C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports
View Poll Results: If you've Overheated What is Your Stage Aero 1, 2 or 3
Stage 1 Aero
22.70%
Stage 2 Aero
20.98%
Stage 3 Aero
56.32%
Voters: 348. You may not vote on this poll

ZO6 overheating issues ***MEGA Merge***

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2015, 10:27 AM
bub
Safety Car

Received 198 Likes on 122 Posts

A bit off topic, but when was the change from aluminum to carbon fiber on the 4 corner chassis brace bars (as shown in the video) made? My early '15 (VIN# 01515) is aluminum for these braces.

Last edited by bub; 12-31-2015 at 10:31 AM.
Old 12-31-2015, 02:21 PM
Mad Dog 24
Drifting

Location: Syracuse-Central Square New York Winer of the all Corvette race WGI 8/23!
Received 365 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by bub
A bit off topic, but when was the change from aluminum to carbon fiber on the 4 corner chassis brace bars (as shown in the video) made? My early '15 (VIN# 01515) is aluminum for these braces.
I believe the CF is an option to purchase through GM not standard. My late build 2015 Z is aluminum also which I prefer.
Old 01-05-2016, 09:38 AM
urslooow
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Has anyone tried to get this aux water cooler installed? if so how much for parts? labor? thx
Old 01-05-2016, 10:32 AM
urslooow
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Mad Dog 24
Tony, I don't think GM has done anything on the overheating issue and probably wont to a great extent. There are not enough of us with issues and if its street then no worries.

Don't let this heat thing keep you from buying one of the fastest, best handling street\track cars built!!! For some effort and a few dollars in mods the issue can be minimized or eliminated. Everything you will need to mod it will be discussed in depth here-free!

Rsilver, I think the cat covers should stay long, the more restriction of radiation the better. DEI's decision in the end. Mine are fairly long and still get air flow fine I don't really care what they look like. Frogs and worms wont mind!!!
Aren't the cats left exposed b/c they need some airflow around them? My 2016z has the pipe leading to the cats heat wrapped from factory. thx

Last edited by urslooow; 01-05-2016 at 10:42 AM.
Old 01-20-2016, 07:54 PM
Mad Dog 24
Drifting

Location: Syracuse-Central Square New York Winer of the all Corvette race WGI 8/23!
Received 365 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by urslooow
Aren't the cats left exposed b/c they need some airflow around them? My 2016z has the pipe leading to the cats heat wrapped from factory. thx
Interesting, If you get the chance post a few pics I like to see the diff from the 15 to 16 Zs. With the DEI covers they have stand off brackets that allow air to pass thru.
Old 01-25-2016, 11:29 AM
Gomer
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Sorry to ask, I did look but this thread is huge.

Anyone have the GM Part# for the secondary radiator?

I found what I think is the 600 watt fan, Part# 23376530 but what I am looking for is the secondary radiator that I think was announced at SEMA.

Thanks!
Old 01-25-2016, 11:46 AM
garychurch
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

The secondary radiator was announced at SEMA. There are pics on one of the threads with the part number.

The Z06 already has a 600 watt radiator fan and no fan is required for the secondary radiator which lies flat in from of the primary radiator.
Old 01-25-2016, 02:08 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by Gomer
Sorry to ask, I did look but this thread is huge.

Anyone have the GM Part# for the secondary radiator?

I found what I think is the 600 watt fan, Part# 23376530 but what I am looking for is the secondary radiator that I think was announced at SEMA.

Thanks!
Here you go, Paul.
http://www.trunkmonkeyparts.com/corv...8/?parent=1163

GM part #84037858, MSRP is $895.
S.
Old 02-02-2016, 07:23 AM
Bravo Killo
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This thread is ridicules! First 40 pages should be removed, I think everyone has their own opinion of Porsche vs Corvette, but that shouldn't be hashed out in a Tech Thread IMHO.

Some one that has been following this thread since at least page 42, should update and compile where we stand, IE; what we have found out so far that is causing the overheat (cooling capacity, lack of air flow, components mounted next to super hot exhaust components) and what is out there in the works for fixes (Dewitt radiator, LG aux radiator system, GM aux radiator, wrapping cats) and post updated results of what works.

Seems to me that a better/bigger cooling system is the avenue that everyone seem to be going down, has anyone installed the Dewitt radiator? is there any updated info for it?
BK.

Last edited by Bravo Killo; 02-03-2016 at 10:17 AM. Reason: grammer and spelling
Old 02-02-2016, 09:04 AM
energystar
Advanced

Originally Posted by Bravo Killo
This thread is ridicules! First 40 pages should be removed, I think everyone has their own opinion of Porsche vs Corvette, but that shouldn't be hashed out in a Tech Thread IMHO.

Some one that has been following this thread since at least page 42, should update and compile where we stand, IE; what we have found out so far that is causing the overheat (cooling capacity, lack of air flow, components mounted next to super hot exhaust components) and what is out there in the works for fixes (De witte radiator, LG aux radiator system, GM aux radiator, wrapping cats) and post updated results of what works.

