Notices
C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing body parts thread.....

Old 03-25-2018, 09:49 PM
KGrant
CF Senior Member

I am just adding an update based on just completing this on my C7 Z51 with Dry Sump Tank.

It's a pain in the butt because the Sump Tank is backed in there tight on the passenger side and difficult to get to the 3rd bottom screw to remove the vent.

I finally got the last screw removed but I had to remove my side skirt, remove the fender screws underneath the body, remove the Sump tank Bolt at the top and move bolt from Sump Tank at bottom behind the wheel liner.

Do all of this and it allows you to pull the fender out and get your hand behind there but it is still tough or tight but I finally got the last screw.

[QUOTE=hootowlc7;1589131870]Started this to consolidate how-to's on the trim pieces... vents, spats, grill and so on.
I will be replacing the wheel moldings (spats), hood vent, side "Z06" panels and the rear upper shoulder vents with carbon fiber pieces.
As I get responses, I'll update each one up here in the first post. Hopefully as the weather comes around here this coming few weeks, I'll attempt some of this myself with pictures.
Also, some people from non-Z06 forums might chime in as a few of the things might be done the same and they may have info from the service manual. We can also post links to YouTube or other posts.

Front wheel well spats

From member Elegant:

"The spats come off, starting at the front with an underneath bolt (just like mud guards), then three torque-headed small screws, then, across the top, two sided tape, then two male protrusions (to align it perfectly with the fender, with no snaps or clips there), then one "snap clip" (like the whole car is out together). Tiny bit tricky in the rearmost part (one snap-clip) because the front edge of the skirt is right against it, but can be finessed (no loosening nor adjustment of the skirts needed)."

Hood Vent

Open hood. Remove 2 torque head screws on the inside of the vent and remove large plastic cowling. Hood vent can then be pushed out from the outside of the hood to the inside. There are a number of plastic fasteners that can be quite hard to push out. Just use a bit of force on the outside rim of the vent so that you don't damage the vanes. Replacement is the reverse.

Side "Z06" Vent Panels on Front Fender

The fender vents are held on with three 8 mm nuts that you have to get to from behind.

The drivers side is pretty straight forward. Pull off the lower splash guard. Only one screw underneath. Grab the top edge of it and pull it forward.
Take 3 screws out of the wheel well liner.
Bend back the liner and there is just enough room with nimble fingers and a 8mm ratcheting wrench to break the nuts loose with the wrench and unscrew them with your fingers. Not to much of an issue if you drop one as it simply falls into the bottom and is easy to retrieve.

The passenger side requires partial removal of the fender. Just the back so you don't mess with the front... lights and such. You are only taking enough fender hardware off to be able to pull the fender out and reach in since the dry sump oil tank prohibits access like the drivers side.

Basically you need to remove all fender hardware starting on top under the hood.

Remove the trim piece in the corner of the windshield valance to get to another bolt under it. It simply pulls off.

Pull up on the windshield valance and remove bolt under there.

Remove bolt in door jam at top corner of fender.

If you have the side skirts you need to drill out probably 5 rivets and remove one skirt bolt up front because the skirt goes through the fender. You can't pull the back of the fender out if it's still attached to the skirt.

I think there are 4 more bolts along the bottom holding the fender.

At this point the rear of the fender is free. You might need to slide a screwdriver in the front lower portion of the fender-to-underside to release the drilled out rivet.

I slid some towels between the skirt and the fender so as not to scratch things up when I pulled the fender out just enough to do the job.

Once I got the fender pulled out I could very easily get to the hardware from the wheel well liner.

Last edited by KGrant; 03-25-2018 at 09:49 PM.
Old 03-26-2018, 06:42 PM
Z06Shark
CF Senior Member

subscribed!
Old 06-14-2018, 03:29 PM
cyi1
CF Senior Member

2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Didn't need to take off the fender or anything else. Did passenger side same as the drivers side method. Just need patience and thin ratchet / wrenches to fit in the small space.
Attached Images  
The Following User Says Thank You to cyi1 For This Useful Post:
bradgto (06-14-2018)
Old 06-14-2018, 04:19 PM
cyi1
CF Senior Member

2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Turns out that this Lego tool is the best for removing the adhesive on the back of the emblem lol
Attached Images  

Last edited by cyi1; 06-14-2018 at 04:19 PM.
Old 07-08-2018, 12:01 PM
MSG C5
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

2018 C5 of Year Finalist

A great video from RPI explaining how to remove/swap out the textured wheel spats on a Z06 and/or Grand Sport.

