C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Say all you want how great new ZO6 is, but....

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 01:23 AM
Mpwr247
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Say all you want how great new ZO6 is, but....

This is my thoughts on it. Today I was at willow spring raceway in sunny California temps were in the 100. I drove my 2014 m5 to track days all the time in temps like this or close to this because that's the day I have the itch for fun day and I don't care if the temp that day is high or low. Today I ran all day long,with AC, on best time was 1.38. Two guys bought their zo6 to the track. One had the engine replaced at 53 miles, crazy, but I can understand **** happens. He did the entire track set up and was excited to have his vette for the first time on the track. The second guy was also stock but no track set up. Both ran two sessions and both overheated. They couldn't finish the day both and went home early. I really wanted to love this car but seeing is believing. This car needs a proper cooling system. It's a joke that the car of this caliber can't run on hot days.
Old 06-29-2015, 01:46 AM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Old 06-29-2015, 02:12 AM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by Mpwr247
This is my thoughts on it. Today I was at willow spring raceway in sunny California temps were in the 100. I drove my 2014 m5 to track days all the time in temps like this or close to this because that's the day I have the itch for fun day and I don't care if the temp that day is high or low. Today I ran all day long,with AC, on best time was 1.38. Two guys bought their zo6 to the track. One had the engine replaced at 53 miles, crazy, but I can understand **** happens. He did the entire track set up and was excited to have his vette for the first time on the track. The second guy was also stock but no track set up. Both ran two sessions and both overheated. They couldn't finish the day both and went home early. I really wanted to love this car but seeing is believing. This car needs a proper cooling system. It's a joke that the car of this caliber can't run on hot days.
That only matter's if you track the car. I know honestly there are a few (small number of owners) people that do and people also follow and watch NASCAR. IMO there couldn't be anything less interesting or more time wasting and frankly wrecking your car, wearing out brake pads on a car designed for the street is far less than smart. For the street your
M5 is way in rear view mirror. I like mine. Your track story on a Corvette forum is a careless item as is your BMW.

Last edited by 3 Z06ZR1; 06-29-2015 at 02:19 AM.
Old 06-29-2015, 02:41 AM
MrGTC
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Were you running Streets of Willow? I hit 1.38 on my A8 Z51 a few months ago.
Old 06-29-2015, 02:44 AM
FAsnakes
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Snorman
Old 06-29-2015, 04:23 AM
four0nefive
Melting Slicks

Received 381 Likes on 236 Posts

Good for you that your M5 ran the whole day. I'm pretty sure no one cares how good it did here on a Corvette forum...
Old 06-29-2015, 08:08 AM
Checkmate1
Burning Brakes

Received 212 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by 3 Z06ZR1
That only matter's if you track the car. I know honestly there are a few (small number of owners) people that do and people also follow and watch NASCAR. IMO there couldn't be anything less interesting or more time wasting and frankly wrecking your car, wearing out brake pads on a car designed for the street is far less than smart. For the street your
M5 is way in rear view mirror. I like mine. Your track story on a Corvette forum is a careless item as is your BMW.
Not trying to defend the OP here but let's put this in perspective-

The C7 Z06 definitely needs to be better engineered to mitigate the overheating issue. After all, the 'Z06' designation was always meant to be the defining 'track' weapon from GM. This is not a car that was born to just be a boulevard brawler.

It absolutely needs to work on the track. No excuses. Period.

As to the 'street'- show me a place where one can truly open up these cars without hitting illegal speed limits or worse-cause fatalities at the hands of a bad driver.

As someone who owns a V8 M3, I can tell you the opportunities to stretch my cars legs are few and far between. Honestly, even anything over 200hp is wasted for average driving. If it ain't at the track periodically, it's simply not worth it.

As to why the 'overheating' issue matters, a car of the Z06's caliber needs to run laps 'consistently'. To think that a mere sedan like mine w/DCT can run in > 100' w/ no issue at the track is telling on GM's failure with the heating issue (especially with all the ducts and work they did on managing airflow)

Let's all be truly honest about this issue here as opposed to sweeping it under the rug.
Old 06-29-2015, 08:40 AM
67*427
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Checkmate1

The C7 Z06 definitely needs to be better engineered to mitigate the overheating issue. After all, the 'Z06' designation was always meant to be the defining 'track' weapon from GM. This is not a car that was born to just be a boulevard brawler.

