C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports
View Poll Results: If you've Overheated What is Your Stage Aero 1, 2 or 3
Stage 1 Aero
22.70%
Stage 2 Aero
20.98%
Stage 3 Aero
56.32%
Voters: 348. You may not vote on this poll

ZO6 overheating issues ***MEGA Merge***

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 07:58 AM
GP1224
Burning Brakes

Received 63 Likes on 41 Posts

Another useless regurgitated post that is no different than any other.
Old 06-30-2015, 09:46 AM
Madsen
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 42 Posts

Nine ball,

Do you think a aluminum radiator with more density and cooling ability could assist?
Dewitt plus a lower thermostat? The stat would allow more flow sooner. Since we can't break into the computer and re set the fan switching to come on sooner. Those are the only 2 things that seem to be cost effective.
Your thoughts?
Old 06-30-2015, 09:59 AM
ovrebo1
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by GP1224
Wow!! yet another post about the same thing but just worded in a different way.

At this point its just pure clutter on this forum and the moderators should take them down.
Old 06-30-2015, 10:10 AM
SPEEDGT
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ovrebo1
I think if you can afford to spend as much as the value as a small mid western house on your cars, you can pay a race shop a couple grand to throw some extra fat coolers on your car.
u clearly don't get it, you sound like a moron, when people break their buts and save for a vehicle you expect to get what CHEVROLET is selling, just like the people who buy that small mid western house would expect the roof not to leak with in a year of purchase
Old 06-30-2015, 10:23 AM
SPEEDGT
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Achilles97
It's crazy that some of you are implying that he is in the wrong by feeling that this overheating issue is unacceptable. You tell him to pay to play? Come on. $100k should be enough to drive the "most capable Corvette ever" on a track for a few laps without overheating. It's stupid and no one should accept this from a Z06. This car is seriously flawed and GM needs to resolve the flaws.
Old 06-30-2015, 10:28 AM
Waytofastvette2006
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

typical GM

They are selling plenty so why bother fixing a problem ?

they should be up front about it and offer a bigger radiator to everyone
Old 06-30-2015, 10:39 AM
CitationZ06@yahoo
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would like to run a "larger" supercharger pully. Spin the supercharger 10% slower and see if you can run all day? Just to test that angle, see the result.
Old 06-30-2015, 10:42 AM
OBSSSD
Drifting

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

The bottom line is that GM tried to build a cheap ZR1 and failed

Buying a C7 Z with the A8 to use on the track is just dumb given the numerous issues out there
Old 06-30-2015, 10:45 AM
SPEEDGT
Intermediate

Originally Posted by b4i4getit
GM should change their advertising to say the Z06 is "the most capable street Corvette ever." They won't fix the problem since they would have to admit there is a problem and then the 2015 owners would be all over them. The waxers and cars and coffee guys are the biggest supporters of the car. The real track guys with these problems are either throwing money at the car or more likely they have sold it and moved on with something else.
wait till the waxers and cars and coffee guys get caught in slow moving traffic, I remember in nyc and long island I would have to leave captree long island on sunday afternoon no later than 1 pm to go home or travel at 5 mph on belt parkway (high way) do that when its 90 degrees
Old 06-30-2015, 10:50 AM
NGS
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by b4i4getit
The waxers and cars and coffee guys are the biggest supporters of the car.
Unfortunately this is probably one of the truest statements made in this entire thread. Likely 99.9% of those buying the new Z fall in this demographic. They will hit the go fast pedal on occasion but most of what they do is go from one car gathering to another, using their California dusters to make sure the car is nice and clean.
Old 06-30-2015, 10:51 AM
ovrebo1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CitationZ06@yahoo
I would like to run a "larger" supercharger pully. Spin the supercharger 10% slower and see if you can run all day? Just to test that angle, see the result.
ding ding ding ding. Excellent idea!
Old 06-30-2015, 11:07 AM
U2Slow
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default It is a problem

It is a fact. Majority that race the car experience overheating and those that don't have that same problem they just don't know it.
GM needs to step up and fix it but they will not act until news is published in the magazine or article and that is when they will start to take appropriate steps to resolve the problem and not until then.
They may also wait for public to come up with solution that they will implement during future production years.
Maybe this overheating issue is why we don't have ring times yet. Maybe or maybe not. Maybe car can't complete a whole lap without losing power due to overheating. Who knows.
But the fact is those cars have a problem and GM is doing nothing about it for now.

Publish an article about it (or in motor trend - send an email to article writers) and see how fast GM will acknowledge the issue. Once their sales are impacted due to articles then they will focus on it.

Just my opinion and that is why I will not be buying 2016 z06 either until issues are solved. Until then, my 2013 GTR keeps me smiling and racing without issues.

Good luck all that paid over 100k for a car that was over promised and under delivered in my opinion.

