C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports
View Poll Results: If you've Overheated What is Your Stage Aero 1, 2 or 3
Stage 1 Aero
22.70%
Stage 2 Aero
20.98%
Stage 3 Aero
56.32%
Voters: 348. You may not vote on this poll

ZO6 overheating issues ***MEGA Merge***

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2016, 08:25 PM
thebishman
Melting Slicks

Received 739 Likes on 484 Posts

Originally Posted by Deuuuce
Curious, how rapid are the downshifts in the A8? And how responsive are the upshifts from paddle pull to the next gear engagement?
Depends on the mode and how aggressively you're driving. On the street I drive in Sport and am very happy with the way the A8 changes gear both in 'A' and 'M' mode. On the road course I'm in Track, Sport 2 or Race mode, and upsifts and downshifts are extremely fast; much faster than I could change gear in the M7 and I've had loads of experience in manuals.

Bish
The following users liked this post:
chevyfanatic (12-03-2016)
Old 11-17-2016, 09:55 AM
Thomasmoto
Race Director

Received 1,507 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Default shifts

Originally Posted by thebishman
Depends on the mode and how aggressively you're driving. On the street I drive in Sport and am very happy with the way the A8 changes gear both in 'A' and 'M' mode. On the road course I'm in Track, Sport 2 or Race mode, and upsifts and downshifts are extremely fast; much faster than I could change gear in the M7 and I've had loads of experience in manuals.

Bish
This has been my experience as well. And even if I'm shifting manually while in "Tour" mode the shifts are a little delayed and much softer, but the more aggressive the driving the more responsive the car is. It adapts to your driving style.
Old 11-18-2016, 02:07 PM
LS7Vet
Heel & Toe

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by c4t
yea figured it was that(specially when it burns a little over half a tank in just 20 mins), no one believes the car is completely stock and shoots those flames for so long. I guess its an expensive cool factor lol. BTW its a manual transmission and other than the overheating issues I love it on the track.
With FI your cats wouldn't make it 10 minutes without that extra fuel.

The Z06 is a BEAST on the track until it does its thing. I see more of them during the cooler months and have yet to see one return a second time outside of NOV-APR. The A8's with some experience behind them overheat within a few laps, even the Stingrays. 650 SAE HP (well north of 700 by STD) coupled to a fluid drive is a recipe for disaster.

Here is a Z06 running 2:21 on street tires. A guy I personally know has run 2:21 on MPSS's without a single mod. The car with a competent driver will absolutely crush/dominate anything south of a GT3 Cup Car.

C8 data fwiw:

Four years ago, Chevrolet Corvette manual-transmission supplier Tremec aspired to achieve greater global reach. Instead of reinventing the helical gear to enter the thriving dual-clutch automatic transmission (DCT) business, this Mexico-based manufacturer simply shopped for a company that already possessed the expertise it needed. Tremec was drawn to Hoerbiger Drivetrain Mechatronics because of that Belgian firm’s proven relationships with Mercedes-AMG, Ferrari, and McLaren. A deal was cut and Tremec now owns Hoerbiger lock, stock, and gear hobber.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/everyth...-transmission/

Last edited by LS7Vet; 11-18-2016 at 02:11 PM.
Old 11-18-2016, 02:16 PM
DLC7
Drifting

Received 107 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Fastmikefree
No one got his 2017 Z06 M7 as yet? Will be interested in feedback to see if GM solution is working or not?

interested about this as well. Also interested in hearing about SC swap program Tadge talked about a while back. Whatever became of that?
​​​
Old 11-18-2016, 04:37 PM
Thomasmoto
Race Director

So has anyone fixed the problem just by changing the radiator? If so,what kind?
Old 11-18-2016, 07:57 PM
thebishman
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Thomasmoto
No; unfortunately.
Old 11-18-2016, 11:40 PM
Thomasmoto
Race Director

Default Radiator

Originally Posted by thebishman
No; unfortunately.
I talked to Griffin Radiators at SEMA and they claim to have one. I'll see what I can find out.
Old 11-19-2016, 06:44 AM
LS7Vet
Heel & Toe

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Thomasmoto
From my understanding its a function of:

Latent heat buildup due to the compact design of a faster spinning, smaller blower shoved into the valley of a V8.

Knock retard after heat saturation of the induction system during high intake temperatures

Catalytic overheat protection which is actually an alogarithm within the ECU and assumed temperature

High coolant temperatures

^^ All this from the guys that have or had them, some have had them bought back, others sold them or traded them in for other makes- typically Porsche.

