C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Test Drive = SOLD!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2015, 11:15 PM
randyn
Instructor

Received 70 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Test Drive = SOLD!!

I have been waiting for this car to come out for years and watching this forum everyday. Now that the car has arrived, it is hard to ignore all the controversy the new approach mechanically of what they did with the car (7.0 liter vs the little blower motor).

Well, a friend of mine drops the bomb on me that he bought a Z06. White with red interior and the Z07 package. So, I was lucky enough to have him stop by and let me drive it. We did a little highway run and some short stop and go driving around the hood.

I was so impressed, I felt the need to express my experience to anybody that has not pulled the trigger. Also, I have read a lot of comparisons, very good ones, regarding their impressions of the Z06 vs the ZR1. However, what I experienced I have not read before and it really puts in to perspective a lot of the comments about he LT4 and even this recent ******** about how this car runs.

If your here to correct my grammar, please leave. Now to the car:

I have driven a lot of fast cars. My last car was a 911 turbo, prior was a Z06 that was a solid roller motor with a sheet metal intake. Then a pro-mod 69' Camaro with a Dart Little Chief motor that made 1150 HP at 9600 RPM.

Point is I have driven ALL types of fast cars. LITTLE motors with turbos (Porsche), small cubic inch Chevy's with crazy RPM, Mustangs galore and lots of exotics. There is nothing that drives like this car. Here is why! Chevy nailed it with the LT4. This is the first car that I have ever driven that has the immediate throttle response of a NA motor, I'm not talking about the tq, I know, I'm strictly talking about the throttle response. The tq is next. The incredible tq combined with the immediate throttle response makes an amazing experience.

95% of the time most people are not driving their cars full throttle. Sure there are many cars that one way or another are fast through either lots of tq or NA and lots of RPM. Full throttle and they are all fun, but that other 95% time. Well, they are boring. NOT this car.

The only car that I can even think that comes close is the Audi RS7, and please don't mention the Viper. Yes they are fast, but my experience is the motor feels lazy except when full throttle. (Talking throttle response)

Anytime, Any gear, RIGHT NOW! That is the Z06. The motor is a light switch! It is point and shoot!

If you have any doubts about this car, drive one and you will be SOLD.

PERIOD!!!

If you are concerned about losing a roll race at 150 mph, or your an idiot who actually races someone 7 times in a row, just mod the car. I have already planned my mods after looking at dyno graphs. This car is begging for another 1000 RPM. This car will be an absolute beast with a real cam. Please tuners show us the real potential of the LT4. Then maybe a KB blower.

Thanks Steve for the ride. Also, after the rev-match experience, you may think twice about the automatic.

Randy
Old 01-02-2015, 11:21 PM
123sugey
Dig
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 759 Likes on 515 Posts

^^^
A realist for sure
Old 01-02-2015, 11:22 PM
petecaballero
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Interesting and welcomed comments. You are right, I haven't heard a lot about throttle response. Thanks for your review. Should have mine in March.
Old 01-02-2015, 11:43 PM
3LZZ06
_"SCOTT"_
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by randyn

Chevy nailed it with the LT4. This is the first car that I have ever driven that has the immediate throttle response of a NA motor, I'm not talking about the tq, I know, I'm strictly talking about the throttle response. The tq is next. The incredible tq combined with the immediate throttle response makes an amazing experience.

Randy
Randy, the LT4 has a blower, (FI) forced induction, therefore is not (NA) naturally aspirated...
Old 01-02-2015, 11:52 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by 3LZZ06
Randy, the LT4 has a blower, (FI) forced induction, therefore is not (NA) naturally aspirated...
You are misinterpreting his comment. Read the parenthesized portion of the second sentence.
S.
Old 01-03-2015, 12:03 AM
Dethred
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

I think people will hesitate to mod the car after seeing some of the troubles, including a blown engine, that folks are having. Wouldn't be a good feeling having your motor let go a few hundred miles after squeaking out a few extra horsepower with a warranty-voiding tune.
Old 01-03-2015, 12:09 AM
3LZZ06
_"SCOTT"_
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Snorman
You are misinterpreting his comment. Read the parenthesized portion of the second sentence.
S.
You're right, my mistake.

I must say that I'm still confused by his assessment of immediate throttle response of an NA setup...compared to what?

