C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports
View Poll Results: If you've Overheated What is Your Stage Aero 1, 2 or 3
Stage 1 Aero
22.64%
Stage 2 Aero
20.92%
Stage 3 Aero
56.45%
Voters: 349. You may not vote on this poll

ZO6 overheating issues ***MEGA Merge***

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 01:07 PM
Carnut12
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Callsign_Vega
Ya, just hideous..

Exactly, some folks are just jealous and could not afford one so they just bash it. I have never seen a forum so immature.
Old 09-23-2014, 01:20 PM
harlold
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

In the end top end performance is a useless metric, because barely anyone here can drive these cars to where the differences really start to shine. As much HP as the Z06 will produce it is only useful to most to brag at Cars and Coffee and impress teenagers.

I'd love to have a 991 turbo S.

Porsches are expensive. But so are a lot of high end cars that don't perform nearly as well by pro drivers.
Old 09-23-2014, 01:22 PM
Crabbers
Le Mans Master

Received 116 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by sunsalem
Comparing cars of those price ranges to the Z06 isn't like comparing apples to apples.
They couldn't be more different to a Corvette.
Well, that's the whole point of this thread? I would have to seriously think about a $110,000 Porsche in comparison to a Z07 because they are similar in price (options on the Z06 can bring it up to that level). Is the Corvette some of the best bang for your buck out there? Yeah, that's why I bought a ZR1 But I can impartially look at other cars and appreciate them without having to beat my chest over owning a Corvette.

Originally Posted by Carnut12
Exactly, some folks are just jealous and could not afford one so they just bash it. I have never seen a forum so immature.
Old 09-23-2014, 01:50 PM
05dsom
Melting Slicks

Received 72 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by PDCjonny
LOL. 18 corvette's and counting!
Why experience other cars and broaden your horizons when you can just buy the same car over and over.
What's for dinner? Same as last night....

Talk about ugly. You'd have to be nuts to not want a C7 over this..
Said no one ever.

Beautifullove the white calipers!!
Old 09-23-2014, 01:59 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by Carnut12
If you think there is "immaturity" around here, try Viper forums.

Originally Posted by Crabbers
Well, that's the whole point of this thread? I would have to seriously think about a $110,000 Porsche in comparison to a Z07 because they are similar in price (options on the Z06 can bring it up to that level).
Now THAT is more like comparing apples to apples.

But I can impartially look at other cars and appreciate them without having to beat my chest over owning a Corvette.
Same here.
I try to keep my purchases American, but I do find it difficult to live without a 458.

Originally Posted by 05dsom
Beautifullove the white calipers!!
+1
Old 09-23-2014, 02:07 PM
Crabbers
Le Mans Master

Received 116 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by sunsalem
Same here.
I try to keep my purchases American, but I do find it difficult to live without a 458.
I am convinced that my next major car purchase is going to be a foreign exotic. But then the Viper keeps drawing me in too....

At least we can all agree that we live in a great world where we can be spoiled with so many great options
Old 09-23-2014, 02:07 PM
ibleedgreen
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Snorman
Are you saying a stock 991 911 Turbo ran 165 mph in the 1/2 mile? At Georgia last weekend?
If so, that would be extremely impressive given that a stock 997.2 TT will run ~170 in the the mile. A ZR1 will run mid-180's in the mile.
S.
He had exhaust and tune. But so did some of the ZR1s. Hell, one of the ZR1s had drag radials, pulley, exhaust and tune. Easily more power than the new Z06. And ran a 153. I did go back and look at the video I had and the best I could see that the 4S did was 161mph. But that's still killing the ZR1, figuring the new Z will be exactly in line with it.
Old 09-23-2014, 02:16 PM
nitrojunky
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by ibleedgreen
He had exhaust and tune.
IMO a tune on a turbo car, and all bets are off. my friend's 996TT with a tune and GT2 intercoolers runs with my stock C6Z in a straight line. his car should be struggling to keep up with a C5Z...

as far as the OP, depends on the buyer's primary metrics. after having non-trivial seat time in the aforementioned 996TT, i can see an arguments for both, and both the top corvette and the TT911 will be wicked cars for their generation. comparing the 996 to the C5Z, the 996 is still phenomenal in all regards (including interior) while the C5Z is a great track car with a complete garbage interior. and while this isn't my bag, the 996 (with its aftermarket wheels) still looks like MONEY. if i were purchasing a year or two ago, i think that at the same price, there is an argument for a mildly modded (one generation older) 996TT vs a C6Z, which says a lot for the p-car.
Old 09-23-2014, 02:18 PM
05dsom
Melting Slicks

I am convinced that my next major car purchase is going to be a foreign exotic. But then the Viper keeps drawing me in too....

