C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports
View Poll Results: If you've Overheated What is Your Stage Aero 1, 2 or 3
Stage 1 Aero
22.70%
Stage 2 Aero
20.98%
Stage 3 Aero
56.32%
Voters: 348. You may not vote on this poll

ZO6 overheating issues ***MEGA Merge***

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2015, 07:13 PM
axr6
Pro

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom DeWitt
Hey guys, we have a new Z09 auto lined up for next week. We are going to use this car to develop a new oil cooler package and work on improvements to our aftermarket radiator.
Great news! Can't wait for the solution!
Old 07-15-2015, 07:17 PM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Supporting the Corvette Community at Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista, CA 707-374-6317 Ext.123
Received 1,425 Likes on 597 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

It's subjective. I ran a 20 minute session in 96 degree heat in our Z07 and did not get past the threshold for warnings. It got warm (240+ coolant and 290 oil), but I never got the warnings. I was 5+ seconds per lap faster than the fastest 991 GT3 and faster than everyone else except myself in our C6Z track car so it was getting driven hard.

There were 3 other C7Z's there and a couple of them were over heating. They were also significantly slower so driving style has a lot to do with how hot the car gets.
Old 07-15-2015, 07:17 PM
soulsea
Alcoholics Unanimous
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,642 Likes on 413 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16

Hey guys, we have a new Z09 auto lined up for next week. We are going to use this car to develop a new oil cooler package and work on improvements to our aftermarket radiator.
I wish I had a Z09.
Old 07-15-2015, 07:19 PM
firstgear
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 640 Likes on 358 Posts
2019 Corvette of the Year Winner
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by RichieRichZ06
driving style has a lot to do with how hot the car gets.
That is my opinion as well!
Old 07-15-2015, 07:24 PM
Blvdbrawler
Melting Slicks

Received 226 Likes on 137 Posts

Good for 1 lap or 2 with M7? And GM "said" this? Come on man...I don't believe this for a second. I run the hell out my car both on and off the track with ZERO overheating problems. Not sure why some of the folks are experiencing these issues but I can for one say its not true (In my case). My car runs hard all day everyday and seems to be getting more faster and powerful as I put more miles on it. Only mod I have on her is the Halltech CAI and the Coras off road x-pipe and extreme exhaust...
Old 07-15-2015, 07:27 PM
Hecks
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Heat immune

Originally Posted by Busa Dave
Well there are others that drive the crap out of them with no issues.. HELLO Poor-Sha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Will say this whole subject has me confused somewhat. Cannot understand why some cars are heat immune and others are fragile as a egg shell..
None of them are heat immune. When are you guys going to get it. These cars are intrinsically flawed.
Old 07-15-2015, 07:31 PM
Blvdbrawler
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Hecks
None of them are heat immune. When are you guys going to get it. These cars are intrinsically flawed.
LOL...Gotta love the folks who cant afford these intrinsically flawed vehicles...
Old 07-15-2015, 07:34 PM
RedZ4me
Le Mans Master

Received 422 Likes on 257 Posts

"......most track capable corvette ever"
Old 07-15-2015, 07:37 PM
Hecks
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Ridiculous assumption

Originally Posted by Blvdbrawler
LOL...Gotta love the folks who cant afford these intrinsically flawed vehicles...
You're assumption couldn't be more wrong and it's funny how you go for an ad hominem fallacy to protect yourself from the truth. By the way I was set to buy one until this issue started emerging. I am a long time Chevy guy and have owned two ZR1's and two Z/28's. I feel like Chevy really screwed this one up and the people who are blindly defending Chevy are just insuring more of the same: over promising and under delivering. If people refused to accept this treatment, Chevy would have to change their behavior.

Last edited by Hecks; 07-15-2015 at 07:47 PM.
Old 07-15-2015, 07:47 PM
RedZ4me
Le Mans Master

Received 422 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by Blvdbrawler
Gotta love those that A$$ume
Old 07-15-2015, 08:00 PM
kverges
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 18 Posts

This thread is an example of why the mega-merge exists and where it will end up. The problem is there is nothing objective, the track is not even identified, let alone lap times and other data like exact oil and water temperatures. And that goes for the defenders, too, they are not providing lap times, locations, ambient temperatures, and so on.
Old 07-15-2015, 08:18 PM
CONMAX
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 59 Posts

the dealership is not being honest with you. there is no way the GM corporate would say that their "most track capable car" can only be run for 1-2 laps.
Old 07-15-2015, 08:39 PM
DaveN007
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

If someone posted "I was driving to work and my alternator failed" would people reply "I have a job and I drive and my alternator is fine, you troll."?