I went from an '08 Z to a '10 ZR and the throttle response is the same (admittedly could be quicker for both, but still the same)
Old 01-03-2015, 12:13 AM
phantasms
Leeds.io
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 398 Likes on 239 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Amen Randy.

I have no need to defend this car because the more people drive it the more the nonsense will sink into the past. This car is fvckin' bananananas.
Old 01-03-2015, 12:15 AM
randyn
Instructor

Please read from the top!

I know the motor has a tiny blower. Let's be more detailed. The trade off of the small blower has resulted in a motor that has the throttle response of a NA motor, and the large torque of a supercharged motor.

The whole point was that the driving experience is phenomenal for 95% of the time. To conquer the other 5% for roll races, track or other racing, mods may be in order,

I'm not here to debate whether to mod your car. Each his own.

Point is that even if you don't mod the car, you will enjoy an amazing and very unique driving experience most of the time when driving your car.

Chevy..WELL DONE!

Not commenting about one blown motor..Nuf said.
Old 01-03-2015, 12:15 AM
begone
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great review, thank you. Seems like GM really did their homework, or better yet, did exactly what they said they did and built it along side their C7.R
Old 01-03-2015, 12:22 AM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by Dethred
I think people will hesitate to mod the car after seeing some of the troubles, including a blown engine, that folks are having. Wouldn't be a good feeling having your motor let go a few hundred miles after squeaking out a few extra horsepower with a warranty-voiding tune.
That's a very astute observation. I would suggest you don't mod your C7 Z06.
Oh wait...
S.
Old 01-03-2015, 12:23 AM
randyn
Instructor

Thought of another way to explain the experience. The motor has the surge of tq like a turbo motor, but no-lag and just RIGHT NOW!

And you can modulate that with the accelerator. Turbo cars put you back, but seem to build increased tq somewhat un-controlled.

It is really a unique experience!

Please do your self a favor and try to drive one.

Trust me, you will be SOLD on this car.

Old 01-03-2015, 04:49 AM
JustinStrife
Team Owner

Received 96 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Snorman
That's a very astute observation. I would suggest you don't mod your C7 Z06.
Oh wait...
S.
Damnit Snorman why you gotta be like that to the C6 guys.
Old 01-03-2015, 07:02 AM
Blvdbrawler
Melting Slicks

Received 226 Likes on 137 Posts

Awesome review! I cant wait to get mine...Just got an update and Im at 3300...Should be here just in time for the good weather!
Old 01-03-2015, 08:11 AM
Too-Fast
Safety Car

Received 793 Likes on 537 Posts
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Just read the Feb MT review of the Z06/Z07 and Randy Pobst is very high on the car. "The price is bewildering, as you'd need to spend nearly $1million elsewhere to reach Z06 performance".
Old 01-03-2015, 08:14 AM
arcticblast
Le Mans Master

Received 240 Likes on 135 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

I agree that one drive will convince most people of the greatness of this car. Yes, you will want one.
Old 01-03-2015, 09:48 AM
Wolfhunter
7th Gear

Thanks for the feedback.... makes me wanna trade my c6z for c7z soon. Wish these nice darm dealers let me test drive these machines.............

Last edited by Wolfhunter; 01-03-2015 at 09:52 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Test Drive = SOLD!!

Old 01-03-2015, 10:00 AM
jrubicon
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 3LZZ06
You're right, my mistake.

I must say that I'm still confused by his assessment of immediate throttle response of an NA setup...compared to what?

I went from an '08 Z to a '10 ZR and the throttle response is the same (admittedly could be quicker for both, but still the same)
I understand your confusion. I also owned an 07 Z and 13 ZR1( lazy throttle response). You will need to drive the c7 z06 to experience the difference. It is amazing.
Old 01-03-2015, 10:07 AM
BOBSZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 319 Likes on 205 Posts

Randyn.......thanks for posting an honest opinion about this SuperCar!
Your ability to compare the General's best Corvette ever to other cars you have driven is a big plus.
Always very interesting to hear from someone that actually has driven this beast compared to those that haven't.
Old 01-03-2015, 10:21 AM
Steve Guinta
8th Gear

I'm the guy randy drove with, this car is nothing short of fing amazing. I test drove a farari, lambo,Mercedes black series before buying this car. This car takes the cake. I sold my old Z06 then bought a viper, now back to the Z06. It's like night and day. I love this car. Enough said��

Quick Reply: Test Drive = SOLD!!