C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports
View Poll Results: If you've Overheated What is Your Stage Aero 1, 2 or 3
Stage 1 Aero
22.70%
Stage 2 Aero
20.98%
Stage 3 Aero
56.32%
Voters: 348. You may not vote on this poll

ZO6 overheating issues ***MEGA Merge***

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2015, 01:57 AM
MavsAK
Melting Slicks

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Snorman
Oh yeah? What track and when? Unless I am mistaken, you supposedly live in New Jersey, where it's "100F ambient temp" probably twice a year.
Of course, I wouldn't think of insinuating that you're lying for sake of argument. But I personally think you are largely full of sh$t. I doubt you've ever been on track and I doubt you could tell the difference between pit-out and drive-thru.
S.
Hey he might have been on a track in the stands at least.
Old 03-28-2015, 02:17 AM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

damn not looking good for us track guys
Old 03-28-2015, 06:41 AM
Haratchi
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisN123
FYI: Here's the raw PDR video of the laps that led to the overheating.

2015 Z06 (A8) Doing first Laguna Laps - YouTube
Very very slow laps, with about 3 laps = 1:46 !
When the car is overheating on those slow laps......that's crazy bad !
A8 is without upgrades, definitivly not a good track choice !

Randy was 1 34 with the last C6 Z07 in 2012 !!
Randy would lap for at least 1 30 / 1 31 with the C7 Z07 A8 !

Last edited by Haratchi; 03-28-2015 at 06:45 AM.
Old 03-28-2015, 06:50 AM
golfnutintib
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mfain
Guys, I think Tadge was pretty up-front. I'll repost his answers where, to paraphrase, he basically said: the M7 was tested to 86 degrees and you can expect overheating above. The A8 will overheat anyway, unless you paddle shift and avoid downshifts - i.e., drive at less than 10/10ths. And, most important, a bigger fluid capacity will not fix the problem - it needs more airflow which means a bigger grill opening (or scoops) that affect appearance and drag. Like a lot of you guys, I am sure GM is working a fix. Thermal management is a function of dealing with heat (BTUs). You can lower the heat by lowering the horsepower (less BTUs) or improving the heat transfer. I hope they find a good fix soon - I am in the hottest part of the desert Southwest and I want one to compliment my C6Z/Z07.

pappy

Tadge answered:

There are lots of interesting back stories behind recent media tests, but the question asks about Road Atlanta so for the purposes of this thread I will focus on our long lead media event last November. We spent a week there with journalists from around the world. We had pro drivers Tommy Milner, Randy Pobst, and Andy Pilgrim behind the wheel along with many other very capable drivers. They were permitted to run consecutive laps with minimal or no traffic, so essentially "qualifying laps". Over the course of the week we had 2 cars come into the pits with a hot warning messages. The first was due to the loss of an accessory drive belt. We had a pre-production tensioner on that car which failed, throwing the belt and we lost the water pump. We have had no issues with production tensioners. The second car was an automatic. I believe it was being driven by Randy on the hottest day there which was right around our design performance target of 86 degrees (more on that below). After multiple laps at speed he came in with a hot warning message. Although the car had been out on track all week, that was the first and only incident. In Corvette's 60 year history, we have never put automatics on track for media and never encouraged people interested in track usage to buy automatics. The new 8 speed automatic gives us a chance to put more automatic transmission customers on the track. Since there is some lack of clarity around the true capability of each of the transmissions, this question gives us the opportunity to publish some guidelines:
•The Z06 Manual is designed to keep engine oil, coolant, transmission and differential fluids below the hot warning targets when driven by a professional on a 30C day (86F) on a "typical" racetrack for an indefinite period of time (effectively the time to burn through a full tank of fuel). Our team validates the durability of the Z06 cooling systems with a 24hr accumulated track test to simulate the most aggressive track-day usage by our customers.
•We designate our track: the Milford Road Course, as the "typical" standard, but recognize that there are tracks around the world which are easier on a cooling system and some which are harder on a cooling system. Generally speaking, tighter tracks with lower average speed and higher sustained RPM, will drive higher fluid system temperatures.
•Higher temperature ambient conditions affects all car's abilities to run sustained laps at ten-tenths.
•The Z06 Automatic transmission put in "Drive" selects the lowest possible gear ratio for best acceleration, and because it has 8 closely-spaced ratios typically runs higher average RPM than the manual. This optimizes lap time performance, but also taxes the engine oil and coolant more for any given track. So the automatic has the capability to run faster laps than the manual, but thermal limitations are reached more quickly. Customers who are planning to run extended track-day sessions at 'professional' speeds, are advised to go with the manual transmission, or to paddle shift the automatic and select higher gears when conditions warrant it.
•Any time the maximum recommended temperatures are reached in any condition, the DIC will give warnings at the appropriate time for coolant, oil, or transmission fluid. A cool-down lap or two will bring operating temperatures back to a reasonable level and aggressive track driving can be resumed.

