C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Breaking in the Engine

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2015, 11:33 AM
RBK
Melting Slicks

Received 890 Likes on 409 Posts

Default Breaking in the Engine

I have kept the car in manual (it is a A8) in order to truly explore the motor, while breaking it in. I find relying on the A8 does not give me the flexibility I seek. I do have a question. What has been the experience of others during break in and do you advocate relying on the Automatic or Manual. As an aside, compared to my F 458 and P Turbo S, the "paddles" required a "hard" press and seem much slower. Best
Old 05-07-2015, 12:30 PM
thebishman
Melting Slicks

Received 739 Likes on 484 Posts

Originally Posted by RBK
I have kept the car in manual (it is a A8) in order to truly explore the motor, while breaking it in. I find relying on the A8 does not give me the flexibility I seek. I do have a question. What has been the experience of others during break in and do you advocate relying on the Automatic or Manual. As an aside, compared to my F 458 and P Turbo S, the "paddles" required a "hard" press and seem much slower. Best
I relied on 'D' mode until warmed up, then I would manually shift into the higher gears, (up to 4500 rpm) at times until I reached the required 500 miles.
Old 05-07-2015, 12:53 PM
Varmit
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Broke mine in doing Hot Laps at Bristol Motor Speedway
Started here:

Two days later here:

Last edited by Varmit; 05-07-2015 at 12:57 PM.
Old 05-07-2015, 01:12 PM
RBK
Melting Slicks

Your post reminds me of something often said on the Ferrari Forum about people saving their cars , i.e. low miles to get a good sales price, being analogous to saving your girlfriend for the next guy.
The issue here is, is it necessary to "break in" a motor and if so, what is the "best way to do it"? You clearly do no (a) believe break in is necessary and/or (b) don't care if your motor has a short life or the next guy is stuck with the early abuse catching up with him. In any event, it is your car and you have every right to enjoy it any way you wish. Best

Originally Posted by Varmit
Broke mine in doing Hot Laps at Bristol Motor Speedway
Started here:

Two days later here:
Old 05-07-2015, 01:34 PM
Varmit
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by RBK
Your post reminds me of something often said on the Ferrari Forum about people saving their cars , i.e. low miles to get a good sales price, being analogous to saving your girlfriend for the next guy.
The issue here is, is it necessary to "break in" a motor and if so, what is the "best way to do it"? You clearly do no (a) believe break in is necessary and/or (b) don't care if your motor has a short life or the next guy is stuck with the early abuse catching up with him. In any event, it is your car and you have every right to enjoy it any way you wish. Best
Traditionally, I keep my car for about thirteen years or so. Been driving vettes for years, many with highly modified engines, including the Cobra, never had one problem. These are not engines designed 25 years ago, they are ready to hump. Had 420 miles on it when I hit Bristol. then 4700 miles back to San Diego, do not expect any engine problems at all, and was very comfortable running it

Yes it is to enjoy, and not a piece of garage art to be saved for the next guy to enjoy. Do not understand that mentality at all. But it's their money who am I to judge. Different strokes for different folks as the old saying goes!!!

Last edited by Varmit; 05-07-2015 at 01:36 PM.
Old 05-07-2015, 05:48 PM
RBK
Melting Slicks

Altough I agree with you for the most part. I put a race engine like an LS2,3 or LS7 in a car and then immediately stress it to the limit for as much as 2 years and sometimes longer. However, I have to ask, why manufacturers ask for a break in period? Given your history with this marque what conclusion have you come to (presumably, sometime in your past you asked the question of Corvette)?. Best

Originally Posted by Varmit
Traditionally, I keep my car for about thirteen years or so. Been driving vettes for years, many with highly modified engines, including the Cobra, never had one problem. These are not engines designed 25 years ago, they are ready to hump. Had 420 miles on it when I hit Bristol. then 4700 miles back to San Diego, do not expect any engine problems at all, and was very comfortable running it

Yes it is to enjoy, and not a piece of garage art to be saved for the next guy to enjoy. Do not understand that mentality at all. But it's their money who am I to judge. Different strokes for different folks as the old saying goes!!!
Old 05-07-2015, 06:37 PM
Rumba
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 41 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

It's not just the engine you are breaking in but the gears in the transmission and transaxle. Have you ever had a car that winned at highway speeds. I have and it sucks.
Paul
Old 05-07-2015, 07:32 PM
Varmit
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

i seriously doubt coming off a turn at 60 mph and hitting 100 down the straits is going to damage grears tranny or anything else. For petes sake the rev limiter was at 4500 rpms at the time and never hit it. If this car is that fragile, apparently I just made a gigantic mistake with 106k.
Old 05-07-2015, 07:55 PM
Rumba
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 41 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

roger that

Last edited by Rumba; 05-07-2015 at 11:54 PM.
Old 05-07-2015, 07:58 PM
Varmit
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

Old 05-08-2015, 12:35 PM
Varmit
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08