At least we can all agree that we live in a great world where we can be spoiled with so many great options
It really is crazy the amount of unbelievably great performance cars available to us today...from Italian exotics (458,Huracan), to American muscle (Z06, Viper), to British luxury (V12 Vantage, XF, Conti GT) to German precision (R8, GT3, AMG GT)inexpensive hot hatches (Focus St, Subaru's,Mini's) and everything in between!
Old 09-23-2014, 02:23 PM
Hurricane

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran

Originally Posted by Callsign_Vega

Originally Posted by PDCjonny

Drop dead gorgeous. Both of them!
Old 09-23-2014, 02:26 PM
ibleedgreen
Drifting

Originally Posted by nitrojunky
IMO a tune on a turbo car, and all bets are off. my friend's 996TT with a tune and GT2 intercoolers runs with my stock C6Z in a straight line. his car should be struggling to keep up with a C5Z...

as far as the OP, depends on the buyer's primary metrics. after having non-trivial seat time in the aforementioned 996TT, i can see an arguments for both, and both the top corvette and the TT911 will be wicked cars for their generation. comparing the 996 to the C5Z, the 996 is still phenomenal in all regards (including interior) while the C5Z is a great track car with a complete garbage interior. and while this isn't my bag, the 996 (with its aftermarket wheels) still looks like MONEY. if i were purchasing a year or two ago, i think that at the same price, there is an argument for a mildly modded (one generation older) 996TT vs a C6Z, which says a lot for the p-car.
Well, same could be said for a pulley,exhaust&tune ZR1, a good bit faster than stock. But the Turbo 4s was nearly 10mph faster in the 1/2 mile. That's a lot.

IMO the 996 headlights were horrible and the interior sucks even compared to the C5Z. once you step into the 997 then you have a nice PCar and of course the 991 is the ****.
Old 09-23-2014, 02:34 PM
nitrojunky
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

IMO the 996 headlights were horrible and the interior sucks even compared to the C5Z.
re: the headlights, i can't argue that, unless they're compared with the C5 headlight

it took a little while for the 996 interior to grow on me, but after being in it fairly often over the past couple years i've picked up on many nuances and now have an appreciation for it. doing the same with my former C5Z (which is now owned by my mother LOL), the opposite has occurred. i think the 996 interior is significantly more desirable than that of my C6Z. so far, although the quality of materials has improved, i find the C7Z interior to be very gaudy, but maybe it'll grow on me over the years. i'm not sure how the C7's aesthetics will age.

my expectation of 991 turbo vs. C7Z in a straight line is the 991 will hole shot the hell out of the C7Z (just the physics of weight distribution, turbo, CM, and AWD), but the C7Z will trap at a higher speed. which means that 99% of the time on the street and anywhere within 30mph of the speedlimit, the 991 turbo has the advantage. on a road course, especially a high speed road course, i think the C7Z will have a non-trivial numbers advantage. we'll see when the numbers start coming out.
Old 09-23-2014, 02:36 PM
VetteGirlMA
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

When I bought the vette earlier this year, and since I am forever flipping cars, my thought was what next? Where do I go from a corvette? Corvette may not be the most expensive car, but it's still near the top of the car food chain

I toyed with maybe trading in the '13 grand sport for a left over viper. The dealer turned me off to a trade so I passed. Then I looked at maybe a Maserati granturismo s cabriolet, since the grand sport is a convertible, but they wouldn't come down on the price enough to make it worth my while.

