C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

A8 vs M7, the truth!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 11:25 AM
webcarconnection
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default A8 vs M7, the truth!!!

The main difference between the two is the shifting time between gears, been the A8 the fastest... But is not the driver of the M7 fault, is the ECU that have a "safety issue" if you want it to call it something that always close the TB between shift no matter how fast you power shift your M7.

Everybody knows there is people that can drive this beast, but this "issue" it's there limitation. This info came from on good friend that is very respectable GM Tech.

Either way I don't change my M7 for A8, for me the Manual Tranny is a blast to drive

Just want to share... Oh and sorry if this topic is repost
Old 03-31-2015, 11:58 AM
alienranch
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 112 Likes on 69 Posts

I think I understand the gist of what you're saying. The M7 is not advertised as quick as the A8 simply due to a human involved with rowing the gears. Simply put, the computer can change gears faster than a human at this point, and the technology has increased enough to offset the negatives of the increased weight and drive train losses.

Unless you're looking to shave milliseconds, go with the one that suits your fancy. Can't go wrong with either one if you're sitting in a Z.
The following 2 users liked this post by alienranch:
Richmond427 (01-06-2024), salsno (04-13-2023)
Old 03-31-2015, 12:05 PM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Received 179 Likes on 112 Posts

Manual faster on Road Course. Win.....
Old 03-31-2015, 12:12 PM
ChevyChad
Melting Slicks

Received 1,311 Likes on 538 Posts

I think he is trying to say that the M7 closes the throttle body between shifts even if you don't let off of the accelerator, and that is what causes the delay for the M7 vs the A8.
Old 03-31-2015, 12:25 PM
0NORCAL-SS
Former Vendor

Received 328 Likes on 232 Posts

Auto from a roll pulls on 7 speed easy. Had some roll racing over weekend and no matter what mph 20 50 70 rolls the 7 speed just fell behind
Old 03-31-2015, 12:37 PM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,132 Likes on 733 Posts

Originally Posted by ChevyChad
I think he is trying to say that the M7 closes the throttle body between shifts even if you don't let off of the accelerator, and that is what causes the delay for the M7 vs the A8.
Due rev matching programming for the M7??
Old 03-31-2015, 12:41 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

On average, the automatic equipped car will always beat the manual car (all else (power, race weight, options etc.) being equal) in the 1/4 mile.
On average (ie: average drivers) that is.
A great (not good, but GREAT) manual driver will typically put down a quicker and faster time than any automatic (this was true in the stock C5 LS1s and the C6 LS3s as well) though.
But with the C7s I don't know, it does seem that the torque management ("nanny") intrusions are much worse this time around in both the C7 LT1 and C7 Z06 LT4 cars leaving the automatics to still return better drag strip times.
Once modified and the tuning/programming software gets even better though the manuals WILL shine, I'm guessing.
Old 03-31-2015, 01:28 PM
04_Z06_CE
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
On average, the automatic equipped car will always beat the manual car (all else (power, race weight, options etc.) being equal) in the 1/4 mile.
A great (not good, but GREAT) manual driver will typically put down a quicker and faster time than any automatic (this was true in the stock C5 LS1s and the C6 LS3s as well) though.
But with the C7s I don't know, it does seem that the torque management ("nanny") intrusions are much worse this time around in both the C7 LT1 and C7 Z06 LT4 cars leaving the automatics to still return better drag strip times.
Once modified and the tuning/programming software gets even better though the manuals WILL shine, I'm guessing.
You're guessing wrong.
Nothing will beat the shifts of a fast shifting auto.
Old 03-31-2015, 01:40 PM
Znod
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 04_Z06_CE
You're guessing wrong.
Nothing will beat the shifts of a fast shifting auto.
Yes
Old 03-31-2015, 02:11 PM
Pat Salerno
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by webcarconnection
The main difference between the two is the shifting time between gears, been the A8 the fastest... But is not the driver of the M7 fault, is the ECU that have a "safety issue" if you want it to call it something that always close the TB between shift no matter how fast you power shift your M7.

Everybody knows there is people that can drive this beast, but this "issue" it's there limitation. This info came from on good friend that is very respectable GM Tech.

