C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports
View Poll Results: If you've Overheated What is Your Stage Aero 1, 2 or 3
Stage 1 Aero
22.70%
Stage 2 Aero
20.98%
Stage 3 Aero
56.32%
Voters: 348. You may not vote on this poll

ZO6 overheating issues ***MEGA Merge***

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2015, 10:36 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by C7_Z06
I'm not refuting. Just clearing up what the icons mean.

Did you read MT's statement? I think he's reading the oil temp gauge as the coolant because he stated "as you can see...... temp is fine"

Here reread it again:

At highway speeds and the typical light throttle openings seen during that kind of driving the oil temp usually runs about the same temp or a little lower than the coolant temp. The oil temp gauge shown in the picture doesn't provide very good resolution of the actual oil temp but it is over 200 degrees (the meaning of the lines is a little hard to determine because they aren't equivalent with the ones below 200). It seems reasonable to assume the oil temp is not anywhere near 250 but we really can't be sure. However, assuming the oil temp is in the low 200s the coolant temp should be somewhere close to that and likely not more than 10 degrees higher. That indicates there could be a sensor issue.

Bill
Old 08-03-2015, 10:42 AM
KustomsbyKev
Melting Slicks

Received 64 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by NineBall
I'm wondering when the tipping point will occur, where people here start to demand more from Chevy and begin to demand they resolve these issues - instead of making excuses for Chevy and blaming the messenger of problems.

These issues aren't make-believe. When the issues are resolved in the 2017 model year, all of you that were vocal that the 2015-16 cars are perfect, might be too late to get your cars addressed.
While the very, very few cases of cars overheating on the street aren't make-believe, they are very rare and the result of isolated production issues that ALL cars have. I havent heard of any members claiming the car is "perfect", but it seems the majority of owners are really happy with their cars. Do some wish there were changes made, sure, just like I'm sure there are many Viper owners that have some gripes about their car. I don't track my car therefore I have zero issues with overheating but agree that for those that do, additional cooling MAY be necessary. Do I think GM NEEDS to "fix" something, no.
Old 08-03-2015, 10:51 AM
mookiec
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sadly this car has had enough negativity surrounding it to deem it a "dog with fleas" as Michael Douglas said in Wall Street. My assumption is they rushed it to production without enough testing, maybe they will learn from this.

Last edited by mookiec; 08-03-2015 at 10:55 AM.
Old 08-03-2015, 10:53 AM
william wyatt
Burning Brakes

Received 317 Likes on 146 Posts

I just love how you all just keep making excuses for this car..
Old 08-03-2015, 11:07 AM
nhpln
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Poor-sha
Is there anybody that really believes this specific car doesn't have something wrong with it? Clearly the car shouldn't overheat just driving down the highway in moderate temps and this is far from a widespread issue. Let's not confuse the track cooling issue with this.

P.S. I just got back from 2 days on SP Shenandoah with mine. 10 hours of track time in 2 days, temps in the upper 80's, no overheating problems.
When was your Z06 built? Curious to try to determine if GM made some unpublicized running changes during the 2015 MY.
Old 08-03-2015, 11:12 AM
docb
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by c6bound
While the very, very few cases of cars overheating on the street aren't make-believe, they are very rare and the result of isolated production issues that ALL cars have. I havent heard of any members claiming the car is "perfect", but it seems the majority of owners are really happy with their cars. Do some wish there were changes made, sure, just like I'm sure there are many Viper owners that have some gripes about their car. I don't track my car therefore I have zero issues with overheating but agree that for those that do, additional cooling MAY be necessary. Do I think GM NEEDS to "fix" something, no.
The percentage of threads here that deal with issues is way higher than it is on the Viper forums for sure, not certain about other manufacturers. That either means Corvette owners are just unhappy people who like to grumble or the car is less reliable and has more problems. GM needs to hear about this from customers, though as long as the C7 and the Z are selling the volume they are, I suspect nothing will change. No excuse for a 100K car that has the problems this one has.
Old 08-03-2015, 11:13 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
At highway speeds and the typical light throttle openings seen during that kind of driving the oil temp usually runs about the same temp or a little lower than the coolant temp. The oil temp gauge shown in the picture doesn't provide very good resolution of the actual oil temp but it is over 200 degrees (the meaning of the lines is a little hard to determine because they aren't equivalent with the ones below 200). It seems reasonable to assume the oil temp is not anywhere near 250 but we really can't be sure. However, assuming the oil temp is in the low 200s the coolant temp should be somewhere close to that and likely not more than 10 degrees higher. That indicates there could be a sensor issue.

Bill
I fully understand how to read the oil temp gauge and I don't have to assume the readings.

The lines from 100 to 200 are in 12.5 degree increments. From 200 to 320, the lines are in 15 degree increments.

