C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports
View Poll Results: If you've Overheated What is Your Stage Aero 1, 2 or 3
Stage 1 Aero
22.70%
Stage 2 Aero
20.98%
Stage 3 Aero
56.32%
Voters: 348. You may not vote on this poll

ZO6 overheating issues ***MEGA Merge***

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2017, 01:34 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Originally Posted by JDrew
I am sure you all heard about this Class Action filed June over the overheating. Just in case, here is an article .....

https://www.hbsslaw.com/cases/corvet...g-on-the-track
Yes, I'm familiar with it and I think it's garbage. I put over 120 track hours on my 2015 and never overheated it with the secondary radiator. All this suit is going to do is make GM go defensive and make them less likely to want to offer a kit because it'll be seen as admitting to something. A bunch of lawyers might get a truckload of money and the owners will get little or nothing even if the suit goes through.
The following users liked this post:
BlackMoon (09-05-2017)
Old 08-20-2017, 05:08 PM
cmichels1999
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Summarize Options

I am an owner of a 2008 C6 Z51 M6 and track my vehicle a few times each year.

I am looking at upgrading to a C7 Z06 M7. In trying to understand my options, I read through and searched this thread. I did some internet searches. Lastly, I read through the LG Motorsport cooling system thread. Below is my understanding of my options if I wish to continue to track with a Corvette. Will anyone confirm if my understating is correct please?

1. Do nothing and stick with my C6 as it is still a ton of fun

2. Purchase a 2015-2016 Z06 M7 leave the super-charger alone. Get the GM retro fix installed and count on needing to do one the following in addition to the GM retro fix:
a. Purchase LG Motorsport cooling package: https://www.lgmotorsports.com/corvet...k-package.html
b. Purchase the GSpeed cooling package: https://gspeed.com/product/c7-z06-cooling-stage-ii/

3. Purchase a 2015-2016 Z06 M7 and use a after market shop like Lingenfelter to switch out the supercharger (not sure which of these packages I would need): http://www.lingenfelter.com/category...4_2015-16.html

4. Purchase a 2017-later Z06 M7 and hope that I am a cruddy enough driver to not push it to the overheat limits or that I am one of the lucky ones where it doesn't over heat (from what I understand these two are not independent).

5. Purchase a C7 Grand Sport and go with a package like the Lingenfelter ones listed in option three.

Is my understanding correct or am I
Old 08-20-2017, 05:50 PM
okaythen
Melting Slicks

Received 166 Likes on 148 Posts

From what I read you are right, but check with more people before you get the car to be sure.

I kept hearing grand sport is way better track car than z06 though, way easier to track something that z06's chassis can't handle the HP. z06 does faster laptimes but much harder to drive I guess.

What I want to know is what % of 2017 M7 will overheat, so far it seems to be very few?

Last edited by okaythen; 08-20-2017 at 06:31 PM.
Old 08-21-2017, 08:29 AM
cmichels1999
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by okaythen
From what I read you are right, but check with more people before you get the car to be sure.

I kept hearing grand sport is way better track car than z06 though, way easier to track something that z06's chassis can't handle the HP. z06 does faster laptimes but much harder to drive I guess.

What I want to know is what % of 2017 M7 will overheat, so far it seems to be very few?
I was at a HPDE event at Indianapolis Motor Speedway the other weekend. There was one guy with a 2017 Z06 M7 there. I did not speak to him directly but one of the folks in my garage indicated he was not having overheating issues. My garage-mate indicated that he did have some weird computer code issue that needed to get cleared though. There was a 2015 Z06 M7 owner who had the tool to reset the codes. The 2015 Z06 owner did say he still has some overheating issues after adding some extra cooling features (not the ones I listed).
Old 08-21-2017, 12:04 PM
okaythen
Melting Slicks

cool thanks for the info
Old 08-21-2017, 12:43 PM
Larry Bittner
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Rather than join a lawsuit regarding overheating on the track that enriches attorney's and will not settle for years, read your owners manual about disputes. First document overheating on the track with your PDR. Take the information to a couple of dealers and have them document there is not fix. Write to GM who will blow you off. Then as indicated in your owners manual file an online claim with the BBB. This is the only way to resolve a real issue.
Old 08-25-2017, 01:42 AM
RACE U
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Louisville Ky NCM Lifetime Member 429 (Member Since 1993)
Received 261 Likes on 182 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13, '16

