a Z06 has had it on a track yet...

Rumors and supposition...gotta love it. It's now become fact.

I guess you all should just go CANCEL your orders now...
Road and Track. Randy Pobst tested it and it was overheating after 4 laps.
Old 12-23-2014, 08:18 PM
JMB
Melting Slicks

Received 465 Likes on 260 Posts

.....it strikes me that there is a level of hostility among one another regarding the Z06 launch that I haven't seen manifested on other sites. I get and respect that some feel the new Z just doesn't meet the straight line speed quotient, but wonder if it's something more than that??
Glenn, to answer you question in one word "NINEBALL"! And this is absolutely no disrespect to Tony because I hold him, his integrity, his automotive knowledge and objectivity in the highest regards since I have interfaced with him for many years dating back to the LS1tech Forums. As I mentioned in his post regarding the first Viper/Z06 video he found a way to exploit the current weakness of the new Z. And if you listen to Tony and nspec, they read the reviews and whether "on paper" or actual tests to date 11.2 ET vs 11.3 from a dead stop the 2015 Z06 will spank a new Viper TA! Of course all of the Viper Fanboys will point out that 0.1 seconds isn't a spanking but to me when you're beat....you're beat, just like Tony beat nspec on a roll race.

Now here's where the animosity sets in and why (IMHO) the discussions become very polarizing.....that one video shook the faith of many in GM's statements regarding the new Z but it shouldn't have. Suddenly the Viper Fanboys had something to rally around because they were getting sick and tired about hearing how great the new Z is and this was the first evidence that maybe there is a ***** in the armour. People, including myself, don't personally care for the Viper and we shouldn't criticize taste or opinions but Tony's post quickly turned into that and turned off a lot of people. I'll be the first to fess up that I like stirring up the pot occasionally but the veil of the Internet prevents people from always understanding context or when you're just making a playful poke like you might in a bar over a beer and suddenly people are ready for a bar fight on the Internet!

The great news is that the C7Z will be a raging success and here's why.....GM does not spend the kind of money they do on development and make written public claims about their cars that will not stand up to the scrutiny of the legal system. When GM posts that the new C7Z will put up the fastest 1/4 mile time of ANY Corvette, ZR1 included, you had better believe it because IT WILL BE TRUE! Think about it...if you look on the CF bone-stock C6Z list, with a GM advertised 11.7 @ 127 MPH we have a bone stock C6Z running high 10's at just under 130 MPH in good air. You can certainly believe that the C7Z with an advertised 11.2 ET for the M7 will find it's way EASILY into the high 10's once these cars are out for a while....now the MPH will likely not be much over 130-ish but that's okay because MPH doesn't win 1/4 mile races, ET does! The only place MPH matters are on Nineball video's

And speaking of ET's I fully expect the A8 C7Z's to be in the mid 10's soon and you can count on that too! This will upset the Viper Fanboys and of course they will claim that this is cheating because the Viper doesn't offer an auto trans so the only "fiar comparison to a Viper is M7 to M6....oh well, you run what ya brung

Where I can't fault the Viper Fanboys though is that on the street, the Viper will be faster than the C7Z just based on the 1/4 mile MPH....for those that do street race...we all have and I don't anymore either due to Safety reasons, the bone stock Viper will spank the bone stock Z because a lot of these races typically are 40-140...this (as C7Z owners) we will just begrudgingly have to accept but for me, I just don't care....my new Z is awesome and I love it! And if I do race my new Z....it will be at a sanctioned 1/4 mile Track and I do fully expect to spank the Viper in ET...even if it's only by ~0.1 seconds and I'll have to spot the higher MPH to the Viper but I'll enjoy this over the drink supplied by the losing Viper driver After all, we're all racers at heart and the good news is that I find when I am at the track everyone typically loses their brand loyalty and just want to help their fellow hobbyist get the most out of their cars...I know I do even though I flip a lot of people crap on this Forum and other Forums

Quick Reply: POLL: Why is the Z06 so polarizing???