Sold 06 z06 recently to pick up 2015-2016 z06 but for now I m not pulling a trigger yet until I see some resolution.

Good luck all
Old 06-30-2015, 11:10 AM
Stingray23
Le Mans Master

Received 603 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by NGS
Unfortunately this is probably one of the truest statements made in this entire thread. Likely 99.9% of those buying the new Z fall in this demographic. They will hit the go fast pedal on occasion but most of what they do is go from one car gathering to another, using their California dusters to make sure the car is nice and clean.
Even more so now that an automatic is offered.
Old 06-30-2015, 11:19 AM
BruZe06
Racer

Received 135 Likes on 55 Posts

To be fair to the Z, it is not the only car with heat issues, my '08 EVO X and my '13 GT-R did go into limp dic@ modes a few times when pushed hard with their twin clutch trans. but on the other hand, my '08 and '14 Vipers never overheated, my old '02 Z06 never overheated, my '04 GT3 never overheated too. I've been wanting to buy a z06 for months and this overheating issue is really not helping in making up my mind. Now I see people complaining about temps rising even on the street so looks like the purchase decision will have to factor in an centri supercharger setup with the purchase. I do feel it is misleading advertisement when GM advertises this as a capable track car.
Old 06-30-2015, 11:42 AM
Mpwr247
Intermediate

Originally Posted by U2Slow
It is a fact. Majority that race the car experience overheating and those that don't have that same problem they just don't know it.
GM needs to step up and fix it but they will not act until news is published in the magazine or article and that is when they will start to take appropriate steps to resolve the problem and not until then.
They may also wait for public to come up with solution that they will implement during future production years.
Maybe this overheating issue is why we don't have ring times yet. Maybe or maybe not. Maybe car can't complete a whole lap without losing power due to overheating. Who knows.
But the fact is those cars have a problem and GM is doing nothing about it for now.

Publish an article about it (or in motor trend - send an email to article writers) and see how fast GM will acknowledge the issue. Once their sales are impacted due to articles then they will focus on it.

Just my opinion and that is why I will not be buying 2016 z06 either until issues are solved. Until then, my 2013 GTR keeps me smiling and racing without issues.

Good luck all that paid over 100k for a car that was over promised and under delivered in my opinion.

Sold 06 z06 recently to pick up 2015-2016 z06 but for now I m not pulling a trigger yet until I see some resolution.

Good luck all
Old 06-30-2015, 11:44 AM
ovrebo1
Burning Brakes

I rented a GTR and put all temps into the red first lap out. I just LOL'd.

I think renting them is the best piece of mind before you drop 80-100k on a car; only costs $500-1500 depending on the car and available rental agencies in your area
Old 06-30-2015, 11:50 AM
NOSLO6
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Have jalopnik or autoweek written anything about it yet? Seems like exactly the type of story that they cover.

Get notified of new replies

To ZO6 overheating issues ***MEGA Merge***

Old 06-30-2015, 12:02 PM
ZR JUAN
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by OBSSSD
The bottom line is that GM tried to build a cheap ZR1 and failed

Buying a C7 Z with the A8 to use on the track is just dumb given the numerous issues out there
When do you think the C8 will be out?
Old 06-30-2015, 12:05 PM
U2Slow
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ovrebo1
I rented a GTR and put all temps into the red first lap out. I just LOL'd.

I think renting them is the best piece of mind before you drop 80-100k on a car; only costs $500-1500 depending on the car and available rental agencies in your area
I hope you were able to get refund if car didn't perform. I would ask for it.

My and many of my friends GTRs have never overheated or lost performance at the track (and if anyone did, inter cooler swap solved that problem) I never had one issue either with my 06Z06 but I am keeping an eye on GM's actions on how they will fix overheating problem on c7z06 before I buy one. I want one bad but I m just hesitant to buy now. I would love to pick up 2015 z06 (with 5 yr 100k powertrain warranty) but didn't due to overheating. Knowing that future z06 production will not have that 5yr powertrain warranty.
So for now, I ll stay tuned to see how it plays out. I do hope for an article or two on this issue and then you will see GM get on it.
Old 06-30-2015, 12:05 PM
Tripleblk6spd
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

I would be curious to see if anyone who has headers and an x-pipe with no cats is having the same issues. Alot of the extra heat comes from exhaust back pressure, and the cats holding heat in. While I agree the car shouldn't overheat in stock trim, I am realistic about it. I have an A8 as well, the added temperature from an auto, and a 650hp car. Power creates heat, automatics create heat, it's a reality. You can so go buy a car that makes less power and is a manual...but what are we really doing here?

This will probably never be an issue for me, as I have no intention of taking mine to a road coarse, it will see autocross duty, and the drag strip from time to time. It's a daily driver that I can have fun with on weekends from time to time.

Quick Reply: ZO6 overheating issues ***MEGA Merge***