C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Need a new flex plate

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2015, 03:39 PM
bperr99116
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default At least the second flexplate issue....

4303 miles on Z07 A8. Here's a cut and paste of email from service technician:

Just left you a voicemail. Our technician has pinpointed the noise to the bell housing area. The noise is the transmission flex plate (also known as the flywheel) between the engine and transmission. Technician contacted General Motors technical assistance and a case has been started. We need to make sure the bearings in the engine are ok and then will have to replace the flywheel. I am sure you can imagine, this will not be a speedy repair, due to parts availability and complexity. I estimate having your vehicle for approximately one week.

Please let me know if you have any questions. I will keep you updated as soon as I have more information.

Anybody else?
Old 08-26-2015, 09:20 AM
Bob MacLean
Instructor

Received 104 Likes on 65 Posts

Default 2015 Base C7 Built August 2014 Flexplate at 3K miles

Hi members,

I started hearing the rattle at like 2 or 3K miles.
Thought it was exhaust somewhere.. Had it diagnosed at 4K miles yesterday and dealer is sourcing a flexplate.
I worry that there is no redesign, but advisor said there was a new revision. Not sure I should trust this however.
I looked briefly at an aftermarket 1 that looks all welded with no rivets as far as I can tell, but out of stock at the moment while I wait a week for a GM flexplate.
Any thought on this aftermarket one? I hate to repeat flexplate replacement. http://weaponx-c7.myshopify.com/prod...i-flexplate-c7

THanks/FYI!!
Old 08-27-2015, 02:25 AM
DaveN007
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by macb
Hi members,

I started hearing the rattle at like 2 or 3K miles.
Thought it was exhaust somewhere.. Had it diagnosed at 4K miles yesterday and dealer is sourcing a flexplate.
I worry that there is no redesign, but advisor said there was a new revision. Not sure I should trust this however.
I looked briefly at an aftermarket 1 that looks all welded with no rivets as far as I can tell, but out of stock at the moment while I wait a week for a GM flexplate.
Any thought on this aftermarket one? I hate to repeat flexplate replacement. http://weaponx-c7.myshopify.com/prod...i-flexplate-c7

THanks/FYI!!
FWIW...just passed 10k miles and no sign of problem recurring. The car also had an actual heat shield that was loose and making a buzzing sound that was just fixed. Unrelated, but the car is finally not making any extra noises. Lol.
Old 09-02-2015, 04:29 PM
Lear55pilot
Heel & Toe

Default 2015 ZO7 Noise

I am so glad to have seen all posts - although sad we are having same problem on mine. I took it in at 500 for oil change and they said it was the torque converter - and said a big event to repair! I decided to get another opinion and took it to another dealer. They came back today with - guess what - FLEX PLATE! Also said that when they have replaced, they can see no damage or reason for the noise. Weird - but now will be without new car for 2 weeks.... Also - for those that have not seen - report out on the ZOs engine breaking due to the leaving of drill filings in engine and they cause bearing failure. BE SURE TO GET THE 500 mile change done on time! Semper Fi
Old 09-02-2015, 07:33 PM
robertbruce
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,247 Likes on 1,583 Posts

Originally Posted by msp843
My Z07 had a minor rattle at about 300 miles, sounded like a muffler heat shield rattle. When I took it in for the 500 mi oil change the dealer said everything looked ok but to keep an eye on it. The rattle kept getting worst and after searching the forum it seemed to me that it was the flex plate. Well , just got it back from the dealer and they agreed with y'all diagnosis (I love all the info available on this forum!). Car goes back into the shop monday for a new flex plate. So, the moral of the story is if you have a A8 and you hear a strange rattle only at idle, chances are it's the flex plate.
Is this just a Z07 issue?
Old 09-02-2015, 11:51 PM
Lear55pilot
Heel & Toe

Default ZO7 Flex Plate Issue

Dealer tells me that they have seen this only on C7 ZOs so far but it is quite new and mine showed up at 500 miles. Not a nice present for a new ride! I am on list for the C7.R order and am rethinking that now.
Old 09-03-2015, 10:21 AM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Supporting the Corvette Community at Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista, CA 707-374-6317 Ext.123
Received 1,430 Likes on 599 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

It is not only a Z06/Z07 issue, as we have replaced one on an A8 C7 base model. It's also important to keep in mind that you want to find a dealer that has experience in replacing the flexplate in these cars. The procedure to bolt the torque tube collar up to the flexplate is very important to follow or you will have a repeat problem, similar to what some of the posts in this thread have stated.
The following users liked this post:
CliffB-99 (11-14-2015)
Old 09-03-2015, 10:34 AM
FrcFed8
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So is this luck of the draw or is every a8 going to have this issue? Mine is getting built in 2.5 weeks and don't really want to have to deal with this. So no new part yet?
Originally Posted by RichieRichZ06
It is not only a Z06/Z07 issue, as we have replaced one on an A8 C7 base model. It's also important to keep in mind that you want to find a dealer that has experience in replacing the flexplate in these cars. The procedure to bolt the torque tube collar up to the flexplate is very important to follow or you will have a repeat problem, similar to what some of the posts in this thread have stated.
Old 09-09-2015, 10:22 AM
Bob MacLean
Instructor

Default 2015 Base C7 new flex plate at 4K miles, noise since 3K or so.

My flex plate on my Base 2015 C7 with 4K miles is getting replaced while replying to this post and I have asked repeatedly if the same part number is going back in. The service advisor at the large vette dealer in NH keeps telling me its a new revision from the 2016 line. I'm always doubtful in my old age however and hope is the straight story.
Old 09-11-2015, 05:36 PM
Bob MacLean
Instructor

Default Not sure if Flex Plate part number is new variant/superseded # yet?