I was very interested in this thread as a serious track addict with a C6Z I wanted the newer, stiffer suspension and power of the C7Z. Ain't gonna happen. GT350 before this thing, probably a new GT4 or used GT3.
The following users liked this post:
C7_Z06 (11-29-2016)
Old 11-19-2016, 10:07 AM
Mad Dog 24
Drifting

Location: Syracuse-Central Square New York Winer of the all Corvette race WGI 8/23!
Received 365 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by LS7Vet
From my understanding its a function of:

Latent heat buildup due to the compact design of a faster spinning, smaller blower shoved into the valley of a V8.

Knock retard after heat saturation of the induction system during high intake temperatures

Catalytic overheat protection which is actually an alogarithm within the ECU and assumed temperature

High coolant temperatures

^^ All this from the guys that have or had them, some have had them bought back, others sold them or traded them in for other makes- typically Porsche.

I was very interested in this thread as a serious track addict with a C6Z I wanted the newer, stiffer suspension and power of the C7Z. Ain't gonna happen. GT350 before this thing, probably a new GT4 or used GT3.
That's to bad I really think your missing out. With a M7 a few minor mods and good track prep very few have any overheat issues. The C7 Z is a fantastic track car as is the C6. Most hard driven C6s have a few temp mods done to them as I see at every event. This includes Mustangs, Porsche, Bimmers and most everything.

After reading thousands of threads on this subject there seems to be two different groups here. The first is those hell bent on knocking the new C7 complaining at every opportunity but do nothing to very little solving or to help the problem. Then the 2nd group. Using this forum and its fantastic group if hi tech companies and intelligent individuals to mod their cars to preform as they need. Group 2 tries different ideas to see what works and what doesn't and posts here to help others. We must remember we are talking about a sports car built by one of the largest manufactures in the world for the mass

BTW I don't believe any aftermarket radiator will make much difference as the front air inlet is to small. Only so much air can pass thru the opening. But if it helps by 5 degrees and something else helps by 3 and something else by 6 it all adds up a the end of the day.
Old 11-19-2016, 11:00 PM
DLC7
Drifting

Respectfully, but emphatically disagree. Since buying my Z, and after ridding myself of it after frequent multiple failures, and spending, oh maybe 90% of my free time at WSIR, SOW,ACS, and Buttonwillow since, its pretty apparent the 15MY and 16MY have serious issues.

Don't get me wrong, when I see posts from very serious, seasoned drivers, who have not had problems, sure......but they all required mods to fix GM' s screw up, and had to pay for said mods.

Mods = denial of warranty. They won't fix it on GM's dime, just yours. Than u essentially have no warranty for track usage. That puts the owner between a rock and a hard place. And it's saves GM lots of $$$ (the whole point)

So.....it's like GM saying, we warranty our Vettes for track use, but not really, because you have to MOD the chyte out of it to make it run consistently.

And don't kid yourselves guys. Seasoned drivers will be able to short shift and practice thermal management from a driver perspective. Newer drivers will just flat out overheat. Track side I have observed it way to many times. A8 or M7.....

Last edited by DLC7; 11-19-2016 at 11:04 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by DLC7:
C7_Z06 (11-29-2016), Dabigsnake (11-20-2016)
Old 11-20-2016, 10:17 AM
Dabigsnake
Pro

Received 106 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by DLC7
Respectfully, but emphatically disagree. Since buying my Z, and after ridding myself of it after frequent multiple failures, and spending, oh maybe 90% of my free time at WSIR, SOW,ACS, and Buttonwillow since, its pretty apparent the 15MY and 16MY have serious issues.

Don't get me wrong, when I see posts from very serious, seasoned drivers, who have not had problems, sure......but they all required mods to fix GM' s screw up, and had to pay for said mods.

Mods = denial of warranty. They won't fix it on GM's dime, just yours. Than u essentially have no warranty for track usage. That puts the owner between a rock and a hard place. And it's saves GM lots of $$$ (the whole point)

So.....it's like GM saying, we warranty our Vettes for track use, but not really, because you have to MOD the chyte out of it to make it run consistently.

And don't kid yourselves guys. Seasoned drivers will be able to short shift and practice thermal management from a driver perspective. Newer drivers will just flat out overheat. Track side I have observed it way to many times. A8 or M7.....

