C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports
View Poll Results: If you've Overheated What is Your Stage Aero 1, 2 or 3
Stage 1 Aero
22.70%
Stage 2 Aero
20.98%
Stage 3 Aero
56.32%
Voters: 348. You may not vote on this poll

ZO6 overheating issues ***MEGA Merge***

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2015, 07:05 PM
Minkster
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by GP1224
It will be nice see the finished product that isnt from Home depot... like Hirohawa would have people believe... and how hard an install it is? Also nice that you have a pro driver to test drive the nuts off the Z with the added cooling pkg to see accurate results because it says so much more than if this had been done by an owner that cant come near a Pro drivers ability.

Staying tuned for the next part
If you want accurate (and meaningful) results, any "tests" should be conducted in conditions applicable to where overheating is being experienced, i.e., ambient temps greater than 86 deg F.
Old 10-14-2015, 09:07 PM
GP1224
Burning Brakes

Received 63 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Minkster
If you want accurate (and meaningful) results, any "tests" should be conducted in conditions applicable to where overheating is being experienced, i.e., ambient temps greater than 86 deg F.
Sure!
Old 10-15-2015, 09:09 PM
rsilver
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Minkster
Agreed. I think the maddog24 has several posts testing these mods in high 80's and low 90's. Check me on that but I am pretty sure. Some others like lawdogg have run with these mods too in higher temps.
Old 10-15-2015, 10:37 PM
Greg Quillen
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Mine been running what I call cool since 80% water with water wetter.. and removing weather strip. it usually never over 240 ECT and 260 OiL on hot days high 80 might hit low 90

But I looking into Header wrap (I have it already in the garage. Was for the motorcycle) unless I do ceramic coating like I do when i put in aftermarket headers.. That should help drop under hood temps. Should help ECT and OIL a lil bit. I might do radiator, heat exchanger, and oil cooler next year.
The cooler the ECT and Oil the less timing the car pulls..
In back to back video from session 1 (235 ECT) to session 4 (250 ECT) at poconos you could the loss speed on the straight. (Didnt have 80% water on yet at this time temps were 90 at end of day.)
Old 10-16-2015, 12:04 AM
Jeff Eikenberry
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by docf
I am ashamed to say how many Porsches I have owned through the years so I won't. I have owned 5 early Vettes as well and swore off them after 73, when quality issues to the extreme were present. This is a guy in the early years who thought St Louis was synonymous with heaven. Have not even entered a GM Dealership since that time. I'm back and have ordered a new Z06! The happenings occurred like this, entered the dealership with the intention of looking at a Z51, test drove it, then the wife said, why don't you order the new Z06 and I did! This is one that I am very excited about.
I had a similar experience buying my '15 Corvette. I was set to order a Z51 car, but when I showed my wife the Z06, she pondered both for few minutes, asking solid questions. Then she proclaimed that she liked the looks of the Z06 better and knew I liked horsepower. 4 1/2 months and 7,500 miles later and we continue to be both sold on the Z06. I should add that I've owned some nice cars in the past, include 8 prior Corvettes, but this is without a doubt the best all-around car we've owned. We get more compliments than any car before it, and what can you say to someone who is complimentary?........... you just agree.
Old 10-16-2015, 07:49 AM
GP1224
Burning Brakes

Received 63 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by rsilver
Agreed. I think the maddog24 has several posts testing these mods in high 80's and low 90's. Check me on that but I am pretty sure. Some others like lawdogg have run with these mods too in higher temps.
Then the mods just help that much more. Regardless, doing track day events in the 90s is just torture for a FI 650hp street car. Greasy track and every part of the car is screaming. Some on here racing in 100 PLUS?

Getting all that air from the front right on the oil cooler while blocking the radiant heat transfer from the cats is exactly what the Z needs.... and for under $300 with the new kit its well worth doing.
Old 10-16-2015, 09:14 PM
Mad Dog 24
Drifting

Location: Syracuse-Central Square New York Winer of the all Corvette race WGI 8/23!
Received 365 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by GP1224
Then the mods just help that much more. Regardless, doing track day events in the 90s is just torture for a FI 650hp street car. Greasy track and every part of the car is screaming. Some on here racing in 100 PLUS?

Getting all that air from the front right on the oil cooler while blocking the radiant heat transfer from the cats is exactly what the Z needs.... and for under $300 with the new kit its well worth doing.
GP, Here is what I posted a while back on the mods done to Mad Dog. Any questions PM me. We have some new ideas for 2016 season to add. Hopefully time and access to the car in the winter will work out.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...4&goto=newpost
Old 10-17-2015, 09:12 PM
rsilver
Racer

Originally Posted by Mad Dog 24
GP, Here is what I posted a while back on the mods done to Mad Dog. Any questions PM me. We have some new ideas for 2016 season to add. Hopefully time and access to the car in the winter will work out.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...4&goto=newpost
Maddog, glad you guys are still coming up with ideas. I ran my Z at HPR in Colorado yesterday. Ambient temp 72-73. But the instructor and I saw oil in the 275 range and coolant @ 255. No warnings and no PS problems. I was shifting the A8 at around 6000. I do not have the cat shields or the air hose going to the oil cooler yet but hope that will make a difference . Heard from Dan from design engineering on friday but I couldn't get back to him. Hope the cat shields are ready as I may have a chance to run the car next Friday. I ran with the weather strip IN and the ductwork and restrictor OUT. I should have tried it the other way around just to see what effect on temps if any. AT least no PS problems but it was pretty cool out.