Either way I don't change my M7 for A8, for me the Manual Tranny is a blast to drive

The C7 has a no lift shift option. Floor the accelerator and do not lift and no TB close occurs. The revs
go to red line and hold. No over rev. Try it you will love it......but hang on.
Old 03-31-2015, 02:19 PM
tail_lights
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by NORCALSS
Auto from a roll pulls on 7 speed easy. Had some roll racing over weekend and no matter what mph 20 50 70 rolls the 7 speed just fell behind
Old 03-31-2015, 02:22 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Received 551 Likes on 311 Posts

The truth is the auto cars still overheat faster and they are still heavier. It's not a good choice for guys that do HPDEs. Then again most guys that do HPDEs enjoy controlling a car, so many of them are manual anyway. Certainly there is an appeal to no clutch fast shifting transmissions, and that is winning. But no one is really winning anything at an HPDE, although I'm sure many feel as if they do.
Old 03-31-2015, 02:38 PM
BobSWFL
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SBC_and_a_stick
The truth is the auto cars still overheat faster and they are still heavier. It's not a good choice for guys that do HPDEs. Then again most guys that do HPDEs enjoy controlling a car, so many of them are manual anyway. Certainly there is an appeal to no clutch fast shifting transmissions, and that is winning. But no one is really winning anything at an HPDE, although I'm sure many feel as if they do.
2 things:

1. At a club racing weekend I noticed some of the racers were angry and upset most of the time. I tried telling them "remember, this is a hobby and we are doing this for fun." Wow, that made them much more angry. Ha.

2. Comparing the M7 to A8, yes the A8 shifts faster, but the gear ratios are different. The gap between 4-5 is huge in the A8 compared to the M7. This might explain some of the .7 second lap time difference between the two in the Motor Trend re-test with Pobst.

The A8 gear ratios seem to be optimized for 0-60 times and for EPA fuel mileage tests. This definitely dings the performance of the A8 on a road course. If the A8 had consistent, close ratio spreads between gears it might be the best trans ever, but that is not quite what we got.

I have an A8 (arrived 3 days ago) and I love it.
The following users liked this post:
Blk07Z06 (01-05-2024)
Old 03-31-2015, 02:45 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Originally Posted by BobSWFL
2 things:

1. At a club racing weekend I noticed some of the racers were angry and upset most of the time. I tried telling them "remember, this is a hobby and we are doing this for fun." Wow, that made them much more angry. Ha.

2. Comparing the M7 to A8, yes the A8 shifts faster, but the gear ratios are different. The gap between 4-5 is huge in the A8 compared to the M7. This might explain some of the .7 second lap time difference between the two in the Motor Trend re-test with Pobst.

The A8 gear ratios seem to be optimized for 0-60 times and for EPA fuel mileage tests. This definitely dings the performance of the A8 on a road course. If the A8 had consistent, close ratio spreads between gears it might be the best trans ever, but that is not quite what we got.

I have an A8 (arrived 3 days ago) and I love it.
Don't worry, the M7 is plenty compromised for the EPA too. That 7th gear squeezes the gates together. It's not very fast missing gears and going from 2 to 5.
Old 03-31-2015, 02:57 PM
lawdogg149
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 61 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by SBC_and_a_stick
Don't worry, the M7 is plenty compromised for the EPA too. That 7th gear squeezes the gates together. It's not very fast missing gears and going from 2 to 5.
Ah you have done that one too. Just dont do like me and down shift from 5th to 2nd. That was scary. (remember that heavychevy)

M7 cars will rule the road courses while the A8's sit letting there's cool off. While we M7 guys will get spanked at the drag strip.
Old 03-31-2015, 03:00 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Originally Posted by lawdogg149
Ah you have done that one too. Just dont do like me and down shift from 5th to 2nd. That was scary. (remember that heavychevy)

M7 cars will rule the road courses while the A8's sit letting there's cool off. While we M7 guys will get spanked at the drag strip.
I think the only reason that won't happen to me is that my nearby tracks don't need me to go any faster than 140 mph. I won't be using that 5th gear.

I prefer 2 to 5 rather than 2 to 1.
Old 03-31-2015, 03:01 PM
OBSSSD
Drifting

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by webcarconnection

Actually it is the driver of the car
The following users liked this post:
CRS1962 (01-05-2024)

Get notified of new replies

To A8 vs M7, the truth!!!

Old 03-31-2015, 04:07 PM
webcarconnection
Drifting

Originally Posted by ChevyChad
Yep!!!
Old 03-31-2015, 04:09 PM
webcarconnection
Drifting

Originally Posted by LS1LT1

Old 03-31-2015, 04:14 PM
webcarconnection
Drifting

Originally Posted by Pat Salerno
The C7 has a no lift shift option. Floor the accelerator and do not lift and no TB close occurs. The revs
go to red line and hold. No over rev. Try it you will love it......but hang on.
I try several times and the car always put the nose down (hesitate) a little bit, not like the C6 Z06 that I have...

Quick Reply: A8 vs M7, the truth!!!