C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Reason why GM did not release the time on NUR

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2015, 04:00 AM
ZnammZ06
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Reason why GM did not release the time on NUR

Here is my common sense speculation:

before I said anything, I do own a 2015 AW Z06 so I'm not a hater or trolling.

Remember when the Z06 scored a killer lap time on VIR? do you ask yourself why GM didn't take long to release it with video and so on?

IMO, its because in that track, the Z06 actually on par or beat cas in higher brackets/classes. It actually beat every super/hyper car out there.

Nurburgring, on the other hand, all we got was "we were very satisfy with the lap time" which leaving much speculations. IMO the Z06 did not beat last gen ZR1 or Z06, GTR Nismo and base GTR, or Viper. the overheat issue is very real and on track like that driven hard by a professional driver, in stock form, overheat is inevitable.

I believes the Z06 falls between Porsche's 991 911S 7:37 and Ferrari 458 7:28. In other words, it beat some exotics cars but at the time didn't beat other revolutionize machines, and most important, the C6 platform.

the thought process is very simple, if you, as a company invent said a CAI and dyno shows that it did not perform better than stock, would u publish it? Maybe it perform 2% percent better than oem, do you think you would get a lot of sales when there are faster and better out there?

Z06 sale right now are strong with most unit sold at MSRP or at least close to MSRP, why publish something that may hurt sale factor? so GM as a business entity knows better than to disclosed something that is not better or barely better.

The argument that Nur does not allow time to be disclosed etc. is totally BS and does not make sense. Let said it is true that GM is not allow to release the time due to legal binding, they cannot said "the C7 Z06 lapped the Nur in a blazing 7:09," for examples, they can said something like:

"we were very satisfy with the lap time, the C7 Z06 time were faster than previous ZR1 and Z06 and, amazing, 1.2 seconds faster than Nissan GTR Nismo published time"

Actual lap time is not release, but we know it is faster than C7 Nismo GTR by 1.2 seconds. Unfortunately, they didn't said something that because it did not happen.

In my overall opinion, What GM did was build a more versatile car with better interior, sounds, looks, but added 400+ pounds in the process which they have to add a supercharger to keep up with the old Z06.

I'm not blaming the engineers or the designer, after all, you got to feed the big fish somehow.
Old 08-18-2015, 04:04 AM
Destrukt
Got Boost?!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-'18.'19

I think we should start a merger thread for why the times have not been released yet.
Old 08-18-2015, 06:17 AM
Babaron
Burning Brakes

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

This makes sense. They are using the old "if it's not broken, don't fix it" advice. As long as sales are brisk, any info that is even lukewarm could only hurt.

BTAIM, I am still thrilled with my car, love every second of driving, and have absolutely no regrets about buying it.
Old 08-18-2015, 07:15 AM
GP1224
Burning Brakes

Received 63 Likes on 41 Posts

Why does anyone care? Yet another useless post about the Ring time and what someone "thinks" they know. When and if there is an actual time, then its something to talk about. Other than that none of these guessing game posts mean anything at all

Last edited by GP1224; 08-18-2015 at 07:18 AM.
Old 08-18-2015, 07:20 AM
Crabbers
Le Mans Master

Received 116 Likes on 79 Posts

They're waiting for more threads to be started about it.
Old 08-18-2015, 07:37 AM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,106 Likes on 718 Posts

The ZR1 ring time with Cup tires was 20 or more secs faster as I recall than the C6 Z06 and the ZR1 has a supercharger.
Old 08-18-2015, 08:25 AM
musclecar6
Le Mans Master

Received 148 Likes on 104 Posts

Although it's fun to dwell on great Ring times, that us vette junkies may enjoy, by now the whole hot car loving world is very familiar with the superb prowess of the C7 Z06. I don't know if announcing a Ring time would make much difference, one way or the other.
Old 08-18-2015, 08:34 AM
mookiec
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GP1224
Why does anyone care? Yet another useless post about the Ring time and what someone "thinks" they know. When and if there is an actual time, then its something to talk about. Other than that none of these guessing game posts mean anything at all
Oh please, if the Z ran 7:05 all the nut huggers would be holding each others in their glory.

