C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Callaway Z06 lap times

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2015, 01:09 PM
not4hwy
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Callaway Z06 lap times

I read the Motor Trend retest for the 2015 z06 vs gtr nismo and how the rear end was out of alignment and after a retest got 1:25(haha gtr fanboys). In the comments I saw people talking about the ams gtr and how the mid power packages could get get a better time and that got me thinking. They already had randy test the callaway stingray it did pretty good(not z06 good but good). What would randy be able to get with the callaway z06?
Old 08-24-2015, 06:26 PM
n_coming
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 08-24-2015, 06:43 PM
four0nefive
Melting Slicks

Received 381 Likes on 236 Posts

Depends on how much faster the car is on the straights, because that's the only place where the Z06 really is at a disadvantage to the Nismo. I think it would be around 1:24 or so.
Old 08-24-2015, 06:53 PM
soulsea
Alcoholics Unanimous
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,653 Likes on 414 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16

It depends on which track it's running.

In my experience lack of hp isn't the weak link in the lap time chain with the Z06. Knowing how to modulate that power through turns with the Z06's weight is the key variable in lap times. The only difference the added hp will make is if you're on a track with such a long straight that a few extra mph will make a difference, but throttle control will be even more challenging with the extra power of the Callaway.

All things being equal I wouldn't expect a Callaway Z06 to lap faster than a Z06/07 at 99% of HPDE tracks. Nring times would prolly be slightly better, but that's Cars&Coffee pissing contest banter unless you track the Nring.
Old 08-24-2015, 09:09 PM
n_coming
Instructor

Originally Posted by soulsea
It depends on which track it's running.

In my experience lack of hp isn't the weak link in the lap time chain with the Z06. Knowing how to modulate that power through turns with the Z06's weight is the key variable in lap times. The only difference the added hp will make is if you're on a track with such a long straight that a few extra mph will make a difference, but throttle control will be even more challenging with the extra power of the Callaway.

All things being equal I wouldn't expect a Callaway Z06 to lap faster than a Z06/07 at 99% of HPDE tracks. Nring times would prolly be slightly better, but that's Cars&Coffee pissing contest banter unless you track the Nring.
It's Randy. He has raced rwd cars with a lot more power than a callaway. He wouldn't have a problem. I'd say 1:23
Old 08-24-2015, 09:16 PM
soulsea
Alcoholics Unanimous
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,653 Likes on 414 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16

Originally Posted by n_coming
It's Randy. He has raced rwd cars with a lot more power than a callaway. He wouldn't have a problem. I'd say 1:23
True enough ... most of us aren't pro drivers.

My point being that lack of HP isn't what holds the Z06 back in regards to lap times at most tracks ... it's always nice to have more HP but there are cars with less HP than the Z06 that would lap faster with Randy at the wheel.

I'd be interested to see him drive the base Z06 and Callaway(with same aero/tires) back to back at the same track, but my guess is that the lap times would be very similar on most tracks where half the track isn't a straight.
Old 08-25-2015, 09:02 AM
n_coming
Instructor

Originally Posted by soulsea
True enough ... most of us aren't pro drivers.

My point being that lack of HP isn't what holds the Z06 back in regards to lap times at most tracks ... it's always nice to have more HP but there are cars with less HP than the Z06 that would lap faster with Randy at the wheel.

I'd be interested to see him drive the base Z06 and Callaway(with same aero/tires) back to back at the same track, but my guess is that the lap times would be very similar on most tracks where half the track isn't a straight.
You don't haft to wait longer to get on the power you just can't get on it as much. For example: your coming out of a turn where the most power the car can take it 500 to the wheels. Stock let's say that's 75% throttle. With the callaway it would be closer to 60% throttle. But when your tires get full traction you have a lot more power with the callaway. Once again driver skill and knowing the car. And this is randy, he can manage the throttle. I think it would be a couple seconds quicker where ever you track it with a pro driver.

Get notified of new replies

To Callaway Z06 lap times

Quick Reply: Callaway Z06 lap times