Seems to me that a better/bigger cooling system is the avenue that everyone seem going down, has anyone installed the De witte radiator? is there any updated info for it?
BK.
you are absolutely right...maybe the forum could start a new post and name it as part of the original and state that the post have to be about the issue only.
Old 02-02-2016, 09:32 PM
0Tom@Dewitt
Former Vendor

Received 627 Likes on 324 Posts

DeWitts
Old 02-03-2016, 10:20 AM
Bravo Killo
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Tom DeWitt
DeWitts
Sorry Tom, I stand corrected, Dewitt radiator....

any new input/Data?
Old 02-03-2016, 07:11 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,404 Likes on 1,374 Posts

Originally Posted by energystar
you are absolutely right...maybe the forum could start a new post and name it as part of the original and state that the post have to be about the issue only.
I tried to recap and start over once. It didn't go so well.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ng-issues.html
Old 02-04-2016, 05:22 AM
Bravo Killo
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Poor-sha
I tried to recap and start over once. It didn't go so well.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ng-issues.html
They should unstick this thread and sticky yours, at least yours stays on track with the issue, just needs to be updated.

Still no update on radiator swap? has anyone upgraded just the radiator and logged runs to compare data?

Last edited by Bravo Killo; 02-04-2016 at 05:23 AM.
Old 02-04-2016, 11:04 AM
garychurch
Advanced

I did two days at Sebring in the Z06 with the Z07 track package with ambient temps in the 90s.

I did have some problems related to an oil change overfill. Remember there are TWO drain plugs not one. Forget one and you have an oil ingestion problem that plagued me for a day and a half with a ambient pressure sensor fouled from oil in the intake. This problem caused the supercharger to shut down at higher RPMs. It was eventually fixed by a great Corvette Dealer, Alan Jay, in Sebring with no permanent damage. The Corvette mechanic I worked with, Dave, was incredible - kudos to Dave and Alan Jay!

I ended up with an afternoon running the A8 with the paddle shifters and doing laps with shift about 6,000 RPM with the air temps in the low 90s. The new DeWill radiator specifically for the Z06 A8 did a very commendable job - no overheating with temps no higher than 280 or so. I will pull the PDR and look at the data next week for the specifics. Unfortunately I did not hammer the car to max redline for multiple laps (i.e., six or more) so I really don't know how effective the DeWitt radiator will be. But I am certainly very encouraged, because until this event I would have believed I needed a supplemental oil cooler as well. Now I am not so sure.

I will be at VIR in mid-March and have another chance to put the Z06 through its paces. By the way for those that are interested it looks like a set of Cup 2s and a set of CCB brake pads (Pagid now has RSC1's available for a lot less than Corvette OEMs) are needed to take you comfortably through a couple of track days. That's $3,000 plus $500 in 98 to 100 LL fuel. Who said this was cheap?
Old 02-04-2016, 12:57 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by garychurch
I did two days at Sebring in the Z06 with the Z07 track package with ambient temps in the 90s.

I did have some problems related to an oil change overfill. Remember there are TWO drain plugs not one. Forget one and you have an oil ingestion problem that plagued me for a day and a half with a ambient pressure sensor fouled from oil in the intake. This problem caused the supercharger to shut down at higher RPMs. It was eventually fixed by a great Corvette Dealer, Alan Jay, in Sebring with no permanent damage. The Corvette mechanic I worked with, Dave, was incredible - kudos to Dave and Alan Jay!

I ended up with an afternoon running the A8 with the paddle shifters and doing laps with shift about 6,000 RPM with the air temps in the low 90s. The new DeWill radiator specifically for the Z06 A8 did a very commendable job - no overheating with temps no higher than 280 or so. I will pull the PDR and look at the data next week for the specifics. Unfortunately I did not hammer the car to max redline for multiple laps (i.e., six or more) so I really don't know how effective the DeWitt radiator will be. But I am certainly very encouraged, because until this event I would have believed I needed a supplemental oil cooler as well. Now I am not so sure.

I will be at VIR in mid-March and have another chance to put the Z06 through its paces. By the way for those that are interested it looks like a set of Cup 2s and a set of CCB brake pads (Pagid now has RSC1's available for a lot less than Corvette OEMs) are needed to take you comfortably through a couple of track days. That's $3,000 plus $500 in 98 to 100 LL fuel. Who said this was cheap?
When was this, and was this the 2nd generation Dewitt radiator? Any idea of your pace?
I've always been of the opinion that a more robust radiator was all that was needed for high ambient temp (90+) use.
S.
Old 02-04-2016, 01:01 PM
garychurch
Advanced

Yes, it is a new DeWitt design. You can contact John Dingman for additional information. Lap time at Sebring in the 2:20s this week.

Get notified of new replies

To ZO6 overheating issues ***MEGA Merge***

Old 02-04-2016, 01:34 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by garychurch
Yes, it is a new DeWitt design. You can contact John Dingman for additional information. Lap time at Sebring in the 2:20s this week.
Thanks. I'm guessing you were there on Tuesday and or Wednesday with David Murry. Wish I could run with them but the schedule never seems to fit mine.
S.
Old 02-04-2016, 05:40 PM
peterjank
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Bravo Killo
Still no update on radiator swap? has anyone upgraded just the radiator and logged runs to compare data?
Yes, I updated to the Ron Davis radiator and reported results here:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-radiator.html
Old 02-07-2016, 04:04 PM
2cnd Chance
Melting Slicks

Received 977 Likes on 533 Posts

I don't know if someone else mentioned this or not, but during the Daytona 24 race the interview with Mark Reuss he mentioned Aero and twice Thermo as to what they're learning to bring back to the production Z06.

Quick Reply: ZO6 overheating issues ***MEGA Merge***