Default Mine overheated today driving on the street

My 2016 z06 A8 overheated 4 times in about 45 minutes of in town and highway driving. Never pushed the car hard (45-55mph) and the outside temp was 81 degrees. The message from the dash was engine overheating, turn off a/c, and then engine overheating,, idle engine. I did figure out my water temp gauge wasn't working (it was stuck on about 130 degrees). My oil temp reached 245 degrees. Also, my fan doesn't normally stay on after the car has been turned off. But today, it was staying on for several minutes after the engine was turned off. I have about 7,000 miles on it. I had to stop the car 3 times due to heat while I was trying to get to the dealer.

they are going to look at it tomortow.
Old 08-25-2017, 11:57 AM
Larry Bittner
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RACE U
My 2016 z06 A8 overheated 4 times in about 45 minutes of in town and highway driving. Never pushed the car hard (45-55mph) and the outside temp was 81 degrees. The message from the dash was engine overheating, turn off a/c, and then engine overheating,, idle engine. I did figure out my water temp gauge wasn't working (it was stuck on about 130 degrees). My oil temp reached 245 degrees. Also, my fan doesn't normally stay on after the car has been turned off. But today, it was staying on for several minutes after the engine was turned off. I have about 7,000 miles on it. I had to stop the car 3 times due to heat while I was trying to get to the dealer.

they are going to look at it tomortow.
Your issues probably can be corrected. The real issues come with aggressive tracking done by maybe 2% of the owners. The 2% of the cars that overheat on the track currently don't have a solution. If the dealer can't correct after a couple of attempts file a complaint with the BBB as instructed in your owners manual.
Old 08-25-2017, 01:21 PM
okaythen
Melting Slicks

is there a way to test to see if your car will overheat at the track? awhile ago someone posted the testing methods but I couldn't understand it, it wasn't clear.
Old 08-25-2017, 08:35 PM
doorucik
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
262 is when the car over heats. 220 is nothing, car will run like a raped ape at a 220 coolant temp. What is your oil temp that is more important than coolant temp. That should be less than 300.

On track in low 90 degree heat I see mid 220 coolant temps and mid 270s oil temps. Car runs fine at those temps.

Bill
Well Bill i do a lot of oil changes most of the time running 15w-50 grade M1 to compensate for very hot weather. Around PGA West area we got any sport car you can imagine. My 2016 Z06/Z07 Track car runs 210 coolant and 230/240 oil temps. After racing Audi R8 for half-hour. We have the longest freeways and streets here longer than any Track. My coolant hit 240 and Oil hit 275 temps. I did drive 3 miles to cool down vehicle back to 200 coolant. No problem. It does not get more serious than this. Audi R8 was close but no cigar. No Limp Mode do to heat or ECU cut-off. I do a lot of oil changes do to hot weather. Maintain that Octane too for 650 hp ready at demand.

Last edited by doorucik; 08-25-2017 at 09:04 PM.
Old 08-26-2017, 04:25 AM
RACE U
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Larry Bittner
Your issues probably can be corrected. The real issues come with aggressive tracking done by maybe 2% of the owners. The 2% of the cars that overheat on the track currently don't have a solution. If the dealer can't correct after a couple of attempts file a complaint with the BBB as instructed in your owners manual.