The OP makes sense, the car will likely not make it a lap under full power w/out some mods and at this point I wouldn't trust or believe anything GM says.
Old 08-18-2015, 08:55 AM
NYSZ06
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ZnammZ06
Here is my common sense speculation:

before I said anything, I do own a 2015 AW Z06 so I'm not a hater or trolling.

Remember when the Z06 scored a killer lap time on VIR? do you ask yourself why GM didn't take long to release it with video and so on?

IMO, its because in that track, the Z06 actually on par or beat cas in higher brackets/classes. It actually beat every super/hyper car out there.

Nurburgring, on the other hand, all we got was "we were very satisfy with the lap time" which leaving much speculations. IMO the Z06 did not beat last gen ZR1 or Z06, GTR Nismo and base GTR, or Viper. the overheat issue is very real and on track like that driven hard by a professional driver, in stock form, overheat is inevitable.

I believes the Z06 falls between Porsche's 991 911S 7:37 and Ferrari 458 7:28. In other words, it beat some exotics cars but at the time didn't beat other revolutionize machines, and most important, the C6 platform.

the thought process is very simple, if you, as a company invent said a CAI and dyno shows that it did not perform better than stock, would u publish it? Maybe it perform 2% percent better than oem, do you think you would get a lot of sales when there are faster and better out there?

Z06 sale right now are strong with most unit sold at MSRP or at least close to MSRP, why publish something that may hurt sale factor? so GM as a business entity knows better than to disclosed something that is not better or barely better.

The argument that Nur does not allow time to be disclosed etc. is totally BS and does not make sense. Let said it is true that GM is not allow to release the time due to legal binding, they cannot said "the C7 Z06 lapped the Nur in a blazing 7:09," for examples, they can said something like:

"we were very satisfy with the lap time, the C7 Z06 time were faster than previous ZR1 and Z06 and, amazing, 1.2 seconds faster than Nissan GTR Nismo published time"

Actual lap time is not release, but we know it is faster than C7 Nismo GTR by 1.2 seconds. Unfortunately, they didn't said something that because it did not happen.

In my overall opinion, What GM did was build a more versatile car with better interior, sounds, looks, but added 400+ pounds in the process which they have to add a supercharger to keep up with the old Z06.

I'm not blaming the engineers or the designer, after all, you got to feed the big fish somehow.
I'm sorry...you are 100% wrong. I say that emphatically and I can't say more...totally wrong. In addition, logically, the car had out run ( and I bet will turn more tests again ) the ZR1 by 4 or 5 seconds all over the place but on the Nurburgring it's 15 seconds slower because of heat? The heat issue is so overblown but what else is new. For the record, I own a new Z06 and have had zero problems with the car including the track. It would be nice to just appreciate what an achievement this car is for Corvette and what Tadge and the whole team accomplished.
Old 08-18-2015, 09:22 AM
09Z06pj
Le Mans Master

Received 1,100 Likes on 752 Posts

Originally Posted by Crabbers
They're waiting for more threads to be started about it.
If that were the case, it would have been released a long time ago.
Old 08-18-2015, 09:28 AM
mirage2991
Safety Car

Received 250 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by GOLD72
The ZR1 ring time with Cup tires was 20 or more secs faster as I recall than the C6 Z06 and the ZR1 has a supercharger.
no, there was a different starting procedure after 09 if I recall, they re-tested the Z07 Z06 and the Zr1, both on cups, the ZR1 ran 7:19 and the Z06Z07 ran 7:22.
3 sec diff, not 20
Old 08-18-2015, 09:30 AM
NYSZ06
Instructor

Originally Posted by mookiec
Oh please, if the Z ran 7:05 all the nut huggers would be holding each others in their glory.

