C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Road & Track article with my Z06 :)

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2016, 01:46 AM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by graj6

Ever heard of these things?

1. XPEL Ultimate / Suntek
2. Opticoat Pro Plus / Cquartz
3. WeatherTech mats
4. Freedom to choose what to do with your own things?
Your "man" in the picture is a long ways from freedom to choose do your own things he is a dictator!
You guys care very free to use your Z06 in the snow and winter. I'll use my GMC!

After 1-2 winters your car will be looking shabby up close. It is not just the Z06 is the lousiest winter car. As it is!

But the gravel and salt spray from the roads where they put it down and that is any where
it freezes regularly.. The other cars will pelt your windshield and hood you will need full expel.

Expel doesn't stop a lot of damage only sand spray rocks will still show
the winter damage. Then a lot of it is from other cars.

Then the who wants weather tech mats in there Z06 to catch snow?

Don't forget the shovel and broom and kitty litter!
Old 10-17-2016, 01:55 AM
graj6
Burning Brakes

Received 353 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by 3 Z06ZR1
Your "man" in the picture is a long ways from freedom to choose do your own things he is a dictator!
You guys care very free to use your Z06 in the snow and winter. I'll use my GMC!

After 1-2 winters your car will be looking shabby up close. It is not just the Z06 is the lousiest winter car. As it is!

But the gravel and salt spray from the roads where they put it down and that is any where
it freezes regularly.. The other cars will pelt your windshield and hood you will need full expel.

Some of us do indeed have a lot more XPEL than you think (and it stops way more damage than you think too) :P

Oh well, at least you got one thing right amidst all that opinionated crap you just spouted.
Old 10-17-2016, 02:09 AM
hootowlc7
Burning Brakes

Received 95 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by phantasms
Last winter we picked up a 16 LTZ Tahoe. It's stunning and I love it. Once it finally snowed I was all like ok here we go! Nope! I can say, without question, that the Z06 with winter tires on it is better and safer in the snow than the 4WD Tahoe with all seasons. I always see those articles of RWD with winters VS AWD with all seasons and the winters always win. Of course once the snow piles up 6+" that's a different story. With that said I look forward to my third winter daily driving the Z with zero issues...and will be getting Police wheels with Blizzaks for the Tahoe.

Best,
Gene
I've been driving 4x4 trucks for the last 15-20 years. I used to have a Mustang GT that wouldn't even move on snow covered roads because of the weight of the V8 up front. My current truck is a Dodge 2500 Cummins 4x4. It is incredibly well behaved in the snow. A literal beast. I guess if you can afford to drive a 100,000 dollar car in the winter, in snow salt and ice, it's your prerogative. Not me. I do drive my car though. Got almost 9000 miles on here since 12-31-14. Sometimes drive it to work, sometimes in the rain but not intentionally. With respect to vehicle size and accidents, I have never been in a winter accident with my trucks in all those years but would much rather be in the truck than a low riding, plastic overpowered sled. I can't see how my front splitter on my Z wouldn't basically plow it to a stop. With that said, mine stays in the garage all winter except when we get a warm spell and some rain washes the salt away. Here's my snow driver...

Old 10-17-2016, 02:28 AM
graj6
Burning Brakes

I don't think anyone's saying the Z06 (or in my case, my GS) is the BEST EVER choice for a winter car - only that it can be driven in a couple inches of snow with the right skills and the right tires. Yes, some of us are not as risk averse as those who like garaging their cars and we don't treat them like garage queens. That being said, I'm not going to drive any regular car unless I absolutely HAVE to if there's as much snow as shown in the picture above - enough to turn the front end into a snow plow. I'd either stay home (I have the choice where I live) or get a second car for those extremes (a high clearance SUV or a pickup truck and put winter tires on that too).

As much money as I've put into this car, I did it for the enjoyment I get out of driving it, not because I want to protect its value like a Ferrari (because it'll never hold its value like a Ferrari).

I drive my car when it rains outside too (and I have Opti and XPEL all over it) and take it to the grocery store, restaurants, shopping malls, work, wherever else I go on a daily basis. I would rather compromise on spending a bit more time finding a better parking spot or getting more protective coatings/films on the car or spending more on winter tires, than compromise by NOT driving this car.
Old 10-17-2016, 02:58 AM
Hirohawa
Le Mans Master

Received 248 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by 3 Z06ZR1

it freezes regularly..
The other cars will pelt your windshield and hood you will need full expel.

"Man" your writing is grueling. It's just a brutal experience endeavoring to read your posts.

Glad to see you getting along with people in the C7 Z06 section. And by getting along I mean fighting and insulting people's financial status only to have it shoved back in your face.

Now go off and play with your Air Filter. Maybe you can add 50 hp to your GMC and pull out tree stumps easier from your backwoods palace.

The following 3 users liked this post by Hirohawa:
phantasms (10-17-2016), sam90lx (10-17-2016), Woodson (10-17-2016)
Old 10-17-2016, 05:51 AM
hootowlc7
Burning Brakes

Received 95 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by graj6
I don't think anyone's saying the Z06 (or in my case, my GS) is the BEST EVER choice for a winter car - only that it can be driven in a couple inches of snow with the right skills and the right tires. Yes, some of us are not as risk averse as those who like garaging their cars and we don't treat them like garage queens. That being said, I'm not going to drive any regular car unless I absolutely HAVE to if there's as much snow as shown in the picture above - enough to turn the front end into a snow plow. I'd either stay home (I have the choice where I live) or get a second car for those extremes (a high clearance SUV or a pickup truck and put winter tires on that too).

As much money as I've put into this car, I did it for the enjoyment I get out of driving it, not because I want to protect its value like a Ferrari (because it'll never hold its value like a Ferrari).

I drive my car when it rains outside too (and I have Opti and XPEL all over it) and take it to the grocery store, restaurants, shopping malls, work, wherever else I go on a daily basis. I would rather compromise on spending a bit more time finding a better parking spot or getting more protective coatings/films on the car or spending more on winter tires, than compromise by NOT driving this car.

I do much of the same. Trunk is pretty roomy. I just don't feel the need to drive it in ice and/or snow at all. Not as much because it's not your everyday driver, more because I don't want to destroy it. You don't see older Corvette beaters out there much at all in the winter either. I think Greg has money to burn or it's not his car. It certainly gets us going though

Last edited by hootowlc7; 10-17-2016 at 05:52 AM.
Old 10-17-2016, 11:56 AM
Edwardz
Burning Brakes

Received 287 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by sunsalem
FWIW:

I don't have a problem with anyone who wishes to drive their RWD Pride & Joy in snow and ice.
Throw some winter tires or studs or chains on there and have at it...it's their vehicle.

HOWEVER....
Everyone has a responsibility to be as safe as possible in poor road conditions.
Not to themselves necessarily, but to OTHERS.
The possibility of losing control and taking out a family in a mini-van is something that should factor into any decision regarding driving in nasty conditions.
Some guys may think their winter skills would make the Finns blush with embarrassment and that's fine and whatever.
BUT, no one has a right to fnck up and kill/injure others in something that could have been avoided in the first place.
Some peoples patronizing holier than thou believes are incredible. Thank God almighty that they are in the minority. Of course we should all drive safely and be very careful. It's very annoying to hear people that have a false sense of moral superiority. If somebody's moral contribution to society is not driving thier Corvette in the winter OMG.
The following users liked this post:
phantasms (10-17-2016)
Old 10-17-2016, 12:29 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by Edwardz
Some peoples patronizing holier than thou believes are incredible. Thank God almighty that they are in the minority. Of course we should all drive safely and be very careful. It's very annoying to hear people that have a false sense of moral superiority. If somebody's moral contribution to society is not driving thier Corvette in the winter OMG.
REALLY?

Old 10-17-2016, 12:56 PM
jordanC6Z06
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 18 Posts

My garage that my 17 Z will be sleeping in for the winter, and my lifted F150 for plowing through the snow as my winter beater. Kudos for anyone driving the vette in the winter, but I'll tell you right now, up here in Canada, there's no chance in hell you'd be able to pull it off unless every road is freshly plowed. The last dump before spring ended was 20inches, 4X4 for the win to make it to work. Maybe that's just Canadian problems? Haha
Old 10-17-2016, 02:03 PM
phantasms
Leeds.io
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 398 Likes on 239 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16
NCM Sinkhole Donor

REALLY?

Really

Old 10-17-2016, 02:08 PM
graj6
Burning Brakes

Here you go, from a couple winters ago in the Puget Sound area.. you see way more overconfident SUV owners with all-seasons in the ditches than you see sports cars.

Old 10-17-2016, 02:54 PM
bradgto
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

[QUOTE=sam90lx;1593268758]
Originally Posted by Edwardz

Some Hillbilly just got owned.
i was thinking the same thing FUNNY!!!!

This thread makes me want to buy snow tires for my Z!!!! had them on my 450rwhp GTO and would pick that car to drive on snow days as opposed to my F250. and on the ice days for sure the GTO!!!! got to work one day and didn't know why everyone in the parking lot was walking so slow as I drove by them, got out of my car and realized it was ICE.. Blizzaks for the win!!

Last edited by bradgto; 10-17-2016 at 02:54 PM.
Old 10-17-2016, 03:21 PM
Edwardz
Burning Brakes

REALLY?

L

I hope everyone was ok! Those don't look like winter tires to me. Proper preparation is even more important in a powerful car.
Old 10-17-2016, 03:23 PM
Edwardz
Burning Brakes

[QUOTE=bradgto;1593273266]
Originally Posted by sam90lx

i was thinking the same thing FUNNY!!!!

This thread makes me want to buy snow tires for my Z!!!! had them on my 450rwhp GTO and would pick that car to drive on snow days as opposed to my F250. and on the ice days for sure the GTO!!!! got to work one day and didn't know why everyone in the parking lot was walking so slow as I drove by them, got out of my car and realized it was ICE.. Blizzaks for the win!!
Too bad they don't make studded 335/25/20s
Old 10-17-2016, 03:40 PM
phantasms
Leeds.io
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 398 Likes on 239 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Here's another. I took this shot heading down the highway. The guy crawled out the back doors of his van after rolling. First thing he saw, in amazement I'm sure , was me calmly cruising past in the Z.

It's all about the rubbers.

Last edited by phantasms; 10-17-2016 at 03:43 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by phantasms:
Hirohawa (10-18-2016), Woodson (10-17-2016)
Old 10-18-2016, 02:52 AM
djnice
Melting Slicks

Received 516 Likes on 445 Posts

^That's cool. Glad he was okay.

Quick Reply: Road & Track article with my Z06 :)