I sure the hell expect it to be resolved and it should have not happened in the numbers being reported. I am dismayed that I can take my car to the largest corvette dealership in the region there doesn't appesr to be good direction from GM to diagnose the root cause of rhis issue. The car isa not cooling correctly at 45-55 mph, and leaves me to stop several times within a mile of highway driving at these speeds with no traffic? I ended up only being able to drive the car in the emergency lane with hazard lights on or it overheats. That's just so wrong on so many levels.
The car has less than 7000 miles on it and right now it could be out run by a moped.
Don't be so quick to write off my issue. I paid $100k for this?

A e are now 3 model years in and something like this occurs (and it is apparently happening more than anyone from GM or some defenders here want to admit) there should be definitive TSBs that setvice departments have to diagnose and resolve the most common causes. The dealer said initially that their appears to be air in the intercooling system, and they asked me if I had done anything to it? Didn't Tadge say one of the problems GM found in cars overheating was improper bleeding of the intercooling system at the factory? The dealer can't figure out the source of the air in the system.

I guess I will have to tell them about tadges statement. My question is why this would take so long to show up to be an issue? Shouldn't the coolant level be low and have been low for a long period of time? If so, why wouldn't the low coolant level had not been found during normal maintenance ( the oil waa last changed May 31st).?
The car went into the dealer Thursday and kept it over the weekend. I am supposed to go to Bowling Green next. Due to my health, I can not risk being stranded on the side of the road. I am seriously considering not going, because I am concerned I can not trust the car.

it's a damn sad situation.

Last edited by RACE U; 08-26-2017 at 05:09 AM.
Old 08-27-2017, 06:38 PM
RACE U
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Has anyone else experienced this.......... as mentioned above my last oil change was on May 31, 2017.
- Right now, I have put less than 1,000 miles on the car since the oil change.
- On my August Onstar report, my oil life was listed at 85%.
- When I took the car in for overheating last Thursday, oil life was 0%. (and the oil level was fine and the oil was clean on the dipstick).

Anyone familiar with this?
Old 08-28-2017, 09:44 AM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,622 Likes on 1,741 Posts
CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17, '21

Has anyone else experienced this.......... as mentioned above my last oil change was on May 31, 2017.
- When I took the car in for overheating last Thursday, oil life was 0%. (and the oil level was fine and the oil was clean on the dipstick).

My Oil guage is useless. Supposedly it goes by time opposed to miles /usage

Last edited by DebRedZR1; 08-28-2017 at 09:44 AM.
Old 08-28-2017, 10:00 AM
jcthorne
Drifting

Received 425 Likes on 243 Posts

Engine temp is one of the factors the system uses to determine remaining oil life. Depending on how hot and for how long, its entirely possible the overheating event used up the remaining oil life according to the calculation it used.

As part of the repair of what ever is causing your over heating (its not normal) a oil change should be done.
Old 08-30-2017, 11:03 PM
RACE U
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by jcthorne
Engine temp is one of the factors the system uses to determine remaining oil life. Depending on how hot and for how long, its entirely possible the overheating event used up the remaining oil life according to the calculation it used.

As part of the repair of what ever is causing your over heating (its not normal) a oil change should be done.
interesting. They didn't do one. They reset my gauge, which doesn't seem what they should have done.
Old 09-01-2017, 10:11 PM
Thomasmoto
Race Director

Received 1,505 Likes on 1,027 Posts

I got into Fontana CA earlier today.

116 degrees!

Good to know that I don't have to worry about overheating this weekend at Optima in Fontana CA. autoX tomorrow and speed stop and road course Sunday. I'll let everyone know what happens. Lol
Old 09-03-2017, 10:49 AM
mjdart
Burning Brakes

Received 286 Likes on 161 Posts

I just returned from Ron Fellows Performance driving school yesterday. I was driving two different Z06s with A8 automatics. We would drive in manual mode only using gears 3-4-5. It was very hot 106+. I really pushed my cars hard during the lapping (2 instructors told me they liked having me behind them) Neither day did either of the cars overheat and I was watching temps. Don't get me wrong a couple of times the oil temp approached 235 as I slowed down to come in, but never when I was at speed with air flow through coolers. Now they are running 15-50 weight Mobil 1 and I don't know if they were running higher octane gas which would help tremendously. I also will say those Z06s had no where the power my Florida based (sea level) Z06 has at 95 degrees so performance was significantly degraded.

