C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports
View Poll Results: If you've Overheated What is Your Stage Aero 1, 2 or 3
Stage 1 Aero
22.70%
Stage 2 Aero
20.98%
Stage 3 Aero
56.32%
Voters: 348. You may not vote on this poll

ZO6 overheating issues ***MEGA Merge***

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 03:48 PM
peterjank
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by SBC_and_a_stick
I though you were describing the Nurburgring time threads. those are 100% conjecture and yet those are not merged.

There are many track reports now buried here. Does anyone think someone will bother to post PDR, video, and summarize their track experience if they know it will the 1,700th post in a thread?

Say someone risks losing their warranty, breaking their car, but posts a cooling solution. Will they do so as the 1,701th post in a thread?

Will anyone go through 1,701 to find the information they want when it has no structure by topic or user?
I agree 100%. This merge is an incredible disservice to those that were exploring different methods for increasing cooling.

The discussion related to higher octane fuels was quite objective and informative, but now it is rolled in with all this other stuff and lost for all intents and purposes.

Thankfully, there are a couple of similar threads exploring different approaches that were left alone. Hopefully they will remain that way.
Old 06-30-2015, 03:54 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Actually the disservice to the issue was likely the 90 different threads with the same info repeated over and over with ever-increasing angst accompanied by absolutely no useful data in solving the problem (or very little).

I've read a ton of these threads and all I learned is that some cars have a propensity to heat at the track, but not all do; that there are track-prep steps in the manual; that water & water wetter helps more then glycol, and that people are (sometimes justifiably) upset about it.

I think that's close to all that's really been said in the last 83 pages. Reasonable suggestions as to cause and how to determine the cause are rejected out of hand on an almost religious basis... as in "How dare you doubt it?"

I hope they merge them ALL into one. Better yet, create a track subforum as we've been advocating because that appears to be the only place it matters.

Just MHO. I drive a convertible so it won't be overheating. All I care about is sub-3 zero to sixties and a good 60 foot, and it'll survive that. Well, except maybe the rear end (which is being replaced this morning - all without an 83 page thread about it).

Why has no one ordered a big-*** Ron Davis (or whoever) radiator with the same physical mounting form factor? If you're into it for $100K, why not $102K? Even if its a bandaid, if it solves your issue, who cares?

Last edited by davepl; 06-30-2015 at 03:57 PM.
Old 06-30-2015, 04:04 PM
soulsea
Alcoholics Unanimous
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,642 Likes on 413 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16

Real threads addressing heat issues on either track or street, with real/documented data such as Cosworth data, PDR videos, and/or codes, or threads that attempt a technical solution should be able to stand on their own so we can document the frequency/intensity/nature of the issue and to be able to discuss different solutions to it.

I agree with having a sticky general discussion thread on overheating ... however merging and burying the above stated types of threads into a megathread is poor site management that serves no one, especially those who have the issue and those, including vendors, who may be trying to resolve it.

It is just lazy, knee-jerk site management pressured into by members who don't want to stare at a serious issue that they do not suffer from, for if they did they'd be the first ones posting about it, as well they should.

We all knew his was going to happen when some of these Z06s started on relatively cool spring days. Then there are the repeated 'ask-tadge' questions on the same subject. Someone should have seen this coming and had a plan to separate the general discussion from factual and technical threads on this issue ... instead we get this useless gigantic thread.
Old 06-30-2015, 04:04 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by <<427_V8>>
So Motortrend and Randy Probst are just making up stories about overheating too then?

That happened in 70* weather - imagine what 90*+ could do...
Thank you for proving you don't know the difference between coolant/engine temps and oil temps.

Thank you also for standing as an example of somebody who contributes nothing but fanning the flames.
S.
Old 06-30-2015, 04:05 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by soulsea
Real threads addressing heat issues on either track or street, with real/documented data such as Cosworth data, PDR videos, and/or codes, or threads that attempt a technical solution should be able to stand on their own so we can document the frequency/intensity/nature of the issue and to be able to discuss different solutions to it.

Bingo.
S.
Old 06-30-2015, 04:07 PM
peterjank
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I agree a track sub-forum would be a great idea. The unfortunate thing about the GM's new approach to the Z06 is that it has forced together groups of owners that have very little in common beyond the ability to pay for the car.
Old 06-30-2015, 04:13 PM
dar02081961
Melting Slicks

Received 845 Likes on 497 Posts

Originally Posted by soulsea

I agree with having a sticky general discussion thread on overheating ... however merging and burying the above stated types of threads into a megathread is poor site management that serves no one, especially those who have the issue and those, including vendors, who may be trying to resolve it.

