C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

4 bent wheels

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2015, 03:01 PM
carlsturm
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Weldcraft Wheels in Livonia MI does a great job if you go that route.
Old 06-11-2015, 03:26 PM
docf
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Might try doing it all over again by going to a good tire/wheel shop and get a second opinion. Hard to imagine 4 wheels bent without knowledge of some events prior. Just say you have noted a vibration. Few years ago had MB that used to eat tires. Checked into some wheel shops that were recommended by Local Porsche shop that was involved in racing which sent me to a wheel shop. There found out that I had two bent wheels. The problem was corrected and it was not expensive if I remember correctly, but as others have said held true and that was once repaired the alloy was softer and the problem reoccured.
Old 06-11-2015, 03:59 PM
Fatboyyella
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I've heard of this

Originally Posted by Batman 357
I had an out of round tire on a new car fresh from the dealership. They sent me to a grease pit shop. The old guy worked on it with a rasp for a bit and sent me on my way. It worked.
I called today, they do it by hand.
Old 06-11-2015, 06:33 PM
denny413
1st Gear

Default Bent wheels

The only thing I haven't seen mentioned is low tire pressure which will let wheels take the impacts. I fixed an aluminum wheel for a BMW driver who had hit a hole on the interstate, and a month or so later, he came in with another one to repair.

Originally Posted by Vegas Panton
Recently went through the Corvette factory during my NCM delivery--Right after they start the car, they align it, then put it on a machine that looks similar to a four wheel dyno. The car goes through a very extensive series of tests as the wheels are turning. Bent wheels would probably show up there. In 2009 I picked up a brand new Corvette (3 miles on the odometer) in CA and drove it back to Vegas. It had a vibration. Took it to a Vegas dealer to get the tires rebalanced. They found a bent wheel. I had hit nothing. So, assuming the OP did not hit something and damage all the wheels, I would think that the wheels could have been bent during transportation from BG. One of the first C7 Z06's in Vegas was delivered to the dealer with damaged tires (not cold weather cracks) and a scuffed wheel. Not trying to trash the transportation company, but sometimes things happen. Hard for the dealer to notice a slightly bent wheel during the PDI process.
Old 06-11-2015, 06:54 PM
Fatboyyella
Advanced

Default I do agree, though

Originally Posted by denny413
The only thing I haven't seen mentioned is low tire pressure which will let wheels take the impacts. I fixed an aluminum wheel for a BMW driver who had hit a hole on the interstate, and a month or so later, he came in with another one to repair.
Yes, if at low pressure and a hit, I could see it bend. I do lower pressure when racing. I just feel that if my wheels were all bent, 150-170 mph would shake me a bit. You never know for sure unless it was an impact then shutter after.
Old 06-11-2015, 11:22 PM
corvette dave
Melting Slicks

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

What type of racing?
Old 06-12-2015, 12:55 PM
lgodom
Drifting

Received 286 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by corvette dave
What type of racing?

This might bend a wheel or two...

Old 06-12-2015, 01:37 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by Fatboyyella
Though, in my opinion, the wheels should withstand moderate road imperfections and small pot holes.
They should, but if you hit a speed bump a little too fast, it could do it. I'm not sure if our wheels are forged or not - others will know better. Being 4 and not 2 rules out a pothole or similar. Hard to bend forged.

Only you will know if/what you hit, and keep it to yourself in case someone's listening :-)
Old 06-12-2015, 02:26 PM
Fatboyyella
Advanced

Default Lol...yes, possibly

Originally Posted by lgodom
This might bend a wheel or two...

lol
I could see that doing a touch of damage.
Old 06-12-2015, 02:27 PM
Fatboyyella
Advanced

Default Two types

What type of racing?
Mostly drag on street some track.
I've done course too, but not often.
Old 06-12-2015, 02:31 PM
Fatboyyella
Advanced

Default Speed bump, never. Train tracks, yes.

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1
They should, but if you hit a speed bump a little too fast, it could do it. I'm not sure if our wheels are forged or not - others will know better. Being 4 and not 2 rules out a pothole or similar. Hard to bend forged.

