C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Starting Over: C7 Z06 Overheating Issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2015, 07:02 AM
Gomer
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Taking lawdogg149's lead..

When I had the car on the lift doing a general inspection, it seemed to me that the (unshielded) oil lines were too close to the cat, oil cooler too. Jeremy , lawdogg149, had already addressed this issue and was kind enough to send me pics of what he did and the materials he used to do it. Ordered the materials last week and installed yesterday.

Taking my M7 Z06/7 to COTA on the 5th. No doubt it will be hot in Austin, mid to high 90's with high humidity. First time on a big track with it, hope cooling stays within limits. We'll see.

Thanks, lawdogg149, hope I have the same results at COTA as you have at Road Atlanta.

Thought I would share a couple of pics for those who may be interested.

EDIT: Added pics of CAI air tube wrap at bottom of post

Oil lines as it came from factory.

What I did yesterday using Heatshield Products part#110614 (1) and high temp heat tape.

Edit: Added CAI air intake tube wrap....

What I did yesterday using Heatshield Products part#110614 (2) and ties, part#350010 (3)<br/>(windward side of lines)

Last edited by Gomer; 08-29-2015 at 08:25 AM.
Old 11-17-2015, 04:42 PM
Razrback16
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey just wanted to say thanks guys for putting this thread together. I'm looking at picking up a Z06 possibly this next spring and had heard some overheating issues with the Z06 and this thread calmed my nerves a bit (I don't track my cars at all so it sounds like it's not a worry for me).

Thanks again.
The following users liked this post:
tonypittman (11-17-2015)
Old 11-18-2015, 12:27 PM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by NSC5
Descartes,

Thanks very much for posting the detailed layout!

Bob,
I thought earlier that this (the low pressure return to the tank) is the most practical point to add an additional cooler. Whether a cooler is in the high pressure or low pressure portion of the lubrication circuit avoiding excessive pressure drop across the cooler is critical. Remember on the high pressure side any pressure drop across the cooler means pressure (and associated flow rate) are reduced for items downstream of the cooler which are actually the focus of the lubrication.

The air ducting shown on one of the other cooling threads would be much better utilized in applying a cooling blast to a high flow cooler on this return line rather than aiming it at the outside of the block mounted fluid to fluid exchanger. If you want to add an air blast to an existing component then thermally bonding fins to the dry sump tank and increasing airflow to this part would be more effective than air flow over the fluid to fluid exchanger but still a marginal increase compared to a good oil to air cooler.
Don't add any restriction to the scavage line going back to the dry sump tank. A major issue with the early C6s was the scavage pump did not flow enough oil back to the dry sump tank at high RPM and engines ran out of oil at high Gs and banking. You never, ever want to restrict oil going back to the dry sump tank with anything. The pressure side of the oil system is where a cooler should go but the cooler should be full flow so no oil pressure is lost.

Jim
Old 11-18-2015, 10:48 PM
Emmdmd
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '19

[QUOTE=Gomer;1590358129]Taking lawdogg149's lead..

When I had the car on the lift doing a general inspection, it seemed to me that the (unshielded) oil lines were too close to the cat, oil cooler too. Jeremy , lawdogg149, had already addressed this issue and was kind enough to send me pics of what he did and the materials he used to do it. Ordered the materials last week and installed yesterday.

Taking my M7 Z06/7 to COTA on the 5th. No doubt it will be hot in Austin, mid to high 90's with high humidity. First time on a big track with it, hope cooling stays within limits. We'll see.

Thanks, lawdogg149, hope I have the same results at COTA as you have at Road Atlanta.

Gomer, have you seen any appreciable decrease in temps on the track with this modification?

Last edited by Emmdmd; 11-18-2015 at 10:50 PM.
Old 11-19-2015, 09:41 AM
c7jim
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

[QUOTE=Emmdmd;1590934491]
Originally Posted by Gomer
Taking lawdogg149's lead..

Gomer, have you seen any appreciable decrease in temps on the track with this modification?
Gomer, 1, any data?
2. I noticed you completely wrapped the oil cooler. Doesn't it need some air flow?
3. Did you use the same heat shield product for everything?
Thanks
Old 01-04-2016, 09:09 PM
ChopperDan64
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

If you watch this video at the 9:55 mark, from Ron Fellows, they talk about the over heating issue on the Z06; although, very briefly. The guy, I can't tell if he's Ron Fellows or Chevy, but he states there is an aux water cooler available from GM that will drop the water temp by 25d. Sounds like it fits both the Z06 and Stingray, did not distinguish between A8 or M7.

Quick Reply: Starting Over: C7 Z06 Overheating Issues