C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Hearbroken!

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2015, 08:40 AM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by prinzSD455
I can't believe that GM is letting cars like this get through the system!

And to think that GM MIGHT BE SELLING a $150,000 mid engine Corvette in 2017 is pure folly if they can't get the small details right. Customers at that price point expect much better. Come on GM get your act together.

Find a different Z06. I would not take that car home. Unbelievable!
Believe it. Until customers start refusing delivery of their cars the factory will keep shipping questionable cars. I think this should be an "Ask Tadge" question. Why does the factory send out cars with bad quality control ?
Old 04-29-2015, 09:02 AM
bluestreak63
Safety Car

Received 287 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by b4i4getit
Believe it. Until customers start refusing delivery of their cars the factory will keep shipping questionable cars. I think this should be an "Ask Tadge" question. Why does the factory send out cars with bad quality control ?
It's not that it's bad quality control, it's a mass produced vehicle which has acceptable limits on passing QC. Couple that with the fact that it's such a hot item right now, so it's all GM can do to crank these out. And while they have their acceptable limits on the QC, they are still QC'd by humans.

The OP has some decisions to make, but if a little orange peel and some extra seat material (which by the way, is the supplier, not GM) are the only issues with it, get them corrected and move on, or deny delivery and find another one or another manufacturer.
Old 04-29-2015, 09:22 AM
flynbya2
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

Originally Posted by pauldd
Me too that is my biggest worry. What happens if I get the car wet sanded and something happens to the basecoat or thins the already thin clear coat so I get less paint protection? Once I drive the car off the lot , I own it and have less recourse if the detailing/sanding . goes badly.
After hearing about this orange-peel issue for so many years I have thought about a potential solution, but yes it would involve more $$. I am not a painter so a professional may correct my thinking here. But, if color sanding and a thin clear coat could cause issues down the road, could not a person take the car to a paint shop just off the showroom floor and have it lightly scuffed and clear coated again to allow for more room for the wetsand process? If so, I don't think it would be all that expensive to do compared to a repaint, just a scuff, mask and shoot?(partial disassembly in some areas). I am not arguing whether or not one should have to do this on a new car, just a solution for those willing to perfect an otherwise very nice car? Any pros willing to comment on this?

OP,sorry about this, I would refuse it and shop for one to your liking.
Old 04-29-2015, 09:29 AM
pauldd
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GP1224
BullSH!T my buddy has a 991 and a Macan BOTH with a ton of orange peel. I know a few M4 and M5 owners and all have orange peel. This whole its a Porsche so it doesnt happen is a pile of horse ****. Just look at every GT3 has had its engine replaced as well or all the DI engines with carbon issues.
Well decided to send car back to selling dealer for full refund. Why would I buy an expensive car that depreciates the minute I get off the lot and then spend money trying to fix a bad car? Thanks for your advice. Will invest the cash so maybe can switch z07 to Callaway with brownstone interior for no more cash input.
Old 04-29-2015, 09:50 AM
Glenn Quagmire
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 604 Likes on 283 Posts

Well decided to send car back to selling dealer for full refund. Why would I buy an expensive car that depreciates the minute I get off the lot and then spend money trying to fix a bad car? Thanks for your advice. Will invest the cash so maybe can switch z07 to Callaway with brownstone interior for no more cash input.
That's exactly what I would've done. Because, I wouldn't be a proponent of paint correction. Ironically, I prefer a bit of OP over perfectly flat. It hides more of the imperfections attained through daily driving.
Old 04-29-2015, 09:52 AM
bluestreak63
Safety Car

Received 287 Likes on 173 Posts

Good luck...

But just so you know I don't think Callaway touches the paint job, so you have a good chance on orange peel again and this time, you will have already bought it if you send it to Callaway.
Old 04-29-2015, 10:03 AM
09Z06pj
Le Mans Master

Received 1,102 Likes on 753 Posts

Originally Posted by MaynardZed
You have to have realistic expectations though. The fit and finish on the Z is not going to be as good as a Porsche. Doesn't mean it's a bad car.
My realistic expectation would be that the fit and finish on a new Z would far exceed that of a Volt and Camaro sitting next to it in the showroom, not the other way around.
Old 04-29-2015, 10:07 AM
rwheelz
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

I really need to stop reading these threads! I feel like I should hire a team of experts to inspect my car when it finally shows up!
Old 04-29-2015, 10:30 AM
SPEEDGT
Intermediate

good for you, no complaints on my z07 SG, however if more customers refused their unacceptable cars due to obvious flaws GM would definitely wake up, take their head out of the sand and correct the problem, just ask any business person and see what they would do if their product had a defect and were returned (fix it or see sales drop off)
Old 04-29-2015, 11:40 AM
jsmbluecar
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by rwheelz
I really need to stop reading these threads! I feel like I should hire a team of experts to inspect my car when it finally shows up!
Or maybe just realize some peoples expectations aren't realistic. The fact is that the vast majority of customers don't know or care about orange peel. Part of the reason the cars are cheap is they are mass produced.