As to the 'street'- show me a place where one can truly open up these cars without hitting illegal speed limits or worse-cause fatalities at the hands of a bad driver.

As someone who owns a V8 M3, I can tell you the opportunities to stretch my cars legs are few and far between. Honestly, even anything over 200hp is wasted for average driving. If it ain't at the track periodically, it's simply not worth it.

As to why the 'overheating' issue matters, a car of the Z06's caliber needs to run laps 'consistently'. To think that a mere sedan like mine w/DCT can run in > 100' w/ no issue at the track is telling on GM's failure with the heating issue (especially with all the ducts and work they did on managing airflow)

Let's all be truly honest about this issue here as opposed to sweeping it under the rug.
Old 06-29-2015, 09:08 AM
NGS
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 3 Z06ZR1
After all, this is what the bulk of Z06 owners end up doing with their cars.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...at-a-show.html
Old 06-29-2015, 09:08 AM
RandomTask
Race Director

Received 276 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by Checkmate1

Or, how about more people come along (OP’s May 2015 join date) and make a million more of these exact same threads; if only we had more people do this would we understand. I also like how the OP made sure to slip in the engine failure incident.
Old 06-29-2015, 09:15 AM
BOBSZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 319 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by Mpwr247

Do you know "DerStig"............ serious question
Old 06-29-2015, 09:16 AM
bhay1977
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Oh the horror! The abomination of zees man voicing dissent in the Third Sting-reich!

Off with his head, I say!

Heil General Motor! Heil General Motor!

Haha, you gotta be kidding me. This is how you roll over in the 'vette forum, huh? Trying to squash all dissent before....what....before word gets out that there is an actual FLAW in the Z06? This man's complaint isn't something to dismiss; it's a well documented and well supported FACT that the Z06 coolant system is garbage. I say again, it is a fact the Z06 coolant system is poorly engineered GARBAGE. To dismiss this guy's complaint means you're associating too much of your own identity with your car and need to rationally evaluate the vehicle instead of taking negative car critiques as attacks on your character. And to say it only applies to track days is entirely FALSE...an attempt to lessen the severity of HUGE ENGINEERING FLAW... that is absolutely not isolated to track days....if you haven't experienced it, you drive soft....probably automatic.

In the Z06s I've driven in the past 6 months (3 total), 2 out of 3 of them overheated and had to be towed back to the rental house on my FIRST DAY of driving. Was I pushing them hard? Hell yes. Should these well-broken in, but new Z06s have had any sort of cooling problem whatsoever, no matter how hard I drove them on the street? Hell no. So what of the 3rd one I drove? Well, it's too early to tell.....because the first 2, despite their cooling flaws, did not prevent me from walking into Auto Nation in Valencia, CA and buying one last night.

My point? --> That forums are meant to aid a car experience and part of that experience is being able to rationally, and objectively, discuss ENGINEERING SHORTCOMINGS, or design FLAWS, that need fixing. So Mr. OP, sir, I for one want to fully affirm, confirm, support everything you complain about and totally agree with you that it is a gigantic problem and something GM needs to address.
Old 06-29-2015, 09:18 AM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Originally Posted by RandomTask
Or, how about more people come along (OP’s May 2015 join date) and make a million more of these exact same threads; if only we had more people do this would we understand. I also like how the OP made sure to slip in the engine failure incident.
Hear, Hear!!!

Certainly we need MORE posts like this. Someone mentioned a "sweeping under the rug" going on....Don't know what forum you've been reading, it's certainly not Corvette Forum. There are 10 overheating threads a day.

Thanks to the OP for telling us what we already knew. I think I'll join a BMW forum and start some sh$t.

Jimmy
Old 06-29-2015, 09:19 AM
NGS
Pro

Originally Posted by bhay1977
Oh the horror! The abomination of zees man voicing dissent in the Third Sting-reich!

Haha, you gotta be kidding me. This is how you roll over in the 'vette forum, huh? Trying to squash all dissent before....what....before word gets out that there is an actual FLAW in the Z06? This man's complaint isn't something to dismiss; it's a well documented and well supported FACT that the Z06 coolant system is garbage. I say again, it is a fact the Z06 coolant system is poorly engineered GARBAGE. To dismiss this guy's complaint means you're associating too much of your own identity with your car and need to rationally evaluate the vehicle instead of taking negative car critiques as attacks on your character. And to say it only applies to track days is entirely FALSE...an attempt to lessen the severity of HUGE ENGINEERING FLAW... that is absolutely not isolated to track days....if you haven't experienced it, you drive soft....probably automatic.