Last edited by mjdart; 09-03-2017 at 10:50 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To ZO6 overheating issues ***MEGA Merge***

Old 09-03-2017, 12:16 PM
pcguy2u
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 107 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by mjdart
I also will say those Z06s had no where the power my Florida based (sea level) Z06 has at 95 degrees so performance was significantly degraded.
When I returned from attending the ZR1 training in 2010, I made a post about the apparent lack of power with the facility ZR1's. The thread was entitled "detuned?". There was a lot of conjecture about my skills and potential lack of awareness, but, to this day???

I never identified which facility it was and never proved it one way or the other, but the ZR1's I drove definitely didn't perform the same as my own. I still have it, .
mjdart (09-03-2017)
Old 09-03-2017, 12:43 PM
Questar
Pro

Received 213 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by mjdart
I just returned from Ron Fellows Performance driving school yesterday. I was driving two different Z06s with A8 automatics. We would drive in manual mode only using gears 3-4-5. It was very hot 106+. I really pushed my cars hard during the lapping (2 instructors told me they liked having me behind them) Neither day did either of the cars overheat and I was watching temps. Don't get me wrong a couple of times the oil temp approached 235 as I slowed down to come in, but never when I was at speed with air flow through coolers. Now they are running 15-50 weight Mobil 1 and I don't know if they were running higher octane gas which would help tremendously. I also will say those Z06s had no where the power my Florida based (sea level) Z06 has at 95 degrees so performance was significantly degraded.
Spring Mountain very tightly "controls" what you do (drive mode, gear selection, shift points, speeds, session lengths, etc.) all of which help to manage heat issues. When you start doing open lapping (Level 1 Day 3 or Level 2 Day 2) or if you do private sessions where you're basically running at your max abilities and begin to push the car's upper limits for repeated laps, you'll see heat issues appear.

My last time at Spring Mountain I had ambient temps in the 80's and was getting very close to limp mode on water temps... had to shorten our sessions to allow cool downs. Water was up in the 250's and climbing... 262 is limp mode threshold. I have never had my car shut down for oil temps... I've hit 290's (just shy of 300 a couple times) but water always seems to trigger first before oil climbed over 300.

It only takes a lap or two of "lighter" driving to bring temps back into more reasonable range, so those lead follow laps, with driver leapfrogs on the back straight, give the cars time to stay well within temp range MOST of the time.
mjdart (09-03-2017)
Old 09-03-2017, 07:27 PM
okaythen
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Questar
Spring Mountain very tightly "controls" what you do (drive mode, gear selection, shift points, speeds, session lengths, etc.) all of which help to manage heat issues. When you start doing open lapping (Level 1 Day 3 or Level 2 Day 2) or if you do private sessions where you're basically running at your max abilities and begin to push the car's upper limits for repeated laps, you'll see heat issues appear.

My last time at Spring Mountain I had ambient temps in the 80's and was getting very close to limp mode on water temps... had to shorten our sessions to allow cool downs. Water was up in the 250's and climbing... 262 is limp mode threshold. I have never had my car shut down for oil temps... I've hit 290's (just shy of 300 a couple times) but water always seems to trigger first before oil climbed over 300.

It only takes a lap or two of "lighter" driving to bring temps back into more reasonable range, so those lead follow laps, with driver leapfrogs on the back straight, give the cars time to stay well within temp range MOST of the time.
M7 do they overheat easily as well?

What do they charge for private sessions?

Quick Reply: ZO6 overheating issues ***MEGA Merge***