For A8 guys, we definitely need a new calibration for the trans that brings the shift point down into the 5500 to 6000 RPM range. I have mentioned this before but if short shifting at say 5800 is what keeps the A8 cooler, then a new algo with lower rpm shift point would still give you all the torque and about 600hp according to GM dyno graphs. There was another Z at the track who I have seen before and the owner makes a lot of after market parts for corvettes that he markets through other companies. He does not over heat in his M7 but shifts at 6K and is a real smooth driver. He had been thinking about the same thing on the A8 ie new calibration FWIW. Don't know how to get GM to do it, but would be nice addition to their GMPP calibrations which already include the rough track calibration. I don't mind shifting, but the current Algo is just sick and if it could be set up for track and also, as is for street or drag racing, that would be a huge improvement for the A8 guys.
Old 10-17-2015, 09:21 PM
axr6
Pro

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

Maddog, glad you guys are still coming up with ideas. I ran my Z at HPR in Colorado yesterday. Ambient temp 72-73. But the instructor and I saw oil in the 275 range and coolant @ 255. No warnings and no PS problems. I was shifting the A8 at around 6000. I do not have the cat shields or the air hose going to the oil cooler yet but hope that will make a difference . Heard from Dan from design engineering on friday but I couldn't get back to him. Hope the cat shields are ready as I may have a chance to run the car next Friday. I ran with the weather strip IN and the ductwork and restrictor OUT. I should have tried it the other way around just to see what effect on temps if any. AT least no PS problems but it was pretty cool out.

For A8 guys, we definitely need a new calibration for the trans that brings the shift point down into the 5500 to 6000 RPM range. I have mentioned this before but if short shifting at say 5800 is what keeps the A8 cooler, then a new algo with lower rpm shift point would still give you all the torque and about 600hp according to GM dyno graphs. There was another Z at the track who I have seen before and the owner makes a lot of after market parts for corvettes that he markets through other companies. He does not over heat in his M7 but shifts at 6K and is a real smooth driver. He had been thinking about the same thing on the A8 ie new calibration FWIW. Don't know how to get GM to do it, but would be nice addition to their GMPP calibrations which already include the rough track calibration. I don't mind shifting, but the current Algo is just sick and if it could be set up for track and also, as is for street or drag racing, that would be a huge improvement for the A8 guys.

Good to hear that you could run without being shut down by heat issues. Having said that, IMO, 255 coolant is still way too hot, you are on the ragged edge of overheat warning.

I purchased the 3' tube+fittings and will call DEI Monday, regarding the shield. Have not installed the 3' tube, yet. I am simply waiting for the oil cooler package to be marketed, hopefully way before next spring. I still believe that will be the solution, either by itself or, in combination with a more efficient coolant radiator.
Old 10-19-2015, 01:22 PM
Mad Dog 24
Drifting

Location: Syracuse-Central Square New York Winer of the all Corvette race WGI 8/23!

Rsilver and AXR hope you guys get a chance to install the cat covers and cooling hose before the end of the season. I really like to hear how other cars do with those mods other than mine. Were getting snow in the north east so season is over

On my way back from FL this weekend I noticed a huge differential between coolant temps and oil which I usually never pay attention to on the street. I took a pic and can see the coolant at 190 and oil at 172 this was on the high way after hours of driving. If I remember before mods the oil was higher than the coolant most of the time. Now I rarely see the oil at coolant temp levels but usually just below. What's a stock car run on the street aren't they much closer or oil higher?

I would expect the cat covers and cooling hose to help on the track but may be showing up on the street as well, cool.. no pun intended!

I know the tire pressure light was on, I had the tires on the low side for the long ride.
Old 10-19-2015, 03:35 PM
axr6
Pro

Rsilver and AXR hope you guys get a chance to install the cat covers and cooling hose before the end of the season. I really like to hear how other cars do with those mods other than mine. Were getting snow in the north east so season is over

On my way back from FL this weekend I noticed a huge differential between coolant temps and oil which I usually never pay attention to on the street. I took a pic and can see the coolant at 190 and oil at 172 this was on the high way after hours of driving. If I remember before mods the oil was higher than the coolant most of the time. Now I rarely see the oil at coolant temp levels but usually just below. What's a stock car run on the street aren't they much closer or oil higher?

I would expect the cat covers and cooling hose to help on the track but may be showing up on the street as well, cool.. no pun intended!

