C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Porting manifolds/cat pipe project

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2015, 02:38 PM
0NORCAL-SS
Former Vendor

Received 328 Likes on 232 Posts
Default Porting manifolds/cat pipe project

With my car blowing up and all the warranty talk I have decided to take on a project and give all my feedback here. Seeing headers/non catted x pipe on local c7 z06s give 15 to 20 hp at wheels without tuning and add underhood Temps plus void warranty I want to try something different out and give the community results.

Talking to the dealer about warranty issues they said that as long as cats are not taken out ot moved from oem location I will keep the warranty.

So I shot out a set of stock z06 manifolds to get ported and I will be opening up the inlets on the oem cat pipes. Oem cat pipes most of the restriction is on the inlet. I will port match the inlet to the exhaust gasket and I just need to see if I can modify the pipe going into the cats to get smoother flow.

I will also ceramic coat the oem set up to keep underhood Temps down and will match the corsa coated x pipe I have.

I will do a baseline pull then change the items and do another pull. Then to finish it off install the corsa x pipe and do another pull.

I feel that a ported oem exhaust manifold/cat pipes/corsa mid pipe will be close to what long tube headers give (no tune)without voiding warranty, also the cost should be $1000 to $1200 less than buying aftermarket headers.

I will keep everyone updated.

I attached the inlet of oem cat pipes. You can clearly see you can open up the inlet and also if it works get rid of that flat spot and make it a tapered pipe setup to bthe cats. I just need to see if that can be done when I get car on lift
Attached Images   
Old 07-13-2015, 02:43 PM
jdmdohcpower
Burning Brakes

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

I would imagine if the gains are near what long tubes provide you would need to tune?
Old 07-13-2015, 02:46 PM
foreverfuelie
Burning Brakes

Received 197 Likes on 144 Posts

Subscribe.
Old 07-13-2015, 03:00 PM
0NORCAL-SS
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by jdmdohcpower
I would imagine if the gains are near what long tubes provide you would need to tune?
Long tubes wuth no tune make 20 at wheels. The tune is what picks up more and voids warranty. Same goes for oem setup. You can tune it to get more power but voids warranty.

What I'm looking at is cost for hp gained. I deal with arh for C7s a lot. Done many setups.

For lets say 2 inch headers non catted 2k and with no tune get 20hp vs porting stock manifolds $500 and modding cat pipes 15hp I think that's a good bang for buck combo then add in corsa x pipe prob gain 2 or 3hp it will make it even closer and you still have your warranty. . Corsa x pipe 450 on ebay with porting manifolds looking prob around $1k

This will all be a test and just give me some time and at the same time I'm not saying going with headers is a waste because people who don't care about tuning and voiding warranty will make more power I'm just trying a different route and since I do a lot of testing on the street and I'd love to open hood and say it's a bone stock z06 lol

Last edited by NORCAL-SS; 07-13-2015 at 03:07 PM.
Old 07-13-2015, 03:15 PM
BoilerAnimal
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought that the Corsa X pipe removes the rear set of cats ?
Old 07-13-2015, 03:21 PM
0NORCAL-SS
Former Vendor

Yes my dealer didn't have issues with that since it won't set off any engine codes. If you remove cats in front it sets off codes and will void it.
Old 07-13-2015, 03:30 PM
jdmdohcpower
Burning Brakes

If it makes power and is cheap im in. Maybe even get a diablo ghost tune at that point. Would like to see how that turns out with dealers. yes I said it but that's a whole different topic so please don't bring that here

Last edited by jdmdohcpower; 07-13-2015 at 03:32 PM.
Old 07-13-2015, 04:36 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by NORCALSS
Long tubes wuth no tune make 20 at wheels. The tune is what picks up more and voids warranty. Same goes for oem setup. You can tune it to get more power but voids warranty.

What I'm looking at is cost for hp gained. I deal with arh for C7s a lot. Done many setups.

