C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Delay in voice dial availability

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2015, 10:20 PM
SLBelt
Racer

Received 128 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Delay in voice dial availability

Anyone else notice that after you start your car and if you attempt to use voice dialing for the first couple minutes you get all sorts of dumb responses from the system? Basically, it acts like it can't recognize what you're saying and either responds with "Sorry" or a completely wrong response like a radio channel instead of the named party to dial.

It appears that it's downloading the phonebook everytime you start and during this period (which I've seen last 5 minutes or more) this happens. It sure seems it would be easier to just say "Sorry downloading the phonebook, please wait" AND/OR provide me the option to turn off the phonebook download everytime. I like to jump in the car and call someone via voicedial and have to wait a while before I can... <rant off>
Old 05-22-2015, 11:47 PM
CaryBob
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 344 Likes on 221 Posts

Once it pairs with my iPhone, I can make calls pretty much right away. I usually wait until I leave my driveway though, so its several seconds before I try to make a call. I don't think there's any downloading going on, but I could be misinformed.
Old 05-23-2015, 12:40 AM
-HAIRBALL-
Pro

Received 144 Likes on 100 Posts

I have only tried mine twice and each time it answers with some random name that is not even close to what I want. I just use the screen and open my contacts and dial that way. I guess the system is suppose to work better the more you use it; however, who has time to deal with wrong info for weeks or months while it "learns" how to respond.
Old 05-23-2015, 01:07 AM
Flyboy22
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by -HAIRBALL-
I have only tried mine twice and each time it answers with some random name that is not even close to what I want. I just use the screen and open my contacts and dial that way. I guess the system is suppose to work better the more you use it; however, who has time to deal with wrong info for weeks or months while it "learns" how to respond.
Same here. I've tried it handful of times and gotten nonsense, no matter how clearly or slowly I speak.

I concluded that this is unfortunately a feature that doesn't work at all.
Old 05-23-2015, 09:34 AM
vetteman41960
Burning Brakes

Received 1,051 Likes on 442 Posts

Originally Posted by Flyboy22
Same here. I've tried it handful of times and gotten nonsense, no matter how clearly or slowly I speak.

I concluded that this is unfortunately a feature that doesn't work at all.
Guys I use my voice commands a lot. My z06 is a daily driver . I also experience an initial delay on start up. It takes a couple minutes before it will recognize a phone command. After that couple minutes the system work great. I would say 9 out of 10 times it gets the voice command correct. Occasionally if your foot is on the gas and the exhaust is in sport or track it will not recognize the command. Check the owner's manual or your cell phone for voice sensitivity. It could be your cell and not the car. Again mine works great after the initial start up delay of a minute or two. Best system I have every used, and I have like most everyone on the forum have owned and driven many high line automobiles. Good luck

Last edited by vetteman41960; 05-23-2015 at 09:38 AM.
Old 05-23-2015, 11:09 AM
-HAIRBALL-
Pro

Received 144 Likes on 100 Posts

I tried it after I had been driving for about 30 minutes. I asked to call my wife, her name starts with an F, and it gives me Susan something that I have never heard of...
Old 05-23-2015, 03:19 PM
FirehawkTA
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

The voice dial works about 90% of the time for me ... not including the first couple of minutes when it never works.
Old 05-23-2015, 04:35 PM
0Brent@StasekChevy
Former Vendor

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts

I use the voice dial all the time, it is true depending on your contact list size that it may take several minutes to download each time the car starts but as a tip the system actually has a more difficult time recognizing voice commands when spoke very loud or very slow. So be sure to keep that in mind, it works best like your talking to a person in normal conversation.

Old 05-23-2015, 06:27 PM
SLBelt
Racer

Received 128 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Brent@StasekChevy
I use the voice dial all the time, it is true depending on your contact list size that it may take several minutes to download each time the car starts but as a tip the system actually has a more difficult time recognizing voice commands when spoke very loud or very slow. So be sure to keep that in mind, it works best like your talking to a person in normal conversation.

That would explain why mine takes a while. It's my work and personal contacts, so well over a thousand to download. I wish I could disable the auto download, and only redownload on demand.

Get notified of new replies

To Delay in voice dial availability

Quick Reply: Delay in voice dial availability