Personally I think my car looks great.
Old 04-29-2015, 01:29 PM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by bluestreak63
It's not that it's bad quality control, it's a mass produced vehicle which has acceptable limits on passing QC. Couple that with the fact that it's such a hot item right now, so it's all GM can do to crank these out. And while they have their acceptable limits on the QC, they are still QC'd by humans.

The OP has some decisions to make, but if a little orange peel and some extra seat material (which by the way, is the supplier, not GM) are the only issues with it, get them corrected and move on, or deny delivery and find another one or another manufacturer.
I see what you are saying. But maybe they need to realize that their most expensive Chevy should have the same acceptance limits as their Chevy Cruze. The hit or miss paint jobs really should not be happening at this price range.

Last edited by b4i4getit; 04-29-2015 at 07:03 PM.
Old 04-29-2015, 03:20 PM
FirehawkTA
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by SPEEDGT
good for you, no complaints on my z07 SG, however if more customers refused their unacceptable cars due to obvious flaws GM would definitely wake up, take their head out of the sand and correct the problem, just ask any business person and see what they would do if their product had a defect and were returned (fix it or see sales drop off)
Do we know that Chevy will even know? Chevy might be notified, or maybe the dealer will just sell it to someone else.
Old 04-29-2015, 03:58 PM
kennb44
Instructor

Received 88 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by charliek
Be very careful wet sanding and buffing. The clear on factory paint is not very thick and is easily burned through.
Not if done professionally. Speaking as a bodyshop owner in the business for over 30 yrs . It can be done (obviously with care ).Just need to do your research for someone good in your area.
Old 04-29-2015, 05:32 PM
thebishman
Melting Slicks

Received 739 Likes on 485 Posts

I don't understand what the factory is doing. My SG paint is da,n near perfect and every panel had excellent fitment. How could they allow the OP's car to leave in such a state?

Even my Comp seats have a decent fit re: the leather; a little 'loose' perhaps but not bad at all.

Bish
Old 04-29-2015, 06:42 PM
DALE#3
Le Mans Master

Received 3,135 Likes on 1,831 Posts

Buyers keep accepting ORANGES for a finish....GM won't fix what sells...WAKE-UP it's business
Old 04-29-2015, 06:50 PM
blown383c4conv
Racer

Sorry to hear that. My paint and comp seats are perfect. I wouldn't want a color sanded new car, paint is too thin and you can burn through the edges super easy. I would grab a different Z.
Old 04-29-2015, 06:54 PM
RandomTask
Race Director

Received 277 Likes on 145 Posts

Since this whole "oh noes! orange peel!" fiasco started, I began to pay attention to other manufacturers. Even F cars suffer the same level as my Z. The reason that your volt or camaro have better finishes is due to their panels; they're stamped steel. The vette has different materials of surfaces including CF. That and their panels actually have complex profiles and arent rounded off bricks. If you want that perfect paint from the factory, then are you willing to drop more coin? If you're willing to drop more coin, then why not take it to the after market?

In regards to OP, I urge you to check out some F cars and compare. Your seat situation however, is unacceptable.

Get notified of new replies

To Hearbroken!

Old 04-29-2015, 09:43 PM
lgodom
Drifting

Received 286 Likes on 208 Posts

Glad to hear you were able to walk away rather than accepting a new car with a subpar paint job. This is my biggest fear about ordering one especially in black. You should be able to get into a new car and enjoy it without worrying about spending money or time money correcting problems. I was looking for orange peel problems in the C7s in March when I toured the factory. The one black C7 I saw actually looked surprisingly good even in fluorescent lighting, so it is possible to get a good paint job.
Old 04-30-2015, 06:41 AM
GP1224
Burning Brakes

Received 63 Likes on 41 Posts

Well if the dealer made it easy to take back then thats even better. Just dont get too discouraged being anyone you talk with that does paint correction will tell you that the likes of Mercedes, Porsche ect can show up with orange peel as well. Plus interior issues happens also. I think actually seeing a Z06 that meets your needs option wise is the better way to go. Always nice to see the car before you buy it.
Old 04-30-2015, 07:44 AM
zo6 08
Drifting

Received 212 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by charliek
Be very careful wet sanding and buffing. The clear on factory paint is not very thick and is easily burned through.

Quick Reply: Hearbroken!