C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

OFFICIAL Callaway C7 Z06 Owners Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2015, 09:46 PM
pattikins
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 2014 Callaway converted Stingray

Originally Posted by OnPoint
Looks like Callaway is shipping out the first of the 757 hp Zs. I looked and didn't see a thread - so let's have an official Callaway C7 Z06 owners thread.

So post up who's in.

And definitely post up when you get your Callaway - will be fun to see these hit the ground and owners have a chance to explore them.

Also good to make connections with people who have them.
Even though we do not have a Z06 I wanted to post this. Attended the Callaway Motors East Lyme Ct open house last weekend and it was great! Amazing how many Z06's are being converted and are on the waiting list. They do an awesome job and the car is so much fun to drive. It is the center of attention at all the local car shows!
The following users liked this post:
Z06Ronald (10-16-2015)
Old 10-15-2015, 10:25 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

I like that pair of Corvettes in your driveway...congrats, again, Travis !

Gary
Old 10-19-2015, 10:29 AM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,447 Likes on 2,272 Posts

Originally Posted by arturox2
Congratulations!! Great to hear that strong feedback! Beautiful beast!! I think it's great that you, like me, had your factory stock configuration to drive and enjoy, and can now really appreciate the contrast with the Callaway engineered solution!!

I have an M7 and also opted for the Callaway shifter. I've asked Callaway to install the Akrapovic Evolution exhaust system because I want to keep the exhaust control functionality.

I attended the Callaway Cars Open House last Saturday and really enjoyed meeting Chris and the team, learning about the company's history, taking a detailed shop tour with Scott, and meeting other Callaway owners who drove their cars to the event. My car was there "waiting" and should go into production sometime this week. I am two to three weeks behind you! Trying to distract myself with client work and travel so the time sneaks by.

I think you'll be impressed with the shifter. And the akra exhaust is splendidly made and a great set-up. Also a great choice.

Won't be long and you'll be hooning around in yours.

Originally Posted by JHEBERT
Travis, you are going to love that thing! . . . . For a car that's new and I have not modded yet, this thing is BAD A** all the way.

Going to work? Allow a little extra time, people are going to want to pull over and see the car. I've already made new friends in law enforcement.

Bah. Hopefully the local Constabulary are car guys.

Originally Posted by Gary '09 C6
I like that pair of Corvettes in your driveway...congrats, again, Travis !

Gary

Thanks Gary - they are definitely a fun pair.

Old 10-22-2015, 02:53 PM
djpatrick35
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by JHEBERT
Travis, you are going to love that thing! I can tell you I just hit 499mi last night as I was pulling into the driveway, so I put the car on my lift for the oil change. My dealer only had 2qts of the ls gear oil so that will wait another day...while I was under the car poking around:

If u had no idea of what Callaway does to these cars you would never be able to pick out the non-GM components in the system. Every part looks like it's from the OE supplier, uses OE connections, and truly does look like they ALL come this way (they should). As soon as my rear rims show up (any day now) I plan to head out to No Problem Raceway to make a couple 1/4mi passes with the a8. With 540mi on it today and having laid into it, I have to say, it's a handful and then some. I am coming from a 822rwhp zr1 that I converted to auto, so nothing really shocks me power wise but DAMN, I've done NOTHING but change the oil and use some throttle, sport cup 2 no good at 65mph (wot) on the street in drive with TC off. No drama, just torque, and plenty of it. For a car that's new and I have not modded yet, this thing is BAD A** all the way.

Going to work? Allow a little extra time, people are going to want to pull over and see the car. I've already made new friends in law enforcement. The fun just never stops, and I can tell you that Burt Reynolds would have **** on himself if that T/A would have had the lt4 with the Callaway SC on it. Buford would have gotten his man and that cop car would have stunk all the way back to Texas.

Does this make me a Callaway nutswinger? I don't know, talk to me after the track
I think what strikes me about my car and it seems to be what your getting at here is the attention to detail. I was looking at the engine the other day and all of the hoses look like they came from the factory that way, all placed perfectly, all cut the right size, everything perfect!

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure other shops out there do great jobs, but like you said, this thing is something where if I hadn't deliberately taken BEFORE photos of everything that I kind of knew that were changing, I wouldn't have been able to pick it out as non-stock. It's spectacular.

Having 627 (I know, little guy in the room ) horsepower was something that I was a bit wary of getting into because I was wondering about throttle response, etc. but this car drives like it was always meant to have it. It's as if my LT1 always had 627 horsepower - or, for you guys, I'd imaging your LT4s always had 757.

This car doesn't want to kill me - instead, it just BEGS to go faster. Now that I have one Callaway, I just want another one.
Old 10-26-2015, 08:35 PM
Lrn2Swm
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

This thread seems awfully quiet. I can only assume it is because you are all out enjoying your Callaways.

I will be paying for mine tomorrow. How happy are you guys and gals?

If anyone has the double d exhaust and can record a clip I would forever be in your debt!

Bill
Old 10-26-2015, 09:30 PM
Z06Ronald
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Hey Bill, the least thing we expect are a couple of exciting pictures by the proud owners, right?!
Lrn2Swm (10-26-2015)
Old 10-26-2015, 09:35 PM
KEZ06
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts
Default Finally...

Originally Posted by Lrn2Swm
This thread seems awfully quiet. I can only assume it is because you are all out enjoying your Callaways.

If anyone has the double d exhaust and can record a clip I would forever be in your debt!

Bill
Well all I am finally picking up my red lady from the return trip back to the dealership from Callaway tomorrow. Long time coming. As you know from my first post it got to the California shop on 8-12-15. I can only hope the execution is worth the wait. Turned 49 today getting my gift tomorrow. I really am excited to own my first Vette!!
Old 10-26-2015, 09:45 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Lrn2Swm

Bill

Been travelling for a few days. Back today. I'll try to get a sound clip up in the next few days of the Callaway exhaust.

But, I can tell you from first hand experience , it is a fabulous system. Much improved over their prior system (and I liked that one).

The exhaust is a no-brainer, must have in IMO. It makes the stock set up seem low rent by a large measure, and the Callaway system has no drone.
Lrn2Swm (10-26-2015)
Old 10-26-2015, 09:47 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by KEZ06
Well all I am finally picking up my red lady from the return trip back to the dealership from Callaway tomorrow. Long time coming. As you know from my first post it got to the California shop on 8-12-15. I can only hope the execution is worth the wait. Turned 49 today getting my gift tomorrow. I really am excited to own my first Vette!!
Congrats.

You won't be disappointed. They are very well done - and much, much stronger than stock.
Lrn2Swm (10-26-2015)
Old 10-26-2015, 09:55 PM
soulsea
Alcoholics Unanimous
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,642 Likes on 413 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16

Quick q on behalf of a friend who's not on the forum ...

Let's say someone takes delivery of a new Z06 at their local (non callaway) Chevy dealer, and decides to ship the car to callaway after delivery. Is it better to wait till after the 500 mile service to do the conversion, is it better to do it immediately, or does it not matter?
Old 10-26-2015, 09:57 PM
Lrn2Swm
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Congrats! and Happy Birthday! I know what you will be doing.
Old 10-26-2015, 10:03 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by soulsea
Quick q on behalf of a friend who's not on the forum ...

Let's say someone takes delivery of a new Z06 at their local (non callaway) Chevy dealer, and decides to ship the car to callaway after delivery. Is it better to wait till after the 500 mile service to do the conversion, is it better to do it immediately, or does it not matter?

Soul, I'm not sure it matters, as he can do either with Callaway. I suppose if he wants to drive it for the first 500 miles and make sure the car doesn't have any bugs/issues, and get the break-in process out of the way, that frees him up to be able to really play around with it when it gets back from Callaway. After getting mine back (and mine was beyond the break-in period when I sent it to them), I'm not certain I could behave in this thing for 500 miles. It's just too damn much fun to keep your foot out of it.

Also gives a nice, back-to-back comparison of the car. Which, he'll notice in the positive. One of my first thoughts driving mine after getting it back is that Tadge needs to drive one these and feel what correct throttle tuning is for the Z, let alone the massive jump in power.

Either way, he'd be fine. I did find some value in being able to experience the car stock and then after Callaway worked it.

Last edited by OnPoint; 10-26-2015 at 10:20 PM.
Old 10-26-2015, 10:16 PM
Fusco1973
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also had a chance to break mine in before Callaway did there magic. Should of came this way stock.Happy Birthday and you will not be disappointed!!! Have fun!!!
Old 10-26-2015, 10:17 PM
soulsea
Alcoholics Unanimous
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '15-'16

Soul, I'm not sure it matters, as he can do either with Callaway. I suppose if he wants to drive it for the first 500 miles and make sure the car doesn't have any bugs/issues, and get the break-in process out of the way, that frees him up to be able to really play around with it when it gets back from Callaway. After getting mine back (and mine was beyond the break-in period when I sent it to them), I'm not certain I could behave in this thing for 500 miles. It's just too damn much fun to keep your foot out of it.

Also gives a nice, back-to-back comparison of the car. Which, he'll notice in the positive. One of my first thoughts driving mine after getting it back is that Tadge needs to drive one these and feel what correct throttle tuning is for the Z.

Either way, he'd be fine. I did find some value in being able to experience the car stock and then after Callaway worked it.
Thanks bud. The ability to have the original experience from which to compare is a very valid point. I just didn't know if fluid changes were part of the callaway conversion. If they were I would tell him to run the first 500 miles and not bother with the dealer service cause Callaway would be swapping fluids anyway as part of their protocol. It would just save him one of his free services.
Old 10-26-2015, 10:26 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by soulsea
Thanks bud. The ability to have the original experience from which to compare is a very valid point. I just didn't know if fluid changes were part of the callaway conversion. If they were I would tell him to run the first 500 miles and not bother with the dealer service cause Callaway would be swapping fluids anyway as part of their protocol. It would just save him one of his free services.
I don't think they drop the engine oil when they do the swap. I think your friend should have the first oil change done prior to sending it to be upgraded.

I did have them check my differential fluid to make sure it was full, and check sound of the diff to make sure it was good to go. I hadn't heard any diff noise or anything, but saw enough threads in here to know some have had that issue, and I wanted them to give mine a clean bill of health if it in fact was good to go, which it was.
Old 10-26-2015, 10:28 PM
soulsea
Alcoholics Unanimous
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '15-'16

I don't think they drop the engine oil when they do the swap. I think your friend should have the first oil change done prior to sending it to be upgraded.

I did have them check my differential fluid to make sure it was full, and check sound of the diff to make sure it was good to go. I hadn't heard any diff noise or anything, but saw enough threads in here to know some have had that issue, and I wanted them to give mine a clean bill of health if it in fact was good to go, which it was.
Thanks again.
Old 10-26-2015, 11:33 PM
arturox2
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 70 Likes on 61 Posts

Excellent! Congratulations!

Get notified of new replies

To OFFICIAL Callaway C7 Z06 Owners Thread

Old 10-26-2015, 11:37 PM
arturox2
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 70 Likes on 61 Posts

Also gives a nice, back-to-back comparison of the car. Which, he'll notice in the positive. One of my first thoughts driving mine after getting it back is that Tadge needs to drive one these and feel what correct throttle tuning is for the Z, let alone the massive jump in power.

I sent my car to Callaway with about 4,000 miles on the odometer. Like OnPoint, I look forward to the comparison of "before" and "after" since I had a good amount of time in different driving situations with the car before handing it over to Callaway. I don't believe I would've had enough of a feel for the car after only 500 or so miles.
Old 10-27-2015, 07:23 AM
DocHolliday
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by arturox2
I sent my car to Callaway with about 4,000 miles on the odometer. Like OnPoint, I look forward to the comparison of "before" and "after" since I had a good amount of time in different driving situations with the car before handing it over to Callaway. I don't believe I would've had enough of a feel for the car after only 500 or so miles.
Really looking forward to hearing your thoughts. The guys at Callaway are top notch and go above and beyond; I'm sure you'll love it.
Old 10-27-2015, 11:57 AM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Great news.

Let us know what you think, and post up some pics if you get the chance.

Congrats.

Quick Reply: OFFICIAL Callaway C7 Z06 Owners Thread