In the Z06s I've driven in the past 6 months (3 total), 2 out of 3 of them overheated and had to be towed back to the rental house on my FIRST DAY of driving. Was I pushing them hard? Hell yes. Should these well-broken in, but new Z06s have had any sort of cooling problem whatsoever, no matter how hard I drove them on the street? Hell no. So what of the 3rd one I drove? Well, it's too early to tell.....because the first 2, despite their cooling flaws, did not prevent me from walking into Auto Nation in Valencia, CA and buying one last night.

My point? --> That forums are meant to aid a car experience and part of that experience is being able to rationally, and objectively, discuss ENGINEERING SHORTCOMINGS, or design FLAWS, that need fixing. So Mr. OP, sir, I for one want to fully affirm, confirm, support everything you complain about and totally agree with you that it is a gigantic problem and something GM needs to address.
There is one way to prevent the 3rd one from overheating...just limit it to car shows and all will be good. j/k
Old 06-29-2015, 09:19 AM
BOBSZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 319 Likes on 205 Posts

Is this a Holiday week or what?

Seems we have some new members......

Old 06-29-2015, 09:20 AM
bluestreak63
Safety Car

Received 286 Likes on 172 Posts

Good thing I came across this thread, I was about to put down a deposit on a 2016 Z06. I think I'll get an M5 instead.

Old 06-29-2015, 09:21 AM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Originally Posted by bhay1977

DerStig....is that you?

Thanks for your shockingly un-original post. Why are you here?

Jimmy

Get notified of new replies

To Say all you want how great new ZO6 is, but....

Old 06-29-2015, 09:22 AM
GP1224
Burning Brakes

Received 63 Likes on 41 Posts

Although we can all agree that a better cooling design could be had for the Z06 when tracking at 90+ (although I dont know why anyone tracks at 100 degrees ever in your street car thats just punishing the car)

The problem with the OPs post is to assume that BMWs dont have overheating issues at the track when they have. BMWs have had many an issue from overheated diffs, transmissions, engines, and even power steering

T:

Last edited by GP1224; 06-29-2015 at 09:48 AM.
Old 06-29-2015, 09:26 AM
NGS
Pro

Originally Posted by BOBSZ06
Is this a Holiday week or what?

Seems we have some new members......

Hmmm...not necessarily a new member...but one with a older model Z06. Too be honest, I thought it was fast enough the day I drove it off the lot. Within 6 months, I had headers and a cam and was beating the snot out of it at the drag strip. I then got new heads, new intake and TB along with slicks and skinnies and continued to beat the snot out of it at the track. I also took it to Pocono to do some road racing, but decided that was not my game. Ultimately, I replace the motor with a stroker for a lot more power, raced it and began breaking stuff in the rear left and right. I guess that is what you get when you drop the clutch on a sticky track and dead hook...lol.
Old 06-29-2015, 09:36 AM
bhay1977
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

"As to the 'street'- show me a place where one can truly open up these cars without hitting illegal speed limits or worse-cause fatalities at the hands of a bad driver."

A fatality from bad driving is equally possible on a circular track as it is on a public street, bad driving is a factor that has zero causal or correlative connection to the location in which one drives. It is exists independently. And re: the speed limit comment, do you mean to tell me that you drive the highway speed limit? If so, you are a man I could learn some restraint from. You have more mind control than buddha himself!

I for one cannot contain my urge to push her to the limit...i have opened the Z06 up over and over on mountain roads, on winding streets, on the 405, the 101, onramps, offramps, on gravel, in parking lots, parking structures, on gravel driveways, and on various dirt sediments. I burn rubber, I burn the clutch, I fishtail, I slam the brakes, I **** my pants, i scream lets go you sunovabitch! I race grandma, i race grandpa, I race soccer mom, i race --- okay i'll stop.

The Z06 has a design flaw. It is the coolant system. There is no question. It fails on the track...it fails on the street....but you, and I, still love it, dont we? lol

Quick Reply: Say all you want how great new ZO6 is, but....