I have the paperwork for my flex plate job but not the car.. They have to re-torque the torque tube bolts after some slight running then cool completely as part of the PIP5538A process..(I don't have the doc on the PIP to review) picking the car up after weekend as no time today.

The paper work shows part number of 12617579 and new bolts.
My Google shows this is at least in the 2014 C7.

I have been assured (maybe lied too :^) a number of times that the part going in is a new superseded part number. Even told this is the part in the 2016 model. I'm now having my doubts and will be quite miffed if the car has to get ripped apart again. Miffed may mean some more serious action has to be taken. I would think a new part number on the paperwork would look good like "Rev B" or something.

Maybe its a date code thing and the guy banging the rivets on the plate has a bigger hammer...

Not feeling good..

Macb
Old 09-11-2015, 05:38 PM
Bob MacLean
Instructor

Default Wrong PIP # quoted

The PIP is PIP5238A

Macb
Old 09-18-2015, 12:34 PM
Lear55pilot
Heel & Toe

Default ZO Flex Plate Issue

Just wanted to note that two weeks and finally got my car back. My dealer sent photos daily as job went on and I went to see the car with all back on but rear end which had to be done by body shop. In case you ever want to be sad - go see one when apart for this job! The plate they put in my 2015 shows 12647299 in case anyone wishes to compare. FYI - all new bolts MUST be installed and they took an extra week on them.
Old 09-18-2015, 04:16 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,701 Likes on 1,215 Posts

A friend with a 2015 Z07 was telling me Sunday that he has a rattle coming from the bellhousing area.
Old 11-13-2015, 11:20 PM
hcnerf
Cruising

Default Replacing flex plate

Took my new 2015 (2500mi) Z51 3LT 8spd in for roof noise and a ticking noise from the driver side of the engine. Was informed they are going to replace the flex plate and will have the car for a week. They also replaced the roof pins which they say fixed the roof noise. Hopefully the flex plate replacement takes care of what could have been a much bigger problem. I have noticed many other references to the flex plate issue. Mine was just a small ticking noise at idle which suddenly began happening and being an engine nut I immediately suspected a lifter.
Old 11-14-2015, 09:55 AM
docf
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm surprised someone hasn't dropped a letter to Tadge on site regarding this matter as to the cause of the numerous Flexplate failures other than putting a new one in as to solution. Certainly there should be a recall, with a new design install.
Old 11-14-2015, 10:50 AM
Thomasmoto
Race Director

Received 1,523 Likes on 1,037 Posts

Mine is on the lift right now getting a new flex plate.
Old 11-14-2015, 12:13 PM
docf
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Thomasmoto
Mine is on the lift right now getting a new flex plate.
How long from when you first noted a problem to really knowing you had a problem? I take it that the rattle is present both at idle and driving? Does the intensity of the sound increase with time, does it increase when your driving. It will be interesting what the dealer says regarding new design vs. same old part installed.

Get notified of new replies

To Need a new flex plate

Old 11-14-2015, 12:44 PM
Rd16rr
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by docf
How long from when you first noted a problem to really knowing you had a problem? I take it that the rattle is present both at idle and driving? Does the intensity of the sound increase with time, does it increase when your driving. It will be interesting what the dealer says regarding new design vs. same old part installed.
Its a significant rattle....like marbles being tossed around in the bell housing - annoying for sure - at idle only, in park or in gear - while driving its nothing at all, as the rivets are preloaded/stressed in place, so no rattle

I had 1 done at 2500 miles, and my 2nd one at 4500 (yes TWICE) There was no updated/revised part at that time...i'm not sure about now, but the 2nd Plate they installed was the same part # - has been ok since though

The second one was simply by chance....it started rattling as i pulled in for the Rear Differential replacement....the mechanic heard a slight rattle, and we both knew it was failing - he notified GM immediately and they swapped it while the Rear Differential was out

The Rear Differential issue started with getting a Service Rear Axle message, if you haven't seen my other posts, it was causing havoc with StabilTrac and Traction Control...really ruined the driving experience....as ST would kick in easily upon entering any turn (very annoying to have your brakes actuated intermittently) -- Track Mode was not always available, nor was Performance Traction Management -- after this fix at 4500 miles (over 10k now) it has been perfect (thankfully)!!
Attached Images       

Last edited by Rd16rr; 11-14-2015 at 01:10 PM.
The following users liked this post:
docf (11-14-2015)
Old 11-15-2015, 07:49 AM
hootowlc7
Burning Brakes

Received 95 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by RichieRichZ06
Now isn't the flex plate between the crankshaft of the motor and the torque converter? If so, how I'm confused about the torque tube collar statement.
Old 11-15-2015, 01:55 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,701 Likes on 1,215 Posts

Originally Posted by hootowlc7
Now isn't the flex plate between the crankshaft of the motor and the torque converter? If so, how I'm confused about the torque tube collar statement.
The flex plate(which has the starter ring) is attached to the crankshaft, but the torque converter is attached to the transmission at the rear of the car. Between the two, is the 6' long torque tube. At the front of the torque tube is a collar for attachment to the bellhousing.

Inside the torque tube is the prop shaft that connects to the flexplate at the front, and to the torque converter at the rear.

This how the Corvette has been designed since the 1997 C5.

Last edited by JoesC5; 11-15-2015 at 01:59 PM.

Quick Reply: Need a new flex plate