C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Who Has Invested in 100% Coverage Paint Protection (XPel/3m/etc)

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2015, 11:45 AM
AllFlash
Melting Slicks

Received 438 Likes on 239 Posts

I am much the same. My installer told me right off he would like it brought in after a few weeks for a 'checkup' as he put it, but until, not to worry too much about anything i find as it would be fixed or replaced at that time.

I still fall back on the fact that, to a normal person looking at the car, they have no idea there is a PP on there whatsoever...it is only us nit picky owners that get close enough to see each and every mark or blemish.

Just installed factory splash guards a few minutes ago...quick and easy!

Old 06-26-2015, 10:07 AM
funz06
Drifting

Received 105 Likes on 86 Posts

I can tell you this much..............last night I was at a car show (Patriot Place) where some 3,000 cars show up every other Thursday. Tons of corvettes, and plenty of C7's. Every time I looked up at my car or walked near it, there was always a few people admiring it---at least a dozen people took pictures of it in the 90 minutes I was there. NOT ONE person made a comment or asked about the Xpel; the 2 tiny white spots; or the few very small bubbles.................nobody knew the car had Xpel on it.
Old 06-26-2015, 10:44 AM
AllFlash
Melting Slicks

Received 438 Likes on 239 Posts

Let me add to that. I met up with a great bunch of guys (all members here) last night in Toronto and we gabbed for a few hours before making a run through the middle of Toronto. The car was an attention getter and, at one point, I noticed one of the other owners looking very closely at my paint (still daylight at that point). I asked him if there was something wrong and he asked if I had paint protection applied and how much coverage. I told him that I had Xpel applied on to the complete car 3 days ago and he was the first to say that he would never have known if he hadn't looked very closely.

That then became a topic of conversation with several there who then seemed to look over the entire car very closely (wish I would have taken that picture actually). I know that nobody would just jump out and say he doesn't like it or would never have it done in this group, but surprisingly, the overwhelming conversation seemed to be that the Xpel was virtually undetectable unless one was looking for it. All appeared very impressed...and remember this is a very seasoned and knowledgeable group of Vette owners.

Now as for driving in the busiest part of Toronto with people on bikes whizzing by me.....yikes!!!

http://s187.photobucket.com/user/Zee...06-25-2015_HDR

Last edited by AllFlash; 06-26-2015 at 10:48 AM.
Old 06-26-2015, 12:27 PM
99ta316
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by AllFlash
Let me add to that. I met up with a great bunch of guys (all members here) last night in Toronto and we gabbed for a few hours before making a run through the middle of Toronto. The car was an attention getter and, at one point, I noticed one of the other owners looking very closely at my paint (still daylight at that point). I asked him if there was something wrong and he asked if I had paint protection applied and how much coverage. I told him that I had Xpel applied on to the complete car 3 days ago and he was the first to say that he would never have known if he hadn't looked very closely.

That then became a topic of conversation with several there who then seemed to look over the entire car very closely (wish I would have taken that picture actually). I know that nobody would just jump out and say he doesn't like it or would never have it done in this group, but surprisingly, the overwhelming conversation seemed to be that the Xpel was virtually undetectable unless one was looking for it. All appeared very impressed...and remember this is a very seasoned and knowledgeable group of Vette owners.

Now as for driving in the busiest part of Toronto with people on bikes whizzing by me.....yikes!!!

http://s187.photobucket.com/user/Zee...06-25-2015_HDR
I got the new 3M applied and completed this week. Picked it up Wednesday. I can tell the difference when looking. The difference is that most of the orange peel is gone (my car I would notice no one else would give 2 poops about) and it looks like I spent hours color sanding, buffing and waxing as the shine is a high gloss and very reflective. I would do it all again.

Those are some nice rides you and your friends have there.
Old 06-26-2015, 03:58 PM
alandi
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jps197
I having mine stuck tomorrow, front, 1/2 hood, mirrors, rockers and door sills, about $1,500. This is the 4th car I have had done all the same and by the same guy.
I am having basically the same package done next week by an Invisishield dealer (same film as Expel), except doing the lower rear quarter panels where the brake cooling air enters. This section had factory installed 3M film but it is not as good as the product used by Expel and Invisishield, and it is already showing signs of rock chips. Total price is $775 (the owner of the shop happens to be a friend so I got a little break). He has done over 200 Corvettes over the years and does not see the need for the entire car to get done, especially on the C7, because the top, hatch and rear usually never get a rock chip. I would go with the partial coverage and save yourself $3,000+.
Old 06-28-2015, 08:03 AM
tireman123
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AllFlash
I am about to get my car covered in Xpel Ultimate tomorrow and, until right now, I have been set on getting the car done completely. My quote for such in Canada from an authorized Xpel dealer is (gulp) $4200 but it is the standard here regardless of brand and installer...and actually cheap considering the Z06 has so much specialized work with the aero package etc. My reasoning goes back to my mannerisms as much as it does the fact that I spend alot of time in my car; it is not simply a garage showpiece.

With this in mind, I am wondering who has invested in 100% protection and if they are happy with it? Would they do it again? Is it completely transparent when done correctly?

Thanks ahead for the answers, and even suggestions from those who haven't gone 100% coverage...
3M pro total coverage $2800.00
Old 06-28-2015, 08:21 PM
Z06 1of38
Drifting

Received 677 Likes on 333 Posts

Want to come to my place and we can talk it over?