I know the tire pressure light was on, I had the tires on the low side for the long ride.
I've never seen the oil temps being that much lower than the coolant! Generally, while cruising, they are both roughly the same. I called Dan at DEI regarding the shield; apparently it is still a few weeks before it may be available.
Old 10-20-2015, 01:05 AM
DLC7
Drifting

Received 107 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by axr6
I've never seen the oil temps being that much lower than the coolant! Generally, while cruising, they are both roughly the same. I called Dan at DEI regarding the shield; apparently it is still a few weeks before it may be available.
When it becomes available please post and let us know. I understand/hear that the DEI product won't fall apart after being subjected to repeated heat cycles.
Old 10-20-2015, 12:51 PM
axr6
Pro

Originally Posted by DLC7
When it becomes available please post and let us know. I understand/hear that the DEI product won't fall apart after being subjected to repeated heat cycles.
Will do.
Old 10-20-2015, 01:04 PM
Mad Dog 24
Drifting

Originally Posted by DLC7
Your right the cat covers are extremely durable. We have over 4k on the first set along with some hot track time and absolutely no signs of breaking down. Please post some pics of the new ones I like to see the changes they made from mine.
Old 10-20-2015, 03:55 PM
dallasw77
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Count me in for a set!
Old 10-20-2015, 08:15 PM
rsilver
Racer

Your right the cat covers are extremely durable. We have over 4k on the first set along with some hot track time and absolutely no signs of breaking down. Please post some pics of the new ones I like to see the changes they made from mine.
Dan called me today and is overnighting me a set to check for fitment. I will get them on by the weekend but will not be able to test at HPR because of fuc*king snow up here. Its going to be in the 60's down there anyway, so all I will be able to do is check fitment. They are headed to SEMA and wanted to make sure they fit ok before they officially market the product. I will let you guys know how it goes and post pics. Its supposed to be a quick job, but I'm the guy who loses a bolt and then spends an hour looking for it. Been that way since high school. Ha. Point is, If they go on ok for me and the fitment looks good for me, then they are good to go. Will advise
Old 10-21-2015, 08:36 PM
davetx
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cut Power

I might be a little late. On 7/16/15 while at Spring Mountain for the driving class I was driving an automatic Z06 pushing it hard and I experience a distinct loss of power due to overheating. I slowed down by reducing my revs and was able to recover. I am hoping that GM comes out with a mod to restore what we thought, led to believe, and ordered and paid for. I have since experienced similar problems with my personal C7 automatic.

Dave Coughlin

Get notified of new replies

To ZO6 overheating issues ***MEGA Merge***

Old 10-21-2015, 11:58 PM
MaynardZed
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by davetx
I might be a little late. On 7/16/15 while at Spring Mountain for the driving class I was driving an automatic Z06 pushing it hard and I experience a distinct loss of power due to overheating. I slowed down by reducing my revs and was able to recover. I am hoping that GM comes out with a mod to restore what we thought, led to believe, and ordered and paid for. I have since experienced similar problems with my personal C7 automatic.

Dave Coughlin
The cars that are at driving schools are beaten on seriously by intermediate drivers with some nannies on usually. I think it would be best to throw these examples out for overheating examples.

Even the new M3/4 which I know for a fact is very well cooled for the track form factory has experienced overheating problems in back to back sessions at the BMW performance center in Thermal, CA.
Old 10-22-2015, 06:35 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

I posted this in its own thread but it appear to have gone largely unnoticed. Since it's relevant to this topic I am reposting in this thread. This does seem to lend credence to the issue being airflow and not the radiator itself.

I was just at the dealer and apparently GM Performance Parts has released an upgraded radiator fan for the base and Z51.

"Developed by the Chevrolet Performance engineers, this performance 600 watt radiator was designed specifically to meet the Z06's track cooling requirements. The additional power, up from the base 500 watt system, raises the fan speed resulting in improved airflow and cooling."

Part number: 23376530

So what does this tell me? First of all that GM did try to improve the cooling system of the Z06 over the Z51/base car. Second, that the cooling fan must be running at track speeds to improve airflow to the radiator and is not cut off at a certain speed like some had suggested. Finally, that GM is at least investigating the cooling issues and trying to offer solutions.
The following users liked this post:
Izzy1000 (10-23-2015)
Old 10-22-2015, 11:30 PM
DLC7
Drifting

Received 107 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Poor-sha
I posted this in its own thread but it appear to have gone largely unnoticed. Since it's relevant to this topic I am reposting in this thread. This does seem to lend credence to the issue being airflow and not the radiator itself.

I was just at the dealer and apparently GM Performance Parts has released an upgraded radiator fan for the base and Z51.

"Developed by the Chevrolet Performance engineers, this performance 600 watt radiator was designed specifically to meet the Z06's track cooling requirements. The additional power, up from the base 500 watt system, raises the fan speed resulting in improved airflow and cooling."

Part number: 23376530

So what does this tell me? First of all that GM did try to improve the cooling system of the Z06 over the Z51/base car. Second, that the cooling fan must be running at track speeds to improve airflow to the radiator and is not cut off at a certain speed like some had suggested. Finally, that GM is at least investigating the cooling issues and trying to offer solutions.

^^^^^ This is news! Good news! Any details on cost?

Quick Reply: ZO6 overheating issues ***MEGA Merge***