Some may wonder why don't we design to higher temperatures, say 110 degrees, to accommodate southern tracks in the Summer. We have used the "pro driver at 86 degrees" criteria for generations of Corvettes and for the vast majority of customers, it has resulted in excellent performance for their usage. If we designed to higher temperature criteria, we would have to add a lot of cooling hardware which drives mass up and perhaps more importantly, you have to feed the system with more air which has a huge impact on appearance and aerodynamic drag. Like most aspects of car design, the challenge is in finding the best balance of conflicting requirements.
Very helpful - thank you.
Old 03-28-2015, 08:41 AM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Received 179 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Haratchi
Very very slow laps, with about 3 laps = 1:46 !
When the car is overheating on those slow laps......that's crazy bad !
A8 is without upgrades, definitivly not a good track choice !

Randy was 1 34 with the last C6 Z07 in 2012 !!
Randy would lap for at least 1 30 / 1 31 with the C7 Z07 A8 !
no he wouldn't. .....

i dont imagine you actually track with that much misinformation in one post.
Old 03-28-2015, 08:58 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

With all the stories of friends having issues I would imagine an aftermarket or gm performance parts solution to allow for longer track use.

No street car is perfect for track use as they are all price compromised.

I don't believe any Porsche 918 owners are being bitched at because after one lap the electric motors batteries are used up in its top performance mode and gasoline power is all that's available....

As it sits I seem to remember the under 100 grand c7 z06 is only slower than the million dollar Porsche 918 by .3 this of a second on some car magazine track.

Street cars are always a compromise...I believe ten laps and the Gtr has no brakes...and it's not an insult but a reality of building to a price.

Compromises have to eventually be made.

Still the fact the standard c7 z06 is second fastest by some car magazine behind the million dollar Porsche 918...

Gm performance parts has a great opportunity as does the aftermarket to find a simple solution for longer track events etc..

I'm sure it won't be much more than what c5 and c6 tracks guys spent in similar or different areas to actually use their cars for longer track days than 95 percent of all c7 z06 owners might part take in.
Old 03-28-2015, 09:11 AM
fly1977
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DerStig
JESUS! 302 oil temp? BMW and Porsche's oil temperature gauges do not even have a range that covers 302 degrees!
Oh My Good, The Troll is back again!
Old 03-28-2015, 09:45 AM
DerStig
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JerriVette
With all the stories of friends having issues I would imagine an aftermarket or gm performance parts solution to allow for longer track use.

I don't believe any Porsche 918 owners are being bitched at because after one lap the electric motors batteries are used up in its top performance mode and gasoline power is all that's available....

As it sits I seem to remember the under 100 grand c7 z06 is only slower than the million dollar Porsche 918 by .3 this of a second on some car magazine track.

Street cars are always a compromise...I believe ten laps and the Gtr has no brakes...and it's not an insult but a reality of building to a price.

Still the fact the standard c7 z06 is second fastest by some car magazine behind the million dollar Porsche 918...

Gm performance parts has a great opportunity as does the aftermarket to find a simple solution for longer track events etc..

I'm sure it won't be much more than what c5 and c6 tracks guys spent in similar or different areas to actually use their cars for longer track days than 95 percent of all c7 z06 owners might part take in.
Porsche GT3 (997, 991)
Porsche GT3 RS (997)
Porsche Turbo (997, 991)
BMW M3 (E90, F80)
BMW M5 (F10)

All of these cars are street cars. Some are under 100k, some are over 100k (turbo being the most expensive). NONE of them exhibit overheat in a race track. I have never heard any one of these cars, even in the hottest time of the year even come close to 300F. The most I have heard across these cars is 260F in the worst possible case. Even with a supercharger on top, E90 M3 maintains its oil temperature.