I agree. Seems my driving ability has been validated by my overheating my 15 A8. I didn't want to void my warranty, and help GM's image by modding my cooling etc., so, I make one well documented complaint. GM gave me a new 2017, that is to Ave some cooling improvements. I'll find out shortly if I can overheat it in cool temps, or if it will go down on power as my 15 did in cooler temps.
Old 11-20-2016, 10:27 AM
Mad Dog 24
Drifting

Location: Syracuse-Central Square New York Winer of the all Corvette race WGI 8/23!
Received 365 Likes on 257 Posts

I to respect others respective findings and moves but will never fully understand. I guess we all come from a different cloth. In the perfect world we would fuel up our beast, drive like hell sun up to sun down with out a glitch, be fast, go home and park it!

I come to expect mods are part of the game to win from an experience I loved (wining) and hated (losing) back in the late 80's and early 90's. I was a co-owner and tuner of a Polaris sponsored snowmobile drag race team for grass an ice. In stock class Polaris would send us a limited production qualifying sled to run the season. Race prep and mods for that sled equaled our Pro stock and improved stocks every season. This experience taught me the most important part of competing at a high level. Its all in the details.

Our new stock 600 class sled was completely disassembled for modding to compete and ultimately win. We CC'd the heads within factory specs, check the engine and exhaust for manufacture burs and other imperfections, always found many, shaved the track to the lug minimum, added 100's of studs, replaced suspension and ski runners, aligned the track and skis, plumbed a cool down system and much more. This all sounds so familiar with what some do to track our Z's now in 2016. To me I have come to expect mods are a part of life but as I do understand not to all
Old 11-25-2016, 06:27 AM
dead of night
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Does the Z overheat in stop and go traffic?
Old 11-25-2016, 07:51 AM
jcthorne
Drifting

Received 434 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by dead of night
NO. Not even warm.
The following 2 users liked this post by jcthorne:
dead of night (11-25-2016), Ruger Brian (11-25-2016)
Old 11-25-2016, 01:34 PM
DLC7
Drifting

Originally Posted by dead of night
No. Only an issue on track.
Old 11-27-2016, 06:37 PM
2fastnow
Burning Brakes

Received 90 Likes on 71 Posts

What does it look like with that charger cover off? I can't find any views on the net except odd cutaways, thanks
Old 11-28-2016, 05:39 PM
Deuuuce
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Anything announced or anyone experience the problem with a 2017? I'd like to stay current and correctly informed on this.

Get notified of new replies

To ZO6 overheating issues ***MEGA Merge***

Old 11-29-2016, 09:34 AM
C7_Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 45 Posts

I'd also like to know if the Manual 2017 Z06 do not have reliability or temperamental issues specifically on the track and more specifically by intermediate/advance "solo" drivers out there. I am not buying another one only to encounter limp mode after 12-15 mins of fast laps. GM voluntarily bought back my '15 Z06 this past April and while I do want a Z06 again, if indeed all issues are resolved, I just don't want to experience this again... especially since neither of my other bone-stock cars go into limp mode even after 45 mins of continuous fast laps.
Old 11-29-2016, 07:59 PM
thebishman
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by C7_Z06
I'd also like to know if the Manual 2017 Z06 do not have reliability or temperamental issues specifically on the track and more specifically by intermediate/advance "solo" drivers out there. I am not buying another one only to encounter limp mode after 12-15 mins of fast laps. GM voluntarily bought back my '15 Z06 this past April and while I do want a Z06 again, if indeed all issues are resolved, I just don't want to experience this again... especially since neither of my other bone-stock cars go into limp mode even after 45 mins of continuous fast laps.
There have been very few reports of major overheating/limp mode issues in the M7 car equipped with the secondary water radiator, which is now standard on the 2017 cars.
Old 11-30-2016, 05:04 PM
mousemaster
Heel & Toe

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Default Dual Clutch

So the decision to put an automatic transmission in the ZO6 is proving to be the Achilles heel for the car. At some point the decision was made to go with an auto verses a DCT (which everyone else is using). So the patch work engineering fixes continue with the latest iteration of coolers and vents. This entire problem and the negativity that accompanies it could have been completely avoided with a Dual Clutch Transmission.

I am still disappointed that the latest "FIX" is still not completely solving the slush boxes' problem. While Chevy brags about lowering the M7 temperatures we are not sure that those numbers will solve the problem or does it merely delay it? As they note, the auto box is still not completely solved (translation: buyer beware). It will take at least a year to get summertime track data from the southwest and by then C7 will be yesterdays problem for GM.

There are too many other choices out there, new and used, to risk such a substantial amount of money on something that could turn out to not be fixed.

Really, a dual clutch would have been so much better.

Quick Reply: ZO6 overheating issues ***MEGA Merge***