C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Odd Issue |Tires|

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2015, 06:04 AM
innerconx
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
Default Odd Issue |Tires|

Hi Guys
Wondering if anyone else has run into this.

I have a drivers side rear tire loosing air pressure at a pretty good rate - maybe 8 to 10 psi over and 8 hour period. Tire has been checked by the dealer for bead leaks, punctures and they say (I have to believe them one of the mechanics is my nephew) valve stem leaks. All come up as negatives. No viable leaks even with tanks tests etc.

It seems to me I loose more air pressure when the car is moving then when its sitting.

Passenger side exhibits the same behavior - but not is such a dramatic way.

The only other thing I can think of is maybe the valve itself isn't seated properly? I know there is a rubber grommet on the TP sensor.

My thought is if this doesn't get resolved in the upcoming rim swap (car came with chrome - swapping for black) or my valve stem idea is a flop, I'd insist on tire replacement which in itself could be an issue because I hear that the Michelins are hard to come by.

Especially on a car with just 200 miles on it

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-04-2015, 08:33 AM
Thomasmoto
Race Director

Received 1,505 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Either way, your dealership should resolve it. It's not your burdon to find out what is causing it, its theirs. Just document it with your phone, in case they don't believe you for some reason, and show them or their district service representative. I've worked at a dealership before. We used to replace wheels and tires fairly regularly to solve problems. You might want to wait until after you get the new wheels and see if it continues first. If it doesn't, great and go on. The less they have your car the better.
Old 07-04-2015, 11:06 AM
innerconx
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '15

You're absolutely right. I just like to know whats going on.

And its good to know with your experience at a dealership that replacing tires and rims is not something out of the ordinary.

Rim swap happens Wed or Thursday and I am trying to cut a deal where I can keep the chromes as well

Thanks again for the response - I appreciate it.

Originally Posted by Thomasmoto
Either way, your dealership should resolve it. It's not your burdon to find out what is causing it, its theirs. Just document it with your phone, in case they don't believe you for some reason, and show them or their district service representative. I've worked at a dealership before. We used to replace wheels and tires fairly regularly to solve problems. You might want to wait until after you get the new wheels and see if it continues first. If it doesn't, great and go on. The less they have your car the better.
Old 07-04-2015, 11:42 AM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

Received 911 Likes on 727 Posts

It's odd that 2 are doing it. I've seen rims leak and I've seen leaks when trash gets between the bead and the rim but it's strange that 2 are doing it, especially on opposite sides of the car. Are you checking with a tire gauge or using the dash gauge? I guess if you've had to add air something strange is going on.
Old 07-04-2015, 12:41 PM
innerconx
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '15

Same side of the car and checking with both the on board monitors and a tire pressure gauge - they read the same.

Originally Posted by badhabit_wb
It's odd that 2 are doing it. I've seen rims leak and I've seen leaks when trash gets between the bead and the rim but it's strange that 2 are doing it, especially on opposite sides of the car. Are you checking with a tire gauge or using the dash gauge? I guess if you've had to add air something strange is going on.
Old 07-04-2015, 12:54 PM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

If it's the same side of the car there could be debris in the tires. I've had that happen, off road, with other vehicles especially after sliding sideways. Not saying that's what happened but you never know what happened before you picked the car up.
Old 07-04-2015, 01:26 PM
innerconx
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '15

I thought the same thing - I haven't had it sideways -yet - and the car had 3 miles on it when I picked it up

Originally Posted by badhabit_wb
If it's the same side of the car there could be debris in the tires. I've had that happen, off road, with other vehicles especially after sliding sideways. Not saying that's what happened but you never know what happened before you picked the car up.
Old 07-04-2015, 02:38 PM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

If it was a normal tire I'd say unmount them and check the beads for trash. So many people have had problems getting the beads to seat that I would make sure they know what they're doing when they do that. It still sounds like something that happened on that side but who knows.
Old 07-04-2015, 05:06 PM
apex97
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

My C6 Z07 with Cup2 tires has had an intermittent slow leak in the left rear since new..it comes and goes and no one seems to be able to find it...and of course if I show it to any tire dealer they tell me the tires are too worn out to service..been saying that since the first week I owned it..morons.

Get notified of new replies

To Odd Issue |Tires|

Quick Reply: Odd Issue |Tires|