Only you will know if/what you hit, and keep it to yourself in case someone's listening :-)
Gosh, I never hit a speed bump to my knowledge, though train tracks, I have.
I believe that the dealership is incorrect and I will have a few opinions from other repair facilities.
Old 06-12-2015, 03:55 PM
corvette dave
Melting Slicks

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Mostly drag on street some track.
I've done course too, but not often.

If you hit the rumble strips on a road course hard enough running low tire pressure you certainly can bend a wheel.
I hit the rumble strips in a C5 at Mid-Ohio several years ago on a right turn apex and bent both right side wheels. They still held air. The wheels were bent so badly you could see the bent areas of the outside of the wheels when standing beside the car. They were track wheels and I bent them back nearly perfect with a large hammer and a block of wood. Not hard at all to bend all 4 in one weekend.
I would bet your wheels were not delivered damaged when new.

Last edited by corvette dave; 06-12-2015 at 03:57 PM.
Old 06-12-2015, 04:25 PM
Fatboyyella
Advanced

Default I can see that

If you hit the rumble strips on a road course hard enough running low tire pressure you certainly can bend a wheel.
I hit the rumble strips in a C5 at Mid-Ohio several years ago on a right turn apex and bent both right side wheels. They still held air. The wheels were bent so badly you could see the bent areas of the outside of the wheels when standing beside the car. They were track wheels and I bent them back nearly perfect with a large hammer and a block of wood. Not hard at all to bend all 4 in one weekend.
I would bet your wheels were not delivered damaged when new.
Im not blaming GM. I feel that the tech is incorrect about all 4 being bent.
Old 06-12-2015, 04:26 PM
Fatboyyella
Advanced

Default Repair?

Originally Posted by carlsturm
Weldcraft Wheels in Livonia MI does a great job if you go that route.
Do they repair wheels too?
Old 06-12-2015, 04:42 PM
carlsturm
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes they repair wheels. Over a period of approximately 5 years I've had them fix two of my wheels from two separate cars.

Do they repair wheels too?
Old 06-12-2015, 04:47 PM
RonBurgAM
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Bent Wheel Experience

I saw a reference to Michigan which sparked my memory of Grand Rapids in 2005. Unintentionally took my new whip off-roading with 150 miles on the odometer. One of the alloy wheels was extremely bent, didn't think there was any way they could fix it. Took it to a rim manufacturer and they straightened it out perfectly. Think it was $50 or $75. Rides straight as an arrow 120k miles later.

It is called Keystone Alloy Wheel. I called and they don't do it at that facility anymore. They now send out of state. So you need to give them just the rim for about a week. Number is (616) 452-6066 x4.

If that is not helpful, at least I can chime in with personal experience that if a wheel is bent, there are shops out there that can straighten them out, obviously depending on the damage. Good luck!
Old 06-12-2015, 05:16 PM
Fatboyyella
Advanced

Default Great news

Originally Posted by RonBurgAM
I saw a reference to Michigan which sparked my memory of Grand Rapids in 2005. Unintentionally took my new whip off-roading with 150 miles on the odometer. One of the alloy wheels was extremely bent, didn't think there was any way they could fix it. Took it to a rim manufacturer and they straightened it out perfectly. Think it was $50 or $75. Rides straight as an arrow 120k miles later.

It is called Keystone Alloy Wheel. I called and they don't do it at that facility anymore. They now send out of state. So you need to give them just the rim for about a week. Number is (616) 452-6066 x4.

If that is not helpful, at least I can chime in with personal experience that if a wheel is bent, there are shops out there that can straighten them out, obviously depending on the damage. Good luck!
Thank you.

Get notified of new replies

To 4 bent wheels

Old 06-12-2015, 05:31 PM
rad928music
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Yes, I've heard there are. I'll look into it.
I had 18" aftermarket wheels straightened.
He showed me the run out with a micrometer, and they where bad, All 4.
I didn't think he could straighten them and I was tired of the vibration so I was going to buy new ones.
He Straightened all 4 and the car rides 100% better.