The OP makes sense, the car will likely not make it a lap under full power w/out some mods and at this point I wouldn't trust or believe anything GM says.
Perhaps it's time to buy a $95,000 300 horse Boxster with leather from the Emperor of Japan's house ( yes that is a Honeymooners reference) and not spend time with us nut huggers
Old 08-18-2015, 09:31 AM
Callsign_Vega
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

All I'll say is that if the C7 Z06 made an amazing time it would have been shouted from the rooftops within days..
Old 08-18-2015, 09:32 AM
Crabbers
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by NYSZ06
Perhaps it's time to buy a $95,000 300 horse Boxster with leather from the Emperor of Japan's house ( yes that is a Honeymooners reference) and not spend time with us nut huggers
Until you post relevant information and discuss it with intelligence, then we'll continue to disregard you. Same reason I disregard people who speculate it did terrible. That being said, the theory that it didn't do well is much more likely considering that GM had the time, said it would be released "soon", and then just never released it without giving a reason.

Why would they not disclose it if it was so good then?

Last edited by Crabbers; 08-18-2015 at 09:37 AM.
Old 08-18-2015, 09:39 AM
NYSZ06
Instructor

Until you post relevant information and discuss it with intelligence, then we'll continue to disregard you. Same reason I disregard people who speculate it did terrible.
Go back and read the basic logic I laid out on other testing and my own experience, and speak for yourself. BTW, I wasn't answering you
Old 08-18-2015, 09:45 AM
Crabbers
Le Mans Master

Go back and read the basic logic I laid out on other testing and my own experience, and speak for yourself. BTW, I wasn't answering you
You quoted me before I finished my edit.

VIR is totally irrelevant. They repaved and changed the track before the Z06 ran. Aside from that you haven't really posted anything useful. And it doesn't matter who you're responding to, if you act like a tool you'll get called on it.
Old 08-18-2015, 09:51 AM
mookiec
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It would be nice to just appreciate what an achievement this car is for Corvette and what Tadge and the whole team accomplished.
Tell me what achievement was accomplished? GM took the C7 Gen and evolved it into a Z06, made it lateral or slightly better than the ZR1 in some areas but seemingly missed the boat in others. I think it is fair to say that any company releasing a new product should have evolved said product into a better version of it's predecessor and GM did that in some areas, in others it appears to be no better or inferior.

That is my opinion, as for performance well when you're working with better tires/brakes/suspension etc. the car should track faster yet we can't get a Ring time and it was there twice. Just stating facts, and by the way the whole track prep exercise in nonsense, if this is the most able track Corvette ever built it should be able to be driven to the track, run all day and driven home like a Porsche or Viper.

Get notified of new replies

To Reason why GM did not release the time on NUR

Old 08-18-2015, 09:52 AM
NYSZ06
Instructor

You quoted me before I finished my edit.

VIR is totally irrelevant. They repaved and changed the track before the Z06 ran. Aside from that you haven't really posted anything useful. And it doesn't matter who you're responding to, if you act like a tool you'll get called on it.
Doom and gloom man...is there any other reason why your name is "crabbers" other than the obvious?
Old 08-18-2015, 09:53 AM
Crabbers
Le Mans Master

Doom and gloom man...is there any other reason why your name is "crabbers" other than the obvious?
I don't see the world through rose colored glasses. You have yet to answer my question. If the time was so good, then why don't they just tell us? It went around well before the speed limits were imposed
Old 08-18-2015, 10:10 AM
NYSZ06
Instructor

I don't see the world through rose colored glasses. You have yet to answer my question. If the time was so good, then why don't they just tell us? It went around well before the speed limits were imposed
Tell you what..I won't inflame this situation any more. I will take a step back and answer shortly your question and maybe address the other gent but man I tell you the doom and gloom is flowing. I have to run but will be back.

Quick Reply: Reason why GM did not release the time on NUR