This place is crazy.

The "blame the victim" impulse is bizzare.

You just don't see this with other car marques.
Old 07-15-2015, 08:49 PM
schaibaa
Burning Brakes

Received 145 Likes on 90 Posts

A big part of it is because a lot of this story is missing and/or doesn't make any sense. High RPM in 3rd and 4th is triple digit speeds which should translate into better cooling. Outside pro level drivers, I don't think anyone is going to overheat in a lap or two. If so there is probably a problem with the car (coolant issue). This needs PDR data.

Last edited by schaibaa; 07-15-2015 at 08:54 PM.
Old 07-15-2015, 09:06 PM
Operations
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 231 Likes on 132 Posts

Dang, I just ordered the current radiator!
Old 07-15-2015, 09:10 PM
time2run
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by schaibaa
A big part of it is because a lot of this story is missing and/or doesn't make any sense. High RPM in 3rd and 4th is triple digit speeds which should translate into better cooling. Outside pro level drivers, I don't think anyone is going to overheat in a lap or two. If so there is probably a problem with the car (coolant issue). This needs PDR data.
Make up your mind as you wish however I'm not a hot-shot driver like a lot of the guys. I was not pushing the car too hard but trying to feel it out and get used to how she handles. The dealership still has the car so when I pick it up tomorrow I'll have more of an in-depth discussion on the issue.

My thread is not about the overheating issue as much as it is about the reply I received back from the dealership. Next time I'll make sure that I have twelve people in the car to validate the story for all you skeptical people.
Old 07-15-2015, 09:15 PM
schaibaa
Burning Brakes

Received 145 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by time2run
Make up your mind as you wish however I'm not a hot-shot driver like a lot of the guys. I was not pushing the car too hard but trying to feel it out and get used to how she handles. The dealership still has the car so when I pick it up tomorrow I'll have more of an in-depth discussion on the issue.

My thread is not about the overheating issue as much as it is about the reply I received back from the dealership. Next time I'll make sure that I have twelve people in the car to validate the story for all you skeptical people.
Or PDR data, or what track, what track prep was done, etc. Your post just needs more info. It's not that people disbelieve you, it's just that too much important info was left out for analysis.

Get notified of new replies

To ZO6 overheating issues ***MEGA Merge***

Old 07-15-2015, 09:16 PM
firstgear
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 640 Likes on 358 Posts
2019 Corvette of the Year Winner
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by time2run

Sigh......it would help if you framed the specifics of the car track prep as well as had some data. It's not a matter of being skeptical, it's a matter of being able to understand all the conditions of the run. It is not enough to say it was 98 degrees out.....you have left out a bunch of data needed to understand what might work and what won't.

Don't let thin skin get the best of you....just provide data.

After all....."in God we trust, all others bring data"
Old 07-15-2015, 09:18 PM
Blvdbrawler
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Hecks
You're assumption couldn't be more wrong and it's funny how you go for an ad hominem fallacy to protect yourself from the truth. By the way I was set to buy one until this issue started emerging. I am a long time Chevy guy and have owned two ZR1's and two Z/28's. I feel like Chevy really screwed this one up and the people who are blindly defending Chevy are just insuring more of the same: over promising and under delivering. If people refused to accept this treatment, Chevy would have to change their behavior.
LMAO Yeah okay dude...Very typical, everybody who cant afford one either has a couple airplanes and boats or 2 Zr1's and 2 Z28 etc...I don't have to protect myself from anything especially from BS comments like yours and that other fool who trolls the forum looking for trouble...I "actually" own 1 and have zero problems along with MOST of the new Z owners. All your BS is well...BS. Think what you want...As an American you have a right to your opinion. As for me, Ill keep on enjoying my overheating piece of crap car while you keep writing post on the Z06 forum about how much you don't like it and blah blah blah! Poor misguided me!

Last edited by Blvdbrawler; 07-15-2015 at 09:21 PM.
Old 07-15-2015, 09:25 PM
Blvdbrawler
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by RedZ4me
Gotta love those that A$$ume
I thought they banned you a long time ago? I see your still around offering little to nothing as usual...

Quick Reply: ZO6 overheating issues ***MEGA Merge***