C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

aFe POWER Z06 Momentum Air Intake Kit - Official Release!

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2015, 05:39 PM
0aFe POWER
Former Vendor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default aFe POWER Z06 Momentum Air Intake Kit - Official Release!

aFe POWER (advanced FLOW engineering) is happy to announce the official release of the aFe POWER Momentum Intake System for the C7 Corvette Z06. The non-supercharged C7 owners have had great results with our Momentum kit, and soon (April) we will begin shipping aFe's Z06 version.

Like the original C7 kit, it will be available in either a high performance oiled Pro 5R filter media, or an "oil-free" Pro DRY S filter media, with larger differences in power in regards to air flow compared to the non-supercharged Momentum kit.

The aFe Momentum Z06 Intake System outflows the factory Z06 intake by 25%, and dyno results have resulted in an increase of 46HP and 39 lbs. x ft of torque with the Pro 5R filter media after putting some miles on the car. Our test car put out 601.7HP and 604.0lbs. x ft of torque on 91 octane with just the intake on stock tuning on our in-house DynoJet.

Quick Data Points:

- Improved Horsepower & Torque - Improved Throttle Response
- Sealed Intake Design - Roto-Molded Tube w/Premium Hardware
- Massive Cone Air Filter w/7" Oval Flange and 9-1/2" Tall
- One-Piece Sealed Housing w/Clear Sight Window
- Direct Bolt-On - No Cutting or Drilling - 30 Minute Install
- No Tuning Needed
- $714.00 MSRP - Available Direct for $627.00 - If multiple people are interested, we can create a special package for CorvetteForum.com members.

I will include some information from our initial C7 release for those interested in our design and engineering process at aFe POWER.

Development Information:

A little about our Intake development process, for those not familiar with aFe POWER. All design and engineering comes from our 160,000 sq. ft. facilities in Southern California. We utilize the latest in technology, from 3D scanning, latest CAD design software, 3D printing, AWD Dynojet dyno, and with the C7 Corvette, utilizing CAD information directly from GM to assist in the design and prototyping of this intake system.

Design starts with CAD information on the Corvette, analyzing the stock intake tract, and designing a new intake system that outflows the stock setup. Once the initial design has been completed, we are able to "print" plastic prototype parts with our 3D printers, and construct the complete prototype and install on the vehicle. From here we are able to test the vehicle on the dyno, through rigorous testing, monitoring performance and ECU parameters in real-time, and can tweak and make any changes that are necessary.

As many are aware the MAF sensor information plays a strong role with the Corvette, and managing the diameter at the MAF in the intake tube is critical. Care was taken during development to test different designs, all while monitoring both short term and long term fuel trims, until our engineers dialed everything in, requiring no tuning necessary for this application.

Once the R&D was complete, we move to manufacturing of the intake itself, creating the intake molds from CNC machines, and production begins. Premium hardware is used on the kit, including stainless steel T-bolt clamps and a reinforced silicone hump coupler for strength and durability. Momentum intakes are designed with fewer parts, which allows this intake to be installed in 30 minutes for most. Care is taken for the best design possible, including little things like billet aluminum fittings mounted on the tube to ensure a perfect connection with the factory vacuum lines.

Installation of the housing mounts the kit directly into the factory location on the fender well, ensuring the coolest air possible is being captured from the factory intake tract. A large clear sight window is built into the housing for easy filter inspection without removal of the air box. The largest filter possible was used and is available in two different filter media options: Pro 5R is an oiled filter media for maximum airflow, while the Pro DRY S "oil-less" filter media provides maximum filtration.

The C7 Corvette has a dynamic ECU that in our testing with the intake does not always show huge number gains right from installation, as the ECU will continue to adjust with miles on the vehicle, and take advantage of the additional airflow. We saw maximum results after about 200 miles of driving after intake installation and dynos. This is normal and a byproduct of how the ECU works.

Part Number Information:

aFe POWER Momentum 2015 Chevrolet C7 Z06 Corvette Intake System
aFe Momentum Intake Kit

Dyno Sheets

52-74202 aFe Momentum Z06 Intake w/Oiled Pro 5R Filter (91 Octane)

52-74202 aFe Momentum Z06 Intake w/Oil-Free Pro DRY S Filter (91 Octane)

Additional Photos

Intake Flow vs. Stock Intake

Quick Teaser Video

Installation Video

Last edited by aFe POWER; 06-09-2015 at 12:28 PM.
Old 03-11-2015, 05:56 PM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Quite impressive results, and please help me understand, and quoting from two different places in your above presentation:

1)Our test car put out 601.7HP and 604.0lbs. x ft of torque with just the intake on stock tuning on our in-house DynoJet.
2)Care was taken during development to test different designs, all while monitoring both short term and long term fuel trims, until our engineers dialed everything in, requiring no tuning necessary for this application.

Are your results please, solely as a result of a "100% factory tune," OR did you take the car and then subject to tuning via as part of your DynoJet testing?

Thank you.
Old 03-11-2015, 05:59 PM
0aFe POWER
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by elegant
Quite impressive results, and please help me understand, and quoting from two different places in your above presentation:

1)Our test car put out 601.7HP and 604.0lbs. x ft of torque with just the intake on stock tuning on our in-house DynoJet.
2)Care was taken during development to test different designs, all while monitoring both short term and long term fuel trims, until our engineers dialed everything in, requiring no tuning necessary for this application.

Are your results please, solely as a result of a "100% factory tune," OR did you take the car and then subject to tuning via as part of your DynoJet testing?

Thank you.
Sorry that wasn't clear - No altered tuning was used in any way. Bolt-on from stock.
Old 03-11-2015, 06:04 PM
JackTripper
Turn 12!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 498 Likes on 217 Posts

I know that there're your competitors, but can you please explain the difference between your set-up and HallTechs?

I am interested in installing one that required no turning so that I can keep my warranty.
Old 03-11-2015, 06:07 PM
time2run
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

So no tuning required for the dry or oiled filter?

Regardless, I'm interested in the group buy. Did this with the 2014 Z51 and loved the difference.
Old 03-11-2015, 06:10 PM
0aFe POWER
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by JackTripper
I know that there're your competitors, but can you please explain the difference between your set-up and HallTechs?

I am interested in installing one that required no turning so that I can keep my warranty.
We can appreciate the desire to simply upgrade without tuning, which is our basis for development on the kit. It's really not our place to comment on another manufacturer, no information was used or researched from other products, our strength is filtration and intake systems, this development is core to us.

Originally Posted by time2run
So no tuning required for the dry or oiled filter?

Regardless, I'm interested in the group buy. Did this with the 2014 Z51 and loved the difference.
No tuning is required for either setup, but with the supercharged engine, the flow from the filters had a bigger impact on performance than the base C7. Those looking for maximum power will need the flow of the Pro 5R oiled media.

We expect even more to be possible with tuning and additional modifications, just like the existing C7 kit, this is allowing the engine to have a lot more additional air available.
Old 03-11-2015, 06:19 PM
time2run
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

OK. So do I order online or wait until a group buy is put together?

Tuning is definitely in the car's future.
Old 03-11-2015, 06:22 PM
0aFe POWER
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by time2run
OK. So do I order online or wait until a group buy is put together?

Tuning is definitely in the car's future.
If the initial interest is there upon launch, I can look into a group buy. We definitely want to get kits into the hands of Z06 owners to help launch.
Old 03-11-2015, 06:32 PM
One Curve at a time
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sub
Old 03-11-2015, 06:43 PM
DRLC5
Le Mans Master

Received 340 Likes on 226 Posts

How is the fit and finish? any videos of installation? any special cutting or ??
Old 03-11-2015, 06:49 PM
0aFe POWER
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by DRLC5
How is the fit and finish? any videos of installation? any special cutting or ??
Absolutely no cutting or modifications to install. One of the beauties of the Momentum intake is having such few parts, making the installation very easy.

We will definitely be putting together an installation video specific to the Z06, in the mean time you can see what install is like on a non-supercharged C7.

Old 03-11-2015, 07:24 PM
RedZ063lz
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you have color matching filters? For instance my vette is torch red, would the filter match?
Old 03-11-2015, 08:01 PM
285ferrari
Instructor

I would def. be interested in a group buy---Can you explain the difference in the oiled filter versus the non-oiled filter. Pros/Cons from one to the other? Does one just flow better?
Old 03-11-2015, 09:10 PM
lawdogg149
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 61 Likes on 37 Posts

Interested in group buy
Old 03-11-2015, 09:24 PM
BigNastyZO7
Burning Brakes

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts

Interested In Group buy
Old 03-11-2015, 09:30 PM
JackTripper
Turn 12!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 498 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by lawdogg149
Interested in group buy
Me too
Old 03-11-2015, 09:36 PM
kutlow
Drifting

Received 208 Likes on 135 Posts

I would want someone to compare the Halltech against this one before I bought.

Get notified of new replies

To aFe POWER Z06 Momentum Air Intake Kit - Official Release!

Old 03-11-2015, 09:41 PM
Just 4 2
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Interested in group buy, what about carbon fiber option on hardware?
Old 03-11-2015, 10:03 PM
Shark grey
Intermediate

Count me in on the group buy
Old 03-11-2015, 10:28 PM
webcarconnection
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 285ferrari
I would def. be interested in a group buy---Can you explain the difference in the oiled filter versus the non-oiled filter. Pros/Cons from one to the other? Does one just flow better?
This!

Quick Reply: aFe POWER Z06 Momentum Air Intake Kit - Official Release!