It is just lazy, knee-jerk site management pressured into by members who don't want to stare at a serious issue that they do not suffer from, for if they did they'd be the first ones posting about it, as well they should.

We all knew his was going to happen when some of these Z06s started on relatively cool spring days. Then there are the repeated 'ask-tadge' questions on the same subject. Someone should have seen this coming and had a plan to separate the general discussion from factual and technical threads on this issue ... instead we get this useless gigantic thread.
Amen
Old 06-30-2015, 04:14 PM
<<427_V8>>
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Snorman
Thank you for proving you don't know the difference between coolant/engine temps and oil temps.

Thank you also for standing as an example of somebody who contributes nothing but fanning the flames.
S.
I do know the difference, just misread your post - either way 320* oil temps is a little bit higher than one would want for engine longevity, don't you think? I guess we'll see in a few years how long these motors last. Doesn't change the fact that the ECU pulled power and they couldn't finish the lap at speed.
Old 06-30-2015, 04:21 PM
rwheelz
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

For the love of sanity why didn't they just create a sub-forum and put all the overheating threads there? We need to pay these moderators more.
Old 06-30-2015, 04:27 PM
reasonable suspicion
Melting Slicks

Received 324 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1
Actually the disservice to the issue was likely the 90 different threads with the same info repeated over and over with ever-increasing angst accompanied by absolutely no useful data in solving the problem (or very little).

I've read a ton of these threads and all I learned is that some cars have a propensity to heat at the track, but not all do; that there are track-prep steps in the manual; that water & water wetter helps more then glycol, and that people are (sometimes justifiably) upset about it.

I think that's close to all that's really been said in the last 83 pages. Reasonable suggestions as to cause and how to determine the cause are rejected out of hand on an almost religious basis... as in "How dare you doubt it?"

I hope they merge them ALL into one. Better yet, create a track subforum as we've been advocating because that appears to be the only place it matters.

Just MHO. I drive a convertible so it won't be overheating. All I care about is sub-3 zero to sixties and a good 60 foot, and it'll survive that. Well, except maybe the rear end (which is being replaced this morning - all without an 83 page thread about it).

Why has no one ordered a big-*** Ron Davis (or whoever) radiator with the same physical mounting form factor? If you're into it for $100K, why not $102K? Even if its a bandaid, if it solves your issue, who cares?
They should just delete any negative threads and posts. A c7z owners utopia, and the furthering of sales. Misery loves company.
Old 06-30-2015, 04:28 PM
dar02081961
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by peterjank
I agree a track sub-forum would be a great idea. The unfortunate thing about the GM's new approach to the Z06 is that it has forced together groups of owners that have very little in common beyond the ability to pay for the car.
Agree about the sub forum.

About forcing groups together not so much.
I don't think most take issue with fellow owners.

A sub forum probably wont solve the issue because the majority of folks complaining about this issue and how disappointing it is don't own AND track a C7 Z06 to begin with. Bunch of folks come here to stir the pot or chide the competition.

However a sub forum will make one look stupid for re-stating the obvious in effort to re-hash a well documented issue. This is especially true if one has nothing of substance to add to the discussion.

Last edited by dar02081961; 06-30-2015 at 05:01 PM.
Old 06-30-2015, 04:29 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Received 551 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1

Let's get the facts straight. You are one of those who posted endless threads without providing any objective data. Here are a few threads that you created:
Specific overheating question (not a rant)
Are oil temps not commensurate with coolant
A different thought on overheating

Then you ask the moderators to remove such threads because they clutter the forum and because they are not important. Do you forget you started such threads and posted in nearly all of them? Why did you post multiple if you think they should all be one thread? Why did you post at all if you don't care about the subject?

Here is a link you should sticky for yourself
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/hypocrite

There are a dozen track reports now buried here from people that can pay track fees and can drive. All objective data subverted for what?
Old 06-30-2015, 04:53 PM
king awesome!
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Are you kidding me?

A few people complain because the issue does not affect their weekend cruise and you merge the most important subject related to the car into a single "Mega Merge" mess? Unreal! I'm sorry they don't like to see the threads, but i don't really care what their girlfriends look like standing next to their cars either. Did i ask for it to be removed? No, i skipped over it, just as they can on subjects that do not pertain to them.

Some of us really enjoy hitting the track when time allows. It can be expensive with a lot of planning and traveling involved. When we get there we would like to know our cars are going to perform as advertised. If not, we can reach out to our fellow forum members for advice and assistance. Over heating is not just a complaint subject that may ruin the mood of a few, it is a concern subject for many members having issues. Please find a better way to organize the mess you created by bending to the will of some whiners. This is a mess!
Old 06-30-2015, 04:57 PM
DaveN007
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

A separate track forum is a good idea.

That is where the overheating issue is occurring.
Old 06-30-2015, 04:59 PM
CFHay
Burning Brakes

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

So many of you would rather have 30 threads of speculative, pot stirring posts instead of keeping the discussion in one? I have no problem with owners with data, track reports, etc. It's the geniuses that post new threads with essentially "Did you hear about that overheating? What's the deal with that?". Same thing goes for the Nurburgring posts.
Old 06-30-2015, 05:00 PM
dar02081961
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by reasonable suspicion
They should just delete any negative threads and posts. A c7z owners utopia, and the furthering of sales. Misery loves company.
No not at all. Cant delete negative threads. Negative threads and comments are welcome IF the intent is to bring light to subject with hopes of improving the breed.

Problem is every clown on the internet has a voice.
And those of us that actually own the damn car cant sift through the BS long enough or fast enough to gain anything helpful from being here.

News flash the C7 Z06 may overheat if you do this and if you do that if you take it to the track if you own one.

Most of the folks that come here aint interested in helping they just want to stir the pot for whatever sick reason.

So bare with us it just gets old.
Old 06-30-2015, 05:02 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Let's get the facts straight. You are one of those who posted endless threads without providing any objective data. Here are a few threads that you created:
Those were some awesome threads, thanks for the nostalgia. You might want to read them to learn how to write a thread that attempts to -resolve- an issue instead of just whining about GM.

You might note also those threads were genuine attempts at trying to -help- not just Chicken Little the issue again. I can't provide data for a problem I've never seen (chew on that a minute, it'll make sense) so I -request- data that you keep saying is out there but can't provide.

Odds are, and you know this, if you guys had been sensible and constructive you wouldn't have all your stuff merged into one large thread. Nothing times nothing is nothing, so 83 pages or 1 page, doesn't matter when it's not helpful. And the 'help' of making sure everyone is aware of this dire issue was done months ago, I assure you.

If there's anyone here that thinks you haven't been -heard-, you're wrong. If there's anyone here that thinks people (like GM) are eager to help with all the vitriol, you don't know much about human behavior.

I guess you could create a ton of threads complaining about the car each and every day until GM, out of sheer PR, does or says something.

How'd that work out for you? Yeah, that's what I thought.

As I'm too lazy to sort through this thread, if you want to point me at the timing and retard logs you seem to think are out there, I will review and do my best to give you a productive answer. But you keep saying this data is out there, and all I find are logs of temps and IAT. Not enough. Go find it for me.

Should have bought a Viper dude, we'd all be happier. You're so worked up you're on the Internet bitching at strangers and being rude instead of out in the sun driving with the top down. Which reminds me, it's 85F and sunny, so I'm outta here!

Last edited by davepl; 06-30-2015 at 05:09 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To ZO6 overheating issues ***MEGA Merge***

Old 06-30-2015, 05:17 PM
Reciprocal
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

Then you ask the moderators to remove such threads because they clutter the forum and because they are not important. Do you forget you started such threads and posted in nearly all of them? Why did you post multiple if you think they should all be one thread? Why did you post at all if you don't care about the subject?

There are a dozen track reports now buried here from people that can pay track fees and can drive. All objective data subverted for what?
Old 06-30-2015, 05:19 PM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

I have a feeling this thread will be locked soon enough. Somebody will be bad enough to cause this to happen.
Old 06-30-2015, 05:27 PM
kverges
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 18 Posts

As usual, this thread is big and now merged in large part due to the apparent need of folks to stir up vitriol. Some folks clearly want to just pile on about cooling; other folks seem to be so brand loyal and uninterested in the track that they can't bear to skip threads about which they have heartburn. There is a lot of appalling name-calling, like "troll" "fanboy" and worse by lovers and haters.

Why be pejorative at all?

Me, I'd have called this the "Fluid Temperatures on Track" thread and begged people to post only quantitative data, such as ambient temperature, lap time, coolant and oil temps. Then changes such as different coolant mixes, radiator and how the quantitative data is affected. There is some of this information in here, but it's awfully hard to find. A search for PDR is a help, as most of the quantitative data is obtained though the PDR.

There is already a subforum for Corvette track driving in general, so perhaps that is the proper refuge for serious, objective and quantitative threads about cooling on the Z06.

Quick Reply: ZO6 overheating issues ***MEGA Merge***