C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Removing body parts thread.....

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2018, 08:49 PM
KGrant
Melting Slicks

Received 1,195 Likes on 663 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

I am just adding an update based on just completing this on my C7 Z51 with Dry Sump Tank.

It's a pain in the butt because the Sump Tank is backed in there tight on the passenger side and difficult to get to the 3rd bottom screw to remove the vent.

I finally got the last screw removed but I had to remove my side skirt, remove the fender screws underneath the body, remove the Sump tank Bolt at the top and move bolt from Sump Tank at bottom behind the wheel liner.

Do all of this and it allows you to pull the fender out and get your hand behind there but it is still tough or tight but I finally got the last screw.

[QUOTE=hootowlc7;1589131870]Started this to consolidate how-to's on the trim pieces... vents, spats, grill and so on.
I will be replacing the wheel moldings (spats), hood vent, side "Z06" panels and the rear upper shoulder vents with carbon fiber pieces.
As I get responses, I'll update each one up here in the first post. Hopefully as the weather comes around here this coming few weeks, I'll attempt some of this myself with pictures.
Also, some people from non-Z06 forums might chime in as a few of the things might be done the same and they may have info from the service manual. We can also post links to YouTube or other posts.

Front wheel well spats

From member Elegant:

"The spats come off, starting at the front with an underneath bolt (just like mud guards), then three torque-headed small screws, then, across the top, two sided tape, then two male protrusions (to align it perfectly with the fender, with no snaps or clips there), then one "snap clip" (like the whole car is out together). Tiny bit tricky in the rearmost part (one snap-clip) because the front edge of the skirt is right against it, but can be finessed (no loosening nor adjustment of the skirts needed)."

Hood Vent

Open hood. Remove 2 torque head screws on the inside of the vent and remove large plastic cowling. Hood vent can then be pushed out from the outside of the hood to the inside. There are a number of plastic fasteners that can be quite hard to push out. Just use a bit of force on the outside rim of the vent so that you don't damage the vanes. Replacement is the reverse.

Side "Z06" Vent Panels on Front Fender

The fender vents are held on with three 8 mm nuts that you have to get to from behind.

The drivers side is pretty straight forward. Pull off the lower splash guard. Only one screw underneath. Grab the top edge of it and pull it forward.
Take 3 screws out of the wheel well liner.
Bend back the liner and there is just enough room with nimble fingers and a 8mm ratcheting wrench to break the nuts loose with the wrench and unscrew them with your fingers. Not to much of an issue if you drop one as it simply falls into the bottom and is easy to retrieve.

The passenger side requires partial removal of the fender. Just the back so you don't mess with the front... lights and such. You are only taking enough fender hardware off to be able to pull the fender out and reach in since the dry sump oil tank prohibits access like the drivers side.

Basically you need to remove all fender hardware starting on top under the hood.

Remove the trim piece in the corner of the windshield valance to get to another bolt under it. It simply pulls off.

Pull up on the windshield valance and remove bolt under there.

Remove bolt in door jam at top corner of fender.

If you have the side skirts you need to drill out probably 5 rivets and remove one skirt bolt up front because the skirt goes through the fender. You can't pull the back of the fender out if it's still attached to the skirt.

I think there are 4 more bolts along the bottom holding the fender.

At this point the rear of the fender is free. You might need to slide a screwdriver in the front lower portion of the fender-to-underside to release the drilled out rivet.

I slid some towels between the skirt and the fender so as not to scratch things up when I pulled the fender out just enough to do the job.

Once I got the fender pulled out I could very easily get to the hardware from the wheel well liner.