For lets say 2 inch headers non catted 2k and with no tune get 20hp vs porting stock manifolds $500 and modding cat pipes 15hp I think that's a good bang for buck combo then add in corsa x pipe prob gain 2 or 3hp it will make it even closer and you still have your warranty. . Corsa x pipe 450 on ebay with porting manifolds looking prob around $1k

This will all be a test and just give me some time and at the same time I'm not saying going with headers is a waste because people who don't care about tuning and voiding warranty will make more power I'm just trying a different route and since I do a lot of testing on the street and I'd love to open hood and say it's a bone stock z06 lol
I think you need you get rid of the 289 cfm stock air intake box and filter
to gain much. Then your not bone stock, Just like if you port the manifolds it's not really either.
The Halltech box is an easy mod and no tuning an the car does everything better. Then if you do port you'll get more out of it.
But none of is still bone stock.
Old 07-13-2015, 04:43 PM
0NORCAL-SS
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by 3 Z06ZR1
I think you need you get rid of the 289 cfm stock air intake box and filter
to gain much. Then your not bone stock, Just like if you port the manifolds it's not really either.
The Halltech box is an easy mod and no tuning an the car does everything better. Then if you do port you'll get more out of it.
But none of is still bone stock.
My thread is for results on exhaust I really don't care about intakes because it's already been dynoed. I'm trying to get more power out of car while keeping warranty and stock tune plus will make car sound more aggressive. Main goal is to see just how well stock exhaust can be upgraded

Last edited by NORCAL-SS; 07-13-2015 at 04:52 PM.
Old 07-16-2015, 01:17 PM
0NORCAL-SS
Former Vendor

Exhaust manifolds are done being ported I should have them here next week. The z06 manifolds are about 4 pounds heavier then the c7 cast iron manifolds. So if someone wants to save 8 pounds they can put c7 msnifolds on.

Last edited by NORCAL-SS; 07-16-2015 at 02:05 PM.
Old 07-16-2015, 02:07 PM
jdmdohcpower
Burning Brakes

sub'ed
Old 07-16-2015, 05:55 PM
Shurshot
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you going to be able to port the whole length of the exhaust pipe runner, or just match up inlets and exits?

There is a process for doing the inside of the factory header runners that some guys use for trying to set class records called extrude-a- hone or other similar names

I pulled these guys just to share a link and have no idea as to their work quality

http://boneheadperformance.com/extrude-honing/

I will say when I looked into doing this years ago I did not think it was worth the money for the small gain in power

Porting intake systems is another matter and IMO results in a better bang for the buck
Old 07-16-2015, 06:42 PM
0NORCAL-SS
Former Vendor

Check out map performance they port out oem.runners and have flow sheets for c7
Old 07-16-2015, 06:45 PM
tail_lights
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 210 Posts

Old 07-17-2015, 03:33 PM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

Received 5,857 Likes on 2,975 Posts

Originally Posted by Shurshot
Are you going to be able to port the whole length of the exhaust pipe runner, or just match up inlets and exits?

There is a process for doing the inside of the factory header runners that some guys use for trying to set class records called extrude-a- hone or other similar names

I pulled these guys just to share a link and have no idea as to their work quality

http://boneheadperformance.com/extrude-honing/

I will say when I looked into doing this years ago I did not think it was worth the money for the small gain in power

Porting intake systems is another matter and IMO results in a better bang for the buck
Here are my porting results, which will be magnified with boost: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...manifolds.html
Old 07-17-2015, 04:26 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Received 164 Likes on 148 Posts

So unlike those CAI's other than HP/TQ the dyno won't change!?

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 07-17-2015 at 06:16 PM.
Old 07-17-2015, 06:09 PM
0NORCAL-SS
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by johnglenntwo
So unlike those CAI's other than HP/TQ the dyno won't change!?:Thumbs:
Not sure what you mean. If I can get 15 hp out of these while keeping warranty I'll be happy

Get notified of new replies

To Porting manifolds/cat pipe project

Old 07-17-2015, 06:22 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Default Right!

Not sure what you mean. If I can get 15 hp out of these while keeping warranty I'll be happy
Those CAI's caused lean issues observable on their dyno's AFR's. It is probably really stupid here though, since, this has nothing to do with the MAFS. So just asking and good MOD!
I remember a while back (maybe even in the 80s) someone doing a space age coating in a 240MPH Porsche turbo rally street car all the way through. The believe the driver died, but, the coating did its job well. Much of the heat went right out of the tailpipe!

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 07-17-2015 at 07:03 PM.
Old 07-17-2015, 07:35 PM
0NORCAL-SS
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by johnglenntwo
Those CAI's caused lean issues observable on their dyno's AFR's. It is probably really stupid here though, since, this has nothing to do with the MAFS. So just asking and good MOD!
I remember a while back (maybe even in the 80s) someone doing a space age coating in a 240MPH Porsche turbo rally street car all the way through. The believe the driver died, but, the coating did its job well. Much of the heat went right out of the tailpipe!
here is cfm vs stock
dark blue line ported on each runner
light blue oem
almost 50 cfm on runner 3

Old 07-17-2015, 07:51 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Default Sweet!

here is cfm vs stock
dark blue line ported on each runner