Lastly I have thought even of just delaying doing anything to at least next year some time and maybe doing a Ferrari California. If there is really such a thing as a mid engine C8 and there is some kind of announcement at the new York auto show (which I would doubt) PLUS for the expected cost it has some hand made quality, meaning good paint job, beautiful interior, that might be something worth waiting for. Of course that could be all vapor. I'd be willing to pay for a vette that had the same high quality mark that comes with an exotic.
Old 09-23-2014, 02:47 PM
Lavender
Melting Slicks

Received 321 Likes on 172 Posts

He had exhaust and tune. But so did some of the ZR1s. Hell, one of the ZR1s had drag radials, pulley, exhaust and tune. Easily more power than the new Z06. And ran a 153. I did go back and look at the video I had and the best I could see that the 4S did was 161mph. But that's still killing the ZR1, figuring the new Z will be exactly in line with it.
So the Porsche is not stock?. Cool...what else is there that you forgot to mention? There is a mk2 VW Golf here with 1.8l turbo engine that runs mid 8s.. IMO it's literally going to blow the doors off a C7 Z06. Do I look like I care that someones modded car is faster?

No..I think not. But thats just me tho..

Last edited by Lavender; 09-23-2014 at 02:49 PM.
Old 09-23-2014, 02:57 PM
ibleedgreen
Drifting

Originally Posted by Lavender
So the Porsche is not stock?. Cool...what else is there that you forgot to mention? There is a mk2 VW Golf here with 1.8l turbo engine that runs mid 8s.. IMO it's literally going to blow the doors off a C7 Z06. Do I look like I care that someones modded car is faster?

No..I think not. But thats just me tho..
Oh come on now, I was comparing the exact same between cars with similar mods. Actually the ZR1s having a little more, but again we are just talking exhaust and tune. Basically killing the emissions crap and putting them the way they should come factory.

I can tell you when I get my C7Z it will have cat back exhaust, pulley and tune within a few weeks. And I bet that same Turbo S will drag me down the 1/2.
Old 09-23-2014, 02:59 PM
05dsom
Melting Slicks

Blue GT4 looks good
Old 09-23-2014, 03:37 PM
PushNut
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Are you sure ?

Originally Posted by DerStig
... it seems like Z06 will destroy every Porsche model out there, including turbo S in every department...

Get notified of new replies

To ZO6 overheating issues ***MEGA Merge***

Old 09-23-2014, 03:42 PM
PushNut
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default The problem with comparing modded cars

Oh come on now, I was comparing the exact same between cars with similar mods. Actually the ZR1s having a little more, but again we are just talking exhaust and tune. Basically killing the emissions crap and putting them the way they should come factory.

I can tell you when I get my C7Z it will have cat back exhaust, pulley and tune within a few weeks. And I bet that same Turbo S will drag me down the 1/2.
is that there is no comparison.
Old 09-23-2014, 03:46 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,949 Likes on 2,177 Posts

I think the quality of the interior is quite impressive in the Porsche. I also think the little jump rear seats would come in handy on the occasions I need to stiff my 82 year old mom and my 18 year old autistic son in the same car at the same time.....

I know it's tight but I know I could pull it off.

I've thought about it. My neighbor has a new 911 turbo on order and he s offered me his mint 911 turbo at a great price and I know the car is immaculate....

I'm not doing it as I just prefer corvettes.....but from a rational logical standpoint...the two little jump seats would come in handy sometimes..
Old 09-23-2014, 03:48 PM
RonnieC6Z
Drifting

Received 768 Likes on 230 Posts

The question that should have been asked by the OP is "How can someone be so narrow minded as to create a post like this?" I have never seen a forum where there is so much bashing and jealosy of other brands as there is on this one. Sure, it hapens on other forums, but not to this extent. So many here that feel that the 911 is not a good looking car and try to make those that differ in opinion feel that they are just either wrong, stupid, or you name it. Or if a particular Porsche is maybe .5 seconds slower to 60, then the car is just not worth having. Why is it that so many here get their ego so bruised when the word Porsche is mentioned? How can these folks be so immature and so insecure? I would hazzard a guess that most have never owned a Porsche. I have owned 3. And I have owned 10 Vettes. Both brands are wonderful cars, and, at the same time, are very different from eachother. I love Porsches and Vettes equally. They both have their upside and downside. I have owned a viper and hated it more than any car ever. But I would never criticize anyone else for liking, wanting or owning a viper. Take some time out and go over to some of the Porsche chats, Ferrari chats, and see how many of those folks bash eachother's brands and/or Corvettes. VERY FEW! And you sure as heck don't see much of "my car is faster than your car and that makes it better!" Good greif people...GROW UP!

Last edited by RonnieC6Z; 09-23-2014 at 03:50 PM.

Quick Reply: ZO6 overheating issues ***MEGA Merge***