Last edited by KGrant; 03-25-2018 at 08:49 PM.
Old 03-26-2018, 05:42 PM
Z06Shark
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

subscribed!
Old 06-14-2018, 02:29 PM
cyi1
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 169 Posts
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Didn't need to take off the fender or anything else. Did passenger side same as the drivers side method. Just need patience and thin ratchet / wrenches to fit in the small space.
Attached Images  
The following 2 users liked this post by cyi1:
bradgto (06-14-2018), SteveDoten (02-11-2020)
Old 06-14-2018, 03:19 PM
cyi1
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 169 Posts
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Turns out that this Lego tool is the best for removing the adhesive on the back of the emblem lol
Attached Images  

Last edited by cyi1; 06-14-2018 at 03:19 PM.
Old 07-08-2018, 11:01 AM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,682 Likes on 1,482 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

A great video from RPI explaining how to remove/swap out the textured wheel spats on a Z06 and/or Grand Sport.

Old 08-28-2018, 03:50 AM
robertbruce
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,222 Likes on 1,580 Posts

Originally Posted by hootowlc7
Started this to consolidate how-to's on the trim pieces... vents, spats, grill and so on.
I will be replacing the wheel moldings (spats), hood vent, side "Z06" panels and the rear upper shoulder vents with carbon fiber pieces.
As I get responses, I'll update each one up here in the first post. Hopefully as the weather comes around here this coming few weeks, I'll attempt some of this myself with pictures.
Also, some people from non-Z06 forums might chime in as a few of the things might be done the same and they may have info from the service manual. We can also post links to YouTube or other posts.
Front wheel well spats

From member Elegant:

"The spats come off, starting at the front with an underneath bolt (just like mud guards), then three torque-headed small screws, then, across the top, two sided tape, then two male protrusions (to align it perfectly with the fender, with no snaps or clips there), then one "snap clip" (like the whole car is out together). Tiny bit tricky in the rearmost part (one snap-clip) because the front edge of the skirt is right against it, but can be finessed (no loosening nor adjustment of the skirts needed)."

Hood Vent

Open hood. Remove 2 torque head screws on the inside of the vent and remove large plastic cowling. Hood vent can then be pushed out from the outside of the hood to the inside. There are a number of plastic fasteners that can be quite hard to push out. Just use a bit of force on the outside rim of the vent so that you don't damage the vanes. Replacement is the reverse.

Side "Z06" Vent Panels on Front Fender

The fender vents are held on with three 8 mm nuts that you have to get to from behind.

The drivers side is pretty straight forward. Pull off the lower splash guard. Only one screw underneath. Grab the top edge of it and pull it forward.
Take 3 screws out of the wheel well liner.
Bend back the liner and there is just enough room with nimble fingers and a 8mm ratcheting wrench to break the nuts loose with the wrench and unscrew them with your fingers. Not to much of an issue if you drop one as it simply falls into the bottom and is easy to retrieve.

The passenger side requires partial removal of the fender. Just the back so you don't mess with the front... lights and such. You are only taking enough fender hardware off to be able to pull the fender out and reach in since the dry sump oil tank prohibits access like the drivers side.

Basically you need to remove all fender hardware starting on top under the hood.

Remove the trim piece in the corner of the windshield valance to get to another bolt under it. It simply pulls off.

Pull up on the windshield valance and remove bolt under there.

Remove bolt in door jam at top corner of fender.

If you have the side skirts you need to drill out probably 5 rivets and remove one skirt bolt up front because the skirt goes through the fender. You can't pull the back of the fender out if it's still attached to the skirt.

I think there are 4 more bolts along the bottom holding the fender.

At this point the rear of the fender is free. You might need to slide a screwdriver in the front lower portion of the fender-to-underside to release the drilled out rivet.

I slid some towels between the skirt and the fender so as not to scratch things up when I pulled the fender out just enough to do the job.

Once I got the fender pulled out I could very easily get to the hardware from the wheel well liner.