So no, street cars don't all have a compromise. GM made far too many compromises in this car and people drinking Corvette kool-aid cannot see the truth right in front of them. None of those cars above require any modification (maybe the brake fluids need to be flushed and replaced for the M3, but that's a 10 minute job and not a requirement). One can buy any one of them, drive the car from a dealership to a race track, lap and lap until they run out of gas, and simply go home. None of those cars are "specially built" cars. They are just "well built" cars. Well engineered cars that can withstand abuse. Corvette is a cheaply made car that cannot take abuse. Simple as that. Now if you all voted with your wallets and cancelled your orders, maybe Tadge would do something about it, but keep drinking the kool-aid drink and you can forget about GM addressing this.

Last edited by DerStig; 03-28-2015 at 09:47 AM.
Old 03-28-2015, 09:53 AM
NGS
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Porsche GT3 (997, 991)
Porsche GT3 RS (997)
Porsche Turbo (997, 991)
BMW M3 (E90, F80)
BMW M5 (F10)

All of these cars are street cars. Some are under 100k, some are over 100k (turbo being the most expensive). NONE of them exhibit overheat in a race track. I have never heard any one of these cars, even in the hottest time of the year even come close to 300F. The most I have heard across these cars is 260F in the worst possible case. Even with a supercharger on top, E90 M3 maintains its oil temperature.

So no, street cars don't all have a compromise. GM made far too many compromises in this car and people drinking Corvette kool-aid cannot see the truth right in front of them. None of those cars above require any modification (maybe the brake fluids need to be flushed and replaced for the M3, but that's a 10 minute job and not a requirement). One can buy any one of them, drive the car from a dealership to a race track, lap and lap until they run out of gas, and simply go home. None of those cars are "specially built" cars. They are just "well built" cars. Well engineered cars that can withstand abuse. Corvette is a cheaply made car that cannot take abuse. Simple as that. Now if you all voted with your wallets and cancelled your orders, maybe Tadge would do something about it, but keep drinking the kool-aid drink and you can forget about GM addressing this.

Yeah...but the new C7-Z can beat all those German cars in a 1/4 mile drag race.
Old 03-28-2015, 10:06 AM
DerStig
Pro

Originally Posted by NGS
Yeah...but the new C7-Z can beat all those German cars in a 1/4 mile drag race.
Right and thats all these cars are about. They are built for an entirely different purpose. People buy these cars to show off to the world that they are driving a loud, mean, fast car that makes 650hp. Heck, this is so important for the brand that how much horsepower and torque this car makes is written on a damn chrome plastic and put on the cockpit!

The german cars is built for an entirely different reason with a very different mentality. No point of trying to explain that here though, none of you will get it.

By the way turbo is faster than Z06 and GT3 is pretty much equal. Not saying I care about 1/4 mile times, but you are just misinformed.

Now I know of all the paragraphs I wrote, you are only going to focus on the previous one because thats what you care about
Old 03-28-2015, 10:14 AM
harlold
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Nothing more than excuses.

The C7Z is billed as a track destroying weapon. Saying "Well its a street car" just lets Chevy off the hook.

No wonder this is an issue, if people just accept it Chevy has no excuse to fix it.

You can tell who the bench racers are "Only .3 slower than the 918!" - who cares if you are a track rat and can only get 4 laps in total.
Old 03-28-2015, 10:17 AM
DerStig
Pro

Originally Posted by harlold

The C7Z is billed as a track destroying weapon. Saying "Well its a street car" just lets Chevy off the hook.

No wonder this is an issue, if people just accept it Chevy has no excuse to fix it.

You can tell who the bench racers are "Only .3 slower than the 918!" - who cares if you are a track rat and can only get 4 laps in total.
^^^
Old 03-28-2015, 11:05 AM
Lavender
Melting Slicks

Received 320 Likes on 172 Posts

Man where are the permanent banns for trolls...
Old 03-28-2015, 11:07 AM
DerStig
Pro

Originally Posted by Lavender
Man where are the permanent banns for trolls...
You tell me. How are you still around?
Old 03-28-2015, 11:58 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Harold I hear what you are saying yet reality sets in that every street car built to a price is a compromise. If the Porsche 918 which is a million dollar super car it also has limitations to lap but a few laps or even one lap before the electric motor aspect of this track capable vehicle is used up.

