C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Corvette Forum Scoop: Horsepower Figures for Callaway Z06 Announced

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 03:33 PM
thebishman
Melting Slicks

Received 739 Likes on 485 Posts

Originally Posted by Callaway Chris
Of course we have data. As an engineering company, we live my the numbers. However, it's not for release at this time. Thank you.
Chris, excuse me, but your very own advertising for this package states "lap after lap" regarding heat management. How can you not release the details of how much better the Callaway Z06 is on a road course regarding engine oil and water temps? Owners are sending you their cars, and paying good money based on such claims, and as we've seen in the other thread, some of these owners are planing on tracking the car after the Callaway mods. Shouldn't they have access to the data?

And lastly, are we to assume that Callaway drove a stock Z06 aggressively on a road course, generated PDR or other hard data, and then drove that same car with the new S/C package getting much lower engine oil and water temps?

Thanks for any clarification.

Bish
Old 07-28-2015, 04:12 PM
0Callaway Chris
Former Vendor

Received 738 Likes on 419 Posts

Bish,

Thanks for the post and your excitement over the package. It's a great time to be a Corvette owner!

For some who plan on tracking the car a bunch, they have contracted us to instal their supplied aux HD radiators. No problem, we can do that. And in the very near future, we'll release pricing for our optional system, which comes from dealer and consumer demand.

In the meantime, what's been posted about managing temps from our ultra-efficient supercharger are all a big to do, and huge factor overall. From 1. our Triple Element Intercooler System, 2. Large volume supercharger housing and intake manifold runner design, 3. Large volume intercooler fluid system w/ high flow pump, 4. Convective heat transfer from airflow over the exposed supercharger housing, 5. Opening in the hood helps to allow hot air extract from nine compartment, 6. Efficient supercharger design generates less heat, than o.e. unit.

I hope this helps
Old 07-28-2015, 06:36 PM
GTJim
Melting Slicks

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

IBTL!!! Haters gonna hate!!! No one has seen what the car can do on the track yet so no sense jumping to conclusions. If it's that big of a deal wait till someone tracks the car and reports back on how it does. If it doesn't perform to your expectations then don't buy it!!! Seems simple enough to me.
Old 07-28-2015, 06:44 PM
rwheelz
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

Perhaps the Calloway tuning is part of the solution- less timing retard would create much less heat within the engine and help prevent the overheating issues. I agree with you guys though, I would want to hear how it withstood hot-lapping before taking the plunge.
Old 07-28-2015, 07:32 PM
dio55
Racer

Received 190 Likes on 62 Posts

The overheating issue has been reduced to an over simplified equation that heat built up in the engine are somehow compartmentalized into oil, water ,and supercharger ...That is not how physics works ...The entire system reaches an equilibrium temperature depending on the engine stress at the time ....You increase the heat exchange in one parameter you reduce the temperature of all because heat exchange exists between ALL the parameters as well .
The convection cooling here will be MASSIVELY enhanced and that can as much as a 33% of total cooling
The IAT reduction together with the increased air volume (which will be at a lower temp) will also add massively to cooling ...(our sinuses are there to warm up the air we breath so we don't lose all our internal body heat and die in cold weather...this is the opposite of that)
All this is just to say stop viewing heat exchange cooling as only done by the radiator and oil coolers ...and remember that the ONLY way to cool 6000hp top fuel dragsters is to inject water and alcohol into the intake to reduce IAT which does MORE than 60% of engine cooling
Lastly please try to remember that there are limits to how much coolant you can flow through an engine without causing eddy cavitation than can REDUCE cooling and sometime cut off flow altogether through some of the intricate passages thereby causing extreme hotspots and catastrophic failure ...This could be the reason NOBODY want's to mess with radiator and flow in this engine which is more compact than most due to its tiny heads
Just my humble opinion and something to think about

Last edited by dio55; 08-01-2015 at 04:35 PM.
Old 07-28-2015, 08:23 PM
Lipstic
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 112 Likes on 60 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16,'19
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Old 07-29-2015, 10:21 AM
Ceptor
Team Owner

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Originally Posted by Lipstic
I'll give you a ride
I want one too... see you in Carlisle
Old 07-29-2015, 11:04 AM
mirage2991
Safety Car

Received 250 Likes on 163 Posts

Real classy, Andy

That's cute, I'm sure Andy and other alike can find a solution as well…so are many other "shops"…but until they have a contract with GM where they are recognized and approved by GM, where GM agrees to keep a warranty on said modified vehicle, those shops are simply not on the same planet as you….that's a big achievement…and too keep it going for this long, speaks quite a bit…wether one like or dislike what callaway does, it is still a fact and something to be proud…I think the only other group that did that was SLP back in the days….
Old 07-29-2015, 11:21 AM
Lipstic
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 112 Likes on 60 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16,'19
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by Interceptor430
I want one too... see you in Carlisle
I will be happy to give you a ride
Old 07-29-2015, 11:38 AM
L Duncan
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 33 Posts

Is the 757/777 crank or rwhp?
Old 07-29-2015, 12:29 PM
truth.b
Drifting

Received 119 Likes on 91 Posts

Of course we have data. As an engineering company, we live my the numbers. However, it's not for release at this time. Thank you.