We can sit on my new couch

Just kidding. Has anyone seen or tried a spray on PP product?
Old 06-29-2015, 09:05 AM
BillY2KFRC
Le Mans Master

Received 349 Likes on 193 Posts

I really like the concept of fully clearing the new paint to prevent chips and scratches, but have a question. With my current black C5Z, I have a 3M clear bra that covers the entire nose and part way up the hood. The clear bra is about 3-4 years old and is quite swirled when viewed in the sun. The paint, since I can buff it, does not have any swirls. Since it's just the nose, I'm not too bothered, but when you do the whole car, is there any way buff the film? Or does the xpel prevent swirling better than my 3M film from a few years back?

Thank you!
Old 06-29-2015, 10:07 AM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

Received 917 Likes on 730 Posts

Originally Posted by BillY2KFRC
I really like the concept of fully clearing the new paint to prevent chips and scratches, but have a question. With my current black C5Z, I have a 3M clear bra that covers the entire nose and part way up the hood. The clear bra is about 3-4 years old and is quite swirled when viewed in the sun. The paint, since I can buff it, does not have any swirls. Since it's just the nose, I'm not too bothered, but when you do the whole car, is there any way buff the film? Or does the xpel prevent swirling better than my 3M film from a few years back?

Thank you!
You can buff the film but with the xpel ultimate I haven't seen any swirl marks. So far it looks great and once I applied sealant my car looks better than it did before xpel.
Old 06-29-2015, 01:36 PM
XPEL
Supporting Vendor

Received 272 Likes on 160 Posts

Allflash,

Sorry for delayed response...

The mirror kit will cover the impact areas, due to the construction of the film its near impossible to wrap the entire mirror’s painted surface. I attached the pattern below so you can see the mirror kits that are available for the corvette. As funz06 said, when you try to completely wrap the mirror the film starts to weaken from being stretched and results in the film coming off. Which is why there are seams on the mirror.

Name:  Screen Shot 2015-06-29 at 1.36.27 PM.png
Views: 182
Size:  27.7 KB

To better solve the issue, can you please take it to your installer and ask him to look at it. We want to make sure you’re taken care of…so please let us know what happens...If you can PM us your installer (if you don't want to post it on here) so we can make sure to reach out to them.

It’s completely fine, I understand you want to make sure it looks great, and so do we. Thank you for your business with XPEL!
Old 06-29-2015, 05:42 PM
errante
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Xpel in Miami

I had my Z06 done with full Xpel. It looks great and I am very pleased with the results. The installer did an excellent job. I am very pleased that they took their time and did not rush through it.

First Class Autosports of Miami did the install. The old caveat applies "paint protection, not paint correction"
Old 06-30-2015, 11:55 AM
99ta316
Pro

Originally Posted by tireman123
3M pro total coverage $2800.00
Did you go to Brad and PD? Thats where I went. We should meet up sometime since we are both in Summerville.
Old 07-01-2015, 09:24 AM
Patriot77
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

My suggestion and it is a good one is to be there when they install your XPEL or whatever brand you are using. I used a local company inn Omaha called "Auto Trim Design". They managed to put 2 small marks or rubs in the paint if you will. Rather than inspecting their work extremely well (which they didn't) they installed the XPEL right over the 2 small marks. Now they are sealed under the XPEL. If they had "buffed" them out first it would have been nice. But they didn't. Now Iam stuck with them. Just call me frustrated. I even showed them to the installer when I picked the car up and all he did was shrug his shoulders.
Old 07-01-2015, 09:31 AM
arturox2
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 70 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Patriot77
My suggestion and it is a good one is to be there when they install your XPEL or whatever brand you are using. I used a local company inn Omaha called "Auto Trim Design". They managed to put 2 small marks or rubs in the paint if you will. Rather than inspecting their work extremely well (which they didn't) they installed the XPEL right over the 2 small marks. Now they are sealed under the XPEL. If they had "buffed" them out first it would have been nice. But they didn't. Now Iam stuck with them. Just call me frustrated. I even showed them to the installer when I picked the car up and all he did was shrug his shoulders.
If you use an expert installer, this simply isn't necessary. Don't settle for the closest installer, cheapest installer, etc. Find one that can show you work they've done and truly are experts. As many have written on these ppf threads, the expertise of the installer is just as important as the film quality.
Old 07-01-2015, 09:44 AM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

I clayed and then polished mine before I took it. It made a big difference in the finished product. The xpel is paint protection but if you need paint correction it needs to be done before the xpel. Good luck.
Old 07-01-2015, 10:15 AM
99ta316
Pro

Originally Posted by badhabit_wb
I clayed and then polished mine before I took it. It made a big difference in the finished product. The xpel is paint protection but if you need paint correction it needs to be done before the xpel. Good luck.
My installer did this for me as part of his install. Which is nice. He hates having to do rework so he does this even if you do it. So great installers seem to be a must.
Old 07-01-2015, 12:26 PM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 99ta316
My installer did this for me as part of his install. Which is nice. He hates having to do rework so he does this even if you do it. So great installers seem to be a must.
You hit the nail on the head. The installer is the most important part of the equation.

Quick Reply: Who Has Invested in 100% Coverage Paint Protection (XPel/3m/etc)