Rear Upper Shoulder Vents

How To Install an American Car Craft C7 Corvette Rear Quarter Panel Laser Mesh Grille - YouTube
Rear Lower Vents

Grill

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...val-video.html

Tail Light Bezel
C7 Corvette Taillight Stingray Grille Install Video from American Car Craft - YouTube
Do the Carbon Fiber Fender vents sell and contract like the stock plastic ones that come from the factory?
Old 08-28-2018, 08:58 AM
hootowlc7
Burning Brakes

Received 95 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by robertbruce
Do the Carbon Fiber Fender vents sell and contract like the stock plastic ones that come from the factory?
These carbon fiber vents were made by Apsis. They use the factory part and overlay carbon fiber on top. I don't have the edge problem but I have had nothing but issues with the carbon fiber delaminating. Replaced multiple parts multiple times. Stay away from Apsis.
The following 2 users liked this post by hootowlc7:
robertbruce (09-01-2018), Vegas1500 (09-15-2018)
Old 08-28-2018, 11:04 PM
KGrant
Melting Slicks

APR is more expensive carbon fiber but I love their products and have not had any issues! APR is the benchmark in my opinion in carbon fiber parts!

Last edited by KGrant; 07-12-2021 at 08:54 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Vegas1500 (09-15-2018)
Old 08-31-2018, 10:35 PM
robertbruce
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,222 Likes on 1,580 Posts

Nice write up.
Old 05-31-2019, 05:28 PM
Brady McNew
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anyone removed the rear spoiler? I want to install my APR carbon fiber spoiler, but the task looks daunting from what I can tell.... TIA

...Brady
Old 05-31-2019, 08:03 PM
KGrant
Melting Slicks

I installed the APR Carbon Fiber on mine! If you are halfway handy it’s not bad but you do need to drop the rear bumper/diffuser. Go to YouTube and type in “corvette c7 spoiler installation” and you will find videos from people doing the install. Also type in the search box on the forum as you will find many threads showing how to do it.

Originally Posted by Brady McNew
Anyone removed the rear spoiler? I want to install my APR carbon fiber spoiler, but the task looks daunting from what I can tell.... TIA

...Brady
Old 05-31-2019, 08:26 PM
Brady McNew
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KGrant
I installed the APR Carbon Fiber on mine! If you are halfway handy it’s not bad but you do need to drop the rear bumper/diffuser. Go to YouTube and type in “corvette c7 spoiler installation” and you will find videos from people doing the install. Also type in the search box on the forum as you will find many threads showing how to do it.
Thank you. Subsequent to making this post I found some more information in the C7 forum. Doesn't seem as bad as I had previously thought. Thanks again. I'll search YouTube.
Old 06-01-2019, 02:15 PM
hootowlc7
Burning Brakes

Received 95 Likes on 63 Posts

These carbon fiber vents were made by Apsis. They use the factory part and overlay carbon fiber on top. I don't have the edge problem but I have had nothing but issues with the carbon fiber delaminating. Replaced multiple parts multiple times. Stay away from Apsis.
I have Apsis parts on mine. They are all delaminating after a few years
Old 06-01-2019, 05:52 PM
KGrant
Melting Slicks

All of the Carbon Fiber I have are APR which is the market leader in Carbon Fiber. I pay more for their pieces but the quality is second to none and have no delaminating on any of their parts.

I have Apsis parts on mine. They are all delaminating after a few years
Old 01-06-2021, 06:41 AM
Oldvetteman71
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is what I have been looking for. Great helpful pictures. Now I think I may be able to do this on my Stingray
Old 07-12-2021, 05:58 AM
cleif2000
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 26 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Subscribed, Great information for future use.
Old 07-12-2021, 08:49 AM
Hershey71
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I removed the side vents when the PP was put on the front clip. Be prepared to drop the nuts because the key holes might not be large enough to allow the nuts to pass through and it will be necessary to remove the nuts. I did enlarge the holes with a rat tail file before reinstalling them that made the process much easier. I was really tight on the passenger side with the oil sump and you'll need to use your finger tips to remove the nuts.

Before you start, you should hang by your finger tips to stretch your fingers out. Long skinny fingers would really make this job easier

Quick Reply: Removing body parts thread.....