Chris,

I congratulate you and your team for all you hard work. As a server performance engineer I understand how difficult the process can be to get everything nailed down and validated. And luckily I don't have the added bonus of anxious customers asking daily when its going to be done. Although with this in mind I do have a few questions about the lap after lap statement quoted above. First off, if my following questions come off as "trolling and/or disrespectful" I apologize in advance because this is not my intent.

So I search the web and read a several press released on the package and not all of them have included the above "lap after lap" statement. So my first question, is was that statement an officially position by Callaway or has it been inferred from the press release by an author somewhere and basically populated throughout various sites?

Secondly, if the statement is correct: "how was the lap-after-lap metric validated?" More specifically: "What tracks were used during the process, where there multiple highly skilled test drivers with varying driving styles? Where you guys able to do testing in AZ, TX, FL, or CA (with their 91 gas) ?"

Lastly, without exposing any trade secrets is it too much to ask for PDR videos with data to demonstrate the package's lap-after-lap capabilities. Specifically I would be interested in seeing a highly skilled driver pilot an A8 car in D mode for roughly a 20~30mins advanced HPDE session with in minimum traffic.

Once again my questions are to really understand the type of testing that went into this package. I understand that some cars overheat and other don't but I'm most interested in how you guys planned for the most skilled & aggressive drivers.

Take care and one again thank you for you work.

-Truth
So Chris,

Does this mean that none of my questions from the other thread that is now closed will be addressed or answered? (specifically the ones in bold)

- Truth
Old 07-29-2015, 12:51 PM
SurfnSun
Team Owner

Received 522 Likes on 342 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Do you honestly think a small'ish company like Callaway is going to ferry a car to 4-5 different states for testing?

I have serious doubts that even GM did that. I don't recall seeing any pics of the C7 Z wearing camo at that many different venues.

People on this forum are completely being completely unreasonable about this Callaway build.

Last edited by SurfnSun; 07-29-2015 at 01:16 PM.
Old 07-29-2015, 01:06 PM
0Callaway Chris
Former Vendor

Received 738 Likes on 419 Posts

Originally Posted by truth.b
So Chris,

Does this mean that none of my questions from the other thread that is now closed will be addressed or answered? (specifically the ones in bold)

- Truth
Post #39 addresses your questions. Thank you.
Old 07-29-2015, 01:36 PM
0Myhardtop
Former Vendor

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Andy@AandASuperchargers
I'm surprised that will all their engineering capability that all they have done is add a better supercharger.
They should be quite capable of looking at the entire package and definitively solving the heating issues.
I applaud their 3 intercooler design but that will do nothing for the oil and water overheating. Heat soak, at the track, really is not the issue here.
C'mon Callaway, build a complete system that will fix the issues once and for all.
If you don't I, or another aftermarket manufacturer, surely will.
YEP! I agree. With you on the other items. This Texas heat is killing these cars.

However, great job by Callaway nonetheless.

Thanks,
Carlos
Old 07-29-2015, 01:36 PM
truth.b
Drifting

Received 119 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by SurfnSun
Do you honestly think a small'ish company like Callaway is going to ferry a car to 4-5 different states for testing?

I have serious doubts that even GM did that. I don't recall seeing any pics of the C7 Z wearing camo at that many different venues.

People on this forum are completely being completely unreasonable about this Callaway build.
No I don't think they would travel to ALL those places and rent a track on their own, but I do think it feasible to attend a HPDE's in few of those areas with the companies local hot shoes. I don't know if you noticed but I picked very popular states that have good tracks with ample HPDE tracks days. Often when I'm at VIR there is usually a group of guys testing out some crazy build in the Advanced Group. That is all I was asking, which I don't think is unreasonable for an engineering company that has made a very specific and easily verifiable claim.

Post #39 addresses your questions. Thank you.
I see, take care and thanks for the response. I shall patiently await further press releases.

Old 08-24-2015, 05:18 PM
kutlow
Drifting

Received 208 Likes on 135 Posts

How do you sell a car and be afraid to back up the power claims with a dyno and video. Just seeing numbers on a dyno doesn't give any secrets away. Love to see someone like Vengeance build one of these so we could see it in several forms from stock to heads and can and etc.

Quick Reply: Corvette Forum Scoop: Horsepower Figures for Callaway Z06 Announced