Thus the oil temp gauge is showing 218-220 degrees, not 250 degrees as you assume.
Old 08-03-2015, 11:16 AM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Originally Posted by Hirohawa
Motor Trend is obviously Peanut Butter and Jealous. A bunch of C6 owning haters that can't afford the car. If the C7 Z06 really had a problem overheating there would be dozens and dozens of reports by now, and a sticky at the top of this forum with like 120 pages, 2,400 replies and a a hundred thousand views.

Nah. They're just Jelly Trolls. The fantastic Nurburgring time and all the trouble free track days have proven that this is truly "The Most Track Capable Corvette ever". It is so good that they didn't bother to make any changes or improvements to the 2016 model save for a decal set for the C7R edition.

Well done Tadge and co. A truly remarkable rollout for your six figure Halo car. Bravo! (Slow Golf clap ensues)

yeah kinda like there is no issue with the C6Z06...its all trolls and internet hype
Old 08-03-2015, 11:22 AM
ATC399
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 768 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by keagan
I'll take a overheating Z! Any takers? MT?
No.
Old 08-03-2015, 11:23 AM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Originally Posted by nhpln
When was your Z06 built? Curious to try to determine if GM made some unpublicized running changes during the 2015 MY.
Mine was a second concensus car delivered mid-December.
Old 08-03-2015, 11:29 AM
nhpln
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Poor-sha
Mine was a second concensus car delivered mid-December.
So almost at the beginning of the production run. Great to hear it's performing well
Old 08-03-2015, 11:38 AM
Lavender
Melting Slicks

Received 320 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by harlold
How would you spin a car Motor Trend is testing overheating positively?

And no where did I "hate" the car, good try though!
How would you spin Andy Pilgrim driving a C7Z in a high heat/humidity day along with other former pro drivers and not having any overheat issues whatsoever?
Old 08-03-2015, 12:00 PM
DaveN007
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Lavender
How would you spin Andy Pilgrim driving a C7Z in a high heat/humidity day along with other former pro drivers and not having any overheat issues whatsoever?
Not overheating isn't a story.

Considering the joy I get driving out on the street, I feel guilty mentioning that it would be nice to not worry about temps at the track. Maybe it is simply asking too much of a road car.

Old 08-03-2015, 12:02 PM
0D3PE
Former Vendor

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

We are currently looking for a car to develop a complete oil cooler system here in Houston Texas, its prime time hottest temps of the summer so shouldn't be an issue getting some great results.

If anyone knows someone please pm us or give us a ring at the shop.
Old 08-03-2015, 12:13 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

I'll just leave this here...

A Friday afternoon, rush hour traffic on I4 in downtown Orlando, temps of 98-100*. Was in this for at least an hour, cruising on the highway at ~75 mph, temps are typically in the low-190's for coolant/oil.
Things like this definitely make me think that some of these cooling issues are isolated and on a car by car basis. Very strange.
S.
Old 08-03-2015, 12:19 PM
reasonable suspicion
Melting Slicks

Received 324 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by Hirohawa
Motor Trend is obviously Peanut Butter and Jealous. A bunch of C6 owning haters that can't afford the car. If the C7 Z06 really had a problem overheating there would be dozens and dozens of reports by now, and a sticky at the top of this forum with like 120 pages, 2,400 replies and a a hundred thousand views.

Nah. They're just Jelly Trolls. The fantastic Nurburgring time and all the trouble free track days have proven that this is truly "The Most Track Capable Corvette ever". It is so good that they didn't bother to make any changes or improvements to the 2016 model save for a decal set for the C7R edition.

Well done Tadge and co. A truly remarkable rollout for your six figure Halo car. Bravo! (Slow Golf clap ensues)

Lolol
Old 08-03-2015, 12:28 PM
MavsAK
Melting Slicks

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Pretty obvious that something is wrong with that specific car.
If a C7Z can't survive traffic, it sure as hell wouldn't survive the pretty hard driving on track that several members on this forum do.

Get notified of new replies

To ZO6 overheating issues ***MEGA Merge***

Old 08-03-2015, 12:34 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Received 164 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Definitely an Anomaly!

Originally Posted by SBC_and_a_stick
Bravo Motortrend, honest reporting is tough to find nowadays. Still waiting on GM to implement a fix, day 220 of ownership.
They can be hard to track down and fix!
Old 08-03-2015, 01:05 PM
boogie00
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm new to the z06 so this is a scary issue for a person waiting for a car to be built. Will mine overheat or no? Looks like a roll of the dice, if it is a serious issue seems like a class action suit will come sooner or later to them if they don't fix.
Old 08-03-2015, 01:52 PM
truth.b
Drifting

Received 119 Likes on 91 Posts

Versus speculating what happed I asked a few questions and got a response to 1 on of them:

My opinion is there is something wrong going on with this car.

Quick Reply: ZO6 overheating issues ***MEGA Merge***