If you can accept that track super car Porsche 918 can only lap a track at its fastest most capable mode....please try and consider that's the same for the 80 to 100 grand corvette z06 has built in compromises.

If that's too much for anyone to process. Find another brand of vehicle to purchase.

I hear the 150 thousand dollar Gtr nismo has no brakes after ten laps..

Again I'm sure there are track oriented brake pads that can assist this situation...just as I am sure there are or will be aftermarket or gm performance parts solutions available at a relatively minimal added cost to further the ability of longer track days.

It's not the unravelling of a conspiracy but rather just a fact of compromises that all street vehicles built to a price endure.

Do I think gm should offer a solution? Absolutely....yet I'd be fine with it being a gm pare formate parts solution for those that will track their cars for longer periods of time in warmer weather.

Best case scenario would be if gm created a production solution as well.

I'd click that option box but if I owned a c7 z06 and had a track overheat concern or experience....I'd pay to have a solution installed.

Being realistic is different than being negative.

The two are not identical.

One sees the situation for what it is and try's to find a solution based path and one is just a waste of time.

Jmo

Last edited by JerriVette; 03-28-2015 at 12:03 PM.
Old 03-28-2015, 12:25 PM
NGS
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Do I think gm should offer a solution?
You write in the future tense. I will write in the past tense. The reality is GM engineers should have done a better job in their development process (given how the Z06 has been marketed) to address known issues of heat build up in cars using FI in track environments. There are no excuses, though talking about "compromises" can be viewed as one. And as my wife always reminds me (since I've been known to make a few )..."a poor excuse is better than none."
Old 03-28-2015, 12:27 PM
jmc5
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Porsche GT3 (997, 991)
Porsche GT3 RS (997)
Porsche Turbo (997, 991)
BMW M3 (E90, F80)
BMW M5 (F10)

The M3 & M5 are not suitable for tracking "stock". They'll fall over dead just as quickly as any other car. 10 laps at speed and something will be failing. Possibly as few as 5.

*Maybe* the GT3's can take it in stock form. Can't say for certain. My 991 911 S couldn't. Needs tires and brakes to be tracked, and that would have revealed whatever the next weak link was.

If you actually drove on track in these cars, you'd know this.

Get notified of new replies

To ZO6 overheating issues ***MEGA Merge***

Old 03-28-2015, 12:32 PM
MavsAK
Melting Slicks

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Anyone who isn't a bench racer knows full well going to a track that damn near ANY car you buy is going to need cooling upgrades to handle extended track duty in hot weather.

Porsche? Needs cooling upgrades with the 911TT.
BMW? Same deal.
GTR? The early cars were so bad for it they'd force the transmissions into limp home mode to keep from self destructing. The current ones? Still need upgrades.
Old 03-28-2015, 12:48 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Originally Posted by NGS
You write in the future tense. I will write in the past tense. The reality is GM engineers should have done a better job in their development process (given how the Z06 has been marketed) to address known issues of heat build up in cars using FI in track environments. There are no excuses, though talking about "compromises" can be viewed as one. And as my wife always reminds me (since I've been known to make a few )..."a poor excuse is better than none."
I wish you the best and masvak explanation says it all.

Couldn't have said it better myself...

Originally Posted by MavsAK
Anyone who isn't a bench racer knows full well going to a track that damn near ANY car you buy is going to need cooling upgrades to handle extended track duty in hot weather.

BMW? Same deal.
GTR? The early cars were so bad for it they'd force the transmissions into limp home mode to keep from self destructing. The current ones? Still need upgrades.
Old 03-28-2015, 12:56 PM
DerStig
Pro

Originally Posted by MavsAK

BMW? Same deal.
I disagree. None of those cars need cooling upgrades, unless you are talking about over hour long track sessions which is extreme.

Z06 is overheating after 4 laps though. That is about 5 minutes of track time... So we are comparing apples to apples here.

Quick Reply: ZO6 overheating issues ***MEGA Merge***