Here is his number.
He has a Mobile service and can even straighten the wheels on the car.

Corvette wheel straightener
651-423-2432
Old 06-14-2015, 05:48 PM
GMJim
Drifting

Received 234 Likes on 152 Posts

Last year I made a trip with my 2011 ZR1 to Bowling Green and traveled a great deal on I-75. That road pounded the hell out of my car to the point that I had broken both of my headlight projector stands and both headlights had to be replaced. After that ride I went to a GM dealer with a well known and sought after (in my area) alignment technician. I asked him about wheel damage and after checking mine they were perfect. What he told me surprised me however. He said he's seen more bent wheels on Corvettes caused by the transport company drivers cranking them down on the car carrier much too tight. Combine this with a few hundred miles to the dealer and you have four bent wheels. He then told me the latest shipment of 2014's that were PDI''d there were three cars that had to have the wheels replaced due to transportation damage (bent wheels). If I-75 didn't bend my wheels I can't imagine what the pot hole that would damage them would look like. Not saying this is what bent your wheels but worth looking into.

Last edited by GMJim; 06-14-2015 at 05:51 PM.
Old 07-05-2015, 05:00 PM
JASTAR_Vette
2nd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Same happened to me.

My 2015 ZO6 had vibration. Took to dealership. Checked each tire n wheel. Said each wheel out of round.
No word on what they'll do, though praying GM will replace them. 5000 miles on them.

Last week, my 2015 Corvette Z06 (only 2000 miles, bought it back in Feb 2015) also had vibration, my story is slightly different. I ran over a small block of wood in the road that fell off a truck (couldn't be safely avoided), that's when the vibration started. Took it to the dealership. They call me later and tell me all 4 wheels are bent. I only ran over the wood with the left side, so the right side shouldn't be bent.

I had them put it up on the lift and sure enough all four are bent. After discussions with the service and sales department, we all agreed that the ones on the left are more bent after running over the wood which made the vibration more noticeable and prompted me to take it in. The other two were already bent from regular driving hazards.

We also agreed that the combination of lighter alloy wheels for performance with run flats doesn't allow the tire to absorb enough road shock which is what is bending the wheels. The car doesn't have a spare tire, so taking the run flats off leaves you stranded, and then if the person who comes to tow your car doesn't bring a flat bed and/or doesn't know what they are doing, they will damage a sports car that is this low.

I'm really upset because a car this expensive should have a wheel and tire combination that can stand up to regular road hazards, I can understand the wood bending it, even though this has never happened to me in my life with the more than 40 cars I've owned.

I'm left with the options of figuring out a wheel and tire combination that will work better and still look nice (hard to find anything that fits), putting regular tires instead of run flat (still hard to find), or just getting rid of the car all together (lose a good deal of money).

i only drive the car once or twice every two weeks, yet this still proves to be a problem for the wheels.

I luckily bought the wheel and tire hazard protection, so 3 wheels are being replaced, one is being fixed, and 4 tires are being replaced. Even this process takes about a month because even the stock Z06 wheels and tires are hard to find and have limited availability.

I know that even when I get it back, this will more than likely happen again, I planned on keeping the car indefinitely when I first bought it. I like the person who posted this thread am not rich, I just worked hard and saved to have something I wanted. The road hazard program doesn't last forever, so a solution has to be found. I plan to call GM and find out what their official stance on this is and if they plan to do anything to resolve this in future models as well as try to help current Z06 owners who took the leap of faith to purchase this expensive and all new model they sold us.

The official stance of the dealership itself which is likely the same as GM's is that they would not cover this under the regular warranty (even for the two wheels/tires that clearly never hit anything and that I only had the car a few months with a couple thousand miles on it).

If anyone knows of any other stories or paths that they would take, I'm open to hearing it. Thanks for reading and for any responses, especially from the original poster of this thread; Fatboyyella, on what happened with your situation would be very welcome and appreciated.

Quick Reply: 4 bent wheels