Old 08-28-2018, 04:50 AM
robertbruce
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanked 1,161 Times in 801 Posts

Originally Posted by hootowlc7 View Post
Started this to consolidate how-to's on the trim pieces... vents, spats, grill and so on.
I will be replacing the wheel moldings (spats), hood vent, side "Z06" panels and the rear upper shoulder vents with carbon fiber pieces.
As I get responses, I'll update each one up here in the first post. Hopefully as the weather comes around here this coming few weeks, I'll attempt some of this myself with pictures.
Also, some people from non-Z06 forums might chime in as a few of the things might be done the same and they may have info from the service manual. We can also post links to YouTube or other posts.
Front wheel well spats

From member Elegant:

"The spats come off, starting at the front with an underneath bolt (just like mud guards), then three torque-headed small screws, then, across the top, two sided tape, then two male protrusions (to align it perfectly with the fender, with no snaps or clips there), then one "snap clip" (like the whole car is out together). Tiny bit tricky in the rearmost part (one snap-clip) because the front edge of the skirt is right against it, but can be finessed (no loosening nor adjustment of the skirts needed)."

Hood Vent

Open hood. Remove 2 torque head screws on the inside of the vent and remove large plastic cowling. Hood vent can then be pushed out from the outside of the hood to the inside. There are a number of plastic fasteners that can be quite hard to push out. Just use a bit of force on the outside rim of the vent so that you don't damage the vanes. Replacement is the reverse.

Side "Z06" Vent Panels on Front Fender

The fender vents are held on with three 8 mm nuts that you have to get to from behind.

The drivers side is pretty straight forward. Pull off the lower splash guard. Only one screw underneath. Grab the top edge of it and pull it forward.
Take 3 screws out of the wheel well liner.
Bend back the liner and there is just enough room with nimble fingers and a 8mm ratcheting wrench to break the nuts loose with the wrench and unscrew them with your fingers. Not to much of an issue if you drop one as it simply falls into the bottom and is easy to retrieve.

The passenger side requires partial removal of the fender. Just the back so you don't mess with the front... lights and such. You are only taking enough fender hardware off to be able to pull the fender out and reach in since the dry sump oil tank prohibits access like the drivers side.

Basically you need to remove all fender hardware starting on top under the hood.

Remove the trim piece in the corner of the windshield valance to get to another bolt under it. It simply pulls off.

Pull up on the windshield valance and remove bolt under there.

Remove bolt in door jam at top corner of fender.

If you have the side skirts you need to drill out probably 5 rivets and remove one skirt bolt up front because the skirt goes through the fender. You can't pull the back of the fender out if it's still attached to the skirt.

I think there are 4 more bolts along the bottom holding the fender.

At this point the rear of the fender is free. You might need to slide a screwdriver in the front lower portion of the fender-to-underside to release the drilled out rivet.

I slid some towels between the skirt and the fender so as not to scratch things up when I pulled the fender out just enough to do the job.

Once I got the fender pulled out I could very easily get to the hardware from the wheel well liner.

Rear Upper Shoulder Vents

How To Install an American Car Craft C7 Corvette Rear Quarter Panel Laser Mesh Grille - YouTube
Rear Lower Vents

Grill

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...val-video.html

Tail Light Bezel
C7 Corvette Taillight Stingray Grille Install Video from American Car Craft - YouTube
Do the Carbon Fiber Fender vents sell and contract like the stock plastic ones that come from the factory?
Old 08-28-2018, 09:58 AM
hootowlc7
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by robertbruce View Post
Do the Carbon Fiber Fender vents sell and contract like the stock plastic ones that come from the factory?
These carbon fiber vents were made by Apsis. They use the factory part and overlay carbon fiber on top. I don't have the edge problem but I have had nothing but issues with the carbon fiber delaminating. Replaced multiple parts multiple times. Stay away from Apsis.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hootowlc7 For This Useful Post:
robertbruce (09-01-2018), Vegas1500 (09-15-2018)
Old 08-29-2018, 12:04 AM
KGrant
CF Senior Member

APR is more expensive carbon fiber but I love there product and have not had any issues! APR is the benchmark in my opinion in carbon fiber parts!
The Following User Says Thank You to KGrant For This Useful Post:
Vegas1500 (09-15-2018)
Old 08-31-2018, 11:35 PM
robertbruce
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanked 1,161 Times in 801 Posts

Nice write up.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Removing body parts thread.....

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: