C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Track report @ Lime Rock 8/4/15

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2015, 09:00 AM
maniac719
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Track report @ Lime Rock 8/4/15

Car ran 4 25 minute sessions with absolutely ZERO issues. Ambient temps 85*, max oil 279*, max water 235. My first time at this track, but put in respectable and consistent 1:02.XX's when not in traffic.

Need tire pressure advice though. Hot they were running 40 PSI, felt like too much, any recommendations? Also any line advice for Lime Rock based on the video? I know I need less brake on the sweepers after the hill, and also need to be flat climbing the hill.

Old 08-05-2015, 09:04 AM
mookiec
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice runs. LR is a great circuit that takes some time to get real fast but you did very well.
Old 08-05-2015, 12:48 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

27 PSI cold. You want 33-35 hot max.

Of course, unless you can run the entire 25 minutes without any laps being over a minute nobody will believe you are driving the car hard. /sarcasm.
Old 08-05-2015, 01:02 PM
DLC7
Drifting

Received 107 Likes on 83 Posts

PDR Vid heaven right?

OP- Please add more if you haz.
Old 08-05-2015, 01:15 PM
DLC7
Drifting

Yeah!

Turn 5 in that uphill stretch flat out seems pretty sketchy.

OP- Have other Z06's been taking turn 5 wide open uphill?

Id also like to know, if you are going flat out there...what is the line.?

As you start to accelerate there, should you be about mid-track?, then as power is applied and you track out, should the car end up almost all the way too the left of the track?

When i view other cars on the same stretch of track on youtube, there is a huge variation with regard to the cars position on entry. Some drivers are hugging the right side of the track as they enter the uphill.

Can anyone comment about the proper line for the Z06 please? Thanks.
Old 08-05-2015, 03:21 PM
TKOGTO
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Poor-sha
27 PSI cold. You want 33-35 hot max.

Of course, unless you can run the entire 25 minutes without any laps being over a minute nobody will believe you are driving the car hard. /sarcasm.
Regularly do low 1:01s in A6 GS with Michelin PSS so 1:02.50 is not pushing a Z07. Not a matter of believing it, it's just a fact. Not looking for a pissing contest here but driving it and diving it hard are 2 different things. Good drivers (better than me) in a Miata can do 1:02.50. Good Z07 drivers do, well I don't know. They pass me in No Name and they're in Big Bend as I am just crossing S/F.

On the other hand, I measured the paddock temp @ 127* and I've never felt the track as greasy as it was yesterday. The LHer was a skating rink. No grip high, low or in between. Also, since it was the OP's 1st time on the track, that time is not bad at all.

Maniac719 - PM me your e-mail address, I have a book of notes on every crevice of that track - happy to share.
Old 08-05-2015, 05:23 PM
maniac719
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DLC7
Yeah!

As you start to accelerate there, should you be about mid-track?, then as power is applied and you track out, should the car end up almost all the way too the left of the track?

When i view other cars on the same stretch of track on youtube, there is a huge variation with regard to the cars position on entry. Some drivers are hugging the right side of the track as they enter the uphill.

I was running in the blue group because it was my first time at lime rock so I can't comment on how the advanced drivers took the hill, but I did see a lot of variation on it overall. I've been told the fastest line there is to let yourself track all the way out to the left and be flat out going over the hill, car pointed straight and steering straight with your foot down. My ***** weren't big enough for that do I kept neutral throttle over the crest.

I'm more than open to criticism on my technique because I want to go faster at lime rock badly, such a great course.

I agree that the track was greasy yesterday, the left hander almost got me as I applied power.

I need to work on my big bend entry as well, think I brake too much.
Old 08-05-2015, 07:02 PM
firstgear
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 640 Likes on 358 Posts
2019 Corvette of the Year Winner
St. Jude Donor '15

Fun!
Old 08-07-2015, 05:21 PM
TKOGTO
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by DLC7
Yeah!

The uphill can be taken flat out BUT to do so requires a very late turn in. I used to do it this way but I am back to the traditional line because even though I am much slower @ the crest, the entry speed is so much higher and the distance traveled is so much shorter that the time is less.

If you want to be WOT, go slow enough to square off the turn with a very late turn in. Squared off, you will likely be about center track, maybe a 1/2 car width to the left. You can add a lot more steering once car is going up the hill here than you think. I am quite aggressive with the SW even now with a slightly early apex. With a very late turn in, the huge compression of front tires gives more grip than any other place I've been to. Once straight, you can go WOT, usually by 1/2 way up the hill.

As you know, getting the hands and the wheels straight cresting the hill is critical. Personally, I don't think the crest is 90* perpendicular to the track. Others I know insist it is. Maybe they have better sorted out suspensions than I do because almost any time I go over the hill when trying to get a good lap in, my rear end goes one way or the other, at least a little. I see the same in other cars all the time. I point the car ever so slightly left and that seems to work. Haven't done it that way enough to be positive but once the grip returns in the fall, I will have a better sense.
Old 08-08-2015, 12:03 AM
DLC7
Drifting

Thanks for that answer.
Now I'm going to view vids with your reply in mind.

There is much to learn here.
Old 08-08-2015, 12:39 PM
68sixspeed
Melting Slicks

Received 154 Likes on 114 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Good lines for your first time there. One suggestion, try turning in sooner on the left hander. Hitting it right you end up hitting the inside at the apex cone and holding the inside to setup the next right hander. Your exit was good, but turning in a bit sooner and really attacking that left apex should help you.

Uphill is tricky, and while a c5 or GS can stay in the power more, on street tires my c6 z06 will tail wag bad over the crown if it has more than 1/3 throttle. Wheels straight is essential, you will see a lot of lines there. Low hp cars like miatas stay left goin up, higher hp cars need to stay more to the middle and top of the crow to avoid tail wag.

More laps and following some faster cars should easily get that car to a 59;x lap. Good luck, thanks for posting the video.

Get notified of new replies

To Track report @ Lime Rock 8/4/15

Quick